Low T, what to expect?

jamieruggiero

Awards
I'm 35 years old, and I went to my primary for some issues and concerns. I ended up having blood work taken and the docs concerns where low overall T, high triglycerides, and very low vitamin d.

My overall test she said was 227, my cholesterol was in the 300s, and my vitamin d was a 10..
I have a appt in May for a endocrinologist, from experience what do you guys believe will happen?
I went to primary for depression, I'm always tired, and though I perform ok for the wife, I have little desire, and these are reasons I went to the dr.
I'm all over the place with this post, I'm just looking to what might happen and to expect.
I'm not opposed to TRT, cause I'm sick of feeling like crap, and will do whatever to stop feeling like this.

Thanks In advance.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, a good endo is going to run full labs and look at a lifestyle evaluation to see what can be done to increase your test, vitD and address lipids naturally. You will choose to do this because it is the right approach and then if there are still issues, then TRT and supplementation may be next.

A bad endo is going to put you on TRT right away.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree with above^^^^. In the meantime get some vitamin D3 and dose it at 5000 IU per day. My Vitamin D level is 21 and this is one change my doc made. Your endo's testing may show other deficiencies.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Well, a good endo is going to run full labs and look at a lifestyle evaluation to see what can be done to increase your test, vitD and address lipids naturally. You will choose to do this because it is the right approach and then if there are still issues, then TRT and supplementation may be next.

A bad endo is going to put you on TRT right away.
Yep. Treating the symptoms not the causation. Typical doctor approach.

muscletank

muscletank

Awards
I hope getting your testosterone blood level up will help you regain your mojo and stamina. But testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is no magic solution and a cure-for-all. Some men expect huge differences right away and get easily discouraged.
To answer the question about how long TRT, a group of researchers reviewed a lot of the TRT studies published to date. Here is what they found:

Effects on sexual interest appear after 3 weeks plateauing at 6 weeks, no further increments beyond.

Changes in erections/ejaculations may require up to 6 months.

Effects on quality of life manifest within 3-4 weeks, but maximum benefits take longer.

Effects on depressive mood appear after 3-6 weeks with a maximum after 18-30 weeks.

First effects on erythropoiesis (increased red blood cells) after 3 months, peaking at 9-12 months.

Prostate specific antigen and volume rise, marginally, plateauing at 12 months; further increase related to aging rather than therapy.

Effects on lipids appear after 4 weeks, maximal after 6-12 months.

Insulin sensitivity may improve within few days, but effects on glycemic control become evident only after 3-12 months.

Changes in fat mass, lean body mass and muscle strength occur within 12-16 weeks, stabilize at 6-12 months, but marginally continue to improve over years.

Effects on inflammation occur within 3 to 12 weeks.

Effects on bone detectable after 6 months but continue at least for 3 years.

So, as you can see, you have to be patient.

DB1219

Awards
Regarding your high cholesterol: Take some time to learn about Triglycerides, HDL, LDL. There is more to the story than just HDL=good/LDL=bad. Do this before you take a statin drug. Doctors are quick to prescribe them but the sides can be worse. I cannot do the subject justice in just this post. Happy to point you to some great information sources. TIP: Do not just google cholesterol and read one generic description laden with conventional wisdom.

jamieruggiero

Awards
So I have a update on this post I made a lil while back..
I went to endo, I had more lab work done.
He said I am prediabetic

my T went from the 200 range down to 100s within a month.

I am having a MRI done on my pituitary gland, also for now he is starting me on
100mg a week test cypionate shots weekly.

I have looked up a personal trainer, and as of June 1st will be working with him to bring my weight down and stay active.

I'll do my best to keep this board posted, and to posibly get some positive feedback.

thanks again for all the links above and articles..

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So I have a update on this post I made a lil while back..
I went to endo, I had more lab work done.
He said I am prediabetic

my T went from the 200 range down to 100s within a month.

I am having a MRI done on my pituitary gland, also for now he is starting me on
100mg a week test cypionate shots weekly.

I have looked up a personal trainer, and as of June 1st will be working with him to bring my weight down and stay active.

I'll do my best to keep this board posted, and to posibly get some positive feedback.

thanks again for all the links above and articles..
I'm glad our taking the steps to attain an improved lifestyle. Keep us updated as I am interested

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That's awesome jamieruggiero! Take the steps needed for a positive change and make them small at first. You WILL succeed!!

jamieruggiero

Awards
I'm going into week 4, of my trt...
the dose is only 100mg weekly, but I for about a week had itchy nipples and they were warm.. The last few days my face has been hot too..
I have contacted my endo and left messages with nurses and haven't heard anything all week..
I bought some erase pro in the mean time with hopes that it will get rid of this issue.. I'm thinking they are from estrogen levels going up..
Been doing to gym a month now as well, I have been doing circuit training and cardio 5 days a week, under supervision of a trainer.
I figured I would loose wight, but I'm actually gaining it, I had dropped from 260 to 253, now I'm 266, scale says 26% bf...

So that's my update on week 4ish..

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
100 mgs is the "normal" starting dose for TRT and most guys stay close to that. Don't get caught up in how much you're taking. As long as you're feeling good and your blood levels are good, that's all that matters.

As far as the itchy nipples, sounds like high E2. If the erase pro doesn't work, you can try DIM, zinc, I3C or get a script for an AI.

Now as far as the weight gain, how's your diet been? If you're eating clean, staying hydrated and giving it 100% in the gym then you should be losing, but high E2 can cause weight gain so it could be from that. The important thing is DONT GIVE UP!!!!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
My cuz is 37 and had issues, he takes 50mg test 2x a week and a supplement daily that has 50mg armistane. 5000iu vd and started eating pretty clean, lean meat vegies and lots of health fats. Avocado coconut oil and pistachios. He feels like a million bucks. I dont have low t but i recently started eating that way and upped my vd and running some dermacrine and i feel amazing. I think u just need to make a few tweeks. Your on the right track

berazzled

berazzled

Awards
  • Established
Is this guy still around? Would be interested in seeing what became of his issues.

jamieruggiero

Awards
I have to confess, I had a opportunity to try tren, and I took 200mg tren, with my 100mg test cypionate.. I stopped the tren, 4 weeks before my blood test and my levels were high 1300 for total and over 400 for free, so my endo cut me back to 80mg test...
I feel great now.. and I look forward, to continue getting healthy, and feeling great..

JG93

JG93

Awards
Glad to Hear it! How is the weight coming? I noticed when i started a cutting cycle, I gained before i lost, Then lost a lot!
I am not on TRT, but definitely keep reading into in the case i ever have to.
Good luck Jamie!

jamieruggiero

Awards
I actually stayed between 250 and 260.. but I went from a tape measure of 45" around my belly measured at the naval down to 38.. so I'm loosing some gut atleast... I haven't worked out in close to a month.. I took a injury to the lower ribs, doing some bjj, but I'm going back this week.. so I'm hoping beING more diligent in the gym and frequency will help show some more definition, and keep me healthy.

JG93

JG93

Awards
I actually stayed between 250 and 260.. but I went from a tape measure of 45" around my belly measured at the naval down to 38.. so I'm loosing some gut atleast... I haven't worked out in close to a month.. I took a injury to the lower ribs, doing some bjj, but I'm going back this week.. so I'm hoping beING more diligent in the gym and frequency will help show some more definition, and keep me healthy.
Work into it slowly, I broke 5 ribs on one side.
It was miserable that year. Zero gym.
I just got back in 4 months ago and am down 26 lbs.
Back to nearly perfect.
Careful twisting the body, and hard pulls. Lots of strain there.
Good luck man.