Top 10 Supplements - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 8

Top 10 Supplements

Page 8 of 11 First ... 3678910 ... Last
  1. Featured Author

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I can't speak for Dr. Houser, but I think they should be staples, with ALCAR and LCLT at the forefront and PLCAR a close second.

No supplement that I know of doses all 3 at 2g/day/

Use Geronova-licensed Na-R-ALA here on NP.
    Ha! Perhaps not (and maybe that is the PC version response), but you are certainly accomplishing quite the following here in my absence and I enjoy reading your comments.

I do think that the total carnitine concentration is pertinent and oftentimes not addressed accordingly because of various supplement study directives. It is not to suggest certain carnitine salts would hold pertinence in different settings (in other words, that PLC couldn't be better suited for AR upregulation; just that they don't have the vested-interest studies that are done with LCLT). But, in the sense of evidence-based, a mixture of salts is what I recommend until research does better answer this question.

Now, the problem (for anyone in manufacturing) with PLC is that it frankly is a sticky nightmare in manufacturing of quality PLC source, so - like the COP scenario - finding a quality source may be a true issue. I did mention a supplement on the horizon that manages to do what quadracarn may not - but the snag with its release was PLC, and unfortunately...LCF had to be used to replace production issues and I assure you that projects I am involved in are better-sourced that things you may find on the net elsewhere...period, so the issue is the ingredient unfortunately.

But, yes, I do agree that carnitine salts (Possibly would agree with ALCAR > LCLT > PLC; don't care...probably comes down to total carnitine shuttling efforts anyway...so if you were going to go with one alone, I think even 6 grams of ALCAR would be the primary thought and so on if you could afford it, even moreso with wasted prop blended crap that people invest in or woefully fictitious sh*t that plagues supplement site storefronts) should be considered a staple in every serious lifter and life extension enthusiast period (and yes, Na-R-ALA as a coupling effort with ALCAR would be ideal for those well-versed in the benefits).

See coop, you did generally well speaking for me.

D_
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

so dose morning and night split sittings
  3. Featured Author

Good man. I am in disagreement with dinoiii in that the true benefit of LCLT is effects on recovery (of which increased AR density is actually a product). A great addition to any athlete/weightlifter's stack. 1-2g (and up to 4g) of LCLT have been proven effective, and 2g for PLCAR and ALCAR.
    I don't know that we disagree exactly.

Post-workout, AR efficiency is at its highest. Could you prove supra-physiologic in that setting...probably; would cummulative effects at other times be more efficient? Hasn't been studied unfortunately.

If you couple pre-workout niacin (roughly 2 grams of phospholipid-version Enduracin, mind you - I have no vested interest in this product...UNfortunately!); with post-workout LCLT ... you're probably getting the biggest bang for your buck. Pre-bedtime nutrition then could best be next described for which I think higher utility of Humanofort should be looked at in all honesty.

But, hey...I won't let too many cats out of the bag...yet.

D_
    •   

4. Featured Author

Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    so dose morning and night split sittings
    Of carnitine salts? Yes. My preferred would be 2 grams at 3 evenly-spaced timeframes.

D_
  5. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Oh, how I enjoy that Dr. D is back.

I learn so much about why and how to supplement correctly from you. I actually keep notes of your protocols and suggestions.
  6. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    I don't know that we disagree exactly.

Post-workout, AR efficiency is at its highest. Could you prove supra-physiologic in that setting...probably; would cummulative effects at other times be more efficient? Hasn't been studied unfortunately.

If you couple pre-workout niacin (roughly 2 grams of phospholipid-version Enduracin, mind you - I have no vested interest in this product...UNfortunately!); with post-workout LCLT ... you're probably getting the biggest bang for your buck. Pre-bedtime nutrition then could best be next described for which I think higher utility of Humanofort should be looked at in all honesty.

But, hey...I won't let too many cats out of the bag...yet.

D_
    Dr. Houser,

I'm really interested in the bold part. The only thing I have heard of Humanfort was that it is a waste of money. (Obviously, I haven't heard anything from a person with your background). However, the only studies I have found dealt with lipid metabolism in aged persons. Could you shed a little light on the use/purpose of Humanofort?
  7. Featured Author

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    Dr. Houser,

I'm really interested in the bold part. The only thing I have heard of Humanfort was that it is a waste of money. (Obviously, I haven't heard anything from a person with your background). However, the only studies I have found dealt with lipid metabolism in aged persons. Could you shed a little light on the use/purpose of Humanofort?
    I actually think the studies show quite the contrary - the problem (at least in some people's eyes), they are all Romanian... and in Romania, its actually still classified a drug. Many supplements GROSSLY underdose the thing, but effective dosing is a minimum of 300mg (if not more) - but in individuals with decreased IGF-1, we've had great response with Humanofort monotherapy.

