THEN and NOW

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I suppose I'm directing this more to the older guys who started training when they were younger.

I'm just after some experiences on how your training has changed from then to now.

I was 51 this year, started training when I was 19 and going through some major mental and physical issues. I just seem to be spinning my wheels and not seeing much progress for my efforts.

I love training and always put in 100% so motivation is a non issue.

Also add in nutritional changes to if you want.

Thanks.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I briefly did the weightlifting experience at ages 18-20. When I compare to now I see how much more is known regarding how the body adjusts to moving weights and how one can maximize a workout. Results in less time working out. Depends on goals. I refer to overall strength and fitness not just bodybuilding which is by its nature timeconsuming.

Seems back then it was the typical pyramid system for loading/deloading weights during sets.3-4 sets of 8-10reps. There appear to me to be more different individual workouts and workout programs than before. The basic exercises have not changed only many more derivatives or ways of working those muscle groups.

It still is a "how much do you bench" world now as then.

In late teens emphasis was on size and looking great to attract even more women. Now it is different exercises which focus on strength and work with other routines to maximize health. Yes, I mean endurance cardio and HIIT. We were all effortlessly fast then so no need to do HIIT and endurance cardio was for weenies and we never got tired in any case.

Destressing is a major component of exercise today. There was no stress in those late teen years.

The concept of building, competing and surviving your own challenge is as important now and then. Because it was always free weights and focus was needed otherwise injuries would result.

As for food. I eat the same as decades ago. Always ate healthy even when it was not in style. We just know much more about foods and what bio-chemical reactions they engage in to maximize what we eat.

Thanks to exercise putting things right which start to go awry in mid-40s, actually feel as fit as in my early 30s.

When I started weight training a few years ago the main issue was finding a good program which fit my recovery. I did away with almost all isolation and just do compound stuff. Big 7 I think it is termed. Eat accordingly plus plenty of extreme cardio.

Reactions: Jag

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
41 and have been training since 17. I've gone through many phases in that time depending on my goals. I'm much more efficient now and knowing what I get results from and what is needed without destroying myself anymore with hours in the gym. I weight lift 4 days a week and have 2 other training sessions, sometimes on lifting days, that I leave open for kickboxing, rugby practice, or whatever season it is. Diet hasn't changed much over the years as I have always had a fairly clean diet, but love to indulge and don't back down. I just don't do it as much and am more aware of what I'm eating, especially with kids.

Questions for you is when you say you are spinning your wheels and not making much progress- are you running a routine, how are you measuring success, are you eating to match your goals, do you see a doctor and know your hormone levels?

Reactions: Jag
Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Even though this is an old post I thank you for your replies.

Long story short, I am/was WAY overtrained. I am now just taking a complete rest from EVERYTHING to do with bodybuilding training. Which for me is defined as 100% hardcore, balls-to-the-wall training and it is so hard to rest.

Some people make excuses not to go to the gym out of laziness but I am the complete opposite. I have to force myself to stay away. I sometimes think "I'll just do some cardio and abs" BIG MISTAKE. Just stay away from there altogether.

I was not getting any positive results but PLENTY of negative ones. eg: 12-18 months ago I was doing 900 - 1000lbs on the Leg Press, 12-15 reps, felt strong, no pain. 3-4 months ago it was 300-400ls due to my knee injury getting much worse. Same goes for many other exercises. It'll get better soon............how the hell can it??????

The addiction, (a very real thing), just closed my eyes to it and I just didn't recognise the signs. Training is supposed to make you feel good which it used to. But lately I had been getting short tempered with work friends and loved ones and putting fat on around my waist despite a reasonable diet and just seeing no results for all my efforts is frustrating enough.

I'm no longer interested in being the strongest guy in the gym or to have the biggest arms etc. The first thing I do these days is lift up my shirt to see how the waist is coming along. I don't want a ripped to shreds 6 pack, just a small waist.

Lately I've just been walking and stretching. Stretching I have always done and this makes me feel really good but I just do it at home. I've lowered carbs dramatically and having LOTS of fats, moderate protein and huge salads and veges. And I only eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes that's not til I get home from work at 3:30 in the afternoon. Sometimes...not always!! My waist has come way down and I have lost a bit of size but I really feel most of that size lost was fat distributed across my whole body.

I'm not reading anything to do with bodybuilding training, not taking any special supps except zinc and magnesium before bed if I remember. Sleep quality is also much improved and I'm a much more pleasant person to be around.

