Over Training for 35 and Older

vetteman36

Awards
Hello Everyone:

After reading various boards, I keep seeing people advocate taking 5 days to 1 week off after about 6 months of training. What opinion do you guys have on this???

I am 36 years old and have noticed that my recovery time is not what it used to be. I could go 1yr without taking any time off before. Now I just started working out 3 - 4 months ago and feel like I need about two weeks off!!!!

Old age sucks:aargh: :yawn:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like changing routines every 4-8 weeks, and taking a week off after 12 continuous weeks working out.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Hello Everyone:

After reading various boards, I keep seeing people advocate taking 5 days to 1 week off after about 6 months of training. What opinion do you guys have on this???

I am 36 years old and have noticed that my recovery time is not what it used to be. I could go 1yr without taking any time off before. Now I just started working out 3 - 4 months ago and feel like I need about two weeks off!!!!

I find that I need about a week off every 3 months. Unfortunately it then takes about 2 weeks to get back to my former condition. Longer breaks take a comparable 2 to 1 recovery period. What I do to improve my recovery ability is take a cocktail of CEE/L-Arginine/Beta-Alanine. I find I come back as quickly as I want and have to force myself to wait beteween sets.

satyricon

Awards
no rest for the wicked

hey guys just thought i'd chime in here. im turning 39 in jan. i try not to take a week off unless i really feel the need. i used to do that but like dutchman said, you have to ease back into things. i find it much better to just listen to your body. i normally workout 3 X week sometimes ill throw in an arm day so i can flex for the wife and kid. if i feel too tired from work or whatever ill skip that day and go for broke the next day. stick to basic moves and eat properly. if you feel overtrained or want to workout but not your usual routine pick a new exercise and practice it. i like to do grip feats of strength when im out of it or tired.

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
Only time I used to take off training was when I got sick.Then I had no choice but to take a break.
But as you get older and wiser as Saty said you need to listen to
what your body is telling you.If your feeling tired take a break.
Sometimes you can get away with just changing your routine.
But if your training really hard out , busting your a*se all the time then your body will welcome a week off.

Paz

Paz

Awards
Paz

Hello Everyone:

I am 37 years old and have had similar concerns, i find training 3 times a week Mon Wed Fri, seems to suit me and take a week off every 12 weeks, I use stretching of the muscles during the week off and plenty of sleep and this seems to do the trick. I seem to be bigger and stronger when i return to training!!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a pretty strong opinion on this one. I say if you don't need a rest after 12 weeks then you aren't training hard enough. Remember our sport is about intensity. I find it depends on what type of routines you do. Sometimes I need a week off after 8 weeks.

A couple tricks I use now that help me with age is, a) I rarely go to failure, this way I prevent injuries and I don't notice any difference in results. (they may even be better) b) I don't have hardly any routines that last an hour, but my time in the gym can be unbelievably grueling as I really do go to war. I find that reducing sets and increasing intensity I really get a good bang for my buck. c) I only do a body part once a week, less is more sometimes.

Rest is just as important as work for gains, well placed time off can only improve your performance over the long haul.

big poppa

big poppa

Awards
I agree with DreamWeaver 100%. I hit one muscle group per day and rest it for a week. It gives you great focus on that muscle and then good recoop time. I stay sore for a few days but by the following week its ready to go again.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Old age sucks?

Man don't be saying things like that when you are only 36 ;<). Can't avoid getting old (that is accumulating years) unless you die.

I'm 54...I take a week off every six to eight weeks. Ihave been doing that for years and would have been better off as a younger man if I had done so in those days as well.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Old age sucks?

Man don't be saying things like that when you are only 36 ;<). Can't avoid getting old (that is accumulating years) unless you die.

I'm 54...I take a week off every six to eight weeks. Ihave been doing that for years and would have been better off as a younger man if I had done so in those days as well.
Amen I am 50 and you won't see me use age as an excuse, when the goin gets tough ........

I can train harder than I ever could, I just have to be smarter than I ever was.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Amen I am 50 and you won't see me use age as an excuse, when the goin gets tough ........