A company known as GEN used to have the best product dosed at 300mg...years later, Labrada picked it up and in the stand-alone, it was not remotely the same item as when I had used it in years previous out of GEN. Since the release of their HumanoGrowth, which I recently invested in (wary - to say the least) and over the course of the last 4 days - DOUBLE-DOSED mind you (so, 8 caps before bed)...I have had incredible sleep results and wake up feeling great (mind you, given my schedule - sleep is a hot commodity).

So, if the science fits...Humanofort should lead to an elevation of 17-ketosteroid levels in the adrenal gland (my DHEA levels were low on a recent blood draw and decreased DHEA and/or IGF-1 levels are met with increased cardiovascular disarray). In fact, Humanofort has shown to raise these levels by as much as 68%! Increased 17-ketosteroid levels will mean increased lipid metabolism and improved anabolism, through an elevation of androgens and a decrease in the catabolic hormone cortisol (which has been talked about a great deal in this and many other threads in this subforum). The documented antioxidant proprieties will also limit exercise-induced free radical damage to muscle tissue (again - let's re-visit the utility when we have spoken of oxidation and the like in this thread). In any event, I will do a full review when done with the Labrada product - but again, double-dosed, so we are talking only a 15-day trial...but I would be happy to invest in it - even at the cost of the product for 15 day cycles IF it actually works; I will follow up with blood work too btw on my DHEA levels and any impact to adrenal steroids...stay tuned.

1. Effects of Oral Administered Humanofort on Steroid Hormones Level and on Oxidative Stress” by Prof. Gh. Mihaescu, T. Stoica, F. Oancea, Medicine Pharmacy University „Carol Davila” Bucharest, Romania

2. Oxidative Stress decrease in Old Age Patients Treated with Drugs Containing Embryonic Peptides Gh. Mihaescu, O. Mihaescu, I. Mihaescu, National Institute for Geriatrics and Gerontology „Ana Aslan”, Bucharest, Romania

3. Clinical Trial of Humanofort Effect on Overweight Endocrinology Institute „C. I. Parhon” Bucharest, Romania

D_
  8. Senior Member

^^^

You have definitely piqued my interest. So, is the effective dosing (beginning at 300mg) for healthy individuals, or those with decreased IGF-1 levels?

What is the timing of your dosages?

If you have the chance, please keep this thread updated with your results. I would rather base my supplement usage on studies and the knowledge of posters like you. All the information you provide really educates the board members.
  9. Senior Member

Okay, I have another question.

How much of an increase in 17-ketosteroid levels is a good thing? I have read that high levels of 17-ketosteroid levels in urine may be an indication of an adrenal cortex or testicular tumor. Also, what other forms of 17-ketosteroids, beside DHEA, would be of interest to increase?
  10. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    Ha! Perhaps not (and maybe that is the PC version response), but you are certainly accomplishing quite the following here in my absence and I enjoy reading your comments.

I do think that the total carnitine concentration is pertinent and oftentimes not addressed accordingly because of various supplement study directives. It is not to suggest certain carnitine salts would hold pertinence in different settings (in other words, that PLC couldn't be better suited for AR upregulation; just that they don't have the vested-interest studies that are done with LCLT). But, in the sense of evidence-based, a mixture of salts is what I recommend until research does better answer this question.

Now, the problem (for anyone in manufacturing) with PLC is that it frankly is a sticky nightmare in manufacturing of quality PLC source, so - like the COP scenario - finding a quality source may be a true issue. I did mention a supplement on the horizon that manages to do what quadracarn may not - but the snag with its release was PLC, and unfortunately...LCF had to be used to replace production issues and I assure you that projects I am involved in are better-sourced that things you may find on the net elsewhere...period, so the issue is the ingredient unfortunately.

But, yes, I do agree that carnitine salts (Possibly would agree with ALCAR > LCLT > PLC; don't care...probably comes down to total carnitine shuttling efforts anyway...so if you were going to go with one alone, I think even 6 grams of ALCAR would be the primary thought and so on if you could afford it, even moreso with wasted prop blended crap that people invest in or woefully fictitious sh*t that plagues supplement site storefronts) should be considered a staple in every serious lifter and life extension enthusiast period (and yes, Na-R-ALA as a coupling effort with ALCAR would be ideal for those well-versed in the benefits).

See coop, you did generally well speaking for me.

D_
    This is a great point. The carnitine moiety is likely what is responsible for the effects of LCLT on AR density and recovery, but at the same time, we do not know if other carnitine salts can accomplish this end result due to the fact that LCLT has superior kinetics/half-life. As far as ALCAR and PLCAR, I think most of the documented benefits are exclusive to those salts. For instance, the nootropic effect (acetate donation) of ALCAR and the cardioprotective effect (Propionyl-CoA elevation in cardiomyocytes) of PLCAR would be exclusive to those two forms.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

To be clear, you would never "notice" a problem from pro-oxidation. While I don't see much evidence for vitamin C pro-oxidation besides dose-response curve extrapolations, the bottom line is that if you're supplementing over 500mg in one sitting, you are wasting your vitamin C, as the plasma saturation dose is indeed 500mg (http://www.pl.barc.usda.gov/downloads/jp28.pdf).

Companies are stupid. People are stupid.
    Although I wouldn't take 500mg+ in a serving, I wouldn't say 1000mg in a single sitting is "wasting your vitamin C".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11771678
  12. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by aaronuconn View Post
    Although I wouldn't take 500mg+ in a serving, I wouldn't say 1000mg in a single sitting is "wasting your vitamin C".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11771678
    I much prefer the government study that I linked citing the 500mg plasma saturation dose. This particular study has sample sizes of two individuals, which is one of the worst I've ever seen.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

I much prefer the government study that I linked citing the 500mg plasma saturation dose. This particular study has sample sizes of two individuals, which is one of the worst I've ever seen.
    Touche.. I posted that without fully reading.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

Saw that coming... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by aaronuconn
    Touche.. I posted that without fully reading.
    Gotta be on point to challenge Coop buddy. Bring that A game ; )
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    Saw that coming... Lol

Gotta be on point to challenge Coop buddy. Bring that A game ; )
    I was searching other forums to see where I thought Andy from Driven Sports had a good full-text on 1g being plasma saturation. Alas, couldn't find it. I may have made this all up; certainly one of the two.
  16. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by aaronuconn View Post
    I was searching other forums to see where I thought Andy from Driven Sports had a good full-text on 1g being plasma saturation. Alas, couldn't find it. I may have made this all up; certainly one of the two.
    I have actually discussed this with Andy: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...2225591&page=1
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

I have actually discussed this with Andy: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...2225591&page=1
    I completely forgot about that thread.. I was even part of it.

We're going to chalk this miscommunication down as a result of a long day at work.

18. Senior Member

How much of an increase in 17-ketosteroid levels is a good thing? I have read that high levels of 17-ketosteroid levels in urine may be an indication of an adrenal cortex or testicular tumor. Also, what other forms of 17-ketosteroids, beside DHEA, would be of interest to increase?
    Bump for Humanofort information.
  19. Senior Member

Bump for Humanofort information.
  20. New Member

Reputation Reputation

Curious, do you suggest taking r-ala or NAC when taking the Carnitine combo you put on your list?
  21. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackjackcat View Post
    Curious, do you suggest taking r-ala or NAC when taking the Carnitine combo you put on your list?
    Why not use both? If you have to pick, r-ala or coq10 would work best with carnitine.
  22. Senior Member

Hey Coop,

What is your take on Humanofort? Dr. Houser seems to like it, and I think I read in previous posts that Vaughn thinks it has potential (albeit in fairly large doses).
  23. Diamond Member

Hey Coop,

What is your take on Humanofort? Dr. Houser seems to like it, and I think I read in previous posts that Vaughn thinks it has potential (albeit in fairly large doses).
    The data seems to be there. Unfortunately, dosing it correctly would necessitate heavy expenses. It's similar to phosphatidylserine in that there is good, human data on the compound, but it's excluded from the market simply due to cost and the presence of other ingredients that can get the job done without hurting your wallet as badly.
  24. Senior Member

The data seems to be there. Unfortunately, dosing it correctly would necessitate heavy expenses. It's similar to phosphatidylserine in that there is good, human data on the compound, but it's excluded from the market simply due to cost and the presence of other ingredients that can get the job done without hurting your wallet as badly.
    Okay, if I can save up some money, cut back on some of the unnecessary things I have now, I may give it a go.

Do you think Humanofort will be included in MAN's new product, PF3?
  25. New Member

Reputation Reputation

Why not use both? If you have to pick, r-ala or coq10 would work best with carnitine.

