Top 10 Supplements

Page 3 of 11 First 123458 ... Last
  1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

I've used 300mgs of Coq10 for at least a year straight. Personally I think a higher dose would be better.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

2. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    thanks for replying...

I wonder what this means for the study then and if dose was increased due solely to age and what form of CoQ10 was actually used to equate a safe and reasonable dose to use for younger aged individuals.

My guess is ubiquinone is cheaper too and the reason why its suggested if one can adequately convert it???
    Since the body converts ubiquinone into ubiquinol, there is an extra step involved. The problem is that not all of it gets converted. CoQ10 in the blood is in the form of ubiquionol. As you get older the total level in the blood drops as well as the bodies ability to convert it. Therfore, the recommendation of Ubiquinol for those over 35. This also doesnt mean ubiquinone isnt effective just the the active form is better. Kaneka the manufacturer says 6 times and has some research to back that.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    I've used 300mgs of Coq10 for at least a year straight. Personally I think a higher dose would be better.
    I agree. I find it most noticable for energy at 400mg.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Answers

Awesome fellas! thanks for the info. I'll be going on a supp buying spree in december with my bonus check and this will have to be on the list.... Think ill start at 300 and go from there.

Any conflicts with running a high dose on cycle, increased blood pressure etc? As I'll start my winter bulk cycle at the same time...
    iForceHemavol=He-man?-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/187487-hemavol-heman-doughs.htmlCompound 20 Beta log-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/185396-molding-dough-compound.html
  5. Featured Author
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ax1 View Post
    So complicated, lol

Ill stick to my Orange Triad, Fish Oil, Garlic Oil, E3 Live (Klamath Lake Frozen Liquid Blue Green Algae), extra Vitamin C and D.

Orange Triad Link
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/c...-270-tabs.html
    I suppose that is simple, BUT in no way am I a fan of Echinacea on a daily basis...I tried to tell them this was NOT appropriate way back with the introduction of this multi. Also, I have discussed my issues with CDG in other threads. Oral Hyaluronic Acid is silly with virtually no absorption. But I certainly have no complaints with most of your list.

Quote Originally Posted by AdelV View Post
    8. Curcumin (anti-inflammatory/pro-testosterone, can be found in every guy's cupboard I hope...understand bioavailability is poor, so take more of it!!!!); How much ? Are we talking 1g p/d?

As much as you can invest in daily (spices, supplements, et al... ---> it's bioavailability is unfortunately poor in most instances. I think Biotest has a good version with piperine at least in it).

6. L-carnitine (all forms, but LOVE LCLT/PLC/ALCAR combo); I agree, I'll be honest the original form started leaning me out! I plan on taking 5g p/d.

I currently take 3 grams of each of those mentioned per day (9 total grams; of course elemental carnitine will vary dependent upon the salt).

5. Leucine (NOT all BCAAs; leucine alone is overlooked and the only sole ketogenic BCAA); Any info on timing?

Very program-specific, but I talked about this to some degree in the BCAA Discussion thread. 25% the total amino acid pool is a base, if you are going to take any "extra" - around the workout (post-workout is MUCH MORE important than pre-workout despite what supplement advertisement would lend you to believe) and/or first thing in the morning. There's not a lot of reason to have BCAAs and/or leucine beyond 25% your total amino pool...if you get this from food stuffs...great!

3. CoQ10 (multi-function strikes again - can change type I muscle fibers to type IIs; can protect the heart; act as an antioxidant, etc...); This actual form, or the other form? How much should we take?

Thanks
    As many appear to say later in this thread...200-400mg of ubiquinol is a good start. Minimally double the value if using ubiquinone.

D_

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Doc,

Where is augmatine in this list? MAN promotes it as the "Holy Grail" of bodybuilding supplements. I also know you have researched it extensively. I have tried it and I can't say it did much for me but I only used one bottle. It may need to be used for a longer period to exert it's overall effects. Moreover, it doesn't get a lot of love on the bodybuilding forums.
    Answered agmatine questions in said thread.

Quote Originally Posted by psimonkey View Post
    OK my 10 would be

Vitamin C
    Resveratrol
    Fish oil
    B-Vits
    Lecithin
    Aniracetam
    Creatine
    Milk thistle
    Beta-alanine
    N-acetyl-cystiene
    Nice looking list; the only comments I could make is that 85-90% of milk thistle products are inaccurately labeled unfortunately...supplier and production issue.

As for Lecithin, lecithin is derived from the Greek word for Egg Yolk - its first isolation point. Some may be better familiar with its second dubbing - phosphatidylcholine...which gives us reason to talk about it.

Obviously through metabolic processing, it provides us with choline, conveniently one part of the acetylcholine molecule, a neurotransmitter for proper brain and nerve functioning in its most basic of understanding. Since we commercialized it and it became a rather en vogue substance when researchers made the connection between choline and brain functioning, its extraction process shifted toward the soybean - which offers a consistent source of EFAs [to me - far better than flax or hemp, which kind of upended it with their own evolution]. Lecithin's emulsification properties (it's a HUGE component of bile) are thought to keep cholesterol in check - which to me has always been debatable as I think many more fats do this, yet for different reasons.

Now, especially if you're an endurance athlete ... it may have a very important role as it has been hypothesized that runners in the Boston Marathon possess low choline levels, which subsequently imparts a dleterious effect on long-term output potential for the nervous system (i.e. - subsequent neuronal firing to continue muscles moving, etc...). Shoot, lecithin is important for creatine synthesis and might bode well in forthcoming creatine beverages to some level if it could be worked out, hypothesized to essentially increase strength based on this fact.

The only problem I have seen is that studies involving upwards of 20-35 grams have produced MIXED RESULTS (and I remain a study guy for my dollars). Does that mean I write it off, HELL NO!!! I am just not sure I can offer the best of recommendations - think about it...it helps aid in liver detoxification processes which may impart a better final product action than any other liver detox agent --- all the NAC's, TUDA, et al may not even ultimately match up and in a case where we tend to overdo it sometimes in a virtually flooded C17 alkylated PH/PS/AAS world these days, it may have worth for all of us yet. I think too - it has shown some effects to boost HDL levels (another issue with long-term steroid users, etc...) but I would have to revisit the literature to offer anything concrete here.

