Advice on accurate blood pressure monitor

ratdog

Awards
I have dealt with high bp for almost 20 years. Each time I check my BP with a different machine I most always get a different reading. My upper arms are larger than average, so maybe the cuffs are too small. Anyone had any luck finding an accurate BP monitor that works for guys with bigger arms?

andro69

andro69

Awards
  • Established
I was in the same boat as you. Bigger arms than the average cuff could hold and constantly getting a little higher reading. Find a bigger cuff or use the wrist BP machine. I thought they would be a little off until I had my wife (nurse) check it with a sphygnomonometer (spelling) right after I checked it with the wrist machine and they were pretty dam close. Off by maybe 2 points.

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
i agree with the post above. however, i'd stay away from the wrist cuff machines. they are not as accurate. go to a local medical supply store and get a larger arm cuff. this will solve the problem. your local pharmacies will not carry these(large cuffs) btw.

abragers

Awards
Accurate blood pressure monitor suggestions

I've got an auto inflate model made by Omron, that is very accurate. The reason I know is that I've brought it along to the doctor's office and immediately taken a reading after the doctor or nurse has done so. The numbers are very close with a difference of only two or three points. Their web site is here:
Blood Pressure Monitors
The model I have doesn't seem to be made anymore, but model HEM-780 is probably the closest, although it has more features. The "ComFit" cuff allows you to easily put it on yourself and fits up to a 17" arm. Note, that's 17 inches measured with your arm straight out, not flexed. For larger arms, you may have to go with their professional model, which comes with multiple cuffs, but expect to pay a premium. Unfortunately, the web site doesn't say the size range for the x-large cuff.
Blood Pressure Monitors

I bought mine mail order - don't recall the web site. Just google for Omron blood pressure monitor and you'll find plenty of places that sell them. Also, Costco used to sell an Omron model at a reasonable price, that was slightly different from the models shown on the web site (must have been tailored just for Costco).

The company also provides excellent customer service. If you send a unit to them, they will calibrate it and replace any worn parts. Return costs must be included, which is $5, I believe. The service center is located in the Chicago area, so I was able to bring my unit in and avoid the $5 charge. They calibrated the unit while I waited and replaced the cuff because the velcro was going bad, all at no cost.

Of course, the gold standard is a mercury Baumanometer. They are pricey and you have to know what you are doing to take a measurement. Also, the cuff requires two hands (i.e. another person) to position properly. These can be bought mail order as well. Find a place by googling baumanometer. You'll also need a stethoscope.
Blood Pressure Monitoring Equipment by W.A. Baum maker of the Baumanometer - Standby® Model - Kompak - Hi/Lo® Model - Desk Model
The following cuff sizes are available:
Range of Limb Circumference Cuff Size
(25cm to 35cm) Adult
(18cm to 26cm) Child/Small Adult
(10cm to 19cm) Infant
(6cm to 11cm) Newborn
(46cm to 66cm) Thigh
(33cm to 47cm) Large Arm

Last edited:
DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
I have dealt with high bp for almost 20 years. Each time I check my BP with a different machine I most always get a different reading. My upper arms are larger than average, so maybe the cuffs are too small. Anyone had any luck finding an accurate BP monitor that works for guys with bigger arms?

I’ll second the Omron, Model Hem-790IT which uses an upper arm cuff. Mine seems to match closest with my doctor’s. My wife’s wrist cuff, and some other types (don’t know which ones) never worked for me. Most of the time I couldn’t get any reading but when they did I would get measurements in the 200’s.

It keeps track of your readings, too.

Manchester

Manchester

Awards
I have a ReliOn that I bought an extra large cuff for (I believe I purchased both from WalMart several years ago). It is the only accurate bp monitor have been able to find. The readings are comparable to those that my doctor obtains manually with the use of a large cuff.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
I have a microlife model 3ac1-pccos. Has worked well for me and comes with some software that allows you to track on your computer.

GotTest

GotTest

Awards
  • Established
Excellent info guys!
I've been running into the same issue with arm size.
It is kind of a ego booster to no fit into the pharmacy BP machines.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm informed the most accurate are the mercury type used mostly in doctor's office, not digital !

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Try a kit that has a stethoscope attached to the arm-cuff.

It's nearly identical to what the doc uses. Works pretty darn good too.