I can train harder than I ever could, I just have to be smarter than I ever was.
you have any more pics besides the avatar one? cause thats a great shot

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah I have some contest pics from a few years ago. I was puny there. Lean yes but puny. I was 100 percent natural though, nothing but protein a couple unsuccessful runs at creatine.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I put some pics up on my AMSPACE if your interested. Some may recognize me from other boards under a different nicname.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I think the important thing here is to just listen to your body. If you have been stressing your body out it is just telling you it needs more time to recover. We are all differant in that aspect. I will be 35 this year and I can still train like a champ. However some of my close freinds who are just as old cannot.

What kind of training are you doing as far as days on and days off. What are you doing for reps and sets. Are you trying to get lean or get big. There are allot of factors involved. Are you taking anything to help with recovery or for supplemants

mastertech

mastertech

Awards
I'l be 40 in a few months. The biggest thing I've noticed is that I need a good 7-8 hours of sleep a night to "stay fresh" along with good nutrition.
I didn't really notice a change until about 2 years ago. Up until then, I could train like I did in my 20's.
Heck, I'm in the process of getting in super military shape again to go to OCS this summer with the guys in their 20's. When I went for my weigh in last month, I was told I was "pretty brave". :D

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
I'm 41 and I have settled into a routine that optimizes my recovery...and keeps me fresh.

Mon. ON
Tues. ON
Wed. ON

Thurs. OFF
Fri. OFF
Sat. OFF
Sun. OFF

Repeat

Thudd

Awards
I've just hit 38, and I've found that HST training has given me great results, enjoyable training, and minimal recovery.

bwalkerc2

bwalkerc2

Awards
I guess I'm part of the upper echelon being 48. Like you all I work out 5 days a week (3 weights, 2 cardio). I have found that at this age if I take off a week about every eight to ten weeks, I seem to come back either where I left off or stronger. When I was younger, it would make me fall back but not now.:wtf: Anyway I enjoy this forum and guess I'll be hanging out here more. Was hanging over at EF site, but they don't seem to cater to as elders.:think:

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I've just hit 38, and I've found that HST training has given me great results, enjoyable training, and minimal recovery.
Im not 35, im only 34, but i am in the best shape of my life, physically and mentally. I switched to a fullbody routine in august, and it is the best thing IMO I have ever done. It is first of all FUN, pretty fast, exciting, keeps me interested , and challenging at the same time. Nothing but core for the most part. Here u go...

MON, WED, FRI : (PICK 1 EXERCISE, AND DO 3 SETS OF 6-8reps)

CHEST - incl. db press or weighted dips
BACK - pullups or BB row
TRI's - weighted dips or CG bench press
BI's - incl db curl or seated db curl
LEGS - front squat or back squat
SHOULDERS - arnold press or front/side lat raises

(i have shoulder injury that prevents me from pressing heaving at the moment)

For instance, I do 3 sets of incline db press @ 8 reps. Im done till wednesday. Then I do the same wed, and fri. The next week, i would probably do weighted dips that week, and then alternate.

I love this routine right now

thanks
msucurt

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just remember one thing, everything works... just not for very long.

Periodization and Progression...Periodization and Progression

PappaD

PappaD

Awards
I just turned 40 in MArch. I have been out of the gym for 6 years due to an injury and after 2 months back I have really bounced back fast. I train Mon, Tue - Thur, Fri. I will do some cardio and abs on Wed sometimes. I haven't felt like wanting a break yet so we'll see how it goes. I LOVE the gym!!!!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
sez the 36yo...
:trout:

That said, if you're noticing your recovery times getting longer, you should get a jump on things & eliminate training-to-failure NOW - not after a serious setback bounces you for months.

Focus, recruitment, time-under-tension, your guides should be....

Last edited:
DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah he makes it sound like he's older than me. It's all on what you do with it. No excuses here.

jpk

jpk

Awards
I have a pretty strong opinion on this one. I say if you don't need a rest after 12 weeks then you aren't training hard enough. Remember our sport is about intensity. I find it depends on what type of routines you do. Sometimes I need a week off after 8 weeks.

A couple tricks I use now that help me with age is, a) I rarely go to failure, this way I prevent injuries and I don't notice any difference in results. (they may even be better) b) I don't have hardly any routines that last an hour, but my time in the gym can be unbelievably grueling as I really do go to war. I find that reducing sets and increasing intensity I really get a good bang for my buck. c) I only do a body part once a week, less is more sometimes.

Rest is just as important as work for gains, well placed time off can only improve your performance over the long haul.
Great post DW (as usual). Maybe you've posted it somewhere before but how do you usually split up your workouts?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am very old school about this but I do vary my splits as well but my favourite split is Chest and back day 1 Shoulders and arms day 2 and Legs on day 3.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I'm 36 and will be 37 in a couple of months. I didn't lift when I was young so I don't have a reference to compare against. However I do like to take a break from time to time, sometimes not a full week.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Another post that its not about age

Hello Everyone:

IMO and experience, recovery is more dependent on intensity rather than age. I assume that at 30-50 years of age or more you’ve progressed closer to your genetic potential than you did at 20. Also, you may have more distractions at 40 with a full time job with kids to raise than you did at 20.

For example: at 46 I hurt myself enough to pretty much have to start over. In the beginning I could spend 2 hours in PT for my legs and then train my upper body for another 2 hours three times a week, IOW I could train pretty much like a 20 yr old. I was on disability so I didn't have to worry about working for 8-10 hrs. As I regained my upper body, and eventually my lower body, I needed to become more selective in my work outs and I don’t consider myself particularly genetically gifted. I do fewer sets than I used to, but much of what I used to do would now be considered overtraining anyway.

I usually weight train 4 days a week, plus 2 days of cardio.

DB

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm 36 and will be 37 in a couple of months. I didn't lift when I was young so I don't have a reference to compare against. However I do like to take a break from time to time, sometimes not a full week.
i'm in that same boat, joined the religion at 39 :)

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Hello Everyone:

I dont take more than 1 week off anymore........Seems like i loose too much........SAD!

I only do a 3 day split though...M, TU, THUR

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
Im not 35, im only 34, but i am in the best shape of my life, physically and mentally. I switched to a fullbody routine in august, and it is the best thing IMO I have ever done. It is first of all FUN, pretty fast, exciting, keeps me interested , and challenging at the same time. Nothing but core for the most part. Here u go...

MON, WED, FRI : (PICK 1 EXERCISE, AND DO 3 SETS OF 6-8reps)

CHEST - incl. db press or weighted dips
BACK - pullups or BB row
TRI's - weighted dips or CG bench press
BI's - incl db curl or seated db curl
LEGS - front squat or back squat
SHOULDERS - arnold press or front/side lat raises

For instance, I do 3 sets of incline db press @ 8 reps. Im done till wednesday. Then I do the same wed, and fri. The next week, i would probably do weighted dips that week, and then alternate.
I am 36 and made the same change this year to full body 3x a week. I started with 8 weeks of 5x5 and now I am starting 8 weeks of a modified GVT (10x10 & 6X10) to keep things from getting stagnant and try to achieve both strength and growth phases.
Rather than taking a full week of I do an active recovery week at reduced weights and reps. Just something to keep me active and keep the blood flowing. While I dont make any gains that week I also havent lost pace with where I was at and it gives me a chance to refresh mentally.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I am 36 and made the same change this year to full body 3x a week. I started with 8 weeks of 5x5 and now I am starting 8 weeks of a modified GVT (10x10 & 6X10) to keep things from getting stagnant and try to achieve both strength and growth phases.
Rather than taking a full week of I do an active recovery week at reduced weights and reps. Just something to keep me active and keep the blood flowing. While I dont make any gains that week I also havent lost pace with where I was at and it gives me a chance to refresh mentally.
Yea, ive been doing my fullbody for quite some time now. I am thinking about switching to something else to keep me fresh. I have looked at various fullbody / upper,lower splits, etc , but i just havent decided on anything yet. Still searching

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i'm pondering squeezing my entire workout into 2 days a week, taking the other 5 off :)

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
i'm pondering squeezing my entire workout into 2 days a week, taking the other 5 off :)
i tried that, and just didnt work well at all for a few reasons...

1) i felt like i had too much volume per workout
2) i felt like i was cheating myself in a sense only working out 2x a week. Minimum is 3days a week in my book.

Just my opinion though

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, i'm still looking at it spreading as 4 workouts over those 2 days. I work from home frequently, and have a serious home gym setup. so doing a morning evening split 2 days may work. may not :D

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
Yea, ive been doing my fullbody for quite some time now. I am thinking about switching to something else to keep me fresh. I have looked at various fullbody / upper,lower splits, etc , but i just havent decided on anything yet. Still searching
Here is the modified GVT I am starting, weight is 60%1RM:
Monday-
Bench - 10x10
Squat - 10x10
Row - 10x10
(bench, squat, row tri-sets with 90 sec rest between sets)
Chin-ups - 10x10 or failure

Wednesday -
Deadlifts - 10x10
OH Press - 10x10
(deadlifts and press supersets with 90 sec rest between sets)
Pull-ups - 10x10 or failure

Friday -
Bench - 6x10
Squat - 6x10
Row - 6x10
(bench, squat, row tri-sets with 90 sec rest between sets)
Dips - 10x10 or failure

Each workout I try to increase the weight by 5 pounds but only after getting all reps. I make three attempts to get the reps and if I am not succesful I decrease the weight by 10% and work back up.
This is a routine developed at the Eclipse Gym. I have just started on this phase so I dont have any valid comments on it at this point. I am going to run it and see how it goes. Plan is to run it for 6 weeks, take an active recovery week and then start another 5x5 phase, rinse and repeat.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can once in a while do 2 days a week but you need to do compound exercises. I have a couple routines that can be converted this way.

Just remember everything works just not for very long. You should be doing a wide variety of different routines for varying purposes. I switch every 4 weeks not only the exercises but the basic phylosophy of each routine. That way I don't lift too much heavy, I get my higher rep work in, I can mix and match between power, intensity and volume. I judge what is most appropriate for the time. I am not always right sometimes I lift too much power. Periodization is very important and the other is progression, plan on how your going to increase your lifts during the cylce. I am lucky my partner had 30 years of really good experience (he is world class came 2nd) and I have just added my 20 years onto that making adjustments based on what I experience. Know thyself.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
You can once in a while do 2 days a week but you need to do compound exercises. I have a couple routines that can be converted this way.

Just remember everything works just not for very long. You should be doing a wide variety of different routines for varying purposes. I switch every 4 weeks not only the exercises but the basic phylosophy of each routine.
I have read that variations of your routine to keep results coming can be done by changing the order the exercises are performed in the routine and by changing the reps. It suggested the changing the exercises was not always neccessary. I have a lot of interest in this since I focus on maily compound lifts. When you arent doing isolation the variety is a little more limited. With your experience would you agree or disagree with this?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would disagree. I think the more you can change the better and the more you have to work from. I guess there is some degree of truth to that way of thinking but you'd do much better having a much better arsenal to draw from.

Compound lifting is the superior way to add mass and strength nobody is disputing that. I think you can use isolation lifts in a manner where you can almost equal the intensity of compound lifts though. Super sets and drop sets used in conjunction can be very effective. Isolated movements are also a lot easier on the joints and will allow you to rest up the joints in between heavy cycles.

And what about combining different types of lifts, I know this can be very effective as well. The more you can change the better is the bottom line. Your nervous system will adjust to certain movements becoming more effecient but this takes away a lot of the load on the muscles.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
I would disagree. I think the more you can change the better and the more you have to work from. I guess there is some degree of truth to that way of thinking but you'd do much better having a much better arsenal to draw from.

Compound lifting is the superior way to add mass and strength nobody is disputing that. I think you can use isolation lifts in a manner where you can almost equal the intensity of compound lifts though. Super sets and drop sets used in conjunction can be very effective. Isolated movements are also a lot easier on the joints and will allow you to rest up the joints in between heavy cycles.