So - its a mixed bag, my lack of conclusion is solely because of the mixed reviews and I am NOT sure I could offer a concrete suggestion...just that...maybe it has benefit, maybe it doesn't mean so much in affordable doses ... if you like it, use it.

Quote Originally Posted by keyser View Post
    Dana,
    Should someone that is in a exclusively explosive sport avoid q10? Lets say a long drive golfer.. would it slow down his muscle fibers?
    You know this is a GREAT question! Although, I am afraid I wouldn't label a "drive golfer" an explosive athlete; but I suppose your question would better ask if it was an endurance athlete, should they avoid CoQ10? That has unfortunately not been studied. For explosive short bursts, like say a sprinter OR even those playing football are actually just the guys I'd have using it.

D_
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  6. Featured Author
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by j2048b View Post
    doc,
    wondering why so much b complex is suggested, as a former trainee under u i had to cut mine back to once or twice a day do to insomnia, and it hurting like hell to pee after a few days of taking b complex with every meal!

probably dont remember this but it was way too much fro me to take a b complex with every meal, kind of over use if u ask me?
    B vitamins are co-factors for virtually every reaction in the body, inclusive of protein synthesis. When your amino pool is called upon, you would do your best to add in some B's and this processing is happening all the time. Unfortunately, it is a water-soluble offering which means, it will be with you for a short period.

I could certainly see insomnia (again, more reactions - for which if this did crop up...I would cut back on the final dose of the day), but NOT pain on urination - that I would seek out another cause. If you suggest your pain on urination went away with stopping B Vitamins, I would say something in the brand you chose was off OR we're talking complete idiosyncrisy.

also DAA gave me the WORST heartburn i have ever had in my life! had to drop it fast! why i ask?

also HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE/???:
    I think we talked about the relative acidity in the DAA thread, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

3. CoQ10 (multi-function strikes again - can change type I muscle fibers to type IIs; can protect the heart; act as an antioxidant, etc...);

i was under the sumption that once your born with a muscle make up, that one COULD NOT CHANGE THEIR MUSCLE FIBER TYPES, but could learn to train them instead, i was not aware that ones genetics could change by a single supplement, at all!

IF THIS IS IN FACT A TRUTH, THEN THE FDA WILL HAVE A FIELD DAY WITH THIS, AND ALSO WE HAVE FOUND THE "MAGIC PILL!!!"

please do explain in laymans terms and non of that doctor type lingos, because i might throw in the flag on this one!
    I don't blame you for challenging this as it is contradictory to common thought. I am an avid believer that we should do anything BUT lie victim to our genetics; remember - there's an entire field known as "epigenetics" (subject of a recent radio show on rxmuscle I did) where things literally "above" genetics can occur...environmental things can certainly influence phenotype (i.e. - what you look like). Type IIs are very modifiable actually; they are also subject to the most hypertrophy (growth in size), but we even decided a few years ago that were subject to hyperplasia (growth of new ones) and previous thinking was off...the same thinking fell through for neuron regeneration as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jin View Post
    11 dianabol - yes, there IS an 11th supplement!
    You may be addicted when... I kid, I kid; but really - "Essential element?" We know it would obviously "work."

10 resveratrol and quercetin - resv = bulk powder. too many reasons to use it. querc = - too many reasons to use it, helps stuff like resveratrol work, cheap.
    9 lclt/alcar combo - bulk powders. too many reasons to use these
    8 green foods powder - chlorella, spirulina, veggies, mixed into a shake, usually post workout or pre-bed.
    using NOW green phytofoods atm...
    7 coq10, ala, sam-e/tmg, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, olive oil - tie!
    6 multimineral - using a NOW product, actually 1/2 daily dose, with 1/2 tab crushed and added to intra drink on wo days too. generating less than 1/4 the selenium recommended by d_. need to get a selenium supp in the mail asap!
    5 omega 3s - keep them in the fridge!
    4 coconut oil - outside and inside, good for you, helps absorption of phs and fat soluble stuffs, full of mct's (lauric acid, anyone?), antimicrobial, use on skin too mixed with other essential oils, cedar being one of my favorites.
    3 vitamins d and c - d = take 10,000iu/day through the winter, none in the summer with 2hours shirtless sun between 10 and 2:00/week, c = buffered with calcium and magnesium, not pre-workout.
    2 turmeric/curcumin - bulk powder, dump a few grams turmeric in natty choco whey shakes, add olive/coconut oil - tastes great!
    1 astaxanthin - 1 gram 1% bulk powder daily - after a couple weeks of this with curcumin, i was able to bench again after many years of heavy shoulder pain. now, 80-90% less pain doing these movements.

what i am taking away from this thread -
    focus on ingredients.
    get BACK on a cooenzyme b complex... dammit!
    get a BACK on a selenium SPECIFIC supplement... dammit!
    Great looking rest of your list though IMO.

D_
  7. Featured Author
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ev52 View Post
    Hey Dr.
    Any thoughts on a Tumeric Phytosome like Meriva?
    Yes...in the one study I can think of in humans; there was no curcumin found in human blood...I'd say it's a waste on that alone.

BCM-95®, Biocurcumax, Arjuna on the other hand...showed 10 times the serum value of regular curcumin. Unfortunately, bioperine alone contributes to most....so if you can get a formula with that...you're probably gonna save a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Reps for the EVCO! I wouldnt even thought to add that and I use it just about everyday from cooking to shaving! Definitely a necessity for me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jin View Post
    right on man!
    i shave with it too!
    i mix a few drops of cedar and/or sage oil in some coconut oil (extra virgin, yes, best smell and flavor) and slather the jawline.
    the razor GLIDES man! leaves the skin smooth, clean, and naturally resistant to infection, fungus, etc.
    thanks for the reps...
    feels good to be of the same mind with a man like yourself...
    Interesting guys. I like it for ingestion; but the consistency might be too rich for my skin IMO, but I will check it out now that you have posted this and see...

Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Hmm...I'm not even sure I have a "top 10" supplements lol. I personally believe that most of these things are gimmicks at best and the clinical studies done for the majority of these are too narrow or the test base is way too small to make accurate conclusions. With that said, here are my "staples" if you will...

