Not Growing So Had The Bloodwork Done...Need Advice/Interpretatio

jimbosoko

Awards
This was great (the bloodwork)...five minutes in and out and exactly as described in this forum, with results in two days. I do show low and high in a few areas...I am wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on these. I got the test not because I am doing cycles of PH or steroids, but because I have tried multiple diets, workouts, intervals, etc.....and I do not seem to be growing at all. My macros are spot on, and I have played with these also to no avail. So...I got this primarily to see if anything might be going on inside that is preventing things from growing. I am a male, 40 years old, 5'6" and 152 pounds, 9.5% BF.

Thank you in advance for an thoughts, interpretations, advice in advance.

[h=1]RDW 12.2 Reference interval 12.3-15.4 (Low)[/h]Bun/Creatinine Ratio 21 Reference interval 9-20 (High)
AST (SGOT) 55 Reference interval 0-40 (high)
ALT (SGPT) 66 Reference interval 0-44 (High)
Testoterone Serum 239 Reference interval 348-1197 (Low)

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
but because I have tried multiple diets, workouts, intervals, etc.....and I do not seem to be growing at all.
I can't say for sure, but the above statement can ring of inconsistency in training and diet and be a pretty big reason gains do not seem to be present.

-What type of W/O's?
-How long have you stayed on a single specific program or routine?
-What basic exercises?
-How many times per week?
-Any strength gains?
-Specific diet?
-What are your outside the gym work/activities?
-Have you been checked by a doc blood tests etc.?

To add, if you are trying to lose weight while adding muscle, gains can be somewhat hidden by overall body size loss or weight redistribution to other areas etc. etc. lean mass compared to BF is smaller pound for pound too.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Testosterone is low (obviously). I'm 52 and doc told me lower end to recommend TRT is 250. Maybe add the female hormone panel to get an idea of all hormone levels.

Also agree that you may be switching up your diet and lifting programs too often. Slow and steady wins the race at older age. IMHO

jimbosoko

Awards
Thank you for the thoughts...here is the additional information.

-What type of W/O's?
I lift 5 days a week, one-two muscle groups a day...one or two days of light cardio. Workouts consist of the core compound movements, along with isolation exercises. Workouts do not last any longer than about an hour.

-How long have you stayed on a single specific program or routine?
I have been on three different programs over two years.

-What basic exercises?
Bench, incline bench, deadlifts, squats, dips, pullups, tricep extensions, french curls, bicep curls, military press, lateral raise, lat pulldowns, rows...pretty much all of the usual suspects. I will occasionally mix up barbell with dumbell work

-How many times per week?
5 days

-Any strength gains?
Some the first year....not much in the past year

-Specific diet?
I am 5'6" and 152...my calculations put me at about 2900 cals per day to build. I have tried 2700 cals, up to 3300 cals. At the high end I put on fat quickly. Macros are 30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat. I have also played with these....too high on carbs and I put on fat quickly. I eat very clean and similar foods at my 6 meal intervals 6.5 days of the week...and take one cheat meal a week.

-What are your outside the gym work/activities?
Office work during the week, outside yard work on the weekend

Had the full female panel done through labcorp. I posted the results that show high a low on the original thread...the rest of the readings were in range.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
-Any strength gains?
Some the first year....not much in the past year
One thing to remember is, at first, gains come pretty easy and as the body adapts, you have to keep trying to add either weight to the bar and or reps to the exercises. I know that is easier said than done, especially at 40 and especially after you have been at it for a while and you gain BF fairly easy. That said, #3 pounds of lean meat, ie: muscle, does not sound like much at all, but try and eat 3 pounds of chicken. A 3-5 pound muscle gain in a year, while trying to stay trim. is darn good gains for a 40y/o IMO. Just sayin'

Had the full female panel done through labcorp.
Female? Did I miss something maybe!?!? :)

vassille

Awards
This was great (the bloodwork)...five minutes in and out and exactly as described in this forum, with results in two days. I do show low and high in a few areas...I am wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on these. I got the test not because I am doing cycles of PH or steroids, but because I have tried multiple diets, workouts, intervals, etc.....and I do not seem to be growing at all. My macros are spot on, and I have played with these also to no avail. So...I got this primarily to see if anything might be going on inside that is preventing things from growing. I am a male, 40 years old, 5'6" and 152 pounds, 9.5% BF.

[h=1]RDW 12.2 Reference interval 12.3-15.4 (Low)[/h]Bun/Creatinine Ratio 21 Reference interval 9-20 (High)
AST (SGOT) 55 Reference interval 0-40 (high)
ALT (SGPT) 66 Reference interval 0-44 (High)
Testoterone Serum 239 Reference interval 348-1197 (Low)
Looks like you are dehydraded a little, and your liver value are eleveted slightly as well. Testosterone is low. Do you have any medical history of any kind?

jimbosoko

Awards
Thanks for the responses. Not much in the way of medical history...all healthy in myself and my family. I may have been a bit dehydrated due to the fasting...it is possible.

I went to the regular doc after this to get a regular physical...and they did the full blood work for that. They did the full T test...not just the serum. They called yesterday and said all looks ok, except for a bit higher cholesterol. I have not seen the results, but can't imagine the serum T test would show way low...and the full T test would show normal. So I am waiting to see the actual test to see what it comes in at. I wonder if he will be one of the doctors that just won't mess with T....we will see.

jimbosoko

Awards
Yes...this was a blood drawn T test. The doc called back and said my total T was 638 (they said the range is 342 - ???...and it was in the middle of the range)....so according to this test the T is ok.

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
Yes...this was a blood drawn T test. The doc called back and said my total T was 638 (they said the range is 342 - ???...and it was in the middle of the range)....so according to this test the T is ok.
I just checked my old blood work...range is 241>827, every labs seems to have their own limits. Your first draw showed 239 and this one 638 ? 348> 1197, first one under range and second one shows mid-range.

vassille

Awards
I believe there are two kinds of ranges they use, so you have to check this lab range and see which one they used.