Advice for the Slightly Younger Guys?

Blesum

Blesum

Maestro
Awards
I'm 30, and want to look and feel as good as possible as I get older.

What kind of things would you do at this age to ensure that the "golden years" are as golden as possible?

AAS? Yes, no, or when?

HGH?

Focus on bulking as much as possible?

Focus on staying lean at the expense of some bulk?

Eat more of certain foods? Less of others?

In short, if you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently, if anything?

-Blesum

Innings Eater

Innings Eater

Awards
That's a great question. Let's start seeing some replies. This guy is obviously smart enough to plan/see beyond his next cycle. I'm not much older than the seeker of knowledge....so I'll keep my 2 cents "in my pocket".

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You have to decide what your goals are. I like to stay lean which is probably at the expense of some muscle mass. Some guys dont mind carrying around a decent amount of body fat with more muscle mass.

I'd just keep the diet clean and incorporate a solid strength/cardio program. You can't go wrong there. Then when you decide what your goals are, then you can tweak it.

There are some supplements out there that can help you accomplish your goals. I myself wouldn't recommend AAS though, some guys would have a different opinion. If you decide to, just make sure you do a lot of research.

Smoky

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It is all relative to your personal happiness. Trying to live as something you are not is stressful and counter productive. Foremost be true to yourself and your goals. Eat as close to natural as you can and minimize the consumption of toxins. Couple that with an exercise routine that meets your individual needs or desires. Genetics play a large roll unfortunately. My Dad used to say "You take the best care of yourself that you can and pray that you have good parts" All the health and muscle couldn't prevent Arnold from suffering from his 'reported' genetic heart condition. Granted his condition more than likely projected a better prognosis due to his conditioning as well. Success is all things are directly relative to effort, desire, and commitment. Lance Armstrong is a great example of triumph. None the less his genetic disposition is the most influential factor in his performance and longevity. Modern chemistry as well has blurred the lines, but all things come with a cost. Choose your path carefully and follow through. But don’t be afraid to change in the face of new evidence. Adapt, improvise, and overcome to the best of your ability. Always steering towards your goals!

Press On…

MacMan

Awards
I would have to recommend some of the old standbys: eliminate tobacco products, alcohol in moderation only, use sunscreen all of the time, don't be scared to go to a Doctor, eat a balanced healthy meal, and get plenty of sleep.

From more of a fitness angle, your exercise routine is going to become more necessary to maintain appropriate body weight and muscle tone. Your metabolism will start to slow, if it hasn't already. Don't forget the value of flexibility and try to incorporate stretching and flexibility exercies into your routine. You will be rewarded with far fewer athletic related injuries.

I didn't start cycling anything until I was 40 yoa. At 40, I wasn't as scared of the HPTA issues as nature will start taking care of that in the near future anyway. I can say, I have had fantastic results after 40 and haven't regretted my decisions.

Spend more time with family and friends, and less time trying to climb the corporate ladder. If you have children, show your love for them daily. Take time for yourself. I personally believe there is an enormous connection between physical health and mental health. The mental health is often the most neglected.

Most of all, enjoy every moment of everyday. Life is shorter than you think.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
I would have gotten more sleep, drank less (& I don't mean water), and ate cleaner. Case in point - in Aug I was 10% bodyfat at 198 lbs - in 4 months I lost 10lbs of muscle and put on 10 lbs of fat - while still working out. Also, workout for 1 hr in the gym - 2+hrs is a waste of time. But while you are there - beat the S&$T out of them with max intensity

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I have to do some searching but I remember reading somewhere that an AAS cycle once every 1 or 2 years could be a benefit as we get older. Increased bone density & lean mass were the 2 main points.

Fiber, Fiber, Fiber. I cannot tell you how many older people I see with large bowel issues, diverticulitis the main culprit.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Getting rid of the toxic heavy metals you've ingested is a good thing to do for yourself. I have a log about that on here.

Blesum

Blesum

Maestro
Awards
Grunt,

I remember your thread - I myself have a bunch of fillings and want to get them replaced, but it's pretty expensive so I'm stalling on that.

I'm not so sure about the whole "remove toxins via heavy-metal specific supplements" route that you took. It sounded like you had a whole lot of problems and hassles with it even though you were taking extremely high dosages. I'm thinking of just eating a bunch of oatmeal like I have been since that has been shown to help remove heavy metal toxins from the body and I already eat this stuff for the fiber and low glycemic carbs.

-Blesum

biker340

Awards
I'd have to echo just about everything other people have said, but like to add one more thing..

Eliminate all soft drinks, switch them with plain water.. I did that about 7 years ago and noticed a big change..

biker340

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Grunt,

I remember your thread - I myself have a bunch of fillings and want to get them replaced, but it's pretty expensive so I'm stalling on that.

I'm not so sure about the whole "remove toxins via heavy-metal specific supplements" route that you took. It sounded like you had a whole lot of problems and hassles with it even though you were taking extremely high dosages. I'm thinking of just eating a bunch of oatmeal like I have been since that has been shown to help remove heavy metal toxins from the body and I already eat this stuff for the fiber and low glycemic carbs.

-Blesum
After extensive research, the method I used was the one I found had the least controversy and the most likelyhood of success. Heavy metals affect primarily the CNS and far from anything crosses the blood-brain-barrier, which is necessary for getting that crap out of there. Cilantro does that. First time I hear of oatmeal so I wouldn't know. Can't eat the stuff anyways.

I admit, my method of getting rid of toxic heavy metals doesn't have huge studies backing it. It never will, either. The perfect method for so doing isn't proven so I went with what I could find. It is widely accepted that these metals are extremely toxic, to the point that they are a known cause of almost every single degenerative disease around, and it is also proven beyond any shred of doubt that the bone content of these metals in humans is more than 10,000 times what it was 200 years ago. Why bone? Because that's all that's left of people who died 200 years ago... ;)

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
excercise and clean eating are the fountain of youth. If you look at older people who have been active throughout their lives, you notice the similarity that they look younger than they really are. AAS, HGH etc. will come in handy later in life (around 40). Unless you have goals of being a freak of nature bodybuilder, then I would just live as clean as you can (Doritos once in a while won't kill you) and excercise regularly.

Other things mentioned have merit....but IMO you will maintain the majority of your youth just by sticking to the basics.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
IGF-1 and GH may be deeply benefit you as you get older.

2nd on all the other comments.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Bump on the fiber intake. You may want to do some research on your family's medical history too.

My 46yr old dad had to get a colonoscopy a couple weeks ago. Apparently, the doc found a little "bad spot" but it's not a polyp. Dr. told him to make sure he eats 35g of fiber a day. I'm doing the same, although other than board members, I'm the only 20+ yr old I know that gets even close to that much.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Excellent question Blesum! Having just turned 30 myself, its something Im thinking a lot about.

Big bump on the fiber...I got a wisdom tooth out last month and the doc had me on codeine. Well, not only did I hate that crap but it plugged me up something awful...first time in my life Ive ever been constipated and Im *still* not completely right. Psyllum Husk is my friend now - that stuff is a freakin' miracle:)

As for AAS use, I think that, along with HGH is going to be a big help as I approach my late 30's, 40's, etc. Nothing crazy...more of an HRT protocol.

Also - getting your sleep is key, as are regular doctor vists.

I say the above as a total hypocrite -because I hate going to the doctor, and I always stay up way too late!! Working on those issues though.

Antioxidants, a clean diet, constant exercise, and like mentioned above good mental health, low stress, and good genetics are key to aging gracefully.

Im still holding out hope they'll crack our genetic code and figure out a way to extend the max lifespan to 500, but until then:

http://www.unm.edu/~keithw/mindRamblings/robotsMindUploading.html

:D

BV