Non-hormonal aka supporting supps:

4)Fish oils
    3)Coq-10
    2)Hawthorne Berry
    1)UDCA (low dose 250mg/day)

Hormonal Supps:

8)GHRP's [Ipa and (-2)]
    7)IGF-1
    6)PEG MGF-1
    5)Toco-8
    4)DAA
    3)Clomid
    2)Formestane/Exemestane
    1)Testosterone and it's derivatives
    Interesting and accurate points; many things are in fact gimmick - why invest in things that aren't even efficaciously dosed. This is kind of why I resort to my own dosing protocols and avoid manufacturer recommendations.

As for your list of hormonal agents; they obviously possess a good deal of efficacy and I cannot fault your desire to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Interestingly enough, its the "unhealthy, steroid using, overweight meatheads" that have spot on health. Honestly, 3 years ago when I was naive and took OTC steroids for the first time was the best thing that happened to me. Because of this, in fear I made a strong effort to know everything about proper hormone manipulation as well as training routines and dieting. This lead to an acute awareness on my part about my body's health. I get bloods done regularly now and am able to keep tabs on all areas of my health which is far more than I can say about most individuals.
    Labs don't always tell the complete story I am afraid. How come only a quarter of people with coronary artery disease die with lipid (cholesterol) elevations (i.e. - increased LDL); because it goes so much more deeper than the lab tale. Which labs are the "most important" - well, that may be a subject in and of itself, but I will guarantee you haven't checked even a third of them if true health is in your interest to accomodate side effects of not only anabolic aids, but also those that are side effects of simply being a man.

D_
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    I suppose that is simple, BUT in no way am I a fan of Echinacea on a daily basis...I tried to tell them this was NOT appropriate way back with the introduction of this multi. Also, I have discussed my issues with CDG in other threads. Oral Hyaluronic Acid is silly with virtually no absorption. But I certainly have no complaints with most of your list.

[/B]As much as you can invest in daily (spices, supplements, et al... ---> it's bioavailability is unfortunately poor in most instances. I think Biotest has a good version with piperine at least in it).

[/B]I currently take 3 grams of each of those mentioned per day (9 total grams; of course elemental carnitine will vary dependent upon the salt).

[/B]Very program-specific, but I talked about this to some degree in the BCAA Discussion thread. 25% the total amino acid pool is a base, if you are going to take any "extra" - around the workout (post-workout is MUCH MORE important than pre-workout despite what supplement advertisement would lend you to believe) and/or first thing in the morning. There's not a lot of reason to have BCAAs and/or leucine beyond 25% your total amino pool...if you get this from food stuffs...great!

As many appear to say later in this thread...200-400mg of ubiquinol is a good start. Minimally double the value if using ubiquinone.

D_

Answered agmatine questions in said thread.

Nice looking list; the only comments I could make is that 85-90% of milk thistle products are inaccurately labeled unfortunately...supplier and production issue.

As for Lecithin, lecithin is derived from the Greek word for Egg Yolk - its first isolation point. Some may be better familiar with its second dubbing - phosphatidylcholine...which gives us reason to talk about it.

Obviously through metabolic processing, it provides us with choline, conveniently one part of the acetylcholine molecule, a neurotransmitter for proper brain and nerve functioning in its most basic of understanding. Since we commercialized it and it became a rather en vogue substance when researchers made the connection between choline and brain functioning, its extraction process shifted toward the soybean - which offers a consistent source of EFAs [to me - far better than flax or hemp, which kind of upended it with their own evolution]. Lecithin's emulsification properties (it's a HUGE component of bile) are thought to keep cholesterol in check - which to me has always been debatable as I think many more fats do this, yet for different reasons.

Now, especially if you're an endurance athlete ... it may have a very important role as it has been hypothesized that runners in the Boston Marathon possess low choline levels, which subsequently imparts a dleterious effect on long-term output potential for the nervous system (i.e. - subsequent neuronal firing to continue muscles moving, etc...). Shoot, lecithin is important for creatine synthesis and might bode well in forthcoming creatine beverages to some level if it could be worked out, hypothesized to essentially increase strength based on this fact.

The only problem I have seen is that studies involving upwards of 20-35 grams have produced MIXED RESULTS (and I remain a study guy for my dollars). Does that mean I write it off, HELL NO!!! I am just not sure I can offer the best of recommendations - think about it...it helps aid in liver detoxification processes which may impart a better final product action than any other liver detox agent --- all the NAC's, TUDA, et al may not even ultimately match up and in a case where we tend to overdo it sometimes in a virtually flooded C17 alkylated PH/PS/AAS world these days, it may have worth for all of us yet. I think too - it has shown some effects to boost HDL levels (another issue with long-term steroid users, etc...) but I would have to revisit the literature to offer anything concrete here.

So - its a mixed bag, my lack of conclusion is solely because of the mixed reviews and I am NOT sure I could offer a concrete suggestion...just that...maybe it has benefit, maybe it doesn't mean so much in affordable doses ... if you like it, use it.

You know this is a GREAT question! Although, I am afraid I wouldn't label a "drive golfer" an explosive athlete; but I suppose your question would better ask if it was an endurance athlete, should they avoid CoQ10? That has unfortunately not been studied. For explosive short bursts, like say a sprinter OR even those playing football are actually just the guys I'd have using it.

D_
    So I had it the wrong way around... q10 is changing muscle from slow to fast? Explosive = q10, endurance = possibly not?
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Would you mind elaborating a bit on the LCLT? I've read quite a bit of literature, and heard some contradicting feedback depending on who I ask. Some say the androgen upregulation, etc. allows for the enhanced binding of endogenous hormones, which will ultimately increase the efficiency of any test-boosters being ran.

Also, what's your thoughts on what to be run with DAA as far as E control goes. I was thinking a combination of I3C + Calcium D-Glucarate? If this question is not pertinent to this thread, I can ask elsewhere. Thanks!
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGabe24 View Post
    Would you mind elaborating a bit on the LCLT? I've read quite a bit of literature, and heard some contradicting feedback depending on who I ask. Some say the androgen upregulation, etc. allows for the enhanced binding of endogenous hormones, which will ultimately increase the efficiency of any test-boosters being ran.

