Thoughts on belts for heavy deads/squats?

hotdawg

hotdawg

Awards
Figured I'd ask here, as most of you are old enough to have probably cut their teeth using the old school leather lifting belts that I did. I haven't used one in years, but at 42yo and after a bunch of lifestyle changes, etc I'm in better shape than I've been in at least 20 years (and getting better weekly, finally down to single digit bf which I never thought I'd see again).

That said, my lifts are slowly getting heavier and heavier (with very strict form), and while the weights are nothing compared to when I was 22 yo (and likely never will be as my poor joints have suffered enough abuse), I am noticing I feel "hampered" or maybe even "nervous" by my lack of a belt before the heavier lifts.

FWIW when I was a kid I was adamant about wearing a belt only on my heaviest lifts, so I'm leaning towards that philosophy again.

So, do you use a belt? If so, is it one of those old school leather ones or one of those fancy pants velcro deals? Just looking for opinions, I don't care that nobody in my gym uses them and it might look "odd" (I'm big enough for these young bros to know not to question me LOL), I'm just trying to figure out if there is something to the whole philosophy of belts making your lower back weak, etc. And I have no plans to ever again compete in a powerlifting competion, those days are thankfully LONG gone :)

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes, i use a belt. Like you, only on my "heaviest" compound lifts (bench, squat, dead). Id say probably ~75-85% or above e1rm. Dont do velcro, they suck. Get a leather belt. I have a leather belt and love it, its way easier to fasten than a single prong or double prong belt. Heres the one i have:

https://www.strengthshopusa.com/powerlifting-belts/lever-belts/strengthshop-13mm-lever-belt.html

That site has some good belts for relatively cheap. Pioneer (it may be Inzer im thinking of here actually) has some cool customizable belt options if you want to spend a bit more money for a really nice customized belt. Just be prepared to WAIT up to a month for the belt if you go that route.

If you do decide to go with a pronged belt, go with a single prong. The double prong really doesnt offer anything advantageous over the single prong and the double prong is much more of a pain in the ass to get on/off.

Just because you dont have plans to compete in a PL comp doesnt mean you shouldnt get a good belt.

And no, using a belt doesnt make your "core" weak. It can make you rely on the belt for proper bracing habits which could indirectly lead to less core stability under load, but it isnt directly the belt's fault. Practice proper bracing patterns when you arent using your belt and you'll be fine.

barbellsnbows

barbellsnbows

Awards
I only use a belt for my heaviest of lifts but I use a leather belt from Inzer and I love it

irishiron300

irishiron300

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use a belt too, strictly for deads, squats, and their variations. I'll start using the belt ~70% max.

I have a 4 inch double prong leather belt by GASP. I'm a big fan. When it comes to belts, spend a little extra and buy a good leather one. If treated well you can squeeze a bunch of years out if it.

Lifting accessories are based on personal preference. If you can, try a few belts on in store and move around. Some like really wide, others thin. Lots of variations out there but I'm sure you can find something that can meet your needs and comfort.

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
For heavier lifts a good belt makes a difference to assist with stability and ensure maximum stress on the muscles you are trying to work.

If anything they actually help to engage the core because as you tighten this area, the core and abs push against the belt, thus creating a bracing effect on your midsection.

Personally prefer the thicker belt, the same width all the way around and the leather ones tend to become pretty comfortable once 'worn in' but it can take a few months.

Angrypolak

Angrypolak

Awards
Another belt user here. Only used on the heaviest squats and deads. All warm-up sets are performed belt free.

I used to only wear it for deads, but adding it to squats has allowed me to go heavier.

To explain, I know my form is good now, but a few years ago I rounded my back at the bottom (aka "butt-wink") and I've been a bit gun-shy going really heavy since. The belt has allowed me to FEEL my form and gives the confidence to go max effort again.

hvyd

Awards
Im pushing the 50yo mark soon. I Use a belt with 85% and up.

I have a velcro belt which some seem to think sucks. Its a SPUDS 3ply deadlift belt and its friggin awesome. Best belt I have owned in 35 years of lifting. Sure, one day, it will wear out. Comfortable as all can be for any sort of lift and strongman event.

However, I also own a ROGUE Echo 10mm single prong which is also is super comfy with a somewhat pre-broken-in feel when new.

I am currently in Asia so some comps & federations allow both; others do not. Either way, I am happy with both purchases for around $100 total.

Folks at the gym and local comps love trying on the SPUDS and giving it a whirl. Many have come back with one in a suitcase for themselves or someone else.

Get what works for you; Not what others think you need.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use a belt on all squatting regardless of weight, purely because I have had surgery twice for ruptured L5-S1... I could probably lift without one to a certain extent but I do not want to take that risk