I do use Ubiquinal currrently(for the last few months) and was going to start on the Carnitine. Thanks for the quick response.
  26. New Member

Reputation Reputation

I was wondering about the na-r-ala for free radical damage from dosing 2 grams each of LCLT/PLC/ALCAR, but it looks like D said as long as your not doing it long term(i.e. more than 3-4 months), free radicals damage should not be a problem. How do you dose when you use these three? Do you take them together, empty stomach, with carbs, pre and post workout, pre-bed ect? I ordered all three, from Nutraplanet and just was wondering how you take them. I did some searching, but there seems to be different opinions, but you seem to be know what your talking about and have used these before.
  27. Diamond Member

Okay, if I can save up some money, cut back on some of the unnecessary things I have now, I may give it a go.

Do you think Humanofort will be included in MAN's new product, PF3?
    Was not aware MAN was making a new product besides the Nolva one. What's it advertised to do?

Quote Originally Posted by blackjackcat View Post
    I was wondering about the na-r-ala for free radical damage from dosing 2 grams each of LCLT/PLC/ALCAR, but it looks like D said as long as your not doing it long term(i.e. more than 3-4 months), free radicals damage should not be a problem. How do you dose when you use these three? Do you take them together, empty stomach, with carbs, pre and post workout, pre-bed ect? I ordered all three, from Nutraplanet and just was wondering how you take them. I did some searching, but there seems to be different opinions, but you seem to be know what your talking about and have used these before.
    I would not concern yourself with free radicals induced my carnitine pro-oxidation. That effect was documented at the 6 month stage (though it may have occurred sooner).

LCLT - 2g preworkout
    PLCAR - 2g preworkout or upon rising
    ALCAR - 2g preworkout or upon rising

I personally take PLCAR at 2g preworkout only and and ALCAR at 2g both preworkout and on off days. When I have LCLT, I use about 3g preworkout.

Do them all on empty unless you're trying to elevate muscle carnitine (which should NOT be your goal unless you are wealthy).
  28. New Member

Bump for Humanofort information
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by zaire2d
    Bump for Humanofort information
    What is humanafort?
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  30. New Member

Reputation Reputation

Was not aware MAN was making a new product besides the Nolva one. What's it advertised to do?

I would not concern yourself with free radicals induced my carnitine pro-oxidation. That effect was documented at the 6 month stage (though it may have occurred sooner).

LCLT - 2g preworkout

I personally take PLCAR at 2g preworkout only and and ALCAR at 2g both preworkout and on off days. When I have LCLT, I use about 3g preworkout.

Do them all on empty unless you're trying to elevate muscle carnitine (which should NOT be your goal unless you are wealthy).
    This was the exact info I was looking for, thanks Mr. Cooper!
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.

LCLT - 2g preworkout

Split dosing not necessary?

I had been taking 1.5g pre and then .75g later on, typically with food.
    This is with 2.5-3g LCLT pre
  32. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by D3Baseball View Post

What are you splitting, ALCAR?

It's too much labor I'd say for LCLT. Just take it preworkout all at once. You'll get plenty of the recovery benefits that way, and the other benefits you get from LCLT even if you're sedentary will still apply if you take it in one dose preworkout. It has a long half life, no need to split.
  33. Diamond Member

ALCAR can be split. Only one I wouldn't split is LCLT.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.

ALCAR can be split. Only one I wouldn't split is LCLT.
    Yeah ALCAR is what I'm splitting, my bad. Should I not bother with it?
  35. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

double post****
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  36. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Coop, inbox full but here is my response

Potentiation of alpha and delta ppar agonists?
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  37. Diamond Member

Yeah ALCAR is what I'm splitting, my bad. Should I not bother with it?
    Just take it at once if you don't get a headache
  38. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.

Just take it at once if you don't get a headache
    Only felt effect I've ever had from ALCAR is headaches when keto dieting. No problems or benefits for that matter on a normal diet. I'll try full dose pre.

Dodge over at bb.com said something about depletion of carnitine levels throughout the day or something.
  39. Diamond Member

Only felt effect I've ever had from ALCAR is headaches when keto dieting. No problems or benefits for that matter on a normal diet. I'll try full dose pre.

Dodge over at bb.com said something about depletion of carnitine levels throughout the day or something.
    Depletion of carnitine? You certain? It's been demonstrated that muscle carnitine can be increased with administration of 2g carnitine daily with carbs.
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Depletion of carnitine? You certain? It's been demonstrated that muscle carnitine can be increased with administration of 2g carnitine daily with carbs.
    Coop, why do some recommend alcar to be taken with alpha lipoic acid?
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 01:14 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 12:44 AM
  3. Fish Supplements Fish Supplements Are Not All Equal
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM
  4. Bodybuilding Supplements Vs Antiaging Supplements
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements