1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

A silent killer?

After 25plus years of training i have learned my training days are to end, and im gutted.

I had recently a CT scan for something which i wont go into here but in passing the results showed a thoracic aortic aneurysm http://www.bupa.co.uk/ind...oracic-aortic-aneurysm
    If you take a look at the BUPA website , youll see conditions which can cause this condition , i dont fit in to anyof them I have normal BP and my cholestrol is 3.6 which is low.
    The only link is weight training i can think of , which causes temporary high blood pressure when lifting weights -i guess over the years a weak spot has developed in the aorta and got worse as the years go on.

There is no national screening programme for this condition here in the UK and it is three times more common in men than in women over 50.So its feasible that there are many people out there who may have the condition but not know they have.Its only when youre scanned for something else that this may come to light.

At the moment its a watch and waiting game for me and anything intense exercise that raises blood pressure is out.

I dont want to scare anyone by this post , but i would advise talking to your doctor if you have any concerns and if you are pushing weights , remember youre not 18, your body is beginning to wear out as you age. When the aneurysm reaches a certain size , surgery is required Rupture can be fatal.

i just wonder if anyone else has this and their medical practioner has allowed them to train but using light weights? thanks.

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%

Thank you for the post. My ego was telling me to skip my deload week that starts tomorrow and just jump into my next program. I know I need it and this post helps me to appreciate time off a bit more
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.9%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Sorry to hear of this Corsa. I think these types of cardio conditions are more common than we think within the lifting/bodybuilding community.. I think hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is more common than aneurism in older athletes, but I'd be interested to hear what the experts say.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.06%

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Sorry to hear of this Corsa. I think these types of cardio conditions are more common than we think within the lifting/bodybuilding community.. I think hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is more common than aneurism in older athletes, but I'd be interested to hear what the experts say.
    thanks

Similar Forum Threads

1. Blood Pressure- Silent Killer
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-17-2006, 05:06 AM
  2. silent post for our troops going to war..
    By BigAl in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 11:58 AM
  3. Killer Ab routine
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-25-2003, 11:58 PM
  4. diet killers!!
    By sage in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2002, 11:28 AM