Also, what's your thoughts on what to be run with DAA as far as E control goes. I was thinking a combination of I3C + Calcium D-Glucarate? If this question is not pertinent to this thread, I can ask elsewhere. Thanks!
    So I totally know im not D and I would love to hear all pertinent info he has to offer on LCLT as well since he has access to tons of stuff I could never dream of.... but...

I was just recently in discussion about this in another thread and there is an obvious reason why there are so many opinions for either uregulation of AR sites or not.... I did some pulling up of studies to prove my point that AR sites were upregulated(something I had been previously convinced of through product writeups and articles) and found it wasnt fully the case...

...Well in a body building world/strength training world and just about any sport where one over exerts themselves I guess it would upregulate AR's over someone who wasnt active... but thats just it... you have to be active and specifically from a studies standpoint I think its only been proven through resistance exersice training, in other words weight lifting...

What it seems that happens is LCLT decreases the amount of damage that occurs to muscles and the AR sites within. This DOES in turn increase the effectiveness of testosterone and I think that post workout feeding is what helps to increase this as well at least from a production standpoint... So of course keep up your post workout nutrition.

Here, I looked em up again on my recent history and posted em for you to read yourself....

Androgenic responses to resistance exercise: effects of feeding and L-carnitine.

Kraemer WJ, Spiering BA, Volek JS, Ratamess NA, Sharman MJ, Rubin MR, French DN, Silvestre R, Hatfield DL, Van Heest JL, Vingren JL, Judelson DA, Deschenes MR, Maresh CM.
    Source

Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269-1110, USA. William.Kraemer@uconn.edu

Erratum in

• Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Oct;38(10):1861.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

The purpose of this investigation was to determine the effects of 3 wk of L-carnitine L-tartrate (LCLT) supplementation and post-resistance-exercise (RE) feeding on hormonal and androgen receptor (AR) responses.
    METHODS:

Ten resistance-trained men (mean+/-SD: age, 22+/-1 yr; mass, 86.3+/-15.3 kg; height, 181+/-11 cm) supplemented with LCLT (equivalent to 2 g of L-carnitine per day) or placebo (PL) for 21 d, provided muscle biopsies for AR determinations, then performed two RE protocols: one followed by water intake, and one followed by feeding (8 kcal.kg body mass, consisting of 56% carbohydrate, 16% protein, and 28% fat). RE protocols were randomized and included serial blood draws and a 1-h post-RE biopsy. After a 7-d washout period, subjects crossed over, and all experimental procedures were repeated.
    RESULTS:

LCLT supplementation upregulated (P<0.05) preexercise AR content compared with PL (12.9+/-5.9 vs 11.2+/-4.0 au, respectively). RE increased (P<0.05) AR content compared with pre-RE values in the PL trial only. Post-RE feeding significantly increased AR content compared with baseline and water trials for both LCLT and PL. Serum total testosterone concentrations were suppressed (P<0.05) during feeding trials with respect to corresponding water and pre-RE values. Luteinizing hormone demonstrated subtle, yet significant changes in response to feeding and LCLT.
    CONCLUSION:

In summary, these data demonstrated that: 1) feeding after RE increased AR content, which may result in increased testosterone uptake, and thus enhanced luteinizing hormone secretion via feedback mechanisms; and 2) LCLT supplementation upregulated AR content, which may promote recovery from RE.

The effects of L-carnitine L-tartrate supplementation on hormonal responses to resistance exercise and recovery.

Kraemer WJ, Volek JS, French DN, Rubin MR, Sharman MJ, Gómez AL, Ratamess NA, Newton RU, Jemiolo B, Craig BW, Häkkinen K.
    Source

Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA. kraemer@uconnvm.uconn.edu

Abstract

The purpose of this investigation was to examine the influence of L-carnitine L-tartrate (LCLT) supplementation using a balanced, cross-over, placebo-controlled research design on the anabolic hormone response (i.e., testosterone [T], insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 [IGFBP-3], and immunofunctional and immunoreactive growth hormone [GHif and GHir]) to acute resistance exercise. Ten healthy, recreationally weight-trained men (mean +/- SD age 23.7 +/- 2.3 years, weight 78.7 +/- 8.5 kg, and height 179.2 +/- 4.6 cm) volunteered and were matched, and after 3 weeks of supplementation (2 g LCLT per day), fasting morning blood samples were obtained on six consecutive days (D1-D6). Subjects performed a squat protocol (5 sets of 15-20 repetitions) on D2. During the squat protocol, blood samples were obtained before exercise and 0, 15, 30, 120, and 180 minutes postexercise. After a 1-week washout period, subjects consumed the other supplement for a 3-week period, and the same experimental protocol was repeated using the exact same procedures. Expected exercise-induced increases in all of the hormones were observed for GHir, GHif, IGFBP-3, and T. Over the recovery period, LCLT reduced the amount of exercise-induced muscle tissue damage, which was assessed via magnetic resonance imaging scans of the thigh. LCLT supplementation significantly (p < 0.05) increased IGFBP-3 concentrations prior to and at 30, 120, and 180 minutes after acute exercise. No other direct effects of LCLT supplementation were observed on the absolute concentrations of the hormones examined, but with more undamaged tissue, a greater number of intact receptors would be available for hormonal interactions. These data support the use of LCLT as a recovery supplement for hypoxic exercise and lend further insights into the hormonal mechanisms that may help to mediate quicker recovery.

So you can see that no.... LCLT does not have the intrinsic ability to just create new AR sites in resting individuals and in turn increase the efficacy of testosterone boosters or exogenous hormones.... BUT in the case that one is regularly performing Resistance Exercise training (which, heh, I sure hope is the case with everyone here) and the fact that RE training will undoubtedly damage muscle tissues and AR sites, then YES! Supplementation with LCLT will protect against that damage, preserve many of the AR sites and in turn increase the efficacy of hormones that can interact with those sites....

So the answer is a resounding NO but YES! lol....

Again I would love for D to either confirm, deny or expound on this principal still as I'd love to learn more.

As for DAA, those exact questions were addressed here...

DAA - Q&A with Dr. Dana Houser
  11. Registered User
    Answers

I wonder if we are able to extrapolate any possibly synergies between LCLT and Creatine due to their effect on ATP? Creatine offering a phosphate and attenuating hypoxanthine accrual during exercise. Thoughts?

