Vasectomy advice?

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
Hey,

I am not quite 35, actually I just turned 30 but had a few questions and figured this would be the area that would be most informed.

My wife and I decided about 10 years ago that we do not want kids. Recently her birth control meds have been screwing her up hormonally. I am considering a vasectomy but it comes with some pretty heavy concerns.

1st, according to all the research I have conducted it looks like a vasectomy will not affect my hormone balance whatsoever. Is there anyone here that can dispute my findings?

2nd, does anyone know what the cost of freezing samples for the future costs ie.. 1k or 10k?

3rd, will a doctor even consider doing it being that I am only 30 and have no children?

Thanks for any help you may provide, :cheers:

Chicken

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I got one when I was about 31 or 32. Never noticed any change in hormone levels at all. They questionded me about it quite a bit, if I was really ready for it or not. It's all good now, no problems.

Don't know about the freezing. I've never wanted kids either.

Ribo68

Ribo68

Awards
I'll 2nd what Crunch said. Also, I'll add that it was a completely painless procedure. I had mine for the same reason as you are considering one. go for it.

BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My vasectomy was a breeze. Far better than the dentist even. If you're thinking about it, go ahead and do it.

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
yeah I will probably go for it if she decides she wants to get off the bc. I guess she has her own reasons for taking it too.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My wife and I agreed to my vasectomy after my last child was born. I have a 19, 17 and a 6yo. There are times that my youngest makes me wish we could have an other one.

Thank goodness I have a vasectomy.

bem9127

Awards
Hey,

I am not quite 35, actually I just turned 30 but had a few questions and figured this would be the area that would be most informed.

My wife and I decided about 10 years ago that we do not want kids. Recently her birth control meds have been screwing her up hormonally. I am considering a vasectomy but it comes with some pretty heavy concerns.

1st, according to all the research I have conducted it looks like a vasectomy will not affect my hormone balance whatsoever. Is there anyone here that can dispute my findings?

2nd, does anyone know what the cost of freezing samples for the future costs ie.. 1k or 10k?

3rd, will a doctor even consider doing it being that I am only 30 and have no children?

Thanks for any help you may provide, :cheers:

Chicken
Hello,
I had Vasectomy about 10 years ago. It took about 15 minutes total. To my knowledge I have not had any issues. I had two kids and that is all I needed or wanted for that matter.

LT*

LT*

Awards
  • Established
I had one done last November. We decided that we would stick to one child, and he's 5 now. The procedure was uncomfortable, but not painful. The recovery wasn't too bad either, a few days of icing , and wearing a jock strap for a while.

Funny story about mine though. As I was having the procedure done, my newly pregnant wife was in the waiting room. Of course we had NO idea that she was pregnant, and had been using condoms to prevent such an event. Long story short, our daughter is 2 months old today. Strange how stuff happens like that.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If you are still considering kids in the future I would have her get an IUD. I have the Copper Paragard one in. Its non-hormonal doesn't hurt and last 10 years.

Best of all you can get pregnant the day you have it removed. I've never had a problem with mine and its been in 7 years now.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
for myself, I'm done wih kids: my daughter will turn 20 in early '08 & is more than halfway thru university as we speak. After much lengthy and sober consideration, I must say the LAST thing I want to do is go back (at 56) and start a new one.

Given that my GF *definitely* wants kids, I'm *definitely* getting a V....

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
I havent got that far I will update when I find out.
I paid $550 for a vasectomy 9 years ago. It's minor surgery, and if performed correctly is 100% effective. I've noticed no physical change whatsoever since the surgery. It's something I seldom think about these days. We had 4 kids in the house at the time, and we were both in our 40s. The only alternative was to have my wife's tubes tied at a cost of $3000 and under general anesthesia.

During my consultation, the doctor asked me if I wanted more kids, and I said no. He said that I had to be sure - that if I had any doubts whatsoever I should forgo the surgery. You really need to think about this.

Chicken

Chicken

Awards
Hrmm, that IUD sounds interesting, I have seen commercials for it. I will talk this over with the boss and see what she thinks . I don't like the idea of kids still but I do feel like somethings missing, so maybe waiting a few more years wouldn't hurt.

Thanks again for all the help,

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
My insurance covered my vasectomy. They know that that will prevent future well-baby, well-mother, labor-and-delivery costs and costs of covering another human for the same premium.

The worst part was it took quite a few shots of lidocaine to numb me enough.

My urologist (not the doc that did the vasectomy) does believe it's possible that vasectomies can lead to down regulation of testosterone as well as sperm production (it doesn't stop the sertoli cells completely) because there is a feedback mechanism for sertoli cells to the brain. He also believes it can lead to autoimmune issues because if the sperm are not emptied "the normal way", but rather stay in the scrotum (open procedure) or in the testes (closed procedure), the immune system will find them in the wrong place and start treating the sperm like a foreign antigen.

That said, I had my vasectomy a year go, and I was already hypogonadal and on TRT. Since then, I do think hcg has been less effective, based on the testes being smaller than they were before the vasectomy.

Bottom line, ask the doc who would do this a lot of questions.

Even after a vasectomy, sperm can be taken out from your ligated tubes with a needle, then your wife artificially inseminated. But that costs plenty and generally is not covered by insurance.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
During my consultation, the doctor asked me if I wanted more kids, and I said no. He said that I had to be sure - that if I had any doubts whatsoever I should forgo the surgery. You really need to think about this.
That's interesting. I know of people who have gotten vasectomies and then had a reverse procedure so they are able to have kids again.

Never heard of freezing your juice. I assume it's expensive to store.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What I find ironic is that this thread was started on my birthday "06-04-2007".

Hmmmm....:think:

tattoopierced1

i have my appt. next Monday with a urologist about this.. one question though, how long did you have to lay off of lifting after the surgery?

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Had a vasectomy almost 30 years ago, at age 25, while in the military. Had 2 children, boy and girl, 13 months apart and was finished with that idea. Remarried to a younger woman 10 years later and we often considered the possibility of reversal...until my teenage daughter lived with us for a year and we both were glad that it would take a major decision to even entertain the possiblity.

There are times when I might say that I am sad that we could not see what our children would be like, but in the end, I know I am glad that we cannot make that decision. At my age I am selfish about the life I have and not having anything intrude on it. And I have grandkids now to provide that kid fix when I need or want it - I teach them bad habits and then leave my kids to deal with it.

Never a negative effect of which I am aware.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General Chat 42
dontsweatme Injury / Rehab 5
General Chat 18
35 and Older 34
General Chat 4