Page 4 of 11 First ... 234569 ... Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.84%

Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    Subject for a whole debate in and of itself...what kind of "tea" are we talking about?
    Either green or black tea (generally English Breakfast, Earl Grey, or Irish Breakfast). Usually two tea bags per 8oz mug to try and double up on caffeine and make it comparable in strength to a cup of coffee. All of the tea is generally organic and fair trade (despite the scandal).

Am indifferent to the arginine; don't think you're going to get a lot from it per se....L-carnitine would be much more efficient at "pump" effect and/or whatever else you might be using it for coupled with beta-alanine. I like my clients to use upwards of 2 grams of niacin pre-workout too to get a good GH-boost, if that's what you're looking for (unsure).
    Ill continue using arginine pre-workout until I run out, but after that I wont buy any more. However, I did notice a pump effect on high doses of arginine (10-15g), but it also seemed that my calves were more prone to cramping during a run. On a normal 5g dose I stopped seeing results....
    My next order will include ALCAR. I plan on using it pre-workout or midday on non workout days.
    Another planned item was going to be citruline malate, what do you think about adding it pre-workout?
    I am under the impression that beta-alanine and citruline malate are only really beneficial on workout days, do you think its worth it to take beta-alanine and/or citruline malate on non-workout days?
    2 grams of niacin!? is it flush free? Because I have 500mg time release caps of niacin that give me a light flush, but I would be in severe pain if I took 2grams. I was also under the impression that normal niacin is more potent than flush free, due to the flush cleaning out your system. Doesnt niacin also increase the effectiveness of beta-alanine?

I don't know that pre- and post- creatine is "necessary" per se and I think you could save some money if you wanted to by chosing either or. CoQ10...I dose this weight-dependent and ubiquinone vs. ubiquinol dependent.
    I cut the creatine serving in half, half pre half post. In the morning I also only take half a serving. On non workout days, I take 1 serving split in a morning and evening dose. I have noticed that I am extremely prone to the creatine bloat and do not see the point of taking large doses of creatine unless it is on a very consistent basis. On a side note, I like to drink a bit on the weekend and I dont like drinking while on a large dose of creatine, so on the weekends I will many times cut the dose down even further. I also go 3-4 weeks on creatine one week off.
    As far as coq10's weight dependent dose, do you have a mg per lb ratio? I avg 180lbs.

CLA/EFA/Chromium is an interesting combo - rationale? Too many fatty acids post-workout doesn't agree with everyone, but if you feel this has done you well; go for it.
    EFA and Chromium have never given me any problems post workout or not. CLA in general can be hard on my stomach at first but by the third day my stomach has adapted (I notice the same thing with creatine). You dont really directly see a result from these 3. My rationale was that you should get as many key building blocks as you can, hence the EFA along with the protein. The CLA is the fat that helps fat loss the most so, post workout would be the best absorption. And chromium as an insulin mimicking agent.
    I plan on purchasing R-ALA in my next order as well. I think I will take it post workout due to its effect on insulin unless you recommend a different time or more times a day.

Why the hell do they have Molybdenum in there?

NAC (600mg) + Selenium (200mcg) = More test
    ZMA (if deficient in zinc) = More test
    Molybdenum = ? Less test

ergo-log's interpretation of a recent study:
    Molybdenum lowers testosterone level
    Well, I certainly wont be purchasing that version of NAC ever again. Although the article mentioned testosterone being lowered most significantly in those with low Zinc levels. So ZMA would hopefully stop any issues there. Another interesting item about that product, is on further research, too much Molybdenum can block copper absorption which can cause a whole myriad of problems including anemia... and we get plenty in our every day diet---> just goes to show the importance of checking all the ingredients, wow horrible product, too bad I bought a 250 day supply...

Are you a vegetarian of some sort? If not, you're likely not iron-deficient if you're a male.
    Nope, I can barely go a meal without meat. Mostly chicken, beef, and turkey. Some pork and fish.
    My neighbor was a jacked MMA fighter and he told me to get Iron, Calcium, and Magnesium. He said Iron increased hemoglobin and more blood = more muscle. Calcium for strong bones. And I forget what he said about Magnesium. Anyways, I got all three supps. Took them for a few days, and then didnt really see the point. Iron also caused a certain level of constipation.

