Arms go to sleep often.

Shane D

Awards
Hello folks. I've never had much muscle mass until now. I have always either been super skinny as a kid or chubby as a adult male. But I have lost 50# this year in 10 months and have been working out doing cardio and free weights 5 days a week. I have more toned muscle than ever in my life. But in the past 3 months when I try to sleep my arms go numb and burn enough to wake me up. I never had this problem before the muscle mass in my arms. Is this common? Do you guys experience the same thing?

Theoness

Awards
Hello folks. I've never had much muscle mass until now. I have always either been super skinny as a kid or chubby as a adult male. But I have lost 50# this year in 10 months and have been working out doing cardio and free weights 5 days a week. I have more toned muscle than ever in my life. But in the past 3 months when I try to sleep my arms go numb and burn enough to wake me up. I never had this problem before the muscle mass in my arms. Is this common? Do you guys experience the same thing?
Sounds like an impinged nerve

shanethomas

Awards
Same thing happened to me so I did some research. The extra muscle pinches the nerves and cuts them off. Wake up with completely numb arms and hands often. Helps to sleep with my arms straight and not bent.

Shane D

Awards
Same thing happened to me so I did some research. The extra muscle pinches the nerves and cuts them off. Wake up with completely numb arms and hands often. Helps to sleep with my arms straight and not bent.
Well crap! I've tried that and it does help but I didn't ever imagine working out would have a negative effect on my sleep. It's very frustrating.

shanethomas

Awards
Well crap! I've tried that and it does help but I didn't ever imagine working out would have a negative effect on my sleep. It's very frustrating.
You will get used to it once you stop freaking out lol. Just gotta accept it. I still wake up numb and I roll over and go right back to sleep. It's not bad for you and it's not loss of blood flow just a nerve issue

Theoness

Awards
Try posture workouts.. I've had it serverly for the last couple years because I over trained chest as a teen which made me hunched shoulders and causes all sorts of pains and less use and mobility in my shoulders and hands.. Either see a chiropractor if you have the money or make sure you are stretching regularly working all the muscles evenly in your body so there isn't an imbalance and also you could try massage of the traps and upper back and neck to release tension.. Fix it now and don't let it get to my stage because the longer you leave it the harder it is to get rid of as your body ajusts and sets in place!!

Shane D

Awards
You will get used to it once you stop freaking out lol. Just gotta accept it. I still wake up numb and I roll over and go right back to sleep. It's not bad for you and it's not loss of blood flow just a nerve issue
I'm not really freaking out. Just can't rest. Its hard to get comfortable.

Shane D

Awards
Try posture workouts.. I've had it serverly for the last couple years because I over trained chest as a teen which made me hunched shoulders and causes all sorts of pains and less use and mobility in my shoulders and hands.. Either see a chiropractor if you have the money or make sure you are stretching regularly working all the muscles evenly in your body so there isn't an imbalance and also you could try massage of the traps and upper back and neck to release tension.. Fix it now and don't let it get to my stage because the longer you leave it the harder it is to get rid of as your body ajusts and sets in place!!
Thanks for the help guys. I sure hope this gets better. I need my sleep at my age

Caldwood

Caldwood

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the help guys. I sure hope this gets better. I need my sleep at my age
Rear delt flies with 50% working weight with a huge focus on Full Range of Motion. Use this after your mid/upper back workouts helped me a lot when I couldn't sleep on my side anymore due to arm numbness. Old lady won't let me sleep on my back, snorlax.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
Look up "nerve flossing" on the internet. It helped me significantly. I tend to wake up with my outside arm, pinky and ring finger numb... pretty weird, but apparently common. A few stretches each day and it worked for me.

R

Shane D

Awards
Look up "nerve flossing" on the internet. It helped me significantly. I tend to wake up with my outside arm, pinky and ring finger numb... pretty weird, but apparently common. A few stretches each day and it worked for me.

R
Awesome thanks. I will.

WouldBApollo

Awards
I'm glad you asked...I've been experiencing same as I get stronger. I even try sleeping on my back, but always end up in sides...with numbness.
Stretching shoulders an arms does help.