SHBG is very high - looking for advice...

Eight

Eight

Awards
So I (M38) just got my blood test results back, and am not overly pleased with the outcome. I've done some searching for info etc. but would also really appreciate some comments - hence creating a thread.

Because of the way the test was, I don't have an actual figure for free testosterone (though I could do another test to get one, if needed). Here's the interesting part from what I do have:

TESTOSTERONE 19.92 nmol/L (7.60 - 31.40)
SHBG *106.1 nmol/L (16.00 - 55.00)
FREE ANDROGEN INDEX *18.77 Ratio (24.00 - 104.00)

So SHBG and the free androgen index have been flagged as potential problems. Notes included that SHBG may be high due to thyroid (no known problems there) or high estrogen (again, no known problems but it could be possible).

I'm not sure what my next course of action should be really. Was about to hit an epistane cycle (which could murder estrogen apparently), but are there effective things I should take to reduce SHBG?

Not that it matters, but I generally feel great; am fitter and stronger than I've ever been; and haven't had significant problems making gains. So I'm not panicking. The missus has just read that SHBG can cause/is linked to erectile dysfunction so all of a sudden she's fine with me taking some chems, Hahaha. Silver linings.

Eight

Eight

Awards
Is this while on the Sarm or pre cycle?
This is from now, i.e. a couple of months after an ostarine cycle. Unfortunately, I was too ignorant to get bloods done *before* I took anything - so I don't know if these numbers are "normal" for me etc.

It's possible that I just haven't fully recovered. But, forgive me if I'm being stupid here, total testosterone seems ok for my age so I don't think remaining testosterone suppression is a problem. Maybe things are still just a little out of balance.

Oh, I just read something about high SHBG and low DHEA-S being related to gastrointestinal issues, so I should point out that my DHEA-S was also tested and came back nice.

j2048b

Awards
Stinging nettle root i hear helps? Or proviron perhpas?

Eight

Eight

Awards
Hmmm... proviron. :)

I've also made an appointment to discuss things with my doctor. If nothing else, they may help me find out exactly what's going on without it costing me a small fortune in private tests.

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you a Type 1 diabetic or eating keto? Low insulin output by the pancreas causes the liver to kick SHBG into overdrive.

Eight

Eight

Awards
Are you a Type 1 diabetic or eating keto? Low insulin output by the pancreas causes the liver to kick SHBG into overdrive.
That's interesting - didn't know that.

But no, though my diet is very low in carbs (it's low in everything at the minute) I'm not specifically cutting them out and would be very, very surprised if I was in ketosis.

Not a diabetic (that I know of) and no history of diabetes in the family.

I know this is a serious matter, but damn all I can think about is how much I've been looking forward to the epistane cycle and am worried I'll have to delay that. Lol.

gigante35

gigante35

Awards
  • Established
Watch thyroid and get blood checked like tsh, ft3, ft4, t3, t4, and most important antibodies. I had discovered i got hashimoto ans shbg always came around 75-85. Stonging nettle and 3.4 divanil will help definetely.

Eight

Eight

Awards
Watch thyroid and get blood checked like tsh, ft3, ft4, t3, t4, and most important antibodies. I had discovered i got hashimoto ans shbg always came around 75-85. Stonging nettle and 3.4 divanil will help definetely.
Thanks for that, mate. Much appreciated. Gives me more to ask the doc, and a good next step if they don't want to do anything. It's the NHS, so a good chance they'll just tell me to come back when something goes seriously wrong. :)

Stinging nettle really helps? Can't help but have doubts. However, I should probably at least try it.

Eight

Eight

Awards
Ugh. Doc was not a lot of help - seemed to know less than me, and the best they could offer was another blood test (primarily to check liver and thyroid function)... in 3 weeks' time. ****'s sake.

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did you have E2 levels checked? High E2 will increase SHBG.

Eight

Eight

Awards
Did you have E2 levels checked? High E2 will increase SHBG.
Unfortunately not - test didn't include that but it's something I'm thinking about having done now in conjunction with whatever the docs are going to run. They were pretty vague as to exactly what they were going to test for.

No signs of high estrogen, opposite if anything, but it's certainly possible.