36 and some push up questions

Billabong

Awards
Hello everyone, my first post here and with all kinds of questions. I would like to state my interest for joining this forum.
My wife and I have decided to go to the Poconos next year for our anniversary. So I would like to get some definition to my body before we go. We are going around May and I am very excited.

Ok, so about me. I'm 36 years old with a pretty high metabolism. I weigh 150lbs. and have weighed this for as long as I can remember. No matter what I try,I cannot gain weight. I'm not looking for some miracle(well maybe I am). I just want to know what are the best exercises I can do around the house to get cut. Such as push ups, Should I do them every day or every other day and how should I do them, Situps to, how should I do them to get the best effect from them. I really appreciate you tolerating my ignorance with this and thanks for any help possible.

Brandon

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Hello everyone, my first post here and with all kinds of questions. I would like to state my interest for joining this forum.
My wife and I have decided to go to the Poconos next year for our anniversary. So I would like to get some definition to my body before we go. We are going around May and I am very excited.

Ok, so about me. I'm 36 years old with a pretty high metabolism. I weigh 150lbs. and have weighed this for as long as I can remember. No matter what I try,I cannot gain weight. I'm not looking for some miracle(well maybe I am). I just want to know what are the best exercises I can do around the house to get cut. Such as push ups, Should I do them every day or every other day and how should I do them, Situps to, how should I do them to get the best effect from them. I really appreciate you tolerating my ignorance with this and thanks for any help possible.

Brandon
Brandon:

Welcome to the Board. Before I can offer any advice, I need to know a few things about you:

How tall are you?

Are you generally healthy?

Any ailments like diabetes or arthritis? Heart problems?

Tell me about your daily diet

-how many meals per day?
-what kinds of food?
-water consumption?

Are you on any supplements?

-vitamins
-protein
-amino acids
-fat burners

Could you go to a gym or do you prefer to workout at home?

Do you do cardio? Are you a runner?

There's a lot you can do with bodyweight exercises, but you can do a lot more, sooner, with weight training.

Billabong

Awards
Hi, Scott, thanks so much for replying. here is the info

I'm 5'9"
other than being a smoker, I'm healthy, if that makes any sense what so ever

no ailments

For breakfast I usually have a Special K cereal bar, then at lunch, it is usually a TV Dinner or something along those lines here at the office, then for Dinner my wife usually makes a starch, one vegetable and a meat of some sort

No supplements. The only thing i take regularly are baby aspirin to help prevent heart attacks

The thing about the gym is By the time i get to the nearest one after work, it is jammed pack,and I really can't justify paying that much money for a gym and then have to wait in line for something. I would go in the morning, but I have no strength in the morning, which is another thing I'm hoping you can help me with is energy. I just have none. So I guess for now this will be exercises around the house.

Basically i haven't done any exercising in almost 5 years

Thanks again

one more thing: I drink coffee like its going out of style

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Here are some thoughts for you to consider:

Hi, Scott, thanks so much for replying. here is the info

I'm 5'9"

At 5'9" and 150 pounds, you are a skinny guy.

other than being a smoker, I'm healthy, if that makes any sense what so ever

It doesn't, but whatever...

no ailments

Good.

For breakfast I usually have a Special K cereal bar, then at lunch, it is usually a TV Dinner or something along those lines here at the office, then for Dinner my wife usually makes a starch, one vegetable and a meat of some sort

This is the tough part. 80% of what you want to accomplish can be done with your diet. 20% can be accomplished by workouts.

You need to eat five or six balanced meals each day. Like you, I work in an office. I plan and prepare my meals the night before and put them into plastic containers for heating in a microwave.

For breakfast, you need a good hit of protein and carbs, because your body has not had any nourishment for around 12 hours and is in a protective starvation state. I drink a protein shake and have grapefruit, or oatmeal, or low fat waffles for breakfast, to start my day.

At 11 AM, eat your next meal, fish, or chicken, or lean beef, or turkey and a cup or two of vegetables.

At 1 PM, eat your next meal, same protein and add a portion of brown rice or sweet potato.

At 3 PM, drink a protein shake and eat some almonds.

At 6 PM, eat your next meal, same protein and vegetables. Skip the bread and butter, dessert, but you can add a salad with one tablespoon of oil and one tablespoon of vinegar.

If you are hungry, drink a night time protein shake at about 8:30 PM

You will wake up the next morning with good energy and a good appetite.

No supplements. The only thing i take regularly are baby aspirin to help prevent heart attacks

I would add a good protein powder to your diet.

The thing about the gym is By the time i get to the nearest one after work, it is jammed pack,and I really can't justify paying that much money for a gym and then have to wait in line for something. I would go in the morning, but I have no strength in the morning, which is another thing I'm hoping you can help me with is energy. I just have none. So I guess for now this will be exercises around the house.

I am a busy executive. I get up every morning at 5:00 AM, wake my wife up at 5:30, have my breakfast with her and leave for the gym at 6:00. I'm working out with other busy executives by 6:30 and end my five-days-a-week workout by 8:00 and am sitting at my desk, looking at 325 emails by 8:30. I've done this for years and it works. The gym is not crowded and there is no wait for equipment. It's not a social time, it's a time for serious weight training.

I usually go to bed by 10 PM.

Basically i haven't done any exercising in almost 5 years

I have some basic training plans I can share with you, if you are interested and willing to take on the work.

Bottom line, Brandon, you won't be ready for the Poconos by doing sit ups and push ups.

Thanks again

one more thing: I drink coffee like its going out of style

I drink a few cups of strong coffee myself every day.

Brandon, please visit my web site: www.BodyBuildingSenior.com or email me at [email protected] if you want to talk some more or have additional questions.

Billabong

Awards
Scott I really appreciate you taking the time to explain so much to me and yes I am pretty skinny and I'm also deffinetly intrested the training plans you are willing to share with me. That sounds great. If I can just get more energy in the morning, I want to start going to the gym.

Edit: Email sent

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Scott I really appreciate you taking the time to explain so much to me and yes I am pretty skinny and I'm also definitely interested the training plans you are willing to share with me. That sounds great. If I can just get more energy in the morning, I want to start going to the gym.

Edit: Email sent
I received your email. Once you begin getting up and hitting the gym...especially after you have eaten an early breakfast, you will have enough energy for your morning workout. One of the great benefits of doing this is, once you have gone to the gym...it's done for the day. You arrive at your office refreshed from the oxygen and blood flow and you feel ready to tackle the day. You might feel a little tired at around 3 PM...have a cup of coffee and a protein bar to pick you up. And, when you get to the office and watch the guys drinking their Starbucks and eating a bear claw, you will know you did something more special that morning than they did and you will be better for it.

Billabong

Awards
good point Scott, I sent you another email. I wasn't sure if you wanted me to post the question here or ask you directly, if so , just tell me, and Ill direct all my questions to here

Billabong

Awards
ok last question, as far as working out in the gym, do you or anyone have some kind of workout plan for skinny guys, ( funny i know) but you dont know unless you ask

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
ok last question, as far as working out in the gym, do you or anyone have some kind of workout plan for skinny guys, ( funny i know) but you dont know unless you ask
I just sent you a circuit training plan, which is a good way for you to begin working out in the gym. Have fun.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Got it, Thanks so much!
No problem. One supplement I would add is a good multi-vitamin, taken daily. There are plenty of good ones on the market, or Beverly International offers a 30-day Super Pak, which I take. But, I am an elite bodybuilder and need the "extras" in their supplement. You will be OK with an over-the-counter brand.

Ribo68

Ribo68

Awards
You're a good man Navy Brown! The only thin I see that seems to be missing from Brandon's coffee and cigarettes supplementing program is the donuts. However, the baby asprin should nullify the ill effects of those as well. :toofunny:

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
You're a good man Navy Brown! The only thin I see that seems to be missing from Brandon's coffee and cigarettes supplementing program is the donuts. However, the baby asprin should nullify the ill effects of those as well. :toofunny:
Ha, ha, ha. LMFAO....Very Funny, Ribo...LOL

Not to worry, Brandon is going to be OK.