Calcium, I am plus/minus on. What kind of dairy intake do you have (or calcium in protein supplements)?
    Calcium is in my protein powder (it says 50% daily dose). My shake is half milk, half water. Although I do not drink a shake on non workout days or if I eat a full meal right after my workout.
    I eat an individual serving of greek yogurt probably five times a week (I also have an acidophilus supplement but dont take it because it makes me flatulant).
    I eat cheese everyday. Cant go without it. Every type of cheese. Although it is generally american cheese. I know its processed, but I love it.
    Broccoli probably 3-4 times a week. Although I try to eat some type of greens twice a day.

glutamine is tough; there's a glutamine cycle that needs to be accounted for within the liver which could make for an interesting discussion on ergogenesis (NOT the way most people take it; you'd need many doses through a 24-hour period for significant success)...plus, a great deal of oral L-glutamine ingested is taken up by the gut wall (bloats many too). Some still swear by it and it's included in many BCAA products; but I think it's cumbersome when taken in a quantity needed to be successful.

D_
    The glutamine bloat explains a lot... Never heard of that before.

Would you recommend that all these supplements, with the exception of preworkouts and creatine to be daily? should any of them be cycled? I usually try to take 2-3 weeks off of everything every 3 months or so to keep my body from adapting and relying on them.

Also are any of the items I am taking/planning on taking work better twice a day as opposed to once a day. The only items I am taking twice a day is EFA, vit C, and creatine. It can just be a pain taking so much during the day, not to mention the strain on your wallet.

Hypothetically, if you catch a cold or the flu, would you stop any of these supplements? or would you just treat it as a non-workout day? I assume you might increase Vit C and get Zinc cough drops. Would you still disagree with adding in echinacea for during the cold only?

My goal is health and longevity above all. Secondarily, a 6 month goal of losing 4-6% bodyfat and gaining 2-4lbs of muscle. I can generally gain muscle fairly easily with creatine alone, however losing bodyfat % is a different story.

Thank you so much for all of your help. And next time you are in SoCal I would love to buy you a drink. I am in orange county. LA and San Diego are both easy drives for me.

-Marc

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Curious to know if Idebenone is the best overall form of CoQ10 (I've read somewhere it can't flip to a pro-oxidant? and how much would you recommend for a 250-225lb athlete.
    :blindfold:
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  144 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.43%

Thanks again, Doc, for addressing all of my inquiries. I'll definitely be switching my choline sources, probably after I go and get my Bod Pod reading next week. I'm also glad that I bought a good amount of Ubiquinol not too long ago. This forum has definitely been enlightening.
    •   

4. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.87%

10. Selenium (if male, this is the equivalent to folic acid for females; but imperative for thyroid functioning and proper metabolism...quintessential and often overlooked);

8. Curcumin (anti-inflammatory/pro-testosterone, can be found in every guy's cupboard I hope...understand bioavailability is poor, so take more of it!!!!);

7. Magnesium (100s of enzymatic processes in the body);

D_
    1. Is eating 3 raw brazil nuts a day enough Selenium ? Nuts are not shelled.

2. For Curcumin, can you recommend a supplement? I was looking in to Vitacost's Turmeric Extract Curcumin C3 Complex with Bioperine..

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 2 Capsules
    Servings per Container: 60

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Turmeric Extract (Curcuma longa)
    (standardized to 95% curcuminoids)(rhizome) Curcumin C3 Complex®
    1160 mg *
    Curcuminoids 1100 mg
    Black Pepper Extract (piper nigrum)
    (standardized to 95% peperine)(fruit) Bioperine®
    5 mg *

*Daily value not established.

Thoughts?

3. I take 250mg (as magnesium oxide) a day, so I up it or that's enough?

Thanks again, doc
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.12%

1) protine powder
    2) creatine
    3) multi-vitamin/M
    4)fishoil or flax oil
    5) taurine
    6) ALCAR
    7) Need2slin
    8) T911
    9) caffine
    10) Kava Kava
    LG Sciences Board Rep
    These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by LG Sciences, LLC.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Blergs
    1) protine powder
    2) creatine
    3) multi-vitamin/M
    4)fishoil or flax oil
    5) taurine
    6) ALCAR
    7) Need2slin
    8) T911
    9) caffine
    10) Kava Kava
    Not a big fan of most multis. Many of them are either overdosed on some things, underdosed or in alot of cases, both. To me, it makes more sense to use a tool like cron-o-meter to assess my daily intake of nutrients and supplement accordingly.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  144 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.43%

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine4PWO View Post
    2. For Curcumin, can you recommend a supplement? I was looking in to Vitacost's Turmeric Extract Curcumin C3 Complex with Bioperine..
    FWIW - they have a different product that contains 900mg extract + 5mg Bioperine per single capsule serving: NSI 3005024. Also worth checking is Doctor's Best: DOC 0001954. I've already gone through the same one that you've looked at, so when it was time to get more, I ended up getting the Doctor's Best variant. It also pays to check online for coupons, because these start to get pricey.
  8. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.87%