Also I didn't see on anything specific for estrogen control that Dana prefers. Just his response to ideas proposed, calcium d-gluc, etc. etc.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

I'd still love to see recommended doses and times of doses for all of the top 10 compounds listed by the doc. I think low-range, high-range and recommended doses along with the preferred timing of doses would be very beneficial to have.

I know with curcumin it's as much as you can afford. I know we've discussed coq10. Carnitine is one that has been pretty well discussed. I'd love to see the rest
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGabe24
    I wonder if we are able to extrapolate any possibly synergies between LCLT and Creatine due to their effect on ATP? Creatine offering a phosphate and attenuating hypoxanthine accrual during exercise. Thoughts?

Also I didn't see on anything specific for estrogen control that Dana prefers. Just his response to ideas proposed, calcium d-gluc, etc. etc.
    I thought there was reference to formestane being preferred? Maybe not... I think the main point was just about anything would work that's a true dedicated AI, form, adex, etc... I think even 6-bromo was mentioned? But maybe not rely on .res, ic3, flavones etc that have their place but may not he adequate or proven and may not be economical....

Its possible im mixing threads in my head... I'll have to reread...

I'm almost certain that your exact reference to synergy between creatine and carnosine has been laid out before and maybe even proven in studies... I'll look into that right now as well.
    iForceHemavol=He-man?-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/187487-hemavol-heman-doughs.htmlCompound 20 Beta log-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/185396-molding-dough-compound.html
  14. Registered User
    Answers

I thought there was reference to formestane being preferred? Maybe not... I think the main point was just about anything would work that's a true dedicated AI, form, adex, etc... I think even 6-bromo was mentioned? But maybe not rely on .res, ic3, flavones etc that have their place but may not he adequate or proven and may not be economical....

Its possible im mixing threads in my head... I'll have to reread...

I'm almost certain that your exact reference to synergy between creatine and carnosine has been laid out before and maybe even proven in studies... I'll look into that right now as well.
    Jeez, sounds like I have you spinning your wheels. So how about something like Erase??

Had a stack looking something like this

DAA
    Powerfull
    Erase
    Calcium D-Glucarate
    I3C
    Agmatine
    T-Force
    Possibly some adaptogens

Thoughts?
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGabe24

Jeez, sounds like I have you spinning your wheels. So how about something like Erase??

Had a stack looking something like this

DAA
    Powerfull
    Erase
    Calcium D-Glucarate
    I3C
    Agmatine
    T-Force
    Possibly some adaptogens

Thoughts?
    With the exception of the calcium supp I'd say it looks like a potent natty stack. I think D mentioned the calcium supp had no significant impact on test production, besides I get tons of calcium through my diet and see no need to seek an outside source of supplementation.... Maybe thats just me...
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Answers

Are you planning a stack of this nature?
  17. Registered User
    Answers

Are you planning a stack of this nature?

Yup, and the calcium d-glucarate is to help with excess estrogen, not related to test at all.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Honda's Top Ten ...

1. Fish Oil (12 grams/day)
    2. Zinc (300mg/day)
    3. Vitamin C (3 grams/day)
    4. DAA (6000mg/day) - take a break every 5 weeks for a week ... sometimes more
    5. Creatine Nitrate
    6. Ephedrine HCL (I'm using Primatine now - got tired of the Canadian supplier)
    7. Caffeine (both liquid and tabs)
    8. MAX Protein
    9. IGF-2
    10. Erase

My stuff tends to be basic, and it's mostly designed to make me feel good. Both my free and total testosterone measurements tend to run high above specifications ... 950 ng/ml's total and 34 ng/ml's free - and I'll be 50 years old in February. I believe that Fish Oil, Zinc, and Vitamin C help keep my test levels high and the DAA spikes it even more. Sometimes I will spend months in the Arctic Circle working - and when I go up there, at a minimum I bring a full supply of Zinc, Fish Oil and C - if I don't bring anything else I'll bring those three.

Since I work out in the morning at 0500 - I need to get the fuzz out of mind - so I do that with Ephedrine HCL and Caffeine (might add some Yohimbine hcl to that mix if I can figure out the right way to do it).
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  0 lbs.
    Answers

Dinoii, in regards to curcumin, what doasage do you take? I understand difference in certain brands as far as claimed bioavailability but in general. I have taken it before and I believe its somewhat dose dependant. Too much and it will kill the libido. For me and everyone else I know that has taken it anyways.
    Also, I have read that curcumin possibly inhibits beta catenin. Could you comment on that? Thank you
  20. Registered User
    Answers

Labs don't always tell the complete story I am afraid. How come only a quarter of people with coronary artery disease die with lipid (cholesterol) elevations (i.e. - increased LDL); because it goes so much more deeper than the lab tale. Which labs are the "most important" - well, that may be a subject in and of itself, but I will guarantee you haven't checked even a third of them if true health is in your interest to accomodate side effects of not only anabolic aids, but also those that are side effects of simply being a man.

Yeah I didn't mean to make it sound like lab results is absolute information. Really, my point is that I do everything I can to make myself aware of my current health state. Health awareness came about when I started considering things that alter my health, including the 30+ lbs of muscle that I put on over the past 3 years, the hormones, etc...

Before I got into this venture I never kept tabs on my health. But yeah, I know what you mean about test results. My father's cholesterol checked out pretty decent at the doc some time ago but later he got a heart cath done to make sure. Turns out he had 3 main arteries block off 80% or more..needless to say within 6 months after that cholesterol reading he was getting a triple-bypass surgery.
  21. Registered User
    Answers

Reps for the EVCO! I wouldnt even thought to add that and I use it just about everyday from cooking to shaving! Definitely a necessity for me!!
    What is EVCO? Is that coconut oil or a certain type of coconut oil?
  22. Featured Author
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Vegking View Post
    What is EVCO? Is that coconut oil or a certain type of coconut oil?
    Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil

D_
  23. Registered User
    Answers

crap, I'm a little slow on the uptake, I should have figured that out. thanks man.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  144 lbs.
    Answers

First off, I want to thank the Dr. for providing all of this information and insight. This forum is why I decided to register after years of periodic lurking. That being said, I like what I've read and plan to make some adjustments to my supplement stash to better reflect some of these choices. My priority is general well-being, since I appear to have genetics that the longevity people crave and now I am embracing it. However, I'm still a slight-built, slightly fat man who looks like a kid, so the 2nd goal is to promote fat loss. Tertiary goal is brain/memory from nootropics.

