Compounds versus their Precursors - Which to Supplement with?

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Veteran

Compounds versus their Precursors - Which to Supplement with?

I'm just in the middle of reading a chapter for a nutrition course I'm in and in discussing B vitamins, it mentions obtaining certain vitamins directly through food or supplementation or ingesting a precursor that the body can turn into that vitamin. I've thought about this before; this was just the trigger for me to post this. B vitamins are just one example of many different vitamins/minerals/compounds that the body produces or needs in which you can take the source directly or a precursor to let your body do the conversion.

I'm just curious, what are your thoughts on this, Doc? I would venture to guess that it varies from case to case (i.e. there isn't a blanket statement of compound is always better than precursor, or vice versa), but I obviously don't know; hence my asking.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve

2. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.48%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

It varies with everything...very dependent on the pharmacokinetics and dynamics of the respective compounds.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    It varies with everything...very dependent on the pharmacokinetics and dynamics of the respective compounds.
    I figured as much; especially with bioavailability. I thought I'd ask anyway, though, just in case if all things were considered equal, it was better to take an active form or make your body do the conversion.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2009, 02:12 AM
  2. Precursors such as equatrol or tren-x
    By James214 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 06:19 PM
  3. SURGH or other GH precursors
    By theBIGcactus in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0