A silent killer?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
After 25plus years of training i have learned my training days are to end, and im gutted.

I had recently a CT scan for something which i wont go into here but in passing the results showed a thoracic aortic aneurysm http://www.bupa.co.uk/ind...oracic-aortic-aneurysm
If you take a look at the BUPA website , youll see conditions which can cause this condition , i dont fit in to anyof them I have normal BP and my cholestrol is 3.6 which is low.
The only link is weight training i can think of , which causes temporary high blood pressure when lifting weights -i guess over the years a weak spot has developed in the aorta and got worse as the years go on.

There is no national screening programme for this condition here in the UK and it is three times more common in men than in women over 50.So its feasible that there are many people out there who may have the condition but not know they have.Its only when youre scanned for something else that this may come to light.

At the moment its a watch and waiting game for me and anything intense exercise that raises blood pressure is out.

I dont want to scare anyone by this post , but i would advise talking to your doctor if you have any concerns and if you are pushing weights , remember youre not 18, your body is beginning to wear out as you age. When the aneurysm reaches a certain size , surgery is required Rupture can be fatal.

i just wonder if anyone else has this and their medical practioner has allowed them to train but using light weights? thanks.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Thank you for the post. My ego was telling me to skip my deload week that starts tomorrow and just jump into my next program. I know I need it and this post helps me to appreciate time off a bit more

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear of this Corsa. I think these types of cardio conditions are more common than we think within the lifting/bodybuilding community.. I think hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is more common than aneurism in older athletes, but I'd be interested to hear what the experts say.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear of this Corsa. I think these types of cardio conditions are more common than we think within the lifting/bodybuilding community.. I think hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is more common than aneurism in older athletes, but I'd be interested to hear what the experts say.
thanks