Question about Test Levels

coffee4me

Board Supporter
Awards
I recently had Test levels checked and they came back Free Test 12 and Total Test 578. I'm 44 years old. I have most all symptoms of low Test, low libido, tired and unmotivated, depression, sleep problems, others...

I had blood drawn at 9:30 am after waking around 5:00 am. Question is, how much will having the blood drawn early in the morning affect these test? Are levels significantly higher in morning or just slightly elevated, as concerning the final test result?

Malek256

Awards
What units are you referring to there? ng/mL? If so, 12 is actually the upper range of normal.

Yes, free testosterone levels vary during the day, hard to say by how much at a specific time.

Have you also had ranges run for LH, PSA, prolactin, etc? Fatigue is a tricky thing.

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
I recently had Test levels checked and they came back Free Test 12 and Total Test 578. I'm 44 years old. I have most all symptoms of low Test, low libido, tired and unmotivated, depression, sleep problems, others...

I had blood drawn at 9:30 am after waking around 5:00 am. Question is, how much will having the blood drawn early in the morning affect these test? Are levels significantly higher in morning or just slightly elevated, as concerning the final test result?
Sleep problems can cause all the other problems you listed. I sometimes take a couple of valerian root pills before bed when I'm restless. Really helps.

Also I have two weeks on PGH-T which raises HGH levels. Used before bed is relaxing and many people are reporting much better sleep. I have been sleeping good.

I think you should have more complete blood tests taken to see if problem is something other like low thyroid or low HGH (and IGF-1).

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Malek, by "normal" do you mean the reference ranges? My doc likes a higher level than 12....

Malek256

Awards
PSBigJoey, yes that is what I meant.

Reference ranges are a poor measure I agree (for one thing, the sample is a moment in time. Might coincide with a peak, for another what's "needed" by people varies by the individual) but for symptoms as he is describing a value at the upper end of the ref range is unlikely to be a sole cause.

Possible of course, but definitely premature to jump at "low" testosterone levels as being the trigger.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
Your test levels are not your problem - are you overweight, highly stressed at work, not getting enough sleep, drinking booze - eating foods high in sugar and saturated fats. Have other anxieties - etc. The good news is that your hormones are not the problem 500-800 is a good normal range for your age. (I am in my late 40s) good luck