Cardio Question - AnabolicMinds.com

Cardio Question

1. New Member

Cardio Question

Hi, folks. Long-time lurker here. I'm getting back in shape, and have a question about cardio. I'm trying to do 20 minutes of HIIT on my elliptical daily. Is HIIT something that I should or should not be doing daily? Just looking for some advice.

P.S. I try to squeeze in weights as much as possible (which averages to 2 or 3 days per week).

Thanks for taking time to read this.

(I'm a 39 year old male. 6 ft. 1, 210 lbs. if it matters)
    Last edited by ts8586; 03-11-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Additonal text

2. New Member

I hear HIIT should be done 2-3 sessions per week. Never hurts to throw in a regular/long cardio in there once a week for an hour or so either.

What is your HIIT like on the elliptical?
  3. New Member

My cardio normally consists of 20 mins on the stair stepper then directly to 20 mins on the bike. Then I go do 1-3 bodyparts on the weights (DBs, machines, Hammer strength and BBs.) I finish off with abs. If I wait to the end to do my cardio, then I probably won't do it at all....
    •   

4. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by CorpKiller View Post
    I hear HIIT should be done 2-3 sessions per week. Never hurts to throw in a regular/long cardio in there once a week for an hour or so either.

What is your HIIT like on the elliptical?
    Sorry I didn't see your reply sooner, CorpKiller. I do HIIT about 3-4 times per week, 20 minutes each session. I follow Craig Ballantyne's plan(s). I do HIIT on the days that I don't lift. And now, I'm not lifting at all since I screwed my back up last week!
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The amount of cardio and the length of the sessions is really dependant on body type. Endos need to do a bit more some ectos don't need any at all. I do 3 30 minute interval sessions which would be high intensity. I also do a couple to 3 45 minute fasted cardio sessions per week. Yes I am an endo.
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
  6. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    The amount of cardio and the length of the sessions is really dependant on body type. Endos need to do a bit more some ectos don't need any at all. I do 3 30 minute interval sessions which would be high intensity. I also do a couple to 3 45 minute fasted cardio sessions per week. Yes I am an endo.
    Well all I have to do is figure out what I am! Thanks for the info!
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Endo is easy gainer for both fat and muscle

Ecto hard gainer all the way around

Meso fairly easy gainer for muscle tends to stay lean though

Most are a combination of the two, I would classify myself as more of an endo meso
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
  8. New Member

I am an ENDO. I did HIIT this week 4 days in arow to jump start myself on this routine, and I have to admit, I am exhausted! I did 15 mins HIIT on the Elliptical. 60 sec work interval on a high setting then dropped to a low setting for recovery for 60 secs then repeated till I got to 15 mins total. Afterwards, since I enjoy cardio, I did 20 mins on either the bike or the stepper at a moderate pace getting the HR up to about 110-120 (I am 38 yrs old.) After that, I did one or two bodyparts then if I had any smoke left I did some abs. I can already tell my waist is trimming down. Also, since I do my work sets on the elliptical at a high setting my whole upper body feels pumped all the time.
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Eliptical is my weapon of choice as well. I will do 4 minute intervals for 30 minutes (start off with 2 minutes moderate)

1 do

2 minutes level 6
    2 minutes level 10
    2 minutes level 12
    4 minutes level 6
    2 minutes level 10
    2 minutes level 12
    4 minutes level 6
    2 minutes level 12
    2 minutes level 14
    4 minutes level 6
    4 minutes level 14
    cool down

My 45 minute sessoins are done a level 6 or 7 depending how my legs feel.
  10. LT*
    Stats
    5'8"  172 lbs.

Another way to use the elliptical for HIIT is to keep the resistance constant and vary the speed. I usually do either 20 or 30 second sprints followed by 40 or 30 second "rest" periods.

Warm up- 4 minutes
    20 sec-118+ RPM
    40 sec-45-50 RPM
    Repeat for 8-10 sprints
    Cool down-2 minutes

I follow this up with about 30 minutes of heavy bag work and abs.

I do not do this on an empty stomach ever. Performance would suck.
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Yes and empty stomach is not a great time for high intensity cardio.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cardio question?
    By Machwon1 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM
  2. cardio question?
    By liftallday123 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 11:14 PM
  3. Question about cardio
    By coldseed in forum Training Forum