Does ZMA help with staying asleep

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
Hey guys this question is for my father. He is in his 50's and has trouble staying sleep all night. He has no problem falling asleep but he wakes up through out the night. I was just wondering if ZMA would help him or should he just use a prescription sleep aid like ambien. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
ZMA helped me, but the effects wore off quickly, within several nights.

I would rotate the usage of the following;

ZMA
Benadryl (25-50mg)
Melatonin

Don't take them together, and I wouldn't take them every day either.

I rotate them when I need to make sure I get a good night's sleep.

BTW, Costco has awesome big bottles of Benadryl that are cheap.

Regards,
R

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Try the basics...

Like going to bed at the same time every night...get the tv out of the bedroom etc..it all in the afermentioned post.

After all these things have been established. The first thing that needs to be established is a sleep pattern. Going to bed and getting up at the same time ED. Short term melatonin use is good for this. 1 to 2 mg usually does the trick.

Now he is asleep we want to keep him there for awhile. I have had good experience with Gaba. I have been using P-gh.

If all these used in conjunction with each other are not working. Then I would look into Ambien or get a sleep study.

Ambien too me is a crutch and does not addresse the main problem.

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
For about two weeks I would wake up in the middle of the night two or three times and often would only get 5 hours of sleep as I could not fall back asleep. For me benadryl and melatonin helped me get to sleep but couldn't keep me asleep. For me, the best thing to keep me asleep is 5-HTP so you might give that a try.

bitwise

Awards
I would stay away from Ambien. They gave some to my wife when she was in the hospital and it stoned the ***t out of her. Plus people tend to get addicted to them.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys this question is for my father. He is in his 50's and has trouble staying sleep all night. He has no problem falling asleep but he wakes up through out the night. I was just wondering if ZMA would help him or should he just use a prescription sleep aid like ambien. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
I understand.

I go to sleep very easy but wake up a minimum of 10 times a night, fortunately I go right back to sleep usually. I already use PGH and have tried numerous other things. Once again they would get me to sleep quickly, which I don't need help with, but I would stilll wake up repeatedly.

CROWLER

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
I use ZMA every night with good results. I'm also lifting heavy 5-6 days a week with cardio mixed in there as well.
ROB

Malek256

Awards
I use ZMA every night with good results..
ROB
Me too, along with 5-HTP = deep sleep city. I've recently added pGH.

One thing to watch out for is high Vitamin B6 levels. These have been known to cause sleep interruptions at night.

Also, does your father snore? Have you checked into sleep apnea?

Rkstr

Awards
Atleast I now know that I am not the only person that is stomping around the house at weird times. Is this aging gracefully? Now that I am 38, when can I start expecting hair to start growing out of my ears and nose? Is there any other fun things that I can look forward to?

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
something i've had great success with guys, in terms of going back to sleep without a nasty "hangover" is theanine. the stuff is great!

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Sounds a little silly...but what about diet....

Eating heavy or spicy food late at night can have you tossing and turning as well.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
ZMA works well for me - deep restful sleep.

imichael

Board Supporter
Awards
I find that all the get you to sleep quickly drugs don't help me stay asleep.

That includes melatonin, 5htp, etc. 1 or 2g of phenibut once a week guarantees a decent nights sleep, but does leave a strange hangover for a couple of hours in the moring.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
i love ZMA when it comes to sleeping.. But dreams are very vivid with it, IMO.

Don't just buy zma,, you can get everything in bulk, cheaper. Zinc, Mag, B-6

Synthetik

Awards
My father, which is also in his 50's with the same problem of staying asleep, tried out my Zinc/Magnesium supplement. He's had better quality sleep. For myself, it has helped me a ton feeling "well rested". By the way, we both take 50mg of Zinc and 500mg of Magnesium. I bought the cheapy type from wally world, about $5 for both of them, lasts about 2 months.

Operator

Awards
I've had no success with ZMA. Klonopin (clonazepam) works well for me with no hangover and so far no dependency. I take 1mg if falling asleep seems like it's going to be a problem, none if I feel that I will fall asleep ok. I guess having it there helps too.
Also, I keep a half or quarter tab (.25 or .5 mg) by the bedside with water. If I wake and can't fall back asleep, I take some at that time.