CoQ10/Ubiquinol - AnabolicMinds.com

CoQ10/Ubiquinol

1. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

CoQ10/Ubiquinol

I see this is in your top 10 supplements. Could you perhaps elaborate on its merit in healthy individuals? It's something I've been looking at for quite some time, but as of yet, I'm not sold on its benefits in trained, healthy populations.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Subbed for info.
  3. New Member

Also interested in this. What are your thoughts on Ubiquinol vs Idebenone in terms of efficacy?
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I see this is in your top 10 supplements. Could you perhaps elaborate on its merit in healthy individuals? It's something I've been looking at for quite some time, but as of yet, I'm not sold on its benefits in trained, healthy populations.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymode View Post
    Also interested in this. What are your thoughts on Ubiquinol vs Idebenone in terms of efficacy?
    subd for both sets of questions.
    :blindfold:
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by monstermash View Post
    subd for both sets of questions.
    Ill come along for the ride as well
    Controlled Labs Warder
    Powercage [at] controlledlabs.com
    FREE Samples: www.controlledlabs.com/freesamplerpack2.php
  6. Featured Author

Idebenone is of the quinone family, however, it should not be suggested as equivalent to either Ubiquinone or Ubiquinol except perhaps from an oxidation standpoint (it is in fact, a very powerful antioxidant like CoQ10) - however, Idebenone hasn't really been very well studied outside of neurologic disturbances (where it was initial market attempts were made by the pharmaceutical industry and went bust for a reason).

In any event, I will let ergo-log tell the tale of CoQ10 athletic uses (frankly because they have some citations grouped already)...

http://www.ergo-log.com/q10endurance.html
    http://www.ergo-log.com/q10muscle.html
    http://www.ergo-log.com/q10fat.html (as little as 30mg)

But, I would also like you to take a look at the muscle fiber differential and concentration of type IIs that declines with aging (aging that begins the MINUTE you are born).

http://www.heartflo.com/coq10-resour...enzyme_Q10.pdf

Now - to have a significant ERGOGENIC effect, I think the average 200-lb bodybuilder needs about 400 mg of Ubiquinone OR 200 mg of Ubiquinol daily. I haven't even talked about ALL THE HEALTH ASPECTS of the compound...for anyone interested though, you can search CoQ10 and heart failure or CoQ10 and heart attack or CoQ10 and stroke. I think you'd be surprised at what you find.

How about the "silent killer" (hypertension or high blood pressure) - it can lower blood pressure (as suggested in a meta-analysis of like 10 trials I think) of 17 mmHg systolic and 10 mmHg diastolic. So - let's say you have a higher blood pressure of about 140/92; it'd look a lot nicer to say that was 123/82 with little effort (granted, I am SIMPLIFYING this story a LOT but for illustrative sake...it makes huge sense).

Want more health effects: extends life, reduced Parkinsonian tremors (unfortunately 1200 mg per day was ingested which wouldn't be economical in most people's land...but it is interesting - kind of like Lou Gherig's disease responding to 40 MG ... NOT mcg guys ... of Methylcobalamin - a whopping dose...these are conditions that are otherwise debilitating or life-ending). Now, please don't assume this means I suggest taking boatloads of all of these nutrients - it simply hasn't been studied so there is no way to predict what kind of results you'd get in a normal person, BUT given our lifestyle (one that I hope means you are busting your a$$ in the gym daily and you live it to the fullest) - this could be perhaps the SINGLE-MOST important element you could take from so many different levels.

I hope if I have even convinced one of you to start that it will mean something - it's not going to be instantaneous (like say a stimulant)...but give it three months and next to a baby aspirin...it may be the single-most beneficial thing you could do for yourself.

D_
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  7. New Member

Very nice, thanks Dana...

And to anyone, is Swanson Vitamins Reputable... ie, meeting label claims etc...
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.

Thank you Dr.Houser. I'm going to start 200-250 mg of Ubiquinol daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Keller View Post
    Very nice, thanks Dana...

And to anyone, is Swanson Vitamins Reputable... ie, meeting label claims etc...
    Never heard a bad thing about swanson. I use some of their stuff now and then.
    :blindfold:
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Thanks for the answers. I'll definitely have to take another look at this product.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I usually shoot for NOW, Swanson, AOR, LEF or Jarrows for my single ingredient needs since I trust them for the most part.
    Controlled Labs Warder
    Powercage [at] controlledlabs.com
    FREE Samples: www.controlledlabs.com/freesamplerpack2.php
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

Great information...especially when thinking about long term health benefits.
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Excellent post, doc!
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Good info. If taking 200mg ubiquinol daily what would be the optimal way to dose it?
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  14. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by breezy11 View Post
    Good info. If taking 200mg ubiquinol daily what would be the optimal way to dose it?
    I'm going to go off on a tangent here and say 200mg ubiquinol daily.

Just kidding, have it with a meal that contains fat.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

There is a superb CoQ10 product at Walmart for 28 bucks called 'Qunol' and it lasts a month at 400mg per day. I'm staring at it right now It contains MCTs, hydroxylated lecithin, and some other compounds to increase absorption. 28 bucks a month for a whopping dose to prevent heart issues, stabilize blood pressure, help prevent heart attacks, provide better oxygen utilization and superior anti-ox capacity... Money well spent!

Thank you Dr. Houser for sharing the dosage info. I have been taking 600mg per day while reducing some medication (Librium) to help prevent spikes in blood pressure and strain on the heart and now I can have my dosage verified by a doctor.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

I'm going to go off on a tangent here and say 200mg ubiquinol daily.

Just kidding, have it with a meal that contains fat.
    Yeah that's what I've always done. I was just wondering if there would be any benefit by taking 100mg twice a day or any other split.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  17. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Yea i take 200mgs of ubiquinol from natures bounty with a baby asprin in the am.

Went to the doc n bp was 125/72. Not bad considering high blood pressure runs in the fam.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by breezy11 View Post
    Yeah that's what I've always done. I was just wondering if there would be any benefit by taking 100mg twice a day or any other split.
    I highly, highly doubt it. It's fat soluble and will remain in your system a little while after you stop taking it.
  19. Senior Member

Lowers blood pressure for real!!!! Ive used it for that!
  20. New Member

Good info here.
    Xtreme Formulations Forum Rep www.xfmuscle.com
  21. Diamond Member

Well Dr. Houser as per your recommendation, I picked up some 400mg Ubiquinone. It was a lot more cost effective than Ubiquinol where I shop. I'm reading now that ubiquinol is up to 6x more potent than ubiquinone gram for gram...would this not necessitate a higher than 400mg dose of Ubiquinone?
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  209 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Well based on this I just purchased my first month worth of ubiquinol at 200mg a day. Would there be any reason to dose higher ?
  23. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by stopstalking View Post
    Well based on this I just purchased my first month worth of ubiquinol at 200mg a day. Would there be any reason to dose higher ?
    Im not a doc obviously but thats what ive been taking for months now.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT View Post
    Im not a doc obviously but thats what ive been taking for months now.
    I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV ...well depending on what's in your DVD player
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Reading everything in here and having a family history of high blood pressure I went and purchased a few months worth i'll be curious to see how it affects my BP.
    PES Representative
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    There is a superb CoQ10 product at Walmart for 28 bucks called 'Qunol' and it lasts a month at 400mg per day. I'm staring at it right now It contains MCTs, hydroxylated lecithin, and some other compounds to increase absorption. 28 bucks a month for a whopping dose to prevent heart issues, stabilize blood pressure, help prevent heart attacks, provide better oxygen utilization and superior anti-ox capacity... Money well spent!

Thank you Dr. Houser for sharing the dosage info. I have been taking 600mg per day while reducing some medication (Librium) to help prevent spikes in blood pressure and strain on the heart and now I can have my dosage verified by a doctor.
    I know I'm quoting myself from an old post, but I ran out about 10 days ago or maybe 14? and I notice major differences. I am honestly buying it tomorrow and jumping back on it.

Dr. Hauser, are there benefits as far as taking ubiquinol and idebenone together? I keep reading about idebenone having a more pronounced effect on the brain whereas ubiquinol is more for the heart and other tissue, though I do notice a big difference as far as mood while on ubiquinol. I have some expired coQ10 zipmelts that I am loading up on to get it back in my system and into my organs again. Can you please share more knowledge on your advice for dosing idebenone and any synergy with the two? Any comprehensive information would be much appreciated.
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    I highly, highly doubt it. It's fat soluble and will remain in your system a little while after you stop taking it.
    I was wrong. Idebenone is fat soluble. My bad. I do think that once coQ10 is saturated in the body, that once daily dosing should be fine unless you are taking a very large dose and want to divide it amongst your first 2 meals to avoid any possible sleep disturbances.
  28. Featured Author

I am going to update my own case. I have a strong family history of high BP (both parents; all 4 grandparents).

I didn't have high BP unless on nandralone species PH/PS/AAS. I have sworn off all ergogenics of the anabolic variety for the past few years and somehow found myself creeping up into the pre-HTN / Stage I HTN class. Two months ago, my average systolic BP was about 138-142 mmHg before CoQ10. I month ago, my average systolic BP was about 128-134 mmHg. Today's BP was 116/74.

I have started recommending CoQ10 at 200 mg (studied dose) to ALL my patients (I can't go higher than study dose in recommendation, it is not a patient's job to "experiment"); however, my experiment above was with either 800mg Ubiquinone or 400 mg Ubiquinol.

I will comment more on this a bit later, but I did want to take a second to share this with all as I have found this to be an exceptional health value NO MATTER THE COST (ubiquinol or ubiquinone).

D_
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Great info. I've taken either 100 mg ubiquinol or idebenone for years. High doses of either give me some crazy energy and sometimes, insomnia. I have a BP like Dinoii so I may try to up the dose of ubiquinol. It's definitely great for endurance given that I walk all day for a living.
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Would this dosage be any different for a teen or lower to mid 20 something?
    Always willing to learn :D
  31. Featured Author

Quote Originally Posted by BigRigg View Post
    Would this dosage be any different for a teen or lower to mid 20 something?
    200mg was the standard dose in studies; as such I cannot diverge much from that number in "recommendation" unfortunately. You will have to extrapolate on your own.

D_
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  202 lbs.

Should you split the dose or take it all at once?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 02:43 PM
  2. coq10
    By wedlund6 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 04:15 PM
  3. 5-HTP & CoQ10
    By Dyou in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 09:34 PM