Alright, so now I have some questions regarding a few things.

1) We've mentioned Fish Oils / Omega 3's. Can you elaborate on differences between your typical fish oil capsules, krill oil, and others? For example, I'm confused by krill oil and its supposed less is more when compared to fish oil. Its EPA/DHA is much, much less, but claimed to be more readily absorbed and/or effective. Currently, I take 1 gram of Now KO, but still use a regular fish oil. At the very least, it has a little astaxanthin but I found some suppliers that provide that in 10mg softgels.

2) I saw mention of lecithin, and naturally, phosphatidylcholine. I am turned on by choline because of purported benefits to mind and fat loss. For those pursuits, which form(s) are best? Lecithin, choline citrate, choline bitartrate, phosphatidyl choline, or other?

3) Quercetin, bromelain, bioperine, naringin. I have a curcumin supp that bundles bioperine, but I am curious if any of the other compounds here help (or hinder) absorption of things like curcumin, Ursobolic, or things on your top-10 list.

4) What are your thoughts on Holy Basil, considering my goals?

Thank you in advance for any inputs you can provide, doc. I also hope I'm not making too big of a splash and making too many demands. If you're back in the Baltimore area anytime soon I'd be happy to get you a brew or drink.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  227 lbs.
    Answers

Thx to OP and everyone else contributing.

I picked up a couple things mentioned in this thread.

Maybe I missed it on vit C, but I saw 500mg with meals. I am currently eating smaller meals per day so was curious what a daily dosage one should shoot for. I am ~200 lbs btw.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Hey doc, the thread inspired me to make an order for single ingredients and ditch the multivitamins. I eat fairly healthy, mostly organic or free range. Lots of protein, fruits, and vegetables. The only unhealthy part is that prolly once or twice a week I get fast food. Wondering what you think of my schedule and if you would make any tweaks.

morning/before breakfast:
    b-complex
    vitamin c
    Omega 3, 6, 9 fish oil
    creatine
    coffee/tea

lunch
    n/a

pre workout:
    creatine
    beta alanine 5g
    arginine akg 5g
    caffeine (generally coffee or tea if energy is needed, sometimes a supp)

post workout:
    creatine
    protein
    co q10 200mg
    CLA/EFA/chromium picolinate (all-in-one)

dinner
    n/a

before bed:
    ZMA
    Selenium (200mcg)
    NAC (NOW brand has Molybedum 50mcg, Selenium 25mcg, and 600mg of NAC)
    melatonin (if needed)

I also have Calcium and Iron as a standalone but dont really ever use it because I think that I get enough from my diet.
    Formula X is on my next order which includes carnitine, leucine, and DAA. Any other recommendations? Dont really see the point of curcumin given that I am 22 and healthy. I am also interested in your thoughts on glutamine. I have used it in the past and thought it worked well post workout in the beginning however once I started taking it everyday, I felt like I was experiencing a tolerance to it. Not to mention, people arent really recommending glutamine as much as they used to.
  27. Registered User
    Answers

Unless I have misses some new research hasn't DAA only shown any effects on hormone levels in those with low hormone levels? And zero effect on those with normal levels? It COULD have some value in pct I suppose but I wouldn't use it even for that till there is more science behind it.
    When you leave this world, will it be a better place because you were here?
  28. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dunhill225 View Post
    Unless I have misses some new research hasn't DAA only shown any effects on hormone levels in those with low hormone levels? And zero effect on those with normal levels? It COULD have some value in pct I suppose but I wouldn't use it even for that till there is more science behind it.
    Notsureifsrs
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  170 lbs.
    Answers

havent seen this, but very interested since I have never used a truly anabolic agent and am thinking about getting some DAA
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Answers

subbed for more info!!
    -OMEGA RecoverBro-
    When an omega male is born it's game over

31. Featured Author
    Answers

A quote from the highly-cited Italian study...

"The experiment using human subjects was carried out on two groups of healthy male volunteers aged between 27 and 37 years at the IVF (in vitro fertilization) Unit, Hospital "S. Luca", Vallo della Lucania, Italy."

We merely know that the volunteers were healthy in this study which would imply NO hypogonadism; however, individual numbers were not published, so I would say the answer to your questions is an emphatic "no" from what we know...but as I said...without the individual numbers, we know that there was an 83% response rate in those receiving it to the p value set (which was MUCH more significant than ANY supplement I have EVER seen in literature form; 20 years in the industry...I hope that says a lot).

What we do know is the average serum increases (in ng/ml)...

Baseline: DAA group: 4.5 +/- 0.6 ///// Placebo group: 4.6 +/- 0.5
    s/p 6 days: DAA group: 5.2 +/- 0.7 ///// Placebo group: 4.5 +/- 0.7
    s/p 12 days: DAA group: 6.4 +/- 0.8 ///// Placebo group: 4.7 +/- 0.7
    s/p 3 days of cessation: DAA group: 5.8 +/- 0.6 ///// Placebo group: 4.6 +/- 0.7

this shows an increase compared to placebo (for standardized participants hovering around mid-range testo levels).

Incidentally, the product is used as a fertility aid, so despite no hypogonadal participants in this study, I would presume it to have similar if not BETTER effect in hypogonadal populace provided no anatomic/physiologic disconnect.

Full study for those that want to read in depth and have yet to...

http://www.rbej.com/content/7/1/120

Hope this helps you discern why people are excited about the ingredient.

D_
  32. Featured Author
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ka0tik View Post
    Hey doc, the thread inspired me to make an order for single ingredients and ditch the multivitamins. I eat fairly healthy, mostly organic or free range. Lots of protein, fruits, and vegetables. The only unhealthy part is that prolly once or twice a week I get fast food. Wondering what you think of my schedule and if you would make any tweaks.

morning/before breakfast:
    b-complex
    vitamin c
    Omega 3, 6, 9 fish oil
    creatine
    coffee/tea
    Subject for a whole debate in and of itself...what kind of "tea" are we talking about?

pre workout:
    creatine
    beta alanine 5g
    arginine akg 5g
    caffeine (generally coffee or tea if energy is needed, sometimes a supp)
    Am indifferent to the arginine; don't think you're going to get a lot from it per se....L-carnitine would be much more efficient at "pump" effect and/or whatever else you might be using it for coupled with beta-alanine. I like my clients to use upwards of 2 grams of niacin pre-workout too to get a good GH-boost, if that's what you're looking for (unsure).