Reading too much just gave me information overload which just manifested into another type of stress when yet ANOTHER thing didn't work. I'm not a stupid person, I've been training over 30 years and been in great shape, I know what to do, so I just pretended that someone was asking me the same questions I had with the same frustrated tone and the rest is history.

At first I thought I would lose the desire to train with extended time off but I've had 100% enthusiasm for over 30 years, I don't think that will fade any time soon. I'll return to the gym in a month or 2 or 3 whenever.

All this is just in case anyone is interested though. :)

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
46 years old. Been training since 16. Never stopped. Still pushing hard and probably overtrain. I think I lift/cardio for more if a piece of mind now as opposed to the results. No real gains or improvement anymore. Thought about PHs and/or TRT but like the hair I have left. Life is good.

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Life gets in the way but I always manage to get some type of workout done.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
46 years old. Been training since 16. Never stopped. Still pushing hard and probably overtrain. I think I lift/cardio for more if a piece of mind now as opposed to the results. No real gains or improvement anymore. Thought about PHs and/or TRT but like the hair I have left. Life is good.
Are you in need of TRT? If so then hair loss is better than the dangerous consequences of low testosterone. Besides, hair loss while on TRT is a result of imbalances of hormones other than testosterone.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
TRT has made me hairier. Looking at pictures of now and 5 years ago my wife comments about my hairy chest and eek..back.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
TRT has made me hairier. Looking at pictures of now and 5 years ago my wife comments about my hairy chest and eek..back.
What is TRT? I've been looking for something for hair growth. Can women use it?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hormone therapy. I'm half kidding because I'm not an ape (lol), but definitely hairier than ever. I've always had a healthy head of hair so that isn't affected.

My point really is that TRT doesn't automatically make people lose hair.

UncleSarm

UncleSarm

Awards
  • Established
I'm 46 and been training since I was 18 with some time off along the way. As I got older, my workouts became more efficient and I moved to more compound movements. I also took on martial form of tai chi and yoga. These days weight training is body weight and kettlebells and do workouts I can perform at home.
I have been working on goals like single-arm push-ups and wide grip pull-ups. I am almost close to being able to crank out 10 full single-arm push-ups, each one from nose-on-the-floor. With pull ups, I am almost close to being able to crank out 10 full pull ups, each from a dead drop. Legs have always been easy for me, so I can knock out pistols.
Other than that, I look in the mirror. If I like what I see, I'm golden. I no longer care how much I (or anyone else) can bench press, and I especially am not impressed with those bench rats that have little stick-pin legs and no lats.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is TRT? I've been looking for something for hair growth. Can women use it?
Hair growth or something to improve strength and appearance of scalp hair? Former do not know. Latter try a silica. I used this one http://www.orgono.co/ since 2012 and it has made scalp hair thicker-so says barber, mom and GF. The three people who touch my hair.

NB: But, knowing you from your posts I guess you maybe be facetious on this one. You are Asian correct? Never seen an Asian women who did not have awesome hair.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Talking about "then" and "now", In my youth I was build like a gymnast, with 40 I looked like a sumo wrestler, now with 47- I look like a 19th century circus strongmen.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Talking about "then" and "now", In my youth I was build like a gymnast, with 40 I looked like a sumo wrestler, now with 47- I look like a 19th century circus strongmen.
You do look like a Ringling Bros or Barnum and Baily Strongman from that era.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
I lifted when I was young..on and off..quit when I got married at 28...was doing 5 by 5 at 290 at the time ( drank like a fish on the weekends).. Started lifting again at 40.. Within a couple months was working out with 315.. I'm 49 now with a 435 bench..lifted when I was younger trying to emulate my older brother who briefly competed..now I lift cuz I love it..got my son addicted..hopefully he'll be making a name for himself shortly

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strong bench man.

FINAFLEX REP

Visit our website at
FINAFLEX.com
@RegisterJr on
Twitter and Instagram.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IN....

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think the hair loss thing has something to do with DHT conversion and certain follicles being effected. Some do some don't.
Also, I have no idea what the difference might be, but body hair (is actually fur) since it does not grow longer per se and need cut, like the hair on our head or beard. So those follicles, might react differently to the effects.

I have also heard by some, that if one is using a TRT topical cream, putting it on areas of the skin with less hair follicles, has less conversion to DHT!? Now it does not mean to shave the area, as you would still have follicles in that area.

I think there is also a thread on this site that has some good info on DHT. Which apparently is not all bad as some might think.
I'm 58 and have been tearing it up for 35 years now.