Top 10 Supplements

Page 2 of 15 First 1234 ... Last
    •   
       


  1. Great stuff! I've just started with Magnesium oil as well in the mornings. I'm currently using 20 sprays (approx 200mg) of the Ancient Minerals blend and take another 250 mg mag citrate at night. Is that a good dosage of the oil in your experience? Also, any anecdotal effects when you take it?

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Magnesium is an unbelievably important mineral for all sorts of body processes.

    Here is a quick study showing just one of the many benefits of magnesium



    This shows that as consumption of magnesium fell, the levels of C-reactive protein went up, which is a measure of inflammation.

    Pretty much means great for your heart!!

    Hundreds of enzymes use magnesium for everything from regulating potassium status, as a calcium channel blocker, helps blood pressure stay down and blood vessels stay pliable, builds bones, and as an anti-inflammatory just to list a few

    There is also a belief that "Metabolic Syndrome" is nothing but a result of a magnesium deficiency. ( Metabolic syndrome is a name for a group of risk factors that occur together and increase the risk for coronary artery disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.)

    I can literally go on and on on the benefits of magnesium supplementation but I wont Instead I suggest you pick up this book Amazon.com: The Miracle of Magnesium (9780345445889): Carolyn Dean: Books

    In regards to topical use of magnesium, it has been shown to have the ability to raise DHEA levels when absorbed through the skin



    Here is a link to the study that shows that magnesium oil ramps up DHEA levels: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7364753.html

  2. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Magnesium is an unbelievably important mineral for all sorts of body processes.

    Here is a quick study showing just one of the many benefits of magnesium



    This shows that as consumption of magnesium fell, the levels of C-reactive protein went up, which is a measure of inflammation.

    Pretty much means great for your heart!!

    Hundreds of enzymes use magnesium for everything from regulating potassium status, as a calcium channel blocker, helps blood pressure stay down and blood vessels stay pliable, builds bones, and as an anti-inflammatory just to list a few

    There is also a belief that "Metabolic Syndrome" is nothing but a result of a magnesium deficiency. ( Metabolic syndrome is a name for a group of risk factors that occur together and increase the risk for coronary artery disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.)

    I can literally go on and on on the benefits of magnesium supplementation but I wont Instead I suggest you pick up this book Amazon.com: The Miracle of Magnesium (9780345445889): Carolyn Dean: Books

    In regards to topical use of magnesium, it has been shown to have the ability to raise DHEA levels when absorbed through the skin



    Here is a link to the study that shows that magnesium oil ramps up DHEA levels: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7364753.html
    Hey Josh, How many sprays of the magnesium oil do you use and how long does one bottle last with your dosing protocol?

  3. Is it a good idea to take Astaxanthin and Beta-Carotene together? I was thinking of purcashing the two supplements below. What do you think? Also, you say you can take water soluble vitamins C and B with meals throughout the day, what is the best way and time to take fat soluble vitamins A, D, and E? Spread out from one another with meals? All at one at breakfast?

    Astaxanthin Supplement Facts

    Serving Size: 1 softgel
    Servings per Container: 60
    Calories 5
    Calories from Fat 4
    Total Fat .05g 1%
    Vitamin A (100% as Natural Beta-Carotene) 105 IU 2%
    Vitamin E (as Natural d-alpha Tocopherol) 50 IU 167%
    BioAstin Natural Astaxanthin (from Haematococcus pluvialis Extract) 4mg **
    Lutein 40 mcg **

    and

    Natural Beta Carotene Supplement Facts

    Serving Size: 1 Softgel
    Servings per Container: 180
    Beta-Carotene (as pro-Vitamin A 15mg) 25,000 IU 500%
    Vitamin E (from Mixed Tocopherols) 5 IU 17%
    Lecithin (61% Phosphatides) 10mg **
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    Oh - what are your thoughts on that high a dose of astaxanthin? I have not encountered anyone religiously taking that much daily and I am just curious. I think the research is great (as stated above), but research doesn't always translate as we have discussed countless times in this subforum already.

    I have posted some leucine studies in the BCAA thread as well as some food-for-thought on the topic BASED on research. I never suggest people need take what I recommend; I just try and present what I can in as much an objective manner as possible...which is why I always limit myself to ingredient discussions and not products per se.

    I apologize but I don't really know what is in the product "Bio-Mend," but your list seems pretty respectible, so I presume it harbors some good ingredients.

