Trying to quit smoking

zues

Awards
Hey guys
I've read a few threads where people getting back into shape have quit smoking and was just wondering what they did that helped. I've tried patches and gum. The gum works best but has so much nicotine it seems that when I fall off the "cigarette wagon", I smoke MORE! If anyone has a success story I'd like to hear what worked for them. Just knowing that something will work will be a help in itself. Thanks

sean taylor

sean taylor

West Coast Highland Athlete
Awards
  • Established
Try the pill...wellbutrin. Worked for me.

And congrats on quitting. I quit on the first. I took the pill for about 30 days then toughed it out.
Just remember, there can be setbacks, ya might smoke one out with the guys but that does not mean you have failed.
Another thing I did, although you might think it extreme, I began to limit contact with all my smoking buddies in places we smoked. If I go to a bar, it is a smoke-free one. That is a biggie, seeing all your friends light up was hard for me.

BigTom

Awards
Do you REALLY want to quit?

I gave up all forms of nicotine 5 years ago. This was after saturating myself with it for over 20 years, cigs, cigars, chew.

I picked Fathers Day 2001, to remind me I have 2 children to raise and set examples for. I also stopped all Alcohol and weed consumption. Everything! I quit COLD TURKEY.

I made sure in my mind, that I REALLY wanted to quit. I knew the withdrawl would be hell and decided to take the pain, because there is no other way to rid your body of these toxicins. Patches, gum, bull****! You don't really want to quit.
Admit it. Pussy! The fear of withdrawl is very strong. Remember, this is a drug on par with heroin or crystal meth!

So use the gym to replace your nicotine addiction. Working out everyday takes DISCIPLIN . Quitting nicotine takes DISCIPLIN.
So go Lift, hit the heavy bag, run, stairmaster.... It's the fastest way to walk over the hot coals. It took me about a month to calm down. The nicotine leaves your body in about 8days. From there... it's all in your head.

The cravings s l o w l y go away. But they DO!

SO, if you REALLY want to quit. Just QUIT!

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I tried changing brands, the gum, patches, you name it. The only thing that worked was when I quit cold turkey. Get the nicotine out of your system as quick as possible. The other stuff just seems to prolong the agony for me. Been smoke free for 1.5 years now.

BigTom

Awards
I tried changing brands, the gum, patches, you name it. The only thing that worked was when I quit cold turkey. Get the nicotine out of your system as quick as possible. The other stuff just seems to prolong the agony for me. Been smoke free for 1.5 years now.
AAAAAAAMEN, Brutha Redwolf! Congratulations!:dance:

Rich336

Awards
I tried acupuncture, patch, gum, hypnosis, and group hypnosis I went back to smoking with all. Then I picked a day Feb 14, 2005 and went cold turkey. What helped me was telling myself I could do anything I wanted but smoke, I made smoking "not an option" for myself. I also went to weight watchers during this time since I had put on 50lbs trying to quit and I believe that kept my mind busy thinking about what foods I should eat. So far I feel great now. I lift 3 times a week and do cardio 3 days. The bonus is that I learned how to eat right, dropped 60 lbs and went from 42" waist to 34" keeping my weight around 195 now. Good Luck Zues

getjacked63

Awards
  • Established
I gave up all forms of nicotine 5 years ago. This was after saturating myself with it for over 20 years, cigs, cigars, chew.

I picked Fathers Day 2001, to remind me I have 2 children to raise and set examples for. I also stopped all Alcohol and weed consumption. Everything! I quit COLD TURKEY.

I made sure in my mind, that I REALLY wanted to quit. I knew the withdrawl would be hell and decided to take the pain, because there is no other way to rid your body of these toxicins. Patches, gum, bull****! You don't really want to quit.
Admit it. Pussy! The fear of withdrawl is very strong. Remember, this is a drug on par with heroin or crystal meth!

So use the gym to replace your nicotine addiction. Working out everyday takes DISCIPLIN . Quitting nicotine takes DISCIPLIN.
So go Lift, hit the heavy bag, run, stairmaster.... It's the fastest way to walk over the hot coals. It took me about a month to calm down. The nicotine leaves your body in about 8days. From there... it's all in your head.

The cravings s l o w l y go away. But they DO!

SO, if you REALLY want to quit. Just QUIT!
this is pretty much dead on. the only thing that works is if you make up your mind to REALLY want to quit, then you just do it. no excuses.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
I quit a week ago, havent smoked since, but do use lozenges. I decided to stop cause smoking really ****ed up my cardio, when I began training BJJ again last week. Ill get off the lozenges when I feel like it, nicotine isnt "that" bad for you, compared to smoking.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well this is year 4 smoke free after 30 years of smoking and I used to smoke Newport plus break the filters off to get that extra kick.I picked a date and smoked my brains out til that time,now keep in mind I loved to smoke,I enjoyed it I started the patch for the first 4 days and it did seem to take the craving away but then it irritated my skin so i got rid of it.

The hardest times were after a big dinner or at a bar having a couple of beers and that is more out of habit than anything else.The best advice I can give is when you have the urge to smoke get busy and think of something else abd you will actually forget about it.The bottom line is it's willpower plain and simple,look at it like losing 30lbs if you want it bad enough you will get there..good luck

SoMdHunter

SoMdHunter

Awards
  • Established
This June 14th will be 2 years for me. There really isn't anything I can add that hasn't already been said about quitting. It simply takes will power. You have to have more control over your body than that 4 inch stick of tobacco.

When the cravings get bad, and trust me they will, just take a deep breath and keep going. Take one day at a time and don't worry about anything else but not smoking. Also, if you have any real large stress issues going on right now, it probably isn't a good time to quit. Stress will cause you to fail quicker than anything else. But if everything is cool at home, now is the time to do it!

I used Zyban and went cold turkey after 30 years. Trust me bro, it is worth it! You will be amazed how you have let those smokes control your life! It is a tough trip, but man o man is it ever worth it!

Good luck man! I wish ya nothing but success.

BigTom

Awards
Hey guys
I've read a few threads where people getting back into shape have quit smoking and was just wondering what they did that helped. I've tried patches and gum. The gum works best but has so much nicotine it seems that when I fall off the "cigarette wagon", I smoke MORE! If anyone has a success story I'd like to hear what worked for them. Just knowing that something will work will be a help in itself. Thanks
DO YOU REALLY WANT TO QUIT? ANSWER HONESTLY. THINK IT THROUGH. DO YOU REALLY WANT TO QUIT?

christopher

Awards
  • Established
Listen to Hank....

"Well I kicked the habit, of smoking back sometime ago.
And I tried the hard stuff,but I had to let all that go.
But the toughest thing I ever gave up was today.
Cause Old Habits Like You are hard to break.

I chew lifesavers to help me get off cigarettes.
But you know for your love I aint found no lifesavers yet.
And I've grown cold Turkey cause theres not even one kiss a day.
And Old habits like you are hard to break.

Old habits like you are hard to break.
Love with someone new is so hard to make.
I had grown so use to your love and all of your ways."

BigTom

Awards
Listen to Hank....

"Well I kicked the habit, of smoking back sometime ago.
And I tried the hard stuff,but I had to let all that go.
But the toughest thing I ever gave up was today.
Cause Old Habits Like You are hard to break.

I chew lifesavers to help me get off cigarettes.
But you know for your love I aint found no lifesavers yet.
And I've grown cold Turkey cause theres not even one kiss a day.
And Old habits like you are hard to break.

Old habits like you are hard to break.
Love with someone new is so hard to make.
I had grown so use to your love and all of your ways."
LISTEN, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO QUIT, THEN DON'T.
IF YOU HAVE MADE UP YOUR MIND THAT YOU ARE GOING TO QUIT, AND GO THROUGH ANYTHING TO GET THERE, THEN GET GOING!, IT CAN BE DONE! IT CAN BE DONE!

christopher

Awards
  • Established
LISTEN, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO QUIT, THEN DON'T.
IF YOU HAVE MADE UP YOUR MIND THAT YOU ARE GOING TO QUIT, AND GO THROUGH ANYTHING TO GET THERE, THEN GET GOING!, IT CAN BE DONE! IT CAN BE DONE!
WHY ARE YOU YELLING....?

If that was to me, I DID quit BRO! :head:

Depending on the day, I smoked 3-5 packs of Reds and/or 1-3 cans of Cope....:fool2:

Been Smoke free for almost 10 yrs, minus some cigars,
and Cope free for a yr this July...:woohoo: :bow28: :woohoo:

I used the Hank Jr method...
"I chew lifesavers to help me get off cigarettes"

BigTom

Awards
WHY ARE YOU YELLING....?

If that was to me, I DID quit BRO! :head:

Depending on the day, I smoked 3-5 packs of Reds and/or 1-3 cans of Cope....:fool2:

Been Smoke free for almost 10 yrs, minus some cigars,
and Cope free for a yr this July...:woohoo: :bow28: :woohoo:

I used the Hank Jr method...
"I chew lifesavers to help me get off cigarettes"
Sorry...I didn't see that part. Congrats, and don't go near any kind of nicotine. It's like Plutonium to you now.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things ive ever had to do. Patches worked for me. Without them, I would still be smoking. Dont go for the ones that you leave on all night unless you want to become more addicted to nicotine than what you were before and you want nightmares and vivid dreams all night. Im not sure if they even sell the 24hr ones anymore.

The trick for me was to realize that you will mess up from time to time, but just keep getting back on the horse and eventually you will just get jack of it and just stop. Hit the gym and even do somthing cardio like boxing or kickboxing so you can feel the benefits of being fit again. Best of luck and you can definately do it. Dont listen to other people's negative comments becuase I copped it for years trying to quit and now I am smoke free and they are still hooked.:head:

zues

Awards
Thanks everyone for responding. I have picked this Monday the 16th to quit. I am going to get some lifesavers. I have patches and the gum but I'm gonna try without and then if the cravings get unbearable I'll try them to stay off the butts. Stress will always be a factor as I have my own business that is 7 days a week 365 days a year. So no excuses - its me vs. the monkey....and I am a VERY sore loser!!! Thanks again for all the input.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
dont let it beat u man im currently tryin to help a friend quit so... yeah dont give up

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone for responding. I have picked this Monday the 16th to quit. I am going to get some lifesavers. I have patches and the gum but I'm gonna try without and then if the cravings get unbearable I'll try them to stay off the butts. Stress will always be a factor as I have my own business that is 7 days a week 365 days a year. So no excuses - its me vs. the monkey....and I am a VERY sore loser!!! Thanks again for all the input.
You can do it :head:

When you feel like smoking drink some orange juice

have you ever smoked after drinking OJ it taste's real bad

christopher

Awards
  • Established
F**k the patches and gum...get some lifesavers and , some guys will say this is wrong, but this is how I did it....

Chew the lifesavers...(get the berry ones BTW) and use your cigarettes....Smoke it like you always did, just DONT LIGHT IT....I used to bum smokes and sit and "smoke" them unlit, with a mouthful of lifesavers....

The cig was all wet and slimy, but I didnt light up....It tricks the brain into thinkin you are actually smoking and gives you something to do....I was used to smoking non stop (I chain smoked) so it helped to occupy me....

Quittin smokin is hard, but you got it easy compared to Copenhagen-thats the true beast....

Good luck...

BigTom

Awards
F**k the patches and gum...get some lifesavers and , some guys will say this is wrong, but this is how I did it....

Chew the lifesavers...(get the berry ones BTW) and use your cigarettes....Smoke it like you always did, just DONT LIGHT IT....I used to bum smokes and sit and "smoke" them unlit, with a mouthful of lifesavers....

The cig was all wet and slimy, but I didnt light up....It tricks the brain into thinkin you are actually smoking and gives you something to do....I was used to smoking non stop (I chain smoked) so it helped to occupy me....

Quittin smokin is hard, but you got it easy compared to Copenhagen-thats the true beast....

Good luck...
THROW THE GOT DAM **** IN THE TRASH, AND FACE THE MUSIC.
COLD FUKCING TURKEY. Your life depends on it.
It's hell,torture. It's like being thirsty and you can't get water.
BUT you WILL get thru it if you resist and excercise or go for a run or jerk your gerkin. Just don't smoke. NO MATTER WHAT. It will slowly fade away, and you will be free! FREE!

christopher

Awards
  • Established
THROW THE GOT DAM **** IN THE TRASH, AND FACE THE MUSIC.
COLD FUKCING TURKEY. Your life depends on it.
It's hell,torture. It's like being thirsty and you can't get water.
BUT you WILL get thru it if you resist and excercise or go for a run or jerk your gerkin. Just don't smoke. NO MATTER WHAT. It will slowly fade away, and you will be free! FREE!
It never goes away....not really...

It will always be there, lurking....in the back of your mind...:duel:

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
I dont get even the slightest cravings for cigarettes anymore. The smell of it makes me sick.

christopher

Awards
  • Established
I dont get even the slightest cravings for cigarettes anymore. The smell of it makes me sick.
Agreed....I dont like the smell either....

I dont like the smell of Cope anymore either, or how it hacked my gums....BUT,

To me, it always feels like something is missing....

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
Congrats to the quitters. I am 5 weeks now. I set a date, took the day off work and said no matter what I am not going to smoke that day.

Up to the date I saturated myself with very morbid pictures of people with lung cancer and other smoking related diseases. It was like I programmed myself to associate cigarettes more with the negative results instead of the pleasurable things. Also I told myself it is going to probably be the hardest thing I ever did in my life so man up when it gets tough.

No patch, gum, etc. Just a made up mind and tons of info.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Cold Turkey. I smoked a pack a day of Marlboro Red for years. One day (for booty related reasons) I simply stopped and never looked back. The physical addiction is out of your system in a couple days. It was just a matter of DECIDING to do it and having the discipline not to give myself excuses to start again.