Again, tea as noted above...

post workout:
    creatine
    protein
    co q10 200mg
    CLA/EFA/chromium picolinate (all-in-one)
    I don't know that pre- and post- creatine is "necessary" per se and I think you could save some money if you wanted to by chosing either or. CoQ10...I dose this weight-dependent and ubiquinone vs. ubiquinol dependent.

CLA/EFA/Chromium is an interesting combo - rationale? Too many fatty acids post-workout doesn't agree with everyone, but if you feel this has done you well; go for it.

before bed:
    ZMA
    Selenium (200mcg)
    NAC (NOW brand has Molybedum 50mcg, Selenium 25mcg, and 600mg of NAC)
    melatonin (if needed)
    Why the hell do they have Molybdenum in there?

NAC (600mg) + Selenium (200mcg) = More test
    ZMA (if deficient in zinc) = More test
    Molybdenum = ? Less test

ergo-log's interpretation of a recent study:
    http://www.ergo-log.com/molybdenetest.html

I also have Calcium and Iron as a standalone but dont really ever use it because I think that I get enough from my diet.
    Formula X is on my next order which includes carnitine, leucine, and DAA. Any other recommendations? Dont really see the point of curcumin given that I am 22 and healthy. I am also interested in your thoughts on glutamine. I have used it in the past and thought it worked well post workout in the beginning however once I started taking it everyday, I felt like I was experiencing a tolerance to it. Not to mention, people arent really recommending glutamine as much as they used to.
    Are you a vegetarian of some sort? If not, you're likely not iron-deficient if you're a male.

Calcium, I am plus/minus on. What kind of dairy intake do you have (or calcium in protein supplements)?

glutamine is tough; there's a glutamine cycle that needs to be accounted for within the liver which could make for an interesting discussion on ergogenesis (NOT the way most people take it; you'd need many doses through a 24-hour period for significant success)...plus, a great deal of oral L-glutamine ingested is taken up by the gut wall (bloats many too). Some still swear by it and it's included in many BCAA products; but I think it's cumbersome when taken in a quantity needed to be successful.

D_
  33. Featured Author
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tjwoody View Post
    Thx to OP and everyone else contributing.

I picked up a couple things mentioned in this thread.

Maybe I missed it on vit C, but I saw 500mg with meals. I am currently eating smaller meals per day so was curious what a daily dosage one should shoot for. I am ~200 lbs btw.
    Oxidation comes with ingestion of EVERY particle of food.

Too much Vitamin C in the acute setting can be just as pro-oxidative as using none at all (or worse).

That said, 500mg with every meal (pre- and post-workout may be notable exceptions) - even if that means you are eating 6 meals a day (outside of the workout)...that'd be 3 grams per day to accomodate the increased metabolic demand.

D_
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    My top ten:
    Alcar
    LCLT
    Beta-alanine
    Creatine
    Fish Oil
    ALA
    Vit D
    Magnesium
    BCAA, may switch to leucine, need to go do some reading in the bcaa thread
    Taurine, idk if it does anthing really but i dont take much else
    I was under the impression (based on forum posts) that in order for Leucine to work it's magic, it needed the other two BCAA's?
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    I was under the impression (based on forum posts) that in order for Leucine to work it's magic, it needed the other two BCAA's?
    It does, sort of, but I think the growing consensus is that you get enough in the diet to make up for it. Or rather, that you can use the leucine to spike levels to activate mTOR, and any coinciding consumption of val/ile will be compensated by dietary intake. Am I wrong here, anyone?
  36. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Check the BCAA thread in this forum

My opinion is yes isoleucine and valine have to be present in free form for supplemental leucine to be effective but the research on it really isnt conclusive yet.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  37. Featured Author
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    It does, sort of, but I think the growing consensus is that you get enough in the diet to make up for it. Or rather, that you can use the leucine to spike levels to activate mTOR, and any coinciding consumption of val/ile will be compensated by dietary intake. Am I wrong here, anyone?
    Check the BCAA thread in this forum

My opinion is yes isoleucine and valine have to be present in free form for leucine to be effective but the research on it really isnt conclusive yet.
    Agree - much discussion here:

BCAA discussion thread

D_
  38. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    Agree - much discussion here:

BCAA discussion thread

D_
    Yup! I actually forgot about that thread. About to go back and re-read through it
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  39. Featured Author
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by counterspy View Post
    First off, I want to thank the Dr. for providing all of this information and insight. This forum is why I decided to register after years of periodic lurking.
    Thank you for the kind words. I hope this forum hasn't disappointed.

That being said, I like what I've read and plan to make some adjustments to my supplement stash to better reflect some of these choices. My priority is general well-being, since I appear to have genetics that the longevity people crave and now I am embracing it. However, I'm still a slight-built, slightly fat man who looks like a kid, so the 2nd goal is to promote fat loss. Tertiary goal is brain/memory from nootropics.
    Sounds like you have some realistic goals for supplements.

Alright, so now I have some questions regarding a few things.

1) We've mentioned Fish Oils / Omega 3's. Can you elaborate on differences between your typical fish oil capsules, krill oil, and others? For example, I'm confused by krill oil and its supposed less is more when compared to fish oil. Its EPA/DHA is much, much less, but claimed to be more readily absorbed and/or effective. Currently, I take 1 gram of Now KO, but still use a regular fish oil. At the very least, it has a little astaxanthin but I found some suppliers that provide that in 10mg softgels.
    There has been much noise made lately about the benefits of Krill oil, and many people have started taking Krill oil capsules as a result. It is said that Krill oil contains more beneficial components, and as a result there has been a bit of a Krill oil versus fish oil debate. So should you be taking Krill oil or fish oil?

Perhaps we should begin by discussing exactly what Krill oil is. Krill are tiny shrimplike creatures that live in the colder areas of our oceans. Whales eat them by the ton, and they also make up a part of the diet of humans, mainly the Japanese and Russians.

Lets say at the start that the important Omega 3 essential fatty acids are DHA and EPA. Both Krill and fish oil are a source of these important Omega-3 fats.