Quote Originally Posted by counterspy View Post
    FWIW - they have a different product that contains 900mg extract + 5mg Bioperine per single capsule serving: NSI 3005024. Also worth checking is Doctor's Best: DOC 0001954. I've already gone through the same one that you've looked at, so when it was time to get more, I ended up getting the Doctor's Best variant. It also pays to check online for coupons, because these start to get pricey.
    thanks a lot! ill look into it
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.26%

Swanson also has an excellent product
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.3%

Dana,

Curious as to which mineral product you have been recommending since CMZ is no longer available.
  11. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.26%

1. Fish oil
    2. Vitamin D
    3. Curcumin
    4. Micellar Casein
    5. zma
    6. multivitamin
    7. Digestive enzymes
    8. beta-alanine
    9. creatine
    10. L-carnitine (injectable)
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.13%

Quote Originally Posted by monstermash View Post
    Curious to know if Idebenone is the best overall form of CoQ10 (I've read somewhere it can't flip to a pro-oxidant? and how much would you recommend for a 250-225lb athlete.
    Check out Mito-Q

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17642004
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.91%

Quote Originally Posted by psimonkey View Post
    Thanks, I'm going to read up on it today. Is this available for purchase or is it a research chem?
  14. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Assuming an imperfect diet such as my own, and in no particular order:

1. Fish Oil
    2. D3
    3. MCC
    4. Beta-alanine
    5. Caffeine (stimulants are exceptionally useful)
    6. Green Tea Extract + vit. C (yes weak evidence for estrogenic effects, yes poor oral bioavailability...and yes, fantastic antioxidant effects that positively affect a number of growing health concerns)
    7. Curcumin (EXTREMELY anti-carcinogenic. low oral bioavailability means higher doses, piperine, etc)
    8. Cissus Quadrangularis (overall health benefits + joint/connective tissue support)
    9. ALCAR + choline source (obviously cycle off, but the benefits are profound, especially when stacked with #10)
    10. Na-R-ALA (antioxidant, GDA, I can go on...)
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

1. Fish Oil
    2. D3
    3. MCC
    4. Beta-alanine
    6. Green Tea Extract + vit. C (yes weak evidence for estrogenic effects, yes poor oral bioavailability...and yes, fantastic antioxidant effects that positively affect a number of growing health concerns)
    7. Curcumin (EXTREMELY anti-carcinogenic. low oral bioavailability means higher doses, piperine, etc)
    8. Cissus Quadrangularis (overall health benefits + joint/connective tissue support)
    9. ALCAR + choline source (obviously cycle off, but the benefits are profound, especially when stacked with #10)
    Nice. I love those as well. Cept mcc and d3 i am unfamiliar with unless that's vitamin d3?
    RecoverBro ELITE
  16. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    Nice. I love those as well. Cept mcc and d3 i am unfamiliar with unless that's vitamin d3?
    Correct, Vitamin D3. MCC = Magnesium Creatine Chelate.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

1. Fish Oil
    2. D3
    3. MCC
    4. Beta-alanine
    What is your dosage for curcumin and cissus?
  18. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

Quote Originally Posted by PuZo View Post
    I personally don't use curcumin (I don't buy very many supplements), but it would have to be very high due to the bioavailability (unless you are fine with only your gut getting all the curcumin benefits lol). Cissus is great at 2-4g daily. I personally use USPlabs supercissus at 3.2g daily.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I personally don't use curcumin (I don't buy very many supplements), but it would have to be very high due to the bioavailability (unless you are fine with only your gut getting all the curcumin benefits lol). Cissus is great at 2-4g daily. I personally use USPlabs supercissus at 3.2g daily.
    So for the cissus, that's 4 pills then right? I'm taking them all at once.

As far as the curcumin goes, I'm using Life Extension Super Bio-Curcumin. I'm guessing at 400mg per cap, the appropriate dosing range would be around 2g?
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.13%

I would still like to see the top 10 supps. the good Dr. is using with daily quantities. I've picked up bits and pieces, but a condensed version would be great.
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.42%

Im rocking upwards of 2g Super Bio Curc from LEF
    Controlled Labs Warder
    Powercage [at] controlledlabs.com
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.03%

Quote Originally Posted by Powercage

Expensive habit there bud
    Always willing to learn :D
  23. Featured Author
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.1%

I am going to try and put together the most economical list of supps meeting the criteria established with my top 10 supplements including doses...give me a few days for this though...

