muscle repair for us old geezers

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Notice that our muscles ache for just a little longer than they used to? Sux doesnt it?

Whats the best way to encourage muscle building and still do it safely? do stretches really help?

Any good muscle relief creams? No Ben Gay for this gal, that stuff stinks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stretches help, but it takes a little time for alleviation. It will initially make the soreness worse because you are increasing the microtrauma to the muscle. However, you are also increasing bloodflow to the area, which will lead to healing. BCAAs also help to decrease recovery.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I'm 36 and started taking BCAAs (Xtend + bulk BCAA) a few weeks ago. I have noticed a great difference in recovery.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
incarnate-beta alanine/cissus in one supp.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I know I am not 35 yet but ... I use Cissus, BCAA's & stretching.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I sleep suspended in a giant tub of HGH and feast on the blood of babies.

Still get pretty sore though :twisted: Gettin old sucks.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
"I ate a baby!"

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
Notice that our muscles ache for just a little longer than they used to? Sux doesnt it?

Whats the best way to encourage muscle building and still do it safely? do stretches really help?

You're too young to be complaining about muscle aches. Try to reduce the frequency and volume of your training. You might be over training. Stretching is good, but only when your body is warm. I particularly like to stretch my legs after cardio. When lifting I stretch between most sets. I'll be 50 in March and feel fantastic. Of course there are times when I do something stupid in the gym and have to pay. That can happen when you're over confident.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
You're too young to be complaining about muscle aches. Try to reduce the frequency and volume of your training. You might be over training. Stretching is good, but only when your body is warm. I particularly like to stretch my legs after cardio. When lifting I stretch between most sets. I'll be 50 in March and feel fantastic. Of course there are times when I do something stupid in the gym and have to pay. That can happen when you're over confident.
I'm definitely not too young or overtraining. If anything I'm probably undertraining compared to my abilities and potential. But I am just trying to ramp up. All I know is even after basic lifting routines I ache for a lot longer than I did when I was half the age I am now. I'm not young anymore! I upped my weight on the leg press by 10 lbs and felt it for 2 days afterwards. Yowza.

I am struggling with weight loss and can't seem to lose any weight whatever I do, so I am probably not doing enough in the training dept.

Now it would be rather young to be getting chronic stiff joints or muscle problems while having an inactive lifestyle. I know what you mean.

Last edited:
bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
First and best all around recovery sup..Poseidon. A lot of muscle aches and stiffness are the result of magnesium deficiency and poseidon kicks arse for supplying it, zinc, and potassium.

Next up, I like GH stimulating supps such as Powerfull, IGF2 and PGH-t if you can still find any. These really roll back the clock a few years IMO.

Soreness for 2 days afterward is normal and nuttin'. After going heavy, I can be very sore for up to 5-6 days afterwards...and that's not too normal IMO. lol

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
I'm definitely not too young or overtraining. If anything I'm probably undertraining compared to my abilities and potential. But I am just trying to ramp up. All I know is even after basic lifting routines I ache for a lot longer than I did when I was half the age I am now. I'm not young anymore! I upped my weight on the leg press by 10 lbs and felt it for 2 days afterwards. Yowza.

I am struggling with weight loss and can't seem to lose any weight whatever I do, so I am probably not doing enough in the training dept.

Now it would be rather young to be getting chronic stiff joints or muscle problems while having an inactive lifestyle. I know what you mean.
Have you posted your routine and diet? If not, would mind letting us have a look?

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Soreness for 2 days afterward is normal and nuttin'. After going heavy, I can be very sore for up to 5-6 days afterwards...and that's not too normal IMO. lol
I've had times where I felt it for a week afterwards, but not at the moment. I get this effect more when I've upped my weight on the "fly" machine.

But my point is, is not "nuttin'" when I could do it without feeling a pinch 18 years ago.

Synicus

Awards
Try some EMU OIL, I use Emu Gold around $10.00 from Vitamin Cottage for 4 oz. Works for muscle relief, smells good, apricot :thumbsup:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, i'll second emu oil. aspercreme also smells better than ben gay.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
keep it in perspective. 35 is around the time i started to feel more aches and feel like i lost a step. your body will thank you later for keeping it in shape. a good diet and exercise is the best thing you can do for yourself. plan on living a long healthy life and you probably will.:thumbsup:

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
You think its bad now just wait till 40s--It seems to me you have 2 choices [dont know if your natural?]if you are then you could get away with some of these "supps " for a while---you see the natural way of things after 40 your muscle mass declines ,fat increases Test levels drop till your just a mere shell of what you used to be--The answer --well thats not looked on to kindly around here ,but the end result of that path is HRT --fight mothernature--what have you got to loose??

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
You think its bad now just wait till 40s--It seems to me you have 2 choices [dont know if your natural?]if you are then you could get away with some of these "supps " for a while---you see the natural way of things after 40 your muscle mass declines ,fat increases Test levels drop till your just a mere shell of what you used to be--The answer --well thats not looked on to kindly around here ,but the end result of that path is HRT --fight mothernature--what have you got to loose??
The OP is female. I don't thing she wants testosterone & HCG. :D

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
vera.jpg

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
unfortunatly [he she?] used to much:lol:
haha. We laugh, but I honestly wonder if a little extra testosterone wouldn't help? You have me curious now, dammit.:p There's gotta be a way that this can help women.

I learned something in the last week of being on here. I didnt know that men also did HRT. Obviously tailored to them, but I always thought HRT was a women's thing.

and HCG is, last time I checked, Human Chorionic Gondatropin, which is pregnancy hormone. I dont think I wanna be messin with that. lol.

Good cream and oil suggestions. Apricot? nice.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
stretching more (both before + after) and doing more warmups, cooldowns theoretically helps, but i'm too stupid to try it.