Just Had a Septoplasty

ClintCanada

For years I had trouble breathing through my right nostril, had it checked out and the doctor recommended surgery to 'open up' the nostril. Basically my septum looked straight on the outside but on the inside it was bent slightly and I had restricted air flow. I had the surgery at about 10:30am yesterday and am supposed to get the packing removed tomorrow.
By the way -- I'm just sharing this surgical experience -- no one else to talk to at the moment . . .
So yesterday when I'm discharged my wife is driving and as we're leaving the parking lot I feel like I've got something in my sinus that I need to suck out -- gross storey but like when you're sick and you've got an 'oyster' than you need to suck out and get rid of. So I suck a little bit and this clot comes loose into my mouth. I've got the vomit bag from the hospital ready in front of me and I start spitting it in but I realize this thing feels like its got some texture -- it's like chunky. I started pulling it gently with my fingers and I realize its gauze -- the packing from my nose was coming into my mouth from that opening in the back of the throat. So we turn the car around and go back to the hospital. I had already gotten about 12" into my mouth by this time . . .
When the original gauze packing was put in, I was under general anasthetic, so didn't feel a thing, but after about an hour, the doctor's assistant, a medical student comes over to remove the original stuff and re-pack it . . .
It wasn't a good experience to say the least -- getting the packing put in the second time around was maybe the most painful thing I've ever had done -- these thing were like pieces of cardboard instead of gauze and about 4 1/2 to 5 inches long -- **** it was like some alien optopsy scene off the X-Files having them pushed up there . . .
anyways -- that tells me 1 thing -- my nostril is now obviously allot bigger than it used to be in order to take that packing, so when the healing is done hopefully I'll be breathing allot better . . .

FrankJ

Awards
  • Established
So did they do the surgery that involves cutting away sinus tissue or the one where they stick that balloon up there and inflate it?

Ive had sinus problems since having my nose broken - deviated septum and stuff. Makes sleeping at night a tricky proposition sometimes. My right sinus is about 50% blocked all the time, up to 100% at night.

Ive considered getting surgery, but dont know how tough it is to recover from.

ClintCanada

So did they do the surgery that involves cutting away sinus tissue or the one where they stick that balloon up there and inflate it?

Ive had sinus problems since having my nose broken - deviated septum and stuff. Makes sleeping at night a tricky proposition sometimes. My right sinus is about 50% blocked all the time, up to 100% at night.

Ive considered getting surgery, but dont know how tough it is to recover from.

I just got back from the hospital and they removed the packing -- 48hrs after the operation -- amazing . . .
they cut out the cartilage, re-shaped it and put it back in -- straight this time. The biggest reason I wanted this procedure was to improve my night time breathing -- I end up snoring which means I could be getting a better rest and especially my wife (who wears ear plugs).
I'd say my sinus was about 50% blocked during the day as well -- this affected sports a fair bit -- and I'd be constantly blowing it to make sure that it was at least clean.
Well -- right now, having just had the packing removed -- I've never breathed so well through my nose before -- I can get deep, 100% breaths in through the nose -- people reading this that can breath well naturally don't realize how good they have it . . .
I'm just thankful I finally had it done. If I'd have known it was this simple, effective and quick to heal, I'd have went in a long time ago . . .

FrankJ

Awards
  • Established
Sh1t that sounds awesome. Im going to get this done ASAP!

How long before you can work out again?

ClintCanada

Sh1t that sounds awesome. Im going to get this done ASAP!

How long before you can work out again?
Well -- I had the surgery Tuesday . . . I feel like I could do some light weights right now, but decided to be safe to wait a couple more days . . . but I'm 100% sure I'll be ready to lift on Monday -- so even if you say 1 week to recover -- that's sucha short recovery time -- it's worth it.

If you have breathing problems and your doctor thinks you're a good candidate, I would say get it done.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Been wanting this for years. My right nostril is about 70-80% occluded and my entire nose is crooked from being broken when I was a little kid.

ClintCanada

I know allot of people that could benefit from this -- the real indicator for the doctor that my blockage was in the nose and not higher up in sinus was that breath-right strips helped allot. He said if those help (which they did) then this operation would accomplish the same thing.

My advice is to see a doctor -- if this procedure can benefit you its priceless . . .
speaking of price in Canada the operation was covered under health care and was free because it wasn't cosmetic, although the surgeon that did the procedure is a plastic surgeon . . . I would guess in the states, that insurance would cover this if it's deemed necessary . . .

FrankJ

Awards
  • Established
Doubt it will work for me then - those strips dont do squat.

But there are several types of sinus surgeries that are 80-90% success rates. Id just rather avoid having my face cut to ribbons sorting the mess out, lol.

I think I will look into the balloon thing more.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You may also have polyps in your inner sinues that are fairly easy to remove surgically.