Does Total Testosterone Matter? ED/TRT/Androgel/

Sketch2000

Awards
Hi,

I'm a 32 y/o male with a history of long standing ED (since at least 2000).

I also have a history of fluxuations in my Test levels from the low to low normal range.

My endo has diagnosed me with Secondary Hypogonadism (I also have Subclinical Hyperthyroidism). My endo is probably the best I've seen in my life, and very reputable in my area.

To make a long story short - I've suffered from Erectile Dysfunction and lack of libido since 2000!
Its horrible!

In 2005 I was placed on Testim and began feeling great! However, within 8 months the treatment was discontinued as my Test levels reached the "limit" (within range) but no PCT was implemented. Again, I went "limp".

I did have some Androderm treatment in 2009 (I believe) - which again, helped. But that too was discontinued due to insurance issues.

From 2012 to just recently. I used Clomid as TRT. This was primarily due to my insurance issues (my insurance not covering Androderm, Androgel, etc.) It worked VERY WELL at first - I'd say the first 3 months I was "back".

My lab reports reflected an increase in Total Test. My Free test stayed about where it usually does which is 50% of the range.

But over time the Clomid wasn't as effective. I was also concerned as Its not a drug used for TRT (although it can be) and if i use Androderm or something in the future I would need the Clomid to "restart" (natural production) and didn't want to risk it not being as effective as I've used it for so long.

So....My insurance finally covered Androgel. I discontinued the Clomid and began Androgel last week on the 12th. LAST WEEK WAS GREAT! My energy, Mood, Focus, and Libido were back! I exercised 3 days, ran a mile on my days off! I felt incredible!

But on Friday my libido was gone! I've seen Sex Therapists and been thru all of that BS and the bottom line is if i take TRT and feel good then that's what i need. My energy and motivation is still pretty good, I've just been feeling down because the libido returning has always been my main concern and now that i don't feel like i did last week Its made me a little depressed.

My initial thoughts are that since I'm now getting Test externally my natural production has shut down and therefore it'll take a while for the Androgel to get my levels to a point where I feel like i did the first week - What do you guys think?

I'm scheduled for labs in 4 weeks since the start date.

Anyway, the reason I put "Does Total Testosterone Matter" in my title. Is because yesterday morning I created a "Hormone Log Spreadsheet".

I literally went thru ALL MY LABS since 2002 and listed them (all hormone labs).

Thyroid, Test, Free Test, LH, FSH, Cortisol, SHBG, The whole gang!

What i found after i finished the log (took a few hours) is that my Free test has always been "normal" - Its actually been HIGH in some cases. But its my Total Test that has been fluctuating from low to low normal and when i use TRT - its my Total Test that increases (before i began Clomid for TRT my Total Test was around 360, within a month it was over 600!)

So....Since Total Test is bound to SBHG and "they" (even my endo) has stated its not "Free" in the body to be used - does it really matter? Because it definitely seems to matter in my case!

As for the Androgel - I apply it every morning - try to keep it as close to the same time everyday. I don't always shower before i apply it, because I've showered the night before. Biggest draw back is not being able to workout, sweat, bathe, swim, etc. for 5 hours - I live close to the water. I'm curious if i can apply it at night??

Any info would help. I have long standing ED issues and this is the only thing that has a track record of helping. I'm unsure what happened for me to lose that "drive" last Friday (I've thought of everything from Food to Supplements, etc.). My erections have also not been as full as they were the first week - my only logical explanation is natural test production is (or already has) shut down and i need to wait.

Also, I'm still taking my Tribulus. Should I stop?

I'm currently using 5g (1%) daily.

Sketch

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
A couple thoughts... My endo pushed the gel but I was firm on injections. I sweat all day and am often in the pool and I didn't want to lose the gel. I'd start there. Also, tribulus did nothing for me as per blood work, and many guys on here will agree.
Also the sex thing may also be mental. I'd let the test do its thing for awhile and reevaluate. Keep your mind out of it

Sketch2000

Awards
A couple thoughts... My endo pushed the gel but I was firm on injections. I sweat all day and am often in the pool and I didn't want to lose the gel. I'd start there. Also, tribulus did nothing for me as per blood work, and many guys on here will agree.
Also the sex thing may also be mental. I'd let the test do its thing for awhile and reevaluate. Keep your mind out of it
Thanks bro.
I've seen a few sex therapists so I'm ruling the mental thing out. Bottom line is if i take TRT and "feel better" (libido is back) you gotta connect the dots.
I've pushed the injections too....but my endo is pretty firm on the gel, but I'm going to let some time pass before I try pushing it again. I'd like to see my labs in 3 weeks and go from there.

Thanks again.
Sketch

Sketch2000

Awards
Can I use the Androgel at night?
Hate using it in the AM or when i get up and having to wait 5-6 hours to hit the gym or be able to sweat.

Sketch

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Clomid isn't prescribed to be used for long term. Generally a few months at most to get you going and then ween you off with the expectations that you will start to naturally produce test. You obviously would benefit from TRT, but I understand the route taken considering you were diagnosed secondary.

You don't mention what your e2 levels are or were in any of this. That is important to know if you are suffering from libido issues.

To answer your question. Yes, total test matters, but it is just part of the picture. Free test is equally, if not more important, but the ratio to total is as well.

Have your doctor check your pregnenolone and DHEA levels. If they are low or below mid range, that can have a direct effect on libido. You want them at the high mid to high normal range.

Sketch2000

Awards
Clomid isn't prescribed to be used for long term. Generally a few months at most to get you going and then ween you off with the expectations that you will start to naturally produce test. You obviously would benefit from TRT, but I understand the route taken considering you were diagnosed secondary.

You don't mention what your e2 levels are or were in any of this. That is important to know if you are suffering from libido issues.

To answer your question. Yes, total test matters, but it is just part of the picture. Free test is equally, if not more important, but the ratio to total is as well.

Have your doctor check your pregnenolone and DHEA levels. If they are low or below mid range, that can have a direct effect on libido. You want them at the high mid to high normal range.
Thank you. I agree with what you said about Clomid. Its unfortunate I had to use it as long as I did. I also had no weening off - just discontinued a few days before beginning the Androgel.

My Estrogen levels have been checked - a few years ago - and they were fine.

Everything (obviously) needs to be checked again. I get a full thyroid panel and Total/Free Test, FSH, and LH done every 6 months...but I understand that's only a small part of the picture. Every once in a while I'll have other hormones done as well - like the ones you mentioned above and Cortisol, Prolactin, etc...