    CLA is a tough ingredient to understand. I am happy you are taking a high enough dose...many don't take a true volume of distribution adjusted dose and its unfortunate when they denounce the product. The problem is that it doesn't produce visible changes in body composition often enough or quickly enough for some people's liking as well, but it has to be the only Omega-6 fatty acid I would suggest taking that big a supplemental dose of.


    D_

    As far as the CLA goes, are you saying I shouldn't give up on it just yet?. Also I didn't know it was an Omega 6 fatty acid. I probably could have figured that out via google though so guess I'm just lazy with some things...Anyway I have another question for you now regarding this. I have read numerous times that people get more than enough omega 6 fatty acids from diet. Plus if you supplement with excess omega 6 fatty acids this will throw off balance between omega 3's and omega 6's causing you to become deficient in omega 3s. So now I'm even more concerned about my CLA usage..... On the Astaxanthin dosage I really have no idea on the dosage. I read about it online here. I can tell a difference in endurance since I started taking it, but not sure how large of a dose is actually needed to maintain that. Bio Mend is an antioxident supplement.

  5. Dr. Houser,
    What dose do you recommend for curcumin?
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Dr. Houser,
    What dose do you recommend for curcumin?
    On top of this what about the dosage for vitamin B (and all the "-#" like b-12 etc.) I have heard that vitamin B is grossly overdosed. Or is it that the RDA levels are grossly underdosed? I know that there is research stating that vitamin B6 over dosing can down regulate androgen receptors... A nice dosing procedure for your top 10 would be excellent
    RecoverBro ELITE

  7. How much Selenium daily Doc? I find that if I supplement at night it gives me anxiety and keeps me up. Quite a few products I've used in the past that contain Selenium has done this... ZMK, Hgh-Up etc.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    My top ten:
    Alcar
    LCLT
    Beta-alanine
    Creatine
    Fish Oil
    ALA
    Vit D
    Magnesium
    BCAA, may switch to leucine, need to go do some reading in the bcaa thread
    Taurine, idk if it does anthing really but i dont take much else
    Nice List; I have very few gripes with it. I would suggest a switch to leucine and possibly dumping the taurine (simply to save money if you feel it's done nothing for you; I can't say I have ever gotten much from it either).

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Selenium
    Magnesium (applied trans-dermaly)
    Curcumin (too many reason to not supplement with this! See -> http://www.mindandmuscle.net/wiki/in...title=Curcumin)
    Beta-alanine
    fish oil
    toco-8 (Primordial performance product)
    BCAA/EAAs
    NAC
    betaine (TMG) (see my recent thread on betaine -> http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...genic-aid.html)
    Bio-Mend (App nut product)
    Vitamins C and D
    GPLC (or other variations of l-carnitine {ALCAR & PLCAR) & LCLT
    ALA
    DAA

    sorry I cant count
    A lot of people picking this BioMend up; apparently I got to check it out. Love curcumin and betaine (TMG; poor man's SAMe). Would be certainly not antagonistic to include betaine or SAMe to my list even.


    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    What would be the beneficial dosage range for these supplements for a 200lb trainee?
    Especially interested in selenium, curcumin and CoQ10.
    Thanks.
    Selenium 200mcg is more than sufficient for most; 400mcg in some larger harder-training individuals. Now, that's supplemental form. There's a narrow therapeutic window with it so you can't dose 100% freely, but it is even quintessential in testosterone production when combined with antioxidants like NAC.


    Quote Originally Posted by jbryand101b View Post
    the only muscle fibers that will decrease will be type 2B fibers, and they will change to type 2a as a result of training specificity (like resistance training)
    Says who? The one study referenced in this thread alone suggests type I fibers actually (of course the study is truly only correlational, but it's what we have to go by). Do you have a citation for this statement?


    D_
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author

  9. Quote Originally Posted by BurghHardcore View Post
    Is it a good idea to take Astaxanthin and Beta-Carotene together? I was thinking of purcashing the two supplements below. What do you think? Also, you say you can take water soluble vitamins C and B with meals throughout the day, what is the best way and time to take fat soluble vitamins A, D, and E? Spread out from one another with meals? All at one at breakfast?

    Astaxanthin Supplement Facts

    Serving Size: 1 softgel
    Servings per Container: 60
    Calories 5
    Calories from Fat 4
    Total Fat .05g 1%
    Vitamin A (100% as Natural Beta-Carotene) 105 IU 2%
    Vitamin E (as Natural d-alpha Tocopherol) 50 IU 167%
    BioAstin Natural Astaxanthin (from Haematococcus pluvialis Extract) 4mg **
    Lutein 40 mcg **


    and

    Natural Beta Carotene Supplement Facts

    Serving Size: 1 Softgel
    Servings per Container: 180
    Beta-Carotene (as pro-Vitamin A 15mg) 25,000 IU 500%
    Vitamin E (from Mixed Tocopherols) 5 IU 17%
    Lecithin (61% Phosphatides) 10mg **
    Sure, mixed carotenoids is probably the best way to go and one would suggest a balance to be established with all of them.

    The first product looks better and the second one (not bad, just unnecessary).

    As for fat-soluble vitamins...Vitamin D depends on how much you take, if you're taking D2 or D3 (I presume most on this board take D3), or if you have any absorption issues. We can't always control absorption issues...but safely 2,000-5,000IU can be taken by everyone daily of Vitamin D3...once during the day is fine as they accumulate in the liver and various other fatty areas.

    Vitamin A, you'd be taking care of with your mixed carotenoid supplement. Vitamin A (retinol) itself does NOT need to be taken supplementally and could prove toxic really easy; beta-carotene (two retinol molecules put together)...is only called to action when needed. Use beta-carotene before considering a retinol supplement.

    Vitamin E....I think people on this board have done well in taking all 8 isomers (A product like someone mentioned above in Primordial Performance's Toco-8 and there are some products from Jarrow and/or AOR that are decent isomer variants of the vitamin - again, once daily is plenty.

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    As far as the CLA goes, are you saying I shouldn't give up on it just yet?. Also I didn't know it was an Omega 6 fatty acid. I probably could have figured that out via google though so guess I'm just lazy with some things...Anyway I have another question for you now regarding this. I have read numerous times that people get more than enough omega 6 fatty acids from diet. Plus if you supplement with excess omega 6 fatty acids this will throw off balance between omega 3's and omega 6's causing you to become deficient in omega 3s. So now I'm even more concerned about my CLA usage..... On the Astaxanthin dosage I really have no idea on the dosage. I read about it online here. I can tell a difference in endurance since I started taking it, but not sure how large of a dose is actually needed to maintain that. Bio Mend is an antioxident supplement.
    As for CLA...fear not, my friend...you must realize that Linoleic (alongside linolenic) acid are ESSENTIAL (in other words, you gotta take them daily). If you're supplementing with 2-4 grams of combined EPA + DHA, you should not push your 3:6 ratio off much, if at all. There are plenty of positives for this fatty acid and I think if you stop it, you'll probably have the easiest time identifying what it did while you were on it...but yeah, I agree it isn't a caffeine or anything that you could feel any different with in any quick time frame unfortunately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Dr. Houser,
    What dose do you recommend for curcumin?
    Can I say as much as you can take...spice, root, powder, pill. I am well aware of the absorption issues with it and unfortunately, I don't think anyone can answer this with 100% certainty....but I think it should be used as frequently as money can afford it and in as much a tally.


    D_
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author

  10. My top supplements.

    Beef
    Chicken
    Greens
    Eggs
    Almost any non farm raised fish
    Beef
    Any greens
    Beef
    Sugar
    Non farm raised fish

    If most people spent the money they spent on supps on organic foods, locally grown foods, hormone free meats, etc... They would be healthier And wealthier.

    Oh and again, this is my list. I MAY have an occasional protein shake if I'm pressed for time but that's about as much as I supplement.

    Just me.
    When you leave this world, will it be a better place because you were here?

  11. Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    On top of this what about the dosage for vitamin B (and all the "-#" like b-12 etc.) I have heard that vitamin B is grossly overdosed. Or is it that the RDA levels are grossly underdosed? I know that there is research stating that vitamin B6 over dosing can down regulate androgen receptors... A nice dosing procedure for your top 10 would be excellent
    There's a product called "B-Right" from Jarrow Formulations with lower dose B vitamins in their cofactor form. I recommend 1-2 caps with EVERY meal. That's right...I said every meal if you can afford it. Vitamin B actually has research supporting it's use (agree with B6 being an issue, but its easier to worry about peripheral neuropathy than it is testosterone deficiency with it) in MUCH higher doses than recommended.

    I have got to break for the night in a minute, BUT will offer what I USE in dosing of the top 10 tomorrow at some point. You can extrapolate what you will from that.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnlikelyToad View Post
    How much Selenium daily Doc? I find that if I supplement at night it gives me anxiety and keeps me up. Quite a few products I've used in the past that contain Selenium has done this... ZMK, Hgh-Up etc.
    Hey Jordan!

    Selenium (as I just posted) at 200-400mcg/day...not too high as it has a narrow therapeutic index (side effects are very real if going too high). I am unsure what is in the product Hgh-Up (but I did believe that to be a nighttime formula, so interesting), but I do know that ZMK is a "krebs cycle product" which some of those salts could easily account for the anxiety you feel and keeping you up at night. Let me review what is in Hgh-Up and get back to you to see if I see any pattern in ingredient/form, etc...

    I don't know if everyone on the board wants kids, but - if that's the case selenium is VERY important in this regard (some may do well without procreating and they can turn a blind eye to my writing on this). I am happy everyone is taking heed to the notion that it is VERY important.


    D_
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author

  12. Quote Originally Posted by dunhill225 View Post
    My top supplements.

    Beef
    Chicken
    Greens
    Eggs
    Almost any non farm raised fish
    Beef
    Any greens
    Beef
    Sugar
    Non farm raised fish

    If most people spent the money they spent on supps on organic foods, locally grown foods, hormone free meats, etc... They would be healthier And wealthier.

    Oh and again, this is my list. I MAY have an occasional protein shake if I'm pressed for time but that's about as much as I supplement.

    Just me.
    Well said and point well taken actually.

    Most bodybuilder's diets are, however, usually deficient in something and certain things do have an ergogenic effect above a certain dose.

    D_
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author

  13. Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    Can I say as much as you can take...spice, root, powder, pill. I am well aware of the absorption issues with it and unfortunately, I don't think anyone can answer this with 100% certainty....but I think it should be used as frequently as money can afford it and in as much a tally.
    Wow. Well I guess I'll be picking up a bunch of turmeric then... thanks!
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***

  14. So complicated, lol

    Ill stick to my Orange Triad, Fish Oil, Garlic Oil, E3 Live (Klamath Lake Frozen Liquid Blue Green Algae), extra Vitamin C and D.

    Orange Triad Link
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/c...-270-tabs.html
    Liked this post:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gutterpump, Matthandyo, Dma378, Misfit and 10 others

  15. [QUOTE=dinoiii;3044865]Nice List; I have very few gripes with it. I would suggest a switch to leucine and possibly dumping the taurine (simply to save money if you feel it's done nothing for you; I can't say I have ever gotten much from it either).

    The only thing i notice from taurine it is a slight reduction in back pumps when doing deadlifts. But Ill be changing some things around in my list after reading your posts on some things in here. I read over in the bcaa thread. So you believe leucine outside of bcaa has just as much benifit? Bc your thread turned into a study war lol

  16. [QUOTE=SweetLou321;3045060]
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    Nice List; I have very few gripes with it. I would suggest a switch to leucine and possibly dumping the taurine (simply to save money if you feel it's done nothing for you; I can't say I have ever gotten much from it either).

    The only thing i notice from taurine it is a slight reduction in back pumps when doing deadlifts. But Ill be changing some things around in my list after reading your posts on some things in here. I read over in the bcaa thread. So you believe leucine outside of bcaa has just as much benifit? Bc your thread turned into a study war lol
    How come you get back pumps after deadlifts? Or maybe I should ask, where in your back do you get them?

  17. Its like a pump in the lumbar region that can be cripling. Similar to those ppl feel when on certain AAS. I havent had the issue in ages, so ill prob drop the taurine.

  18. Guess I will continue with the CLA than. It is pretty cheap so no problem continuing use.
  19. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Sub'd for more info and looking forward to hearing more doses used on these products/ingredients (minimum/maximum and optimal, along with timing).

  20. 8. Curcumin (anti-inflammatory/pro-testosterone, can be found in every guy's cupboard I hope...understand bioavailability is poor, so take more of it!!!!); How much ? Are we talking 1g p/d?

    6. L-carnitine (all forms, but LOVE LCLT/PLC/ALCAR combo); I agree, I'll be honest the original form started leaning me out! I plan on taking 5g p/d.

    5. Leucine (NOT all BCAAs; leucine alone is overlooked and the only sole ketogenic BCAA); Any info on timing?

    3. CoQ10 (multi-function strikes again - can change type I muscle fibers to type IIs; can protect the heart; act as an antioxidant, etc...); This actual form, or the other form? How much should we take?

    Thanks

  21. Doc,

    Where is augmatine in this list? MAN promotes it as the "Holy Grail" of bodybuilding supplements. I also know you have researched it extensively. I have tried it and I can't say it did much for me but I only used one bottle. It may need to be used for a longer period to exert it's overall effects. Moreover, it doesn't get a lot of love on the bodybuilding forums.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by AdelV View Post
    8. Curcumin (anti-inflammatory/pro-testosterone, can be found in every guy's cupboard I hope...understand bioavailability is poor, so take more of it!!!!); How much ? Are we talking 1g p/d?

    6. L-carnitine (all forms, but LOVE LCLT/PLC/ALCAR combo); I agree, I'll be honest the original form started leaning me out! I plan on taking 5g p/d.

    5. Leucine (NOT all BCAAs; leucine alone is overlooked and the only sole ketogenic BCAA); Any info on timing?

    3. CoQ10 (multi-function strikes again - can change type I muscle fibers to type IIs; can protect the heart; act as an antioxidant, etc...); This actual form, or the other form? How much should we take?

    Thanks
    At least for the curcumin, dinoiii said as much as you can get should be your goal.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***

  23. OK my 10 would be

    Vitamin C
    Resveratrol
    Fish oil
    B-Vits
    Lecithin
    Aniracetam
    Creatine
    Milk thistle
    Beta-alanine
    N-acetyl-cystiene

  24. Dana,
    Should someone that is in a exclusively explosive sport avoid q10? Lets say a long drive golfer.. would it slow down his muscle fibers?

  25. doc,
    wondering why so much b complex is suggested, as a former trainee under u i had to cut mine back to once or twice a day do to insomnia, and it hurting like hell to pee after a few days of taking b complex with every meal!

    probably dont remember this but it was way too much fro me to take a b complex with every meal, kind of over use if u ask me?

    also DAA gave me the WORST heartburn i have ever had in my life! had to drop it fast! why i ask?

    also HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE/???:

    3. CoQ10 (multi-function strikes again - can change type I muscle fibers to type IIs; can protect the heart; act as an antioxidant, etc...);

    i was under the sumption that once your born with a muscle make up, that one COULD NOT CHANGE THEIR MUSCLE FIBER TYPES, but could learn to train them instead, i was not aware that ones genetics could change by a single supplement, at all!

    IF THIS IS IN FACT A TRUTH, THEN THE FDA WILL HAVE A FIELD DAY WITH THIS, AND ALSO WE HAVE FOUND THE "MAGIC PILL!!!"

    please do explain in laymans terms and non of that doctor type lingos, because i might throw in the flag on this one!

  26. 11 dianabol - yes, there IS an 11th supplement!
    10 resveratrol and quercetin - resv = bulk powder. too many reasons to use it. querc = - too many reasons to use it, helps stuff like resveratrol work, cheap.
    9 lclt/alcar combo - bulk powders. too many reasons to use these
    8 green foods powder - chlorella, spirulina, veggies, mixed into a shake, usually post workout or pre-bed.
    using NOW green phytofoods atm...
    7 coq10, ala, sam-e/tmg, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, olive oil - tie!
    6 multimineral - using a NOW product, actually 1/2 daily dose, with 1/2 tab crushed and added to intra drink on wo days too. generating less than 1/4 the selenium recommended by d_. need to get a selenium supp in the mail asap!
    5 omega 3s - keep them in the fridge!
    4 coconut oil - outside and inside, good for you, helps absorption of phs and fat soluble stuffs, full of mct's (lauric acid, anyone?), antimicrobial, use on skin too mixed with other essential oils, cedar being one of my favorites.
    3 vitamins d and c - d = take 10,000iu/day through the winter, none in the summer with 2hours shirtless sun between 10 and 2:00/week, c = buffered with calcium and magnesium, not pre-workout.
    2 turmeric/curcumin - bulk powder, dump a few grams turmeric in natty choco whey shakes, add olive/coconut oil - tastes great!
    1 astaxanthin - 1 gram 1% bulk powder daily - after a couple weeks of this with curcumin, i was able to bench again after many years of heavy shoulder pain. now, 80-90% less pain doing these movements.

    what i am taking away from this thread -
    focus on ingredients.
    get BACK on a cooenzyme b complex... dammit!
    get a BACK on a selenium SPECIFIC supplement... dammit!

  27. Hey Dr.
    Any thoughts on a Tumeric Phytosome like Meriva?

  28. Great info in here...Love it
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 02:14 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 01:44 AM
  3. Fish Supplements Fish Supplements Are Not All Equal
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 12:25 PM
  4. Bodybuilding Supplements Vs Antiaging Supplements
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 08:52 AM
  5. help with supplements
    By jlyon5 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Log in
Log in