D_
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.52%

Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii
    I am going to try and put together the most economical list of supps meeting the criteria established with my top 10 supplements including doses...give me a few days for this though...

D_
    Awesome! Looking forward to it.
  25. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

I am going to try and put together the most economical list of supps meeting the criteria established with my top 10 supplements including doses...give me a few days for this though... D_
    Great idea, Doc!
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

D_
    Can't wait!
    RecoverBro ELITE
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    So that's 5/day? How do you space it?
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.88%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

tons of great info.....
  29. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.71%

D_
    Definetly looking forward to this...
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.25%

Sounds like it could be a good read
  31. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.62%

D_
    Sounds great.
  32. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.26%

wow, interested for the list...
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.51%

In it
    Everything I say is fictional and for entertainment purposes only. Do not ask me for sources. I dont have any.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.51%

Can't wait.
  35. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.49%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

T-Bone, somehow I think I am gonna like you!!!! I am unfamiliar with everyone on this board so it may take some time to recognize who the really intent guys are...but you surely take an early lead.

What I am saying is - around a workout, it has purpose ... that is my "acute setting" example for this board because that is what is at interest. How could I enhance recovery and perhaps promote protein synthesis at the best rate possible.

Eliminate the workout...in other words, take someone who isn't an avid forum member on Anabolic Minds or perhaps inferior boards....say they don't work out, the "acute setting" has been lifted and I too would agree with you, there may be little need to supplement it ever.

So while I might still include it in supplementation for people on this board (around the workout alone and very possible first thing in AM if no intention on immediate food stuff ingestion); it would drop off the list if someone weren't working out. We may be saying the same thing with that as my only qualifier.

D_
    Happy hunting! jk. Thanks for sharing your knowledge here with the board. I found through much experience that I have about 9 out of the 10 things you listed in my arsenal as dietary supplements that make a noticeable, wide array of benefits.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.73%

D_
    Looking forward to this!
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%

Top ten supplements

Multi-Vit
    Fish oil
    Cinnamon extract for glucose levels
    Rhodiola
    Protein
    BCAA's
    Oxydrene
    Greens
    Creatine
    Detox every 6 months (not exactly a supplement but still important to health)

Other supplements I take but not my top 10...

White flood preworkout
    Cordyceps
    CLA
    OxyElite (need to find a diff one that doesn't make my sugar crash 20min later with each dose)
    PowerFull (not impressed with it. Looking to switch after I finish this cycle)
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97%

My favorites are very similar to everyone else, mostly stuff I take pre workout

1. Beta Alanine 2-4g
    2. 1,3 DMAA 50mg
    3. Creatine Mono 5g
    3. Caffeine anhydrous 200mg
    4. Aljpure BCAAs 5g
    5. 100% Whey protein (post workout) and before bed

I buy most of these in pure bulk powders from online stores, I get my DMAA from buypuredmaa.com and my other stuff from truenutrition.com or purebulk, its cheaper and lasts a lot longer and I know exactly what im getting

Some of my favorite pre made stuff has been Jack3d pre workout, myozene post, and animal mstak
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.91%

Quote Originally Posted by todde25 View Post
    My favorites are very similar to everyone else, mostly stuff I take pre workout

1. Beta Alanine 2-4g
    2. 1,3 DMAA 50mg
    3. Creatine Mono 5g
    3. Caffeine anhydrous 200mg
    4. Aljpure BCAAs 5g
    5. 100% Whey protein (post workout) and before bed

I buy most of these in pure bulk powders from online stores, I get my DMAA from ********.com and my other stuff from *********.com or p******k, its cheaper and lasts a lot longer and I know exactly what im getting

Some of my favorite pre made stuff has been Jack3d pre workout, myozene post, and animal mstak
    Welcome to AM!

Just to give you a heads up, you can't post site names other than sponsors here. You can talk about non-sponsored items/products just don't mention the name of where you bought them in a post.
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.98%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    can you PM me the place you are purchasing your curcumin from? Anyone have a good source to buy this? I know it could be expensive due to the bioavailibitlity of curcumin.

So that's 5/day? How do you space it?
    im curious as well

Quote Originally Posted by JesstheIbex View Post
    Top ten supplements

Cinnamon extract for glucose levels
    Rhodiola
    i recently purchased some cinnamon myself. How are you dosing? Pre-meal ? spaced throughout day? etc?
    What about your rhodiola dosing? I used to take it before bed and upon wakening to help with cortisol spikes.

thanks

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 03:14 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 02:44 AM
  3. Fish Supplements Fish Supplements Are Not All Equal
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
  4. Bodybuilding Supplements Vs Antiaging Supplements
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements