olepapaswole

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
How long have you been at it?

What type of routine have you found most beneficial at your age (I just turned 58 and am working on getting back to really looking like I work out).

I still think we should have an over 50 permanent thread as well as the over 35 and the anti-aging.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Looking thick. Welcome to the forum, glad to have you.

olepapaswole

Awards
to glg

I've been training off and on since age 12, but truly dedicated myself to consistent training 3 years ago at age 52. I had a good base to start from and trained in my younger years on the old split routine 6 days a week along with running 5 miles each day. Today I train 4 days a week, triceps and chest Monday, biceps and back Tuesday, legs Wednesday, shoulders/traps/forearms Thursday. If you are just starting I suggest the basic (3sets X 10reps without weight change) all bodyparts training Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 6 to 8 weeks, then switch to 5 sets (1@15reps warm-up, then pyramid, that is adding weight by 5 to 10 lbs each successive set and reducing reps consecutively 12, 10, 8, 6). I have found that pushing myself to extreme measures by lifting as heavy as possible produces the best results, but I am not recommending this to others without warning them to have a good spotter handy and never give up proper form as this most often leads to injury. There are many, many other workout programs that I have used such as drop-sets, forced reps, etc, etc, but that is for advanced bodybuilding in my past. I, also, suggest a good cardio program on the treadmill, stair-stepper or eliptical at least 20 mins. a day for at least 3 days a week.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pics 11
35 and Older 4