Sick AND Tired

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sleep apnea is pretty nasty stuff in more ways than we might think. I have suspected this for years and have a referal that I have been neglecting to follow up with until my most recent bloodwork demonstrate some abnormalties. I believe that a partial culprit may be sleep apnea. Of course I am no doctor and will seek treatment from a professional. I just thought the topic was interesting.

Entrez PubMed

Entrez PubMed

Decreased Testosterone Levels Linked To Sleep Disorder

Sleep apnea may increase risk of diabetes

Neuroendocrine dysfunction in sleep apnea: reversal by continuous positive airways pressure therapy -- Grunstein et al. 68 (2): 352 -- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism

SpringerLink - Journal Article

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sleep apnea will cause you to feel like you're suffering from 10 different illneses. Sleep studies is what you need man. Mine is due in July because of the backup but in the meantime they gave me a sleep aid to at least help in that regard.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, I do. I was speaking to a guy this morning at work who said it changed his life. He now has a "nasal continuous positive airway pressure" (nCPAP) breathing machine. His testimony was very encouraging. I have a referral sitting on my desk at home. Been putting it off for many months. It has been placed at the top of my list.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did the same thing except mine was in my car's floorboard.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got my sleep study scheduled.

I wouldn't want to go to bed one night and wake up dead. ;)

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Good for you... I need to get this done as well. I sound like a freight train when I sleep. I have to wait awhile though for my insurance to kick in at my new job.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I've fought with insomnia (not sleep apnia) for several years. When I finally got some meds that worked, it did change my life. After about a week of good rest, I felt like an entirely new person. Plus, the weights started going up again...that was very nice.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
keep us updated B...Im curious if you get a cpap..how you like it.

4thseason

Awards
Sorry this is the way that I am breaking into the board but I went through this about two and a half years ago and finally in 2005 had all the surgeries done at one time thinking it would cure me.

Had my Tonsils/ads removed sinuses drilled and uvula removed and pallet shaved back. Doc said I was the second person he ever did them all at once. The recovery was awfullll. I wish you luck! I cured my apnea for the most part and I have never snored since.

BTW I tried the CPAP machine which was awful for me and a deployment diqualifier for the military .

If you have any questions of me feel free to ask I went through that hell but still seem to be suffering all the related symtoms of CFS. Soon I will post my new bloodwork perhaps I can get answers here as everyone seems to truly be interested in helping people feel their best

Bri

TWMac

Awards
This is also my first post, but I wanted to share what I recently have gone through. Hope you find the info helpful.

I went thru the sleep study testing at the request of, make that the insistence of, my wife! I guess my snoring was out of this world. Her problem with me was in addition to the snoring, she would lay awake and listen to me to make sure I didn't stop breathing. I apparently would stop breathing numerous times during the night.

The sleep study tech confirmed this as she told me I had numerous "events" per hour. As for the duration of these "events", the shortest stoppage was 29 seconds at the LOW end and 1 minute 58 seconds at the high end! Scary stuff to say the least!

At any rate, I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. I now sleep nights with a CPAP machine and in all honesty, I sleep so much better and wake up feeling like I've actually slept. Before, I could "sleep" 8 hours a night and woke up feeling like I had slept maybe an hour or two. No energy at all. Felt like crap all the time.

One interesting thing that I got from this....I am 6'2" and around 230#....not the biggest fella in the world. My sleep doc measured my neck at the first consultation. My neck measured 17". Not that big, or so I thought. But, in his estimation, this large neck size classified me as OBESE! Never mind my height and build. He told me my neck size for a person my age and height (I'm 45 yrs old) should be no more than 15". Crazy stuff....

Anyway, sorry for the long post....I tried to post the cliff notes version as best I could. Hope some of this info helps as you go thru all this. My only advice is that the worst thing you can do in this situation is nothing. And by doing nothing, you leave yourself open to heart attack, stroke and even death. So please take care of this ASAP! I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but this is the reality of sleep apnea. Your family and friends will be glad you did. If you have questions, feel free to PM and I'll answer as best I can.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
This is also my first post, but I wanted to share what I recently have gone through. Hope you find the info helpful.

I went thru the sleep study testing at the request of, make that the insistence of, my wife! I guess my snoring was out of this world. Her problem with me was in addition to the snoring, she would lay awake and listen to me to make sure I didn't stop breathing. I apparently would stop breathing numerous times during the night.

The sleep study tech confirmed this as she told me I had numerous "events" per hour. As for the duration of these "events", the shortest stoppage was 29 seconds at the LOW end and 1 minute 58 seconds at the high end! Scary stuff to say the least!

At any rate, I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. I now sleep nights with a CPAP machine and in all honesty, I sleep so much better and wake up feeling like I've actually slept. Before, I could "sleep" 8 hours a night and woke up feeling like I had slept maybe an hour or two. No energy at all. Felt like crap all the time.

One interesting thing that I got from this....I am 6'2" and around 230#....not the biggest fella in the world. My sleep doc measured my neck at the first consultation. My neck measured 17". Not that big, or so I thought. But, in his estimation, this large neck size classified me as OBESE! Never mind my height and build. He told me my neck size for a person my age and height (I'm 45 yrs old) should be no more than 15". Crazy stuff....

Anyway, sorry for the long post....I tried to post the cliff notes version as best I could. Hope some of this info helps as you go thru all this. My only advice is that the worst thing you can do in this situation is nothing. And by doing nothing, you leave yourself open to heart attack, stroke and even death. So please take care of this ASAP! I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but this is the reality of sleep apnea. Your family and friends will be glad you did. If you have questions, feel free to PM and I'll answer as best I can.
Thanks for sharing.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I do. I was speaking to a guy this morning at work who said it changed his life. He now has a "nasal continuous positive airway pressure" (nCPAP) breathing machine. His testimony was very encouraging. I have a referral sitting on my desk at home. Been putting it off for many months. It has been placed at the top of my list.
think my dad has this. for years id watch him sleep not fully understanding what was going on.

then in college took a sleep course. cuz im really interested in learning about something im horrible at sleeping hee.

told dad right away prob sleep apnea.

GET IT LOOKED AT YOU FOOL.

have someone watch you sleep
seriouslly !

gnutela

Awards
I used to have sleep apnea because my stomach was so huge. i cant breathe while sleeping at times. but eversince i became active again, i think it went away a little.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I almost forgot about this.

Took the study. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. Yet they failed to titrait the cPAP to get my pressure requirements.

I took the study again to get the cPAP tirtration.

In the time between testing I have lost 15lbs. My wife made a comment regarding how my snoring had been reduced considerably lately and that I had been sleeping more quietly. I noticed had been sleeping more soundly too.

I had noticed that I had been getting more dreams and frequent dreams as well. This is a sign that I am getting deeper sleep than before. Before I would get no dreams at all.

The machine is going to cost me the first $500 dedcutible out of my pocket. I am holding off on getting it as I plan to lose another 10lbs over the course of the next couple months. I believe that this will remedy the situation considerably if not completely.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
I almost forgot about this.

Took the study. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. Yet they failed to titrait the cPAP to get my pressure requirements.

I took the study again to get the cPAP tirtration.

In the time between testing I have lost 15lbs. My wife made a comment regarding how my snoring had been reduced considerably lately and that I had been sleeping more quietly. I noticed had been sleeping more soundly too.

I had noticed that I had been getting more dreams and frequent dreams as well. This is a sign that I am getting deeper sleep than before. Before I would get no dreams at all.

The machine is going to cost me the first $500 dedcutible out of my pocket. I am holding off on getting it as I plan to lose another 10lbs over the course of the next couple months. I believe that this will remedy the situation considerably if not completely.
keep it up bro. no one ever said being fat is good :p

i think my dads lost at least 50lbs over the past year and still going

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude, I'm not fat :think:

I went from 205-210 to 190. Leaning down considerably.

Any time I get over 200-205, regardless of body composition, I snore like a chainsaw.

If that's fat my guess is you better get busy as well. ;)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and ugly...

Did they tell you what the rate was? I have a cpap I don't use, its set to 6 whatever it is, and the ramp up goes from 4-6. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea too, but for one, I could never sleep thru the night without peeling the cpap mask off. Also, after I stopped drinking, started working out, and then started l-dopa based supps, I don't think I have the apnea anymore. My wife says I don't even snore noticeably anymore

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
He may be fat, bald and ugly but at least he doesn't have these:

You guys are mean, I love joo long time B!!! :D

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I get over a certain weight I have problems like this, doesn't matter if its fat or muscle. Thats why I'm cutting down and gonna try and stay under 200 pounds once I get there!. This has happened to me more than a few times,

I am completely asleep, I mean I'm dead asleep. All of a sudden I wake up gasping for air and my heart starts pounding like its gonna bust out of my chest!. I feel an impending sense of doom and misery. After about 20 seconds of gasping for air I calm down and go back to sleep. Then for some reason when I try to relax and get back to sleep I start to twitch for a few seconds at a time but this goes away also after a while.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and ugly...

Did they tell you what the rate was? I have a cpap I don't use, its set to 6 whatever it is, and the ramp up goes from 4-6. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea too, but for one, I could never sleep thru the night without peeling the cpap mask off. Also, after I stopped drinking, started working out, and then started l-dopa based supps, I don't think I have the apnea anymore. My wife says I don't even snore noticeably anymore
I believe it was 8 or 10psi but I could be wrong in my recollection. That is the issue for me with the mask. I don't believe that it will improve my sleep any, aside form some mild apnea, as I will still likely wake form the mask. But they say it takes several weeks to get used to it. As of now I do not have a cPAP machine.

When I was a drunk I snored so loud my kids could hear it down the hall through their AC vents.

Like I said, my sleep is improved when I do sleep. I am using some stimulants right now that keep my up longer than I would like to. When I cycle off them I will be able to get a better estimate of how improved my sleep is with the 10 -15lbs weight loss.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I was a drunk I snored so loud my kids could hear it down the hall through their AC vents.
better estimate of how improved my sleep is with the 10 -15lbs weight loss.

hahahahaah how funny (or not) exactly the same situation here. I used to drink just about daily, and way too heavily before I started bodybuilding. That was a piece i'm sure of my apnea. My wife (and kids) have said that my snoring is almost nonexistent now.

If you want my cpap to try it, you are welcome to it. Otherwise I may as well ebay it :) I haven't used it in 6 months.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
This is really kewl, I love learning new stuff and the real day to day problems ( and solutions ) we all experience.

Keep up posted B!

Much Love,

Neoborn

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
its funny, when i was a drunk i never had trouble sleeping. recently lost 20 lbs and have been sleeping much better, it seems to be a trend. good luck.

vetteman36

Awards
CHAINSAW, FREIGHTTRAIN try 747 at take off. Seriously, my wife has almost thrown me out of bed a couple of times becauce of the snoring. I too start snoring once I climb above the 210pnd mark. However, I am gaining muscle weight not fat weight. Therefore, I am not willing to loose weight at all.

In addition, I am glad to hear that these sleep studies have helped many people out. I just went to the doctor last week and he told me I should get a sleep study and Cat Scan of my sinuses done. Hopefully they will be able to determine what the root of the problem is. Will let you guys know how this turns out....

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I was reading through this thread again and got hit with the DD man boobage again :O. I snore quite a bit my wife wants me to go for testing but bah!

I am going to lose some fat and gain muscle hopefully this will help. I just leave the bedroom when I snore too loud. We have a three strikes rule. If I wake her or get too loud three times, I go to the couch or spare bedroom.

I love my wife :)

Much Love,

Neoborn