Melatonin Supplementation - Can you stop your natural production?

SNM

Awards
Hi.

Have searched a lot regarding this issue and cannot find any solid answers; keep finding contradicting information.

Im just 20 years old and have a horrible time sleeping. I take NO stimulants, not even drink tea due to the minuscule amount of caffeine which in-turn will keep me up all night.

However, since taking melatonin (1.5mg) before I get to bed, I fall asleep basically straight away and feel half decent the next day, (although i still wake up multiple times during the night).

Now my question is, does supplementing melatonin everynight stop your natural production of melatonin? Are there any other issues when supplementing melatonin?

I would love to take this stuff everynight as it has helped my sleeping problems considerably; more than any other natural supplement.

Thanks.

Gorilla Brown

Gorilla Brown

Awards
I use 6mgs of melatonin a night and 2 servings of bodybuilding.com gaba per night. Im a hyper individual and can barely fall asleep or stay asleep. This stack helps me relax and sleep great.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
You should be using micrograms of melatonin with a maximum of 1mg

SNM

Awards
So know worrys about it affecting your natural Melatonin production?

If so it can't be good suppressing it for long periods; just like the use of AAS on HTPA..

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Supplemental melatonin does not down regulate your natural production.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
There are studies using much higher doses of melatonin for its anti-inflammatory properties, but I've never run across any noting any long term suppression. lef.org has lots of info on it.

I've used it at upwards of 30 mg per night for months at a time, stopped taking it and had mostly normal sleep patterns. I normally have some insomnia without sleep aids, so perhaps I'm not the best example. I'm interested in what the good Dr has to say though.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
There are studies using much higher doses of melatonin for its anti-inflammatory properties, but I've never run across any noting any long term suppression. lef.org has lots of info on it.

I've used it at upwards of 30 mg per night for months at a time, stopped taking it and had mostly normal sleep patterns. I normally have some insomnia without sleep aids, so perhaps I'm not the best example. I'm interested in what the good Dr has to say though.
Jesus Christ man, I took 10 mgs one time and when I woke up I felt like I needed to sleep ALL DAY. Talkin like Zombie **** lol

SNM

Awards
30mg :eek: , that's a lot! I took 3mg the first time, and the next day I regretted it. Now I just break them in half and that does the job nicely.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Are you sure you didn't mean 30 mcg? 30 mg is a huge dose.

SNM

Awards
Im pretty sure he means mg' as its not commonly sold in mcg

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
It is sold just as often in mcg doses I have taken it for years. Generally 50 - 300 mcg though.

SNM

Awards
It is sold just as often in mcg doses I have taken it for years. Generally 50 - 300 mcg though.
My mistake, been taking melatonin for a good few months yet never seen it available in mcg. Will have to buy it in mcg next time; means I dont have to break a capsule.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Nope...Mg's in my case. I built up the dose slowly over time to evaluate any anti-inflammatory/antioxidant/HGH boosting properties. My skin seemed a bit nicer, retained mass nicely, no fogginess, but not really worth the hassle IMO.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would feel like death after a dose like that. You must be a wired person lol.