So if both oils contain both EPA and DHA how do you choose one or the other?

1. Compare The Cost Of The DHA That You Are Getting.

It is generally considered that DHA is more important to your health than EPA, though EPA is certainly important as well. Around 60% of your brain is fat, and DHA is the most prevalent, and adding DHA and EPA to your diet promotes a range of health benefits including benefits to your mental function as well as reducing the risk of death from heart disease, helping your cholesterol levels and helping you reduce weight, and much more.

When you’re buying Omega 3 oil supplements you are primarily buying DHA. So one of the most important parts of comparing the different oil capsules is to assess the cost of the DHA that you’re buying. This is simply a matter of making a mathematical calculation of the amount of DHA in each capsule as a proportion of the price.

If you make a comparison of Krill oil compared to fish oil capsules you’ll find that the DHA that you’re buying in Krill oil softgels is significantly more expensive than the DHA you are buying in fish oil supplements. In fact it is over 5 times more expensive to buy DHA in Krill oil form that it is as fish oil.

Krill oil is very low in DHA, the most important of the Omega 3 fats - for specific age groups.

2. The Level Of Toxic Contamination In Each.

One of the perceived differences between fish oil and Krill oil is that the latter is less contaminated than the former. This however is not necessarily the case.

Airborne contamination can affect all parts of the globe. Scientists have found man-made pollution even in the North Atlantic and the Antarctic, including in creatures which inhabit the Antarctic such as penguins. Airborne pollution is found everywhere.

Establishing the cleanliness of the supplements that you buy is essential. Nowadays, sad to say, all forms of Omega 3 oils are likely to demonstrate some degree of contamination. The days are gone when it is possible to source marine oils high in DHA and EPA that are completely contamination free. This includes Krill oil.

However it’s quite possible to buy completely clean fish oil supplements. This is not because they are totally clean to begin with but it is because they have undergone rigorous decontamination processes, and the results have been checked by laboratory analysis. Before buying any Omega 3 supplements you should always check the certificate of analysis of the oil, which should always be made available to the public on the website.

Many people are unaware that Krill oil undergoes no decontamination process. It is therefore untrue to say that Krill oil is free from contamination.

3. Scientific Evidence Showing The Effectiveness Of The Supplements.

There have been literally thousands of studies which have demonstrated the effectiveness of the DHA and EPA Omega 3 fats in improving your health. However although there are claims by the manufacturers that Krill oil is tremendously effective in improving your health there are very few, if any, independent scientific studies that show that Krill oil is any better to your health compared to fish oil. The benefits of the Omega 3 fats in one will be the same benefits as found in the same quantity of Omega3 fats in the other.
    Most of the studies that do exist are in fact financed by people with a financial interest in selling Krill oil. One Canadian company owns the patent on Krill oil and finances the studies, of which there are very few.

4. The Presence Of Astaxanthin In Krill Oil.

It is said that Astaxanthin is a powerful antioxidant with significant health benefits, and that Astaxanthin is found in Krill. Whilst this is true it is also true that some high quality fish oil supplements contain Astaxanthin at a significantly higher proportion that is found in Krill oil.
    The anti-oxidant potency of Krill oil is in fact lower than that of the best fish oil supplements.

5. The DHA And EPA Are Attached To Phospholipids.

This is one more reason why it is claimed that Krill oil is more potent than fish oil. Without going into all of the scientific mumbo-jumbo about what this means, the bottom line is that there is no scientific evidence that this does anything at all, and there is no more evidence that the phospholipid structure in Krill oil offers any health benefits.

Ultimately Krill oil is about marketing. The health benefits of Omega 3 supplementation are established by many many scientific studies, and the benefit of fish oil to your health is recognized by such eminent authorities as the American Heart Association.

However, whilst Krill oil supplements are cleverly marketed, there is no independent scientific evidence to suggest that they are any more beneficial to your health than high quality Omega 3 fish oil supplements, they are dramatically more expensive for the same amount of active ingredient, and because they are not subject to any decontamination process the contamination level of Krill oil supplements may be extremely high. Nobody knows.

So if you’re convinced of the health benefits of DHA and EPA supplementation, and if you’ve been wondering about fish oil vs Krill oil debate, then rest assured that buying fish oil supplements will be cheaper, safer, and better for your health.

D_
  40. Featured Author
    Answers

2) I saw mention of lecithin, and naturally, phosphatidylcholine. I am turned on by choline because of purported benefits to mind and fat loss. For those pursuits, which form(s) are best? Lecithin, choline citrate, choline bitartrate, phosphatidyl choline, or other?
    I prefer CDP-Choline and/or alpha-GPC if trying to discern based on neurologic and/or performance/body comp standpoint.

3) Quercetin, bromelain, bioperine, naringin. I have a curcumin supp that bundles bioperine, but I am curious if any of the other compounds here help (or hinder) absorption of things like curcumin, Ursobolic, or things on your top-10 list.
    Well, ursolic acid is not on my "top 10" list, BUT minerals all act upon one another and could certainly impact serum concentrations, so selenium and magnesium are possibly an issue. The other bigger macro-molecules (aminos or dipeptides - like creatine, beta-alanine, leucine, carnitine) are usually not an issue in the absorption dept. CoQ10 is probably better absorbed in its alcohol form (ubiquinol), but doubling up would take care of this if using ubiquinone; also...a compound called limoned is championed in the life extension camps and LEF does put out a supplement with this item if interested.

4) What are your thoughts on Holy Basil, considering my goals?
    I think Holy Basil holds a lot of ergogenic possibility in the testosterone and body comp offering alone.

Thank you in advance for any inputs you can provide, doc. I also hope I'm not making too big of a splash and making too many demands. If you're back in the Baltimore area anytime soon I'd be happy to get you a brew or drink.
    Oh gosh, I travel quite a bit...but anytime I am traveling I usually let the forums know where I am going as best as I am able -or- on Facebook if you follow my company on there. I'd be happy to meet up with anyone interested if I am in your area or if anyone comes to my predominate address (Columbus, OH) say for the Arnold...let me know...I could arrange to meet up.

D_
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 01:14 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 12:44 AM
  3. Fish Supplements Fish Supplements Are Not All Equal
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM