Top 10 Supplements

Page 11 of 11 First ... 691011
  1. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    That's a hefty dose of ubiquinol. Also, my recent med school studies have led me to believe that supplementing CoQ10 as a healthy youngster is pretty much a waste of money. You can probably just ditch the curcumin too, unless you have some sort of inflammatory disorder.The dose of magnesium may be too high as well. The rest looks great. Consider, for health:Green Tea ExtractGreen Coffee Bean ExtractBetaine Anhydrous81mg Aspirin
    Per Coop's recommendation a couple days ago, I ditched CoQ10 for my later years in life. Being an autodidact, I place my trust in the med school student. I know Dr. Houser advocates CoQ10, but his recommendation may not fit due to my age range.

Coop,

What is your opinion on omega 3's being unstable and easily oxidized, and the possibility that they get incorporated in your cell membranes and make you unstable and easily oxidized?

Here's my updated one, MustangMan:

(no order)

1. Na-R-Ala
    2. ALCAR
    3. GTE
    4. Magnesium
    5. LCLT
    6. Tocopherol/Tocotrienol
    7. Fish Oil
    8. ---
    9. ---
    10. ---

I'm not sure what to place in those last three theoretical spots. Obviously, I don't need to have anything in those spots, but I like looking for the perfect candidate.

I'll steal those last three to add extras in preworkout ingredients:

Citrulline Malate
    Caffeine
    PLCAR
    Creatine Nitrate

I guess the list is ever evolving.

I dropped creatine and beta alanine because I haven't responded any time I have taken them. I don't avoid them if they are already in a product though.

2. Registered User
    Answers

I think the possibility of supplemental Omega-3s causing cross-linking and oxidative stress is very real. I know it's been beaten to death, but if you can get n-3s through your diet, do so. If not, there are protective measures that can be taken, e.g. co-ingestion with certain ingredients (not vitamin E, as that has been pretty much proven ineffective for such). For instance, you put ALA in your top 10 supplements. ALA has good data showing it prevents lipid peroxidation.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  3. Registered User
    Answers

I think the possibility of supplemental Omega-3s causing cross-linking and oxidative stress is very real. I know it's been beaten to death, but if you can get n-3s through your diet, do so. If not, there are protective measures that can be taken, e.g. co-ingestion with certain ingredients (not vitamin E, as that has been pretty much proven ineffective for such). For instance, you put ALA in your top 10 supplements. ALA has good data showing it prevents lipid peroxidation.
    Thanks, Coop.

I really never consider it to be a possibility until recently (I think you are aware of the conversation). I really don't eat that much seafood, but anyway, is 2-3g EPA/DHA still warranted? I see many people just blindly throw that range out there.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    Thanks, Coop.

I really never consider it to be a possibility until recently (I think you are aware of the conversation). I really don't eat that much seafood, but anyway, is 2-3g EPA/DHA still warranted? I see many people just blindly throw that range out there.
    3g EPA/DHA is the total daily plasma saturation level. It is the most aggressive dose of EPA/DHA that can be used without heavy peroxidation and "waste." I personally take about 2g EPA/DHA daily with high fat meals, and in triglyceride form.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

3g EPA/DHA is the total daily plasma saturation level. It is the most aggressive dose of EPA/DHA that can be used without heavy peroxidation and "waste." I personally take about 2g EPA/DHA daily with high fat meals, and in triglyceride form.
    I've always taken fish oil because of the purported benefits/importance of fatty acids, their role in the synthesis of other compounds (citicoline), etc. However, I may drop it. Like I said to you before, my goal is to minimize worthless supplementation. I've realized that most of the stuff I take (even if it has some supportive studies) isn't benefiting me (and a waste of money).

I need to become a minimalist; in the sense that, I'll only take compounds that directly benefit my health, Olympic weightlifting training, and my studies.

This is definitely not a novel idea, but one I should have entertained earlier.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Definitely trying to pare down my supp list as well, but it so easy to get distracted or fooled into the next big thing, lol.

Coop, what do you think about the PhosphoMega or phospholipid bound EPA? Seems the price doesn't warrant the benefit to me.

Current refined list:

Ubiquinol 200 mg
    p-5-p 25 mg
    methylfolate 1.6 mg
    methylcobalamin 5 mg
    fish oil 2 g
    beta alanine 1-2 g
    TMG 1g
    rezveratrol
    and varying types of ALCAR, generally at around 500 mg.

I rotate in a multivitamin at times as well as various herbs for various specified needs (like ashwagahnda for stress) but that's the main list.

Obviously, like most here, I am constantly trialing new workout supps just for fun/motivation/goal specific.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Definitely trying to pare down my supp list as well, but it so easy to get distracted or fooled into the next big thing, lol.

Coop, what do you think about the PhosphoMega or phospholipid bound EPA? Seems the price doesn't warrant the benefit to me.

Current refined list:

Ubiquinol 200 mg
    p-5-p 25 mg
    methylfolate 1.6 mg
    methylcobalamin 5 mg
    fish oil 2 g
    beta alanine 1-2 g
    TMG 1g
    rezveratrol
    and varying types of ALCAR, generally at around 500 mg.

I rotate in a multivitamin at times as well as various herbs for various specified needs (like ashwagahnda for stress) but that's the main list.

Obviously, like most here, I am constantly trialing new workout supps just for fun/motivation/goal specific.
    I don't think it's worth the price either. I'd also try to bump up your TMG dose (if not for general health that is).
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks! 1g of TMG is probably my average per day. I forget to take it, then down 5g preWO. The data on it has definitely gotten more interesting over the years. Unfortunately, that means the price will shoot up as well.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MustangManGT View Post
    So I got my daily health stack down for the most part...

(in no particular order)

1. Ubiquinol @ 400mg
    2. Curcumin @ 1g (should I dose higher than this due to poor bio-availability?)
    3. Jarrow B-Right @ 1 capsule/day and 5000mcg Methyl B12 tablets
    4. MAN Orotine/Clout (3g Creatine Orotate)
    5. Vitamin D3 5000 I.U.
    6. Vitamin C @ 250mg twice/daily
    7. LEF Super Selenium Complex (200mcg)
    8. MagTein (Magnesium L-Theronate @ 2g)
    9. Beta alanine/LCLT/Leucine I get from Body Octane/Clout and Figure Fuel
    10. Biotivia Pteromax (1 capsule/day)

What does everyone think?
    That's a lot of magnesium. Why so much?
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sideshowdoc View Post
    That's a lot of magnesium. Why so much?

That's just the amount of Magnesium L-Theronate, elemental magnesium is 144mg per serving.
  11. Registered User
    Answers

That's just the amount of Magnesium L-Theronate, elemental magnesium is 144mg per serving.
    How long have you been taking it? Have you been taking it long enough to notice any differences?
    EvoMuse
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Per Coop's recommendation a couple days ago, I ditched CoQ10 for my later years in life. Being an autodidact, I place my trust in the med school student. I know Dr. Houser advocates CoQ10, but his recommendation may not fit due to my age range.

Coop,

What is your opinion on omega 3's being unstable and easily oxidized, and the possibility that they get incorporated in your cell membranes and make you unstable and easily oxidized?

Here's my updated one, MustangMan:

(no order)

1. Na-R-Ala
    2. ALCAR
    3. GTE
    4. Magnesium
    5. LCLT
    6. Tocopherol/Tocotrienol
    7. Fish Oil
    8. ---
    9. ---
    10. ---

I'm not sure what to place in those last three theoretical spots. Obviously, I don't need to have anything in those spots, but I like looking for the perfect candidate.

I'll steal those last three to add extras in preworkout ingredients:

Citrulline Malate
    Caffeine
    PLCAR
    Creatine Nitrate

I guess the list is ever evolving.

I dropped creatine and beta alanine because I haven't responded any time I have taken them. I don't avoid them if they are already in a product though.
    May have to add GTE myself. Otherwise using pretty much all of that. I dropped COQ-10 because it is expensive but have made sure my parents use it.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  13. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    May have to add GTE myself. Otherwise using pretty much all of that. I dropped COQ-10 because it is expensive but have made sure my parents use it.
    I've added GTE and dropped CoQ10 based on a worthy recommendation. It is definitely not needed at my age, even though I thought I could still benefit from some ergogenic capacity.

I've been revamping my list over the past week or so. I realized that I don't benefit from most of the supplements I take due to my adequate diet and young age (and some compounds don't even have a use in healthy individuals).

My list is now comprised of:

Health:
    Na-R-Ala
    ALCAR
    GTE
    Magnesium
    Cissus
    Olive Leaf Extract

Peformance:
    Citrulline Malate
    LCLT
    Caffeine
  14. Registered User
    Answers

These are all association studies, but domore, you'd especially like the fact that GTE has human data showing reduced LDL and triglycerides, increased HDL and:

Tea Consumption Enhances Endothelial-Dependent Vasodilation; a Meta-Analysis

That's a relative flow increase of 40%
  15. Registered User
    Answers

These are all association studies, but domore, you'd especially like the fact that GTE has human data showing reduced LDL and triglycerides, increased HDL and:

Tea Consumption Enhances Endothelial-Dependent Vasodilation; a Meta-Analysis

That's a relative flow increase of 40%
    Thanks for the reference of endothelial vasodilation, too. Could I draw the correlation that since hypertension is a risk factor of CVD and endothelial dysfunction plays a role in the development of CVD, green tea extract seems to be a winner for pre-hypertensive individuals?
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Can you tell much of a difference using that particular kind of magnesium?? I guess it claims to have more pronounced effects on cognitive functions....
  17. Registered User
    Answers

Thanks for the reference of endothelial vasodilation, too. Could I draw the correlation that since hypertension is a risk factor of CVD and endothelial dysfunction plays a role in the development of CVD, green tea extract seems to be a winner for pre-hypertensive individuals?
    Yes. If you look at the whole body of data, (lower TG, lower LDL, higher HDL, increased endothelial function) it would be tough to believe that all of this is just a lifestyle correlation with those who drink tea (though it still could be).
  18. Registered User
    Answers

Yes. If you look at the whole body of data, (lower TG, lower LDL, higher HDL, increased endothelial function) it would be tough to believe that all of this is just a lifestyle correlation with those who drink tea (though it still could be).
    Good deal. I don't know why I haven't considered supplementing with it. I've purchased some last week so I've been incorporating it into my regimen.
    EvoMuse
  19. Registered User
    Answers

I'm personally a believer in Curcumin. I'm six months out of a torn labrum surgery now. Last month on some heavy shoulder presses, my shoulder really got inflamed. I took curcumin (1.5g) along with ginger (1.5g) for a few days and inflammation went away. Ever since, I've made it part of my supplemental diet. Plus it also has many other benefits (anti cancer, fights tumors, anti Alzheimer, etc). There are lots of studies and research done on it.

I like Cissus too, but it hasn't been as studied as Curcumin. I also wonder if it produces estrogen, but some say the opposite saying it's anabolic.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Answers

That's a hefty dose of ubiquinol. Also, my recent med school studies have led me to believe that supplementing CoQ10 as a healthy youngster is pretty much a waste of money. You can probably just ditch the curcumin too, unless you have some sort of inflammatory disorder.The dose of magnesium may be too high as well. The rest looks great. Consider, for health:Green Tea ExtractGreen Coffee Bean ExtractBetaine Anhydrous81mg Aspirin
    Ive been using 120mg cq10 for years. Waste? Should I use ubiquinol?
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  21. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post
    Ive been using 120mg cq10 for years. Waste? Should I use ubiquinol?
    How old are you? Ubiquinol is even more elderly-specific since the aging population has trouble reducing ubiquinone.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Answers

How old are you? Ubiquinol is even more elderly-specific since the aging population has trouble reducing ubiquinone.
    27. I'd actually love to drop the coq10, it is pretty expensive.

My father is 55 and on statins. He's using 120mg coq10 a day. Should he bump it up or switch to Ubiquinol?
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  23. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post
    27. I'd actually love to drop the coq10, it is pretty expensive.

My father is 55 and on statins. He's using 120mg coq10 a day. Should he bump it up or switch to Ubiquinol?
    He'd be better served on ubiquinol at 100-200mg daily
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Answers

He'd be better served on ubiquinol at 100-200mg daily
    Thanks Coop, I'll get him on it
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Going to be switching some stuff up then I started reading a little in here. Not sure what each of those supplements are, looks like I will be doing some research before I ask to many questions.

Here is what I have I dont take all of them sometimes I miss one or they have just been sitting around.

Supplement/time
    Sundown B Complex/ 2x 1 breakfast and dinner
    DHEA 50mg / dinner
    fishoil 1000mg /1@3x
    cinnamon 1000mg/1x upon waking
    CoQ-10 30mg/not regularly
    Milk thistle 240mg w/dandelion,fennel,licorice combined 560mg/ 1xmorning
    Centrum adult multi
    garlic 1500mg/1x night
    vitamin c 1000mg /1@2x
    calcium 1000mg,magnesium400mg and zinc25mg /1@2x
    Creatine 5g daily
    fenugreek 500mg /1@night
    MACA 1500mg /just have it not sure about taking

right now just a fat burner 2x day morning(or preworkout) and another midday

gonna be looking around for some goodies soon. I guess youd say that above is just normal stuff. I am 34 yrs old. I have a goal of losing the midsection. I get caliper checked today, that will gauge how much body fat I need to lose. id say I am at 20-25% I have very little body fat everywhere except my mid section.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 01:14 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 12:44 AM
  3. Fish Supplements Fish Supplements Are Not All Equal
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM
  4. Bodybuilding Supplements Vs Antiaging Supplements
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements