Artificial Sweeteners

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Research from Italy reported that there's NO LINK (contrary to popular opinion) between artificial sweeteners and the risk of cancer. Scientists took 230 people with stomach cancer and 547 controls; 326 people with pancreatic cancer and 652 healthy controls; and 454 people with endometrial cancer and 908 healthy controls, and separated them into groups of artificial sweetener-users and nonusers. They reported that theusers were no more likely to get ANY of the cancers.

If you have any research or inquiry regarding these sweet substances, this is the place....

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Awards
I knew that.
On test animals they give so much it is no wonder they get cancer

Ligmenos

Ligmenos

Awards
First Experimental Demonstration of the Multipotential Carcinogenic Effects of Aspartame Administered in the Feed to Sprague-Dawley Rats
Morando Soffritti, Fiorella Belpoggi, Davide Degli Esposti, Luca Lambertini, Eva Tibaldi, and Anna Rigano

Cesare Maltoni Cancer Research Center, European Ramazzini Foundation of Oncology and Environmental Sciences, Bologna, Italy

Abstract
The Cesare Maltoni Cancer Research Center of the European Ramazzini Foundation has conducted a long-term bioassay on aspartame (APM) , a widely used artificial sweetener. APM was administered with feed to 8-week-old Sprague-Dawley rats (100-150/sex/group) , at concentrations of 100,000, 50,000, 10,000, 2,000, 400, 80, or 0 ppm. The treatment lasted until natural death, at which time all deceased animals underwent complete necropsy. Histopathologic evaluation of all pathologic lesions and of all organs and tissues collected was routinely performed on each animal of all experimental groups. The results of the study show for the first time that APM, in our experimental conditions, causes a) an increased incidence of malignant-tumor-bearing animals with a positive significant trend in males (p ≤ 0.05) and in females (p ≤ 0.01) , in particular those females treated at 50,000 ppm (p ≤ 0.01) ; b) an increase in lymphomas and leukemias with a positive significant trend in both males (p ≤ 0.05) and females (p ≤ 0.01) , in particular in females treated at doses of 100,000 (p ≤ 0.01) , 50,000 (p ≤ 0.01) , 10,000 (p ≤ 0.05) , 2,000 (p ≤ 0.05) , or 400 ppm (p ≤ 0.01) ; c) a statistically significant increased incidence, with a positive significant trend (p ≤ 0.01) , of transitional cell carcinomas of the renal pelvis and ureter and their precursors (dysplasias) in females treated at 100,000 (p ≤ 0.01) , 50,000 (p ≤ 0.01) , 10,000 (p ≤ 0.01) , 2,000 (p ≤ 0.05) , or 400 ppm (p ≤ 0.05) ; and d) an increased incidence of malignant schwannomas of peripheral nerves with a positive trend (p ≤ 0.05) in males. The results of this mega-experiment indicate that APM is a multipotential carcinogenic agent, even at a daily dose of 20 mg/kg body weight, much less than the current acceptable daily intake. On the basis of these results, a reevaluation of the present guidelines on the use and consumption of APM is urgent and cannot be delayed.

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
both my nutrition AND toxicology teachers taught us the same thing in college, saying the 'dangers' of artificial sweetners were over hyped... still people dont believe me when i tell them that.

mcmayne

mcmayne

Awards
this is really good to know. I hope this isn't too far off-topic, but I'd be curious about the Dr.'s opinion on artificial colors. are they cause for concern? some popular multi-vitamins are riddled with artificial colors (and I flat out avoid them because of this), not to mention pre-workouts, intras, etc. Thanks.