Step dad taking prostate cancer treatment>? Suggest some supplements for him?

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
He's not really a bodybuilder but works long hard days, He's early/mid 50's works 12 hour days 6 days a week. Starts his day with a radiology treatment then its to work. Well as you know there are side effects and there taking some toll on him/his health.

Now i don't know all the details but he admits that low energy/low mood and my mom tells me he's been a little bit short since the start.

What could i get him on to boost his overall health/wellness?

I know multi/Epa

What else?

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
He's not really a bodybuilder but works long hard days, He's early/mid 50's works 12 hour days 6 days a week. Starts his day with a radiology treatment then its to work. Well as you know there are side effects and there taking some toll on him/his health.

Now i don't know all the details but he admits that low energy/low mood and my mom tells me he's been a little bit short since the start.

What could i get him on to boost his overall health/wellness?

I know multi/Epa

What else?
Hey there. Sounds like the guy's work hours alone would put me in that kind of mood. The stress of all that work and the stress from the radiation combined only make matters worse. Anyways, if he is undergoing radiology treatments and it sounds like a lot of them, then you should do A LOT OF RESEARCH on free radical pathology and the benefits of antioxidants. Write these names down and look them up for yourself and you should definitely see an improvement. The two on top of the list of antioxidants are R-Dihydro-Lipoic Acid (please reffer to my thread on R-DHLA in the Supplement portion of this forum) and Grapeseed extract. Some others that will work synergistically with these are Ester C, Beta-Sitosterol, 7-Keto and a GOOD B-complex. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
Hey there. Sounds like the guy's work hours alone would put me in that kind of mood. The stress of all that work and the stress from the radiation combined only make matters worse. Anyways, if he is undergoing radiology treatments and it sounds like a lot of them, then you should do A LOT OF RESEARCH on free radical pathology and the benefits of antioxidants. Write these names down and look them up for yourself and you should definitely see an improvement. The two on top of the list of antioxidants are R-Dihydro-Lipoic Acid (please reffer to my thread on R-DHLA in the Supplement portion of this forum) and Grapeseed extract. Some others that will work synergistically with these are Ester C, Beta-Sitosterol, 7-Keto and a GOOD B-complex. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Good post,

What items contain those anti oxidents?

Also thinking of getting him Nuero Stim+C keep him going during the day?

Any other thoughts?

Big thanks
Dr liftalot

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Good post,

What items contain those anti oxidents?

Also thinking of getting him Nuero Stim+C keep him going during the day?

Any other thoughts?

Big thanks
Dr liftalot
Hey...Thanks. Listen, I don't know if you are able to spend some money in reguards to improving his condition or not but I don't think you will find these ingredients in large enough doses in any type of a mix or blend. Life Extension sells R-Dihydro- Lipoic Acid exclusively. And as for the Grapseed extract, He again, needs higher dosages. So pretty much all of the products that I mentioned should be bought individually if you really want to see quality results.

Oh, as far as the Neurostim goes.... That stuff is garbage. It contains Aspartame. This sweetener causes lots of major problems. It also contains caffeine at 125mg. If overall mood and sustained energy is one of your goals, than getting adequate sleep and a GOOD B-complex 2x a day will be the foundation. Also, try NADH 10mg in sublingual form along with the B-complex. Trust me, I use these products daily and I only find positive results. Please let us know how things turn out and if you have the resources, than go for it. His condition has room for improvement.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
Hey...Thanks. Listen, I don't know if you are able to spend some money in reguards to improving his condition or not but I don't think you will find these ingredients in large enough doses in any type of a mix or blend. Life Extension sells R-Dihydro- Lipoic Acid exclusively. And as for the Grapseed extract, He again, needs higher dosages. So pretty much all of the products that I mentioned should be bought individually if you really want to see quality results.

Oh, as far as the Neurostim goes.... That stuff is garbage. It contains Aspartame. This sweetener causes lots of major problems. It also contains caffeine at 125mg. If overall mood and sustained energy is one of your goals, than getting adequate sleep and a GOOD B-complex 2x a day will be the foundation. Also, try NADH 10mg in sublingual form along with the B-complex. Trust me, I use these products daily and I only find positive results. Please let us know how things turn out a

nd if you have the resources, than go for it. His condition has room for improvement.
Would you mind linking me to all your suggestions, life extension is that a website or a brand?

Also i enjoy nuerostim myself, i thought only the old version has aspartame?

Thanks
Dr liftalot

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Would you mind linking me to all your suggestions, life extension is that a website or a brand?

Also i enjoy nuerostim myself, i thought only the old version has aspartame?

Thanks
Dr liftalot
Hey, if nuerostim works for ya, and the new version doesn't have Aspartame, than go for it. As far as finding these products, my computer sucks and I can't display links so I'll put a couple of the websites down where I found great deals. As for the rest, I will list the product name and description and you can jump over to Froogle.com and find the cheapest one.

R-Dihydro Lipoic acid by Life Extension 150 mg/60 liquid caps $21.86 www.healthmegamall.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=838

Grape Seed Extract by MRM 120mg/100 caps $6.70 www.vitaminlife.com/product-exec/PNAME/Grape_Seed_Extract_120mg/product_id/30212

The B-complex and Beta Sitosterol can be found at Roex.com
gotta get to work, so let me know how things go.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
hey thanks!
Listen, I forgot to mention one product that will really benefit his prostate condition. It's called Natural Sterol Complex by Universial Nutrition. This product contains a full spectrum of sterols. It also contains some Beta Sitosterol but in smaller amounts than the one that I previously suggested. Please let us know how how things work out.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As far as something that will help his cancer...look into PC SPEZ.
If you want more info, PM me. I don't pimp anything, and I am 100 percent into pharma and modern medecine. However, sometimes valid products slip through the cracks.

Do the research yourself, don't take it from me.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Well then.... I certainly hope that my SUGGESTIONS, or should I say.... products that I was "pimpin" are "valid".

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
No offense Hype, I didn't even read your post. I was just making the point that I am not ususlly a pimper but in this case I am. Had nothing to do with you.

p.s. Life extension foundation addy is:

Life Extension Foundation - Highest Quality Vitamins And Supplements
...one of the best domestic sources for supp research. Loads on PC, hence the product I mentioned in my post.
No problem friend.... Just get a little deffensive from time to time. Besides, if we didn't pimp products that are actually of benefit to others once in a while, what good would the forum be?
No hard feelings.... Sorry about the mix up.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Saw Palmetto, Serenoa repens, is the sole species currently classified in the genus Serenoa. It has been known by a number of synonyms, including Sabal serrulatum, under which name it still often appears in alternative medicine. It is a small palm, normally reaching a height of around 2-4 m. Its trunk is sprawling, and it grows in clumps or dense thickets in sandy coastal lands or as undergrowth in pine woods or hardwood hammocks. Erect stems or trunks are rarely produced but are found in some populations. It is endemic to the southeastern United States, most commonly along the Atlantic and Gulf coastal plains, but also as far inland as southern Arkansas.

Saw palmetto is a fan palm (Arecaceae tribe Corypheae), with the leaves with a bare petiole terminating in a rounded fan of about 20 leaflets. The petiole is armed with fine, sharp teeth or spines that give the species its common name. The leaves are 1-2 m in length, the leaflets 50-100 cm long. They are similar to the leaves of the palmettos of genus Sabal. The flowers are yellowish-white, about 5 mm across, produced in dense compound panicles up to 60 cm long. The fruit is a large reddish-black drupe and is an important food source for wildlife.

Uses
Saw palmetto blankets forest floor in southern Highlands County, Florida.
Enlarge
Saw palmetto blankets forest floor in southern Highlands County, Florida.

Native Americans used the fruit for food, but also in the treatment of a variety of urinary and genital problems. The European colonists learned of the use of saw palmetto. It was used as a crude extract for at least 200 years for various conditions including asthenia (weakness), recovery from major illness, and urogenital problems. For instance, the Eclectic physician H. W. Felter wrote of it, "Saw palmetto is a nerve sedative, expectorant, and a nutritive tonic, acting kindly upon the digestive tract...Its most direct action appears to be upon the reprodutive organs when undergoing waste of tissue..." [1]

In modern times, much research has been done on extract made from the fruits which are highly enriched with fatty acids and phytosterols. This research has been the subject of a thorough meta-analysis published in the medical journal JAMA and has been shown effective for the treatment of men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlargement of the prostate) compared to placebo and the two major categories of drugs used for men with this condition. [2] There are also small, positive clinical trials published on the use of saw palmetto extracts topically and internally for male-pattern baldness. In 2005, a long-term, placebo-controlled trial showed that a combination of saw palmetto fruit and nettle root extracts were effective in treating urinary tract symptoms in older men. [3] However, in February 2006, a large, blinded placebo-controlled study published in the New England Journal of Medicine showed no reduction of symptoms from enlarged prostate by taking saw palmetto, as compared to placebo. [4] Designers of the latest study questioned whether the differently-flavored placebos in previous studies were adequately blinded. Critics of the latest study questioned whether a sufficient dosage of active ingredients was given. [5] An earlier single case study on saw palmetto concluded that searching for information on a herbal medicine using MEDLINE alone was insufficient, and expanded their search to "alternative" databases, including AGRICOLA, EMBASE, IBIS, and Cochrane, plus a manual search of unindexed herbal journals. [6]

Other research has shown that the herb works by multiple mechanisms, including inhibiting 5-alpha-reductase, interfering with dihydrotestosterone binding to the androgen receptor, by relaxing smooth muscle tissue similarly to alpha antagonist drugs, and possibly by acting as a phytoestrogen. [7] [8]

Because the fruit is the part used and because a prolific quantity is produced by an adult saw palmetto tree, this herbal medicine is considered ecologically sustainable.

Though in vitro studies suggest saw palmetto has properties that might make it useful against prostate cancer cells or to reduce prostatitis, clinical trials are lacking.
[edit]

Contraindications and side effects

Though men taking saw palmetto may develop mild nausea, reduced libido, or erectile dysfunction, the rate of such problems is clinically and statistically far less common than in men taking drugs to treat BPH symptoms, based on the JAMA meta-analysis cited above. There are no known drug interactions. It should generally be avoided in pregnancy and lactation and in small children due to lack of experience and knowledge in these populations and because of the purely theoretical risk of hormonal interference.

While saw palmetto is generally considered safe, one of its primary active ingredients, beta-sitosterol, is chemically similar to cholesterol. High levels of sitosterol concentrations in blood have been correlated with increased severity of heart disease in men who have previously suffered from heart attacks. [9]

It has also been used as a herbal treatment for baldness.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Floressence by Flora look into it, it's a tea available pre-made and in loose form, get him to drink it 1-2 times daily it's a staple in some cancer wards. I've heard of it helping to shrink the cancer and it's a full body detox on the cellular level, it's good to use even if you don't have cancer.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
Barleans has a great flax oil product that helps prostate care as well. I recommend it, have used it for 2 yrs - great stuff

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Dr. L, Sorry I didn't reply before but I can offer my own experience with this problem FWIW. I will be 65 in a couple days and have fought prostate/BPH/cancer/prostataitis problems most of my life. Below I have listed the things I have taken to win the war and hope it helps your dad as well. I added some reports to substantiate what I do as the original reports I reacted to are already long outdated. This is some solid stuff, read up and good luck!!

Green Tea
Prostate Cancer Research Institute
Green tea shown to prevent prostate cancer

Nettle Root (Urtica Dioica= Activate)
Antiproliferative effect on human prostate cancer cells by a stinging nettle root extract - Urtica dioica Alternative Medicine Review - Find Articles

Beta-Sitosterol
Essential Prostate Nutrients: Beta-Sitosterol

Tomatoes
Lycopene in Tomatoes and Prostate Cancer

Turmeric (curry) and Cauliflower
Curry and cauliflower could halt prostate cancer (press release)

Capsaicin (jalapenos)
Pepper Component Hot Enough to Trigger Suicide in Prostate Cancer Cells (press release)

selenium
Pepper Component Hot Enough to Trigger Suicide in Prostate Cancer Cells (press release)

broccoli
Chemical in Broccoli Blocks Growth of Prostate Cancer Cells, New Study Shows

FYI: I also drink a glass of Cabernet or Merlot EVERY night and an 8 oz glass of Pomegranite daily as well.

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Doc - my father has prostate cancer - his original docs in New Orleans put him on testosterone blockers and gave him estrogen in an attempt to slow tumor growth. He felt like crap, got fat, etc - all the expected symptoms of hypogonadism and elevated estradiol. He then went to Atlanta to a more progressive group which pulled him off that junk, put him ON testosterone (with an active but slow-growing type tumor) and he's feeling TONS better. The old association between Test & prostate cancer seems to be based on flawed research.
Any chance your father's doc would consider that route?