Doctors Hail New Prostate Blood Test

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Doctors Hail New Prostate Blood Test

Daily Post

08-25-06

NEW blood test for prostate cancer could change the way the disease is diagnosed and treated.

Not only is it far more accurate than the standard PSA test, but it can also detect cancers that have started to spread.

Researchers in the US hope the test will be available in 18 months.

Protein specific antigen or PSA is released into the blood by prostate cells.

For years, it has been relied upon as the first indicator of prostate cancer but some patients with abnormal levels are cancer- free, while others have cancers that are missed because of low readings.

The new test, developed at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions in Baltimore, Maryland, US, looks for a different protein called early prostate cancer antigen-2, or EPCA-2.

Overall, the test identified prostate cancer patients with 94% accur acy.

In contrast, PSA levels of between four and 10 ngml detected only 85% of patients with prostate cancer.

Prostate cancer is diagnosed in about 32,000 men each year in the UK, and causes more than 10,000 deaths.

Larger clinical trials are planned that could make the new test available in the US in 18 months, said Prof Getz enberg.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
The only thing I look forward to at 40 is having a doc lube himself up and begin his search for the neighborhoods car keys...In my ass.

I can see it now.
*flashback scenerio*

You kids have it easy, easy I tells ya! Back when I was a youngin a doctor would have to go elbow deep into your ass to check for prostate cancer. AND YOU LIKED IT! Damn pussies and their blood tests for everything.

*/flashback*

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I underwent this PCA3 test last Tuesday and am still waiting for the results. It is not a fast turnaround hence it is nervewracking. They tell me about 10 days so I may know by this Friday, till then ....... Let me tell you that the wording "attentive digital rectal exams" is the biggest misnomer in the English language. The Docs insertion is bad enough but the violent squeezing tests the limits of your endurance. Still it beats the biopsy I had to endure 8 years ago. And it is a hell of a lot more accurate than the old PSA evals. Let you know what my score and resulting course of action is.

PCA3
PCA3: A Genetic Marker of Prostate Cancer - Prostate Cancer Research Institute

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I underwent this PCA3 test last Tuesday and am still waiting for the results. It is not a fast turnaround hence it is nervewracking. They tell me about 10 days so I may know by this Friday, till then ....... Let me tell you that the wording "attentive digital rectal exams" is the biggest misnomer in the English language. The Docs insertion is bad enough but the violent squeezing tests the limits of your endurance. Still it beats the biopsy I had to endure 8 years ago. And it is a hell of a lot more accurate than the old PSA evals. Let you know what my score and resulting course of action is.

PCA3
PCA3: A Genetic Marker of Prostate Cancer - Prostate Cancer Research Institute
Fingers crossed.