CoQ10/Ubiquinol

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I see this is in your top 10 supplements. Could you perhaps elaborate on its merit in healthy individuals? It's something I've been looking at for quite some time, but as of yet, I'm not sold on its benefits in trained, healthy populations.

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
Also interested in this. What are your thoughts on Ubiquinol vs Idebenone in terms of efficacy?

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
I see this is in your top 10 supplements. Could you perhaps elaborate on its merit in healthy individuals? It's something I've been looking at for quite some time, but as of yet, I'm not sold on its benefits in trained, healthy populations.
Also interested in this. What are your thoughts on Ubiquinol vs Idebenone in terms of efficacy?
subd for both sets of questions.

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Idebenone is of the quinone family, however, it should not be suggested as equivalent to either Ubiquinone or Ubiquinol except perhaps from an oxidation standpoint (it is in fact, a very powerful antioxidant like CoQ10) - however, Idebenone hasn't really been very well studied outside of neurologic disturbances (where it was initial market attempts were made by the pharmaceutical industry and went bust for a reason).

In any event, I will let ergo-log tell the tale of CoQ10 athletic uses (frankly because they have some citations grouped already)...

http://www.ergo-log.com/q10endurance.html
http://www.ergo-log.com/q10muscle.html
http://www.ergo-log.com/q10fat.html (as little as 30mg)

But, I would also like you to take a look at the muscle fiber differential and concentration of type IIs that declines with aging (aging that begins the MINUTE you are born).

http://www.heartflo.com/coq10-resources/HumanAging_Global_Function_Coenzyme_Q10.pdf

Now - to have a significant ERGOGENIC effect, I think the average 200-lb bodybuilder needs about 400 mg of Ubiquinone OR 200 mg of Ubiquinol daily. I haven't even talked about ALL THE HEALTH ASPECTS of the compound...for anyone interested though, you can search CoQ10 and heart failure or CoQ10 and heart attack or CoQ10 and stroke. I think you'd be surprised at what you find.

How about the "silent killer" (hypertension or high blood pressure) - it can lower blood pressure (as suggested in a meta-analysis of like 10 trials I think) of 17 mmHg systolic and 10 mmHg diastolic. So - let's say you have a higher blood pressure of about 140/92; it'd look a lot nicer to say that was 123/82 with little effort (granted, I am SIMPLIFYING this story a LOT but for illustrative sake...it makes huge sense).

Want more health effects: extends life, reduced Parkinsonian tremors (unfortunately 1200 mg per day was ingested which wouldn't be economical in most people's land...but it is interesting - kind of like Lou Gherig's disease responding to 40 MG ... NOT mcg guys ... of Methylcobalamin - a whopping dose...these are conditions that are otherwise debilitating or life-ending). Now, please don't assume this means I suggest taking boatloads of all of these nutrients - it simply hasn't been studied so there is no way to predict what kind of results you'd get in a normal person, BUT given our lifestyle (one that I hope means you are busting your a$$ in the gym daily and you live it to the fullest) - this could be perhaps the SINGLE-MOST important element you could take from so many different levels.

I hope if I have even convinced one of you to start that it will mean something - it's not going to be instantaneous (like say a stimulant)...but give it three months and next to a baby aspirin...it may be the single-most beneficial thing you could do for yourself.

D_

Simon Keller

Awards
Very nice, thanks Dana...

And to anyone, is Swanson Vitamins Reputable... ie, meeting label claims etc...

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Thank you Dr.Houser. I'm going to start 200-250 mg of Ubiquinol daily.

Very nice, thanks Dana...

And to anyone, is Swanson Vitamins Reputable... ie, meeting label claims etc...
Never heard a bad thing about swanson. I use some of their stuff now and then.

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the answers. I'll definitely have to take another look at this product.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I usually shoot for NOW, Swanson, AOR, LEF or Jarrows for my single ingredient needs since I trust them for the most part.

MurphyMove

Awards
Great information...especially when thinking about long term health benefits.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Excellent post, doc!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good info. If taking 200mg ubiquinol daily what would be the optimal way to dose it?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Good info. If taking 200mg ubiquinol daily what would be the optimal way to dose it?
I'm going to go off on a tangent here and say 200mg ubiquinol daily.

Just kidding, have it with a meal that contains fat.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
There is a superb CoQ10 product at Walmart for 28 bucks called 'Qunol' and it lasts a month at 400mg per day. I'm staring at it right now ;) It contains MCTs, hydroxylated lecithin, and some other compounds to increase absorption. 28 bucks a month for a whopping dose to prevent heart issues, stabilize blood pressure, help prevent heart attacks, provide better oxygen utilization and superior anti-ox capacity... Money well spent!

Thank you Dr. Houser for sharing the dosage info. I have been taking 600mg per day while reducing some medication (Librium) to help prevent spikes in blood pressure and strain on the heart and now I can have my dosage verified by a doctor. ;)

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm going to go off on a tangent here and say 200mg ubiquinol daily.

Just kidding, have it with a meal that contains fat.
Yeah that's what I've always done. I was just wondering if there would be any benefit by taking 100mg twice a day or any other split.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea i take 200mgs of ubiquinol from natures bounty with a baby asprin in the am.

Went to the doc n bp was 125/72. Not bad considering high blood pressure runs in the fam.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that's what I've always done. I was just wondering if there would be any benefit by taking 100mg twice a day or any other split.
I highly, highly doubt it. It's fat soluble and will remain in your system a little while after you stop taking it.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lowers blood pressure for real!!!! Ive used it for that!

SupremeMMA

Awards
Good info here.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Well Dr. Houser as per your recommendation, I picked up some 400mg Ubiquinone. It was a lot more cost effective than Ubiquinol where I shop. I'm reading now that ubiquinol is up to 6x more potent than ubiquinone gram for gram...would this not necessitate a higher than 400mg dose of Ubiquinone?

stopstalking

stopstalking

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well based on this I just purchased my first month worth of ubiquinol at 200mg a day. Would there be any reason to dose higher ?

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well based on this I just purchased my first month worth of ubiquinol at 200mg a day. Would there be any reason to dose higher ?
Im not a doc obviously but thats what ive been taking for months now.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Im not a doc obviously but thats what ive been taking for months now.
I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV ;) ...well depending on what's in your DVD player :27:

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Reading everything in here and having a family history of high blood pressure I went and purchased a few months worth i'll be curious to see how it affects my BP.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
There is a superb CoQ10 product at Walmart for 28 bucks called 'Qunol' and it lasts a month at 400mg per day. I'm staring at it right now ;) It contains MCTs, hydroxylated lecithin, and some other compounds to increase absorption. 28 bucks a month for a whopping dose to prevent heart issues, stabilize blood pressure, help prevent heart attacks, provide better oxygen utilization and superior anti-ox capacity... Money well spent!

Thank you Dr. Houser for sharing the dosage info. I have been taking 600mg per day while reducing some medication (Librium) to help prevent spikes in blood pressure and strain on the heart and now I can have my dosage verified by a doctor. ;)
I know I'm quoting myself from an old post, but I ran out about 10 days ago or maybe 14? and I notice major differences. I am honestly buying it tomorrow and jumping back on it.

Dr. Hauser, are there benefits as far as taking ubiquinol and idebenone together? I keep reading about idebenone having a more pronounced effect on the brain whereas ubiquinol is more for the heart and other tissue, though I do notice a big difference as far as mood while on ubiquinol. I have some expired coQ10 zipmelts that I am loading up on to get it back in my system and into my organs again. Can you please share more knowledge on your advice for dosing idebenone and any synergy with the two? Any comprehensive information would be much appreciated.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I highly, highly doubt it. It's fat soluble and will remain in your system a little while after you stop taking it.
I was wrong. Idebenone is fat soluble. My bad. I do think that once coQ10 is saturated in the body, that once daily dosing should be fine unless you are taking a very large dose and want to divide it amongst your first 2 meals to avoid any possible sleep disturbances.

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I am going to update my own case. I have a strong family history of high BP (both parents; all 4 grandparents).

I didn't have high BP unless on nandralone species PH/PS/AAS. I have sworn off all ergogenics of the anabolic variety for the past few years and somehow found myself creeping up into the pre-HTN / Stage I HTN class. Two months ago, my average systolic BP was about 138-142 mmHg before CoQ10. I month ago, my average systolic BP was about 128-134 mmHg. Today's BP was 116/74.

I have started recommending CoQ10 at 200 mg (studied dose) to ALL my patients (I can't go higher than study dose in recommendation, it is not a patient's job to "experiment"); however, my experiment above was with either 800mg Ubiquinone or 400 mg Ubiquinol.

I will comment more on this a bit later, but I did want to take a second to share this with all as I have found this to be an exceptional health value NO MATTER THE COST (ubiquinol or ubiquinone).

D_

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Great info. I've taken either 100 mg ubiquinol or idebenone for years. High doses of either give me some crazy energy and sometimes, insomnia. I have a BP like Dinoii so I may try to up the dose of ubiquinol. It's definitely great for endurance given that I walk all day for a living.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
Would this dosage be any different for a teen or lower to mid 20 something?

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Would this dosage be any different for a teen or lower to mid 20 something?
200mg was the standard dose in studies; as such I cannot diverge much from that number in "recommendation" unfortunately. You will have to extrapolate on your own.

D_