Starting my old man on lifting--good lifting programs?

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
So, considering this is the geezer section of this forum : ) I kid kid, I thought maybe you gentlemen could help me out.

My dad wants to get into lifting with me, he's 47, 6'1, 250 lbs. He's got some lower back problems though which sucks because deadlifting is probably completely out of the question and he may have problems squatting too.

So, I was planning on a 3 day workout program consisting of mostly full body since he hasn't really touched weights in ages and ages.

Any program ideas or suggestions?

I don't have much experience with helping older lifters but I really want to help him get the muscular physique he's after. Plus, at 47 I'm hoping it'll help to extend his life a bit since I'll also be drastically changing his nutrional habits.

Help please!!!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
He should start slow most importantly. There's no better way to ruin a new routine that starting off on the wrong foot with an injury!

Plus, calorie intake is inversely proportional to life span, so an improved diet is good as long as overall cals are kept reasonable. In other words, no bulking for old guys trying to live longer, gotta eat lean. :)

Last edited:
ImJ2x

ImJ2x

Awards
  • Established
I'm 46 -- been lifting (off and on) for 30 yrs. Whenever I've had to stop (due to injury, or just "life stuff"), I always re-start by lifting very light weights at very high reps (girlie weights @ 30-50 reps, for real). Then gradually increase weight at your body's discretion. And there's nothing wrong with old school push-ups/pull-ups (if he can do them)/sit-ups, just to get some general fitness back.
And DrD's right -- I never feel good when over-eating. Just keep to the basics -- low fat, reasonably high protein, clean food. Protein shakes are fine (and fun -- it makes you feel like the young bulls, guzzling from your shaker).
As far as back injuries are concerned -- been there, done that. I never do deads or squats anymore. It's just not wise past 30 or 35 years old. My leg routine is simple -- leg press, leg extensions, hammy curls, and toe raises.
And if health is truly the concern -- cardio, cardio, cardio.
And one last thing. I'm not sure I'd even be working out at all anymore if it wasn't for USP's miracle supp Cissus. Get your pops on it immediately.
Good luck.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
So, considering this is the geezer section of this forum : ) I kid kid, I thought maybe you gentlemen could help me out.

My dad wants to get into lifting with me, he's 47, 6'1, 250 lbs. He's got some lower back problems though which sucks because deadlifting is probably completely out of the question and he may have problems squatting too.

So, I was planning on a 3 day workout program consisting of mostly full body since he hasn't really touched weights in ages and ages.

Any program ideas or suggestions?

I don't have much experience with helping older lifters but I really want to help him get the muscular physique he's after. Plus, at 47 I'm hoping it'll help to extend his life a bit since I'll also be drastically changing his nutrional habits.

Help please!!!

Tell your dad to visit this old geezer's web site and then contact me. I'll give you and him some advice on a training plan. www.BodyBuildingSenior.com