And what about combining different types of lifts, I know this can be very effective as well. The more you can change the better is the bottom line. Your nervous system will adjust to certain movements becoming more effecient but this takes away a lot of the load on the muscles.
Thanks for the input!

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
what is the idea behind stacking all wo in two days? is that for more progress or for limited time or better time for recovery?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
kind of a combination, plus time availability, as well as possibly the pulsing of anabolics with the workouts

I can easily manage to put in 4 workouts over saturday and sunday if I want to, and that leaves me the week free

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would still space the workouts out, a lot of heavy lifting you need to rest in between workouts.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, its just an idea really, working out every other day with hitting all groups between 2 workouts seems ok, sort of like the body for life workout scheme

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
oh...may have to try that when i hit 36 or so.

I once worked out every other day for 6 str8 weeks...of course, i was 23....some body parts grew outrageously while others actually got smaller? lol

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another idea I am toying with is 4 weeks intensive training followed by one week off. The week off will be slightly more cardio intensive though. I am actually ready to incorporate this now actually. I expect good things.

DoninSoCal

DoninSoCal

Awards
I am 49, and have been back into the lifestyle for about a year. I worked out off and on for years, but I've been dedicated and serious for the last year. My goals are to run a sub 2 hour half marathon AND bench 315.... I'm making gains towards both goals, bench 1RM is 275 now... I can do 10 miles comfortably in about 1:30... America's Finest City Half is in August, I'm hoping to run that. So I'm well on my way. I definitely have a tendency to overtrain, I'll go hard seven a week if my body will let me. I've found that I really vary the intensity of lifting/cardio - when I run hard I cut way back on the cardio and visa versa. The main thing I tend to run into is tendon soreness, in knees when running and elbows when lifting. I've started making a point of taking one or two days off completely a week, but I get paranoid about losing my hard won gains. Anyone else fight the tendonitis thing? Its definitely gotten worse as I've gotten older...

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am 49, and have been back into the lifestyle for about a year. I worked out off and on for years, but I've been dedicated and serious for the last year. My goals are to run a sub 2 hour half marathon AND bench 315.... I'm making gains towards both goals, bench 1RM is 275 now... I can do 10 miles comfortably in about 1:30... America's Finest City Half is in August, I'm hoping to run that. So I'm well on my way. I definitely have a tendency to overtrain, I'll go hard seven a week if my body will let me. I've found that I really vary the intensity of lifting/cardio - when I run hard I cut way back on the cardio and visa versa. The main thing I tend to run into is tendon soreness, in knees when running and elbows when lifting. I've started making a point of taking one or two days off completely a week, but I get paranoid about losing my hard won gains. Anyone else fight the tendonitis thing? Its definitely gotten worse as I've gotten older...
Planned time off will actually add more than it takes away try not to be too impulsive. When you lift intensify! when you rest, relax knowing you earned that rest, this is how muscle is built break it down let it heal. Throw in some non-coupound routines once in a while to take the strain off the tendons. Oh and another way is routine with very slow reps and less weight. You will find all the strain is on the muscle.

I was able to run a half in 1 hour 55 minutes when I was 44 and 240 lbs I could have done better but I was paraniod of the distance turned out it didn't feel any different than my 15 K run and I could have run a faster pace. I did it though.

DoninSoCal

DoninSoCal

Awards
Were you lifting when training for the half? what kind of running schedule did you do... There are lots of running programs out there, but very few are designed for someone who is older that is also putting on strength and bulk. I have to work a LOT harder running at 205 lbs than at 185... but that's where I need to be to keep my lift weights up... Also any experience with Cissus or any supplements for tendon health? Fortunately all my joints are sound internally (despite years of skiing and other abuse) but the creaky tendons are literally a pain!:(

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was training in the gym 3 times a week and doing 3 10 k's a week, then about a week before I did a 15k. I did not train the rest of the week. I don't know if this was right but it seemed to work fine.

Super cissus if miraculous, sorry I was going to mention that in my last post.