Top 10 Supplements

Page 7 of 15 First ... 56789 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by monstermash View Post
    Hey cooper, check out the source naturals one I posted... seems like a happy medium b/w AOR and Jarrow. What do you think about the sublingual delivery?
    Wow I had the thread open for a while before posting so I never realized that you basically posted the exact same thing before me .

The source naturals product looks solid, and I suspect that the sublingual delivery will aid particularly with the b-12, as oral bioavailability isn't the best and instrinsic factor is limiting.

2. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Wow I had the thread open for a while before posting so I never realized that you basically posted the exact same thing before me .

The source naturals product looks solid, and I suspect that the sublingual delivery will aid particularly with the b-12, as oral bioavailability isn't the best and instrinsic factor is limiting.
    Sweet, replacing my old one (thorne research basic b) with this. Better profile and price point.
    :blindfold:
    •   

3. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Doc, I'm curious what your thoughts are on dosing any of these if you've had blood tests without dosing them that show levels at normal and/or optimal levels.

I mainly ask about selenium, though I'm curious about magnesium, as well. I've had serum tests on both and they're both pretty much where I'd want to see them. However, I know there has always been debate from different doctors on proper ways to measure different things; i.e. is the best test urine, or blood or hair or saliva? And the reason I mention selenium is because I have Hashimoto's and I know adding in certain minerals can provide the opposite of the desired effect.

If my blood work shows:

Magnesium - 1.9mg/dL (ref: 1.8 - 2.5)
    Selenium - 151 ug/L (ref: 23-190)
    Zinc - 91 ug/dL (ref 60-120)

What are your thoughts (as these levels are only from what I obtain via diet and a multi-vitamin)?

4. RBC test for zinc and magnesium, not serum.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

5. Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    6. L-carnitine (all forms, but LOVE LCLT/PLC/ALCAR combo);

* Would prefer about 2 grams of each; all forms have a different tissue predilection.
    Dr. Houser,

What are your thoughts on the following study

PubMed Abstract
    Full Text

It seems convention has been not to combine the two. Yet you recommend a combination of the 3. With recent consideration to add the carnitines to my daily regimine, I am curious of your thoughts on the matter.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Dr. Houser,

PubMed Abstract
    Full Text

It seems convention has been not to combine the two. Yet you recommend a combination of the 3. With recent consideration to add the carnitines to my daily regimine, I am curious of your thoughts on the matter.
    def in for response on this.
    :blindfold:

7. Also, if you could I would be interested in your thoughts on supplementing with Choline in conjunction with Carnitine supplements. For reference:

Abstract
    Full Text (Warning: PDF)
    Just inject.
    Facebook:

8. Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Dr. Houser,

PubMed Abstract
    Full Text

I just posted that a couple days ago in another thread.. Thanks for the full paper

Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Also, if you could I would be interested in your thoughts on supplementing with Choline in conjunction with Carnitine supplements. For reference:

Abstract
    And another one - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7616311/

And this one seems to suggest that the combination of carnitine and choline would be a nice combination for fat loss

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12514272/
    PESCIENCE.COM

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

9. I do remember Wes Silveria (ironaddict) was a big proponent of Choline/Inositol combo, as they worked synergistically

10. I take ginger and R-ALA every day. Are they far from making to the top10 list?

11. Sub'd for answers to HereToStudy's posts.

12. Quote Originally Posted by keyser View Post
    I take ginger and R-ALA every day. Are they far from making to the top10 list?
    Make it Na-R-ALA and it's on my top 10 list.
  13. Thumbs up "B Complex" is Best One

I would like to go with “B Complex” because its organically present is many foods and vegetables. Today several supplements are available in market but very few are good and can complete your needs of vitamins and minerals.

14. Quote Originally Posted by monstermash View Post
    Welcome to AM!

Just to give you a heads up, you can't post site names other than sponsors here. You can talk about non-sponsored items/products just don't mention the name of where you bought them in a post.
    ok my bad thanks man

15. 1. fish oil
    2. ubiquinol
    3. vit C or ascorbyl palmitate
    4. resveratrol
    5. Rainbow lite men's multi
    6. natural beta carotinoid mix
    7. zinc
    8. magnesium
    9. potassium bicarbonate
    10. beta alanine, choline, and or ALCAR-fumarate generally in rotation and not all at once.

11. HCG, lol

16. Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    1. fish oil
    2. ubiquinol
    4. resveratrol
    7. zinc
    8. magnesium
    9. potassium bicarbonate
    10. beta alanine, choline, and or ALCAR-fumarate generally in rotation and not all at once.

11. HCG, lol
    Any specific reason for not using Beta Alanine and ALCAR at the same time? Just curious because I am currently supplementing with both.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Jordinator View Post
    Any specific reason for not using Beta Alanine and ALCAR at the same time? Just curious because I am currently supplementing with both.
    There is no reason. In fact, I encourage combining alcar with choline. Beta-alanine is a staple regardless.

18. Dr, really enjoyed reading your posts over the years.

Not sure if this has been addressed so apologies if I have missed it. Im really looking for your optimal dosing of ala , agmatine and l-carnitine through out the day. ( ideally for body composition purposes)

Thanks

19. Quote Originally Posted by Craigmatthew View Post
    Dr, really enjoyed reading your posts over the years.

Not sure if this has been addressed so apologies if I have missed it. Im really looking for your optimal dosing of ala , agmatine and l-carnitine through out the day. ( ideally for body composition purposes)

Thanks
    300-600mg of R-ALA (hopefully salt stabilized).
    750mg-1g agmatine.
    2g of carnitine.

20. Quote Originally Posted by keyser
    Ginger is a nice natural chemoprotectant
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!

21. Thanks mr cooper .

22. Yea, I am also waiting for the report, and your thoughts on the tests performed.

23. I will try and address all of the questions according to my time commitments, but this thread generated an amazing response (much more than I had ever anticipated)...

The below is an example of an interesting question...

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I love selenium but I have to disagree with a 400mcg dose:

Dietary Selenium Intake Modulates Thyroid Hormone and Energy Metabolism in Men (weight gain at high doses)
    Effects of Long-Term Selenium Supplementation on the Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes (methodoligically flawed IMO, but still worth noting)

Any particular reason for exceeding 200mcg?
    I think it is a great question actually.

This board is HOPEFULLY full of people who are intensely involved in anaerobic (weight/sprint/etc...) training and I will say +/- aerobic training. Not assumed as the generally sedentary lay-population used in said studies unfortunately.

The rationale is the same reason I hate when people try and apply suggested data on Vitamin E (especially when solely alpha-tocopherol is used as monotherapy).

Anyway; one must consider the amount of free radical generated on a daily basis (each time you go to the gym, each time you put something in your mouth - healthy or otherwise, oxidizing fat en route to a svelte physique you hold dear, and so on...EVERYTHING generates free radicals). Vitamin E works in synergy with the endogenous antioxidant glutathione to quench lipid peroxidation. But to do so, glutathione needs selenium which "holds" lipid radicals so that glutathione can get a crack at them. Selenium is also required for vitamin E to function properly.

NOW - ANYTHING (statin drugs, niacin, etc...) that modifies lipids (cholesterol, et al...) WILL alter glucose metabolism to some degree. Its funny how frequent this is forgotten especially by the authors of silly studies suggesting increased incidence of insulin resistance and/or diabetes development when not using clamp studies, but alas I digress.

Its not much use, however, taking selenium, if you don't have enough glutathione in the first place. Intense exercise (granted, probably 95% of gym-goers, and possibly even a good percentage who read these boards do not really embark on truly "intense" exercsie can deplete muscle glutathione by 40% and liver glutathione (from which the muscles get their refills, like glycogen) by 80%! So, rightfully so - I probably should have suggested some conditions with the dosing of selenium:

1. Barring you are truly doing "INTENSE" exercise (defined in anaerobic training as HOW close you lift to your 1RM, not by speed...there is a speed component in transitioning from aerobic to anaerobic in what is generally thought of as cardio - a shift from a jog to a sprint).

2. Fat oxidation is truly something being incorporated into your physique regimen (both on a microscopic level: if you have not had a NMR analysis by Lipo Science and evaluation of your Lp(a) and Homocysteine scores; you won't really be able to identify this -AND- on a macroscopic level: your outward phenotype).

3. You are somehow regenerating glutathione lost with exercise (which people don't generally put a lot of credence on). What I may have qualified my statement with is use of the generalized antioxidant stack: Selenomethionine + NAC + SAMe (with B Vitamins as co-factors), but there are very few products that would supply this in what I feel people really need.

While selenium supply isn't necessarily a bad one with most people's diets - let's take bodybuilder modifications: low-carb, cyclical macro, hyper- and hypo-caloric, etc... BUT also consider that selenium is NOT as well-defined in soil and farmer's don't turn profit enough to give a damn on replenishment.

But, I do appreciate you keeping me honest here. I more than likely should have said that #10 was collectively: Selenomethionine + NAC + SAMe (or TMG I suppose as "poor man's SAMe") + B vitamins (but Bs were already coming in at #1 for so many different co-factor reasons) and barring exercise intensity was up to par (recall that you will harbor some level of insulin resistance - even non-diabetic with as littel as > 48 hours of inactivity; the studies illustrated are not ideal to apply to most I would hope to campaign for on this board.

On those ingredients left out (i.e. - Fish Oil)...

I just had to label the Top 10 Supplement ingredients that I think could make impact now, so when people suggest fish oil - I have most (if not all of my clients on it), but I had to separate out what I felt could be obtained by the diet and what could not (at least not in all macronutrient shifts).

D_
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author

24. Quote Originally Posted by Kekkuk View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've been waiting on the list.
    Are those doses independent of how much you get from food or total?
    Seems like an obvious answer but my assumptions suck.
    The totals I wrote in were averages I have active clients on. There are some volume of distribution issues and dietary differences I didn't get into because people like to be able to generalize. When we generalize, I go with averages (and this is with over 12,000 clients and probably an additional 2,000 patients in the confides of about 12 years).

Now, that is IN ADDITION TO foodstuffs as I just don't believe that even in your best efforts could a diet truly supply the appropriate amount of nutrient value (for whatever the reason: nutrients in soil depleted, etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by rugger48 View Post
    No fish oil in your top 10 doc?
    I think he's assuming we are eating diets rich in fatty fish.

mr.cooper is essentially spot on. I would say about 95% of clients and patients are on some form of fish oil product and if there was a top 15, fish oil would be included EVEN when you can get it from foodstuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by monstermash View Post
    Good then I'm pretty much set for supps besides my preworkouts here and there... BUT I need a good Co-enzyme B complex. REPS for quality suggestions (no reps for duplicates).

Ubiquininol 200mg/day *may up it to 400mg in the future
    MCC and/or creatine nitrate 3-5g/day
    ZMK (MST) 200mcg selenium + 500mg magnesium
    ALCAR/LCLT/GPLC/PLCAR 6g/day I started to rotate between all these with 1 month breaks after two months on
    Ajipure L-Leucine 10g+/day 6g postworkout w/40g isolate and the rest with a shake during the day. Plan on capping some to take with meals
    Buffered Vit C (now foods) have to cap it myself soon but been using here and there but not near workout.
    Beta-alanine/ COP Gonna rotate between the two. Cycling on and off... 2months on 1 off.
    *need to pick up new B complex Open to suggestions
    Not starting curcumin yet...

**other staples
    Lovaza (4g) and Neptune Krill Oil (500mg-1g).
    Lovaza and NKO, why both; much of the O3 benefit goes away beyond 4 grams combined EPA/DHA?

I recommend Jarrow B Right as well - to all of my clients due to cost effiency, etc...

D_

25. Swanson just released a new "activated b complex." $17.99 for 60caps.

1 capsule contains:
    Thiamin (vitamin B-1) (as benfotiamine) 54.4 mg 3,627%
    Riboflavin (as riboflavin 5'-phosphate) 50 mg 2,941%
    Niacin (as inositol hexanicotinate) 100 mg 500%
    Vitamin B-6(as pyridoxal 5-phosphate) 50 mg 2,500%
    Folate (as Quatrefolic® [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid equivalent to 1.6 mcg of [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid, glucosamine salt) 800 mcg 200%
    Vitamin B-12(as methylcobalamin) 500 mcg 8,333%
    Biotin 50 mcg 17%
    Choline(as choline dihydrogen citrate) 50 mg *
    PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) 50 mg *
    Pantethine (coenzyme A precursor)(from Pantesin® 80% pantethine) 50 mg *
    Inositol(from inositol hexanicotinate) 25 mg *

26. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

I don't necessarily agree with the comments on oral bioavailability namely because when compared in Vitamin B12 deficient individuals...oral route administration regulates serum levels of both vitamin B12 and methylmalonic acid on the same level as the INTRAMUSCULAR route. I think all this suggestion of sublingual is hogwash actually and only supported by funded research of vested groups.

If I were presented at the office with a patient who was truly B12 deficient; I usually prescribe 3-5 days of IM injection followed by chronic methylcobalamin therapy (usually in the form of Metanx so I can guarantee where the person is getting their supplemental source of MB12). The 3-5 days is NOT, however, because it is absorbed any better per se and/or that it would correct the deficiency any better, but it does increase the serum level in the acute setting of a week - and if the patient is symptomatic ONLY would I waste their money on any reason to employ this type of said dosing. Symptoms are usually in the form of paresthesia (numbness and tingling kind of like beta-alanine but they do not go away and in diabetics - it is often mistaken and written off as peripheral neuropathy). One must be very careful, however, that you not overdo Vitamin B6 therapies either as there is a true OPTIMIZATION curve that exists for this vitamin where you get paresthesia with too little and too much of the vitamin.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Doc, I'm curious what your thoughts are on dosing any of these if you've had blood tests without dosing them that show levels at normal and/or optimal levels.

I mainly ask about selenium, though I'm curious about magnesium, as well. I've had serum tests on both and they're both pretty much where I'd want to see them. However, I know there has always been debate from different doctors on proper ways to measure different things; i.e. is the best test urine, or blood or hair or saliva? And the reason I mention selenium is because I have Hashimoto's and I know adding in certain minerals can provide the opposite of the desired effect.

If my blood work shows:

Magnesium - 1.9mg/dL (ref: 1.8 - 2.5)
    Selenium - 151 ug/L (ref: 23-190)
    Zinc - 91 ug/dL (ref 60-120)

What are your thoughts (as these levels are only from what I obtain via diet and a multi-vitamin)?
    We do have a mineral panel we use in the office, but it is not supported by everyone and you can, unfortunately NOT generalize results across different assays, HOWEVER, I do not think there is a lot that can be told from it, so it is reserved for very specific patients and honestly Hashimoto's or any other thyroid illness is not one of them. Make sure that whoever suggested you get it done for that condition doesn't have some level of vested interest in a worthless assay. Mineral levels change minute-to-minute.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    RBC test for zinc and magnesium, not serum.
    If our only choices are serum and RBC test - then sure, I suppose it is "better."

Some might suggest that in the advent of sublingual epithelial cell testing, both of the former will be left in the dust though.

But again, mineral testing is not generally the best mode of testing deficiencies or adequacies - it is actually through end organ effects (which is done on a CLINICAL assessment, however, good luck to you in finding a physician good at the physical exam any more).

D_

27. I feel like I should be paying you. Thanks, again.

28. Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Dr. Houser,

PubMed Abstract
    Full Text

Depends upon goal: predilection for the following...

1) LCLT - androgen receptor
    2) PLC - Cardiovascular
    3) ALCAR - Cerebrovascular / Neurovascular

If simply for general health, a combination of the three with focus on all of the studied parameters - a little attenuation of levels is one thing, an omission is another.

Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Also, if you could I would be interested in your thoughts on supplementing with Choline in conjunction with Carnitine supplements. For reference:

Abstract
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I just posted that a couple days ago in another thread.. Thanks for the full paper

And another one - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7616311/

And this one seems to suggest that the combination of carnitine and choline would be a nice combination for fat loss

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12514272/
    Choline is a great combo - again, like the Selenium / NAC / SAMe / B Complex before it; this may certainly be a combo to propose if I weren't doing single nutrients (actually, the combination of many different nutrients can assist absorption of virtually everything in the top 10). Maybe we could suggest lower dosing of carnitine salts with choline in combination here as opposed to it as a side bar.

Quote Originally Posted by keyser View Post
    I am unsure about ginger (maybe my top 25), but ALA absolutely - top 15.

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    1. fish oil
    2. ubiquinol
    4. resveratrol
    7. zinc
    8. magnesium
    9. potassium bicarbonate

11. HCG, lol
    Nice list - outside of the multi IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigmatthew View Post
    Dr, really enjoyed reading your posts over the years.

Thanks
    L-carnitine (free form); I do not recommend. The salts - 2 grams of each (if you can find them all...becomming harder and harder).

Agmatine - depends on goal; what are you using it for?

R-ALA is to Na-R-ALA about a 2:1 ratio, so if you use say 600 mg of R-ALA, then I would say use 300 mg of Na-R-ALA for equivalency. The reason for using this is reflected in my recommendations: If using it for general antioxidant - probably 100-300mg is sufficient. If using it for glycemic variation attenuation - minimally double that number at 300-600 mg (for some very insulin resistant, probably even upwards of 3 times the dose or 900 mg) spread over the larger meals of the day (B/L/D).

300-600mg of R-ALA (hopefully salt stabilized).
    750mg-1g agmatine.
    2g of carnitine.
    Essentially yes - see above.

D_

29. Noted on the b12 comment. Expect a PM for more info...I am, in fact, a genetically b12-deficient individual and do get treatment (intrinsic factor deficiency).

30. Thank you for your time Doc.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 02:14 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 01:44 AM
  3. Fish Supplements Fish Supplements Are Not All Equal
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements