Top 10 Supplements

Page 15 of 17 First ... 1314151617 Last

1. Also I've been going back and fourth in my mind wondering about Vitamin D3 supplementation. It just seems way too hyped lately. I could just go ahead and get some and start using it but I don't really think that is safe. Never been tested for it and none of my doctors have ever suggested getting tested. I say "doctors" because I've switched doctors several times in the past year because I have not been happy with my physician. They always seem to rush me out and I'm never given the opportunity to ask questions.

2. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Also I've been going back and fourth in my mind wondering about Vitamin D3 supplementation. It just seems way too hyped lately. I could just go ahead and get some and start using it but I don't really think that is safe. Never been tested for it and none of my doctors have ever suggested getting tested. I say "doctors" because I've switched doctors several times in the past year because I have not been happy with my physician. They always seem to rush me out and I'm never given the opportunity to ask questions.
    Use vitamin D3. What is unsafe about supplemental D3? Your body synthesizes far higher amounts via sunlight exposure than any supplement could provide. There is a toxicity study on D3 showing symptoms after ingestion of several million IUs of D3 DAILY for months (no typos).
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Use vitamin D3. What is unsafe about supplemental D3? Your body synthesizes far higher amounts via sunlight exposure than any supplement could provide. There is a toxicity study on D3 showing symptoms after ingestion of several million IUs of D3 DAILY for months (no typos).

I've read that Vitamin D3 can cause a deficiency in Vitamin K.

4. Again, you would need to consume like 20 bottles of vitamin D pills daily to reach those toxic levels.
    •   

5. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Again, you would need to consume like 20 bottles of vitamin D pills daily to reach those toxic levels.
    Ok I will try supplementing with D3.

6. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Cool. 400mg once a day would be easier anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    And cheaper. Coq10 is quite pricey.
    Thats what i was thinking. Several years ago i tried using Coq10 and SAMe regularly ~ the excessive costs outweighed the benefits for myself

Serious Nutrition Solution ~~

mw at seriousnutritionsolutions dot com
    mike at competitiveedgelabs dot com

7. Quote Originally Posted by mw1 View Post
    Thats what i was thinking. Several years ago i tried using Coq10 and SAMe regularly ~ the excessive costs outweighed the benefits for myself

It depends. If you stop spending money on a lot of unnecessary supplements and just use health type basic supplements I think it is affordable. It's not affordable for me now, but once I catch up on bills and rent....That is, IF I catch up then I will budget for it because it does have many benefits that I think are much more important than supplements that are just for ergogenic value.

8. Coop do you have any input on whether a greens supplement like I posted above is worth the cost? I think Green Vibrance runs about $50-$55 for a 60 day supply and has one of the most extensive profiles I've seen.

9. Quote Originally Posted by houstontexas View Post
    Coop do you have any input on whether a greens supplement like I posted above is worth the cost? I think Green Vibrance runs about $50-$55 for a 60 day supply and has one of the most extensive profiles I've seen.
    I don't think it's worth it unless your diet is very deficient in mixed vegetables.

10. Quote Originally Posted by houstontexas View Post
    Coop do you have any input on whether a greens supplement like I posted above is worth the cost? I think Green Vibrance runs about $50-$55 for a 60 day supply and has one of the most extensive profiles I've seen.
    Eat like 3 different coloured fruits day; for variety and other benefits and have some yoghurt with added probiotics. Supplementation is only necerssary if you can't obtain it from food (whether that be because you dont liek the food or you just cant eat it for religious/personal reasons i.e vegtarians should supplement with b12 and iron; in my line of work anyway)

11. Went ahead and purchased vitamin d3. It's very affordable so I guess I'll see if there are actually any benefits once I've taken it for a while.

12. Also ordered some Coq10. Looking it up there are so many benefits to taking it, so I'll likely keep taking as a staple supplement. Thanks for your help mr.cooper.

13. I wonder where dr.d went though.

14. Isn't Coq10 more beneficial for older people, as in 30+?
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com

15. Quote Originally Posted by PuZo
    Isn't Coq10 more beneficial for older people, as in 30+?
    Wow...feeling old now. Lol
    Mr. Supps Board Rep

16. Quote Originally Posted by AE14

Wow...feeling old now. Lol
    me too...just turned 32 wednesday
    OLYMPUS UK REP

17. Quote Originally Posted by PuZo View Post
    Isn't Coq10 more beneficial for older people, as in 30+?
    Yes. The older, the more beneficial (in theory).

18. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Yes. The older, the more beneficial (in theory).
    Due to increased statin levels?
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com

19. Quote Originally Posted by PuZo View Post
    Due to increased statin levels?
    No, not particularly

20. Is Ubiquinol in any way superior to CoQ10?.

21. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Is Ubiquinol in any way superior to CoQ10?.
    Since the body converts ubiquinone into ubiquinol, there is an extra step involved, and not all of the ingested ubiquinone gets converted into ubiquinol. In healthy people, over 90% of the CoQ10 in the blood is in the form of ubiquinol, but as you get older, both the total level of coenzyme Q10 and the body's ability to turn it into ubiquinol decline (this is probably, although not clearly identified in research, something that begins at a very young age - like 20-25 years and continues to decline like the hormone milleu that you see with testosterone, et al...).

Note that this doesn't mean that taking ubiquinone is ineffective; all it means is that taking ubiquinol is more effective. If you are in your twenties, your body can probably convert much of the ubiquinone into ubiquinol, which means that you can save money and get the cheaper form (then again, this may mean that you probably don't need supplemental CoQ10 in the first place, although I am unsure given the effects, that you'd go wrong even in a state of "excess" although again - not clearly identified). If, on the other hand, you are over forty or concerned about your heart health, it may be worthwhile to go for the ubiquinol.

So how much ubiquinone is pure ubiquinol equal to? According to Kaneka, apparently the only manufacturer of ubiquinol, ubiquinol is up to six times as effective as ubiquinone in increasing blood levels of ubiquinol. So to get the same effect, you could take one sixth of the amount as ubiquinol compared to ubiquinone. But read the "up to" part of that statement; its long-since been suggested to use two times as much ubiqinone versus ubiquinol, but this number probably isn't that static.

D_
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author

22. Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    Since the body converts ubiquinone into ubiquinol, there is an extra step involved, and not all of the ingested ubiquinone gets converted into ubiquinol. In healthy people, over 90% of the CoQ10 in the blood is in the form of ubiquinol, but as you get older, both the total level of coenzyme Q10 and the body's ability to turn it into ubiquinol decline (this is probably, although not clearly identified in research, something that begins at a very young age - like 20-25 years and continues to decline like the hormone milleu that you see with testosterone, et al...).

Note that this doesn't mean that taking ubiquinone is ineffective; all it means is that taking ubiquinol is more effective. If you are in your twenties, your body can probably convert much of the ubiquinone into ubiquinol, which means that you can save money and get the cheaper form (then again, this may mean that you probably don't need supplemental CoQ10 in the first place, although I am unsure given the effects, that you'd go wrong even in a state of "excess" although again - not clearly identified). If, on the other hand, you are over forty or concerned about your heart health, it may be worthwhile to go for the ubiquinol.

So how much ubiquinone is pure ubiquinol equal to? According to Kaneka, apparently the only manufacturer of ubiquinol, ubiquinol is up to six times as effective as ubiquinone in increasing blood levels of ubiquinol. So to get the same effect, you could take one sixth of the amount as ubiquinol compared to ubiquinone. But read the "up to" part of that statement; its long-since been suggested to use two times as much ubiqinone versus ubiquinol, but this number probably isn't that static.

D_

So after reading that I'm still not sure what would be the superior product to take, either CoQ10 or Ubiquinol. I just purchased a 60 count bottle of CoQ10 400 mg a week or so ago. I'll continue to take that till I run out but I'm wondering if I should switch to Ubiquinol at that time and what dosage to run. I'm currently just taking one 400mg CoQ10 cap a day. I just turned 40 at the end of July. Heart disease/High Cholesterol/Type 2 Diabetes/Stroke/dementia all in family history. So I'd like to take some preventative measures including supplementation.

23. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    So after reading that I'm still not sure what would be the superior product to take, either CoQ10 or Ubiquinol.
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post

D_

A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7

24. Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post

Ok yeah it seems quite clear that ubiquinol would be a better choice. What about dosage though and expense?. Would it be cheaper to just get a higher dosage CoQ10 than a lower dosed ubiquinol?.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 03:14 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 02:44 AM
  3. Fish Supplements Fish Supplements Are Not All Equal
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
  4. Bodybuilding Supplements Vs Antiaging Supplements
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements