Good read on health issues effected by steroid use

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I stumbled across this and I found it very informative. I had a heart attack mid cycle last February (500ml test-e ew). No blockages were found nor real health related causes got it were found either. The cardiologist said my blood was pumping slow like molasses. Turns out that polycythemia is a condition that can be caused by high level steroid use and its symptoms are exactly the same as what I experienced which lead to what they called a "minor heart attack". My cardiologist told me that my testosterone use was not likely the contributor yet I find this evidence that proves otherwise and describes my symptoms to a T, and that the likely cause may have been this condition completely overlooked by my cardiologist. Anyway, there is alot of good info this guy writes to look into if you have any heart issues or other concerns related to your TRT or bodybuilding steroid use.

http://thinksteroids.com/articles/monitoring-testosterone-replacement-therapy/

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I stumbled across this and I found it very informative. I had a heart attack mid cycle last February (500ml test-e ew). No blockages were found nor real health related causes got it were found either. The cardiologist said my blood was pumping slow like molasses. Turns out that polycythemia is a condition that can be caused by high level steroid use and its symptoms are exactly the same as what I experienced which lead to what they called a "minor heart attack". My cardiologist told me that my testosterone use was not likely the contributor yet I find this evidence that proves otherwise and describes my symptoms to a T, and that the likely cause may have been this condition completely overlooked by my cardiologist. Anyway, there is alot of good info this guy writes to look into if you have any heart issues or other concerns related to your TRT or bodybuilding steroid use.

http://thinksteroids.com/articles/monitoring-testosterone-replacement-therapy/
These are truths that most true TRT patients are or should be aware of - watch your RBC, hemoglobin and hematocrit - donate blood regularly.

As true as that article is, running 500mg/w is not running TRT. A 500mg/w cycle is far above the clinical range test levels that TRT patients adhere to. Therefore you are likely, and obviously in your case, to have a far greater risk than what a clinical level true TRT patient would. You were not on TRT and were on far greater than TRT dosage.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
These are truths that most true TRT patients are or should be aware of - watch your RBC, hemoglobin and hematocrit - donate blood regularly.

As true as that article is, running 500mg/w is not running TRT. A 500mg/w cycle is far above the clinical range test levels that TRT patients adhere to. Therefore you are likely, and obviously in your case, to have a far greater risk than what a clinical level true TRT patient would. You were not on TRT and were on far greater than TRT dosage.
I obviously know I wasn't on a TRT dosage nor was I trying to insinuate I was.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, you did not. You were cycling supra-physiological levels of testosterone and had deleterious health effects and then reference a TRT article. While on a clinical level or testosterone it is very manageable and rather unlikely that someone will experience what you did, although, not impossible.

My point is that clarification is quite relevant.

Here's to good health.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
No, you did not. You were cycling supra-physiological levels of testosterone and had deleterious health effects and then reference a TRT article. While on a clinical level or testosterone it is very manageable and rather unlikely that someone will experience what you did, although, not impossible.

My point is that clarification is quite relevant.

Here's to good health.

I'm pretty sure those who read the post/article could figure it out just as you did and its relevancy towards body builder usage but thanks for that added clarification. It always helps so much ;-)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm pretty sure those who read the post/article could figure it out just as you did and its relevancy towards body builder usage but thanks for that added clarification. It always helps so much ;-)
Some folks. Good luck!

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
I,m having trouble keeping my from getting too thick from 100ml of Cyp. a week. I stay plenty hydrated and still have to keep an eye on it. I would like to add a PH or some other AAS once in a while, but not sure which ones would possibly increase my blood levels. Do all possibly add to this problem ????? Thoughts.....

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I,m having trouble keeping my from getting too thick from 100ml of Cyp. a week. I stay plenty hydrated and still have to keep an eye on it. I would like to add a PH or some other AAS once in a while, but not sure which ones would possibly increase my blood levels. Do all possibly add to this problem ????? Thoughts.....
I'm assuming you're on TRT with that low a dose. Is that doc prescribed TRT and if so does he not monitor your blood levels and/or place you on blood thinners or have you donate to control the issue?

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
I,m on DR. supervised TRT and I will have another blood test in March to see where the levels are at and go from there. I do a double red blood cell draw at the blood bank, but it can only be done every four months. I told them my issues and they told me this would do more for me than just donating the normal way. My Hemocrit was 56 when I went in with red face and neck most all the time, this was in Dec. I had a blood test done 10 days later and Hemocrit was 44, then another test 3 weeks later and it was back up to 49. I,m amazed how guys do a gram a week of test and not be as red as I am.....

I'm assuming you're on TRT with that low a dose. Is that doc prescribed TRT and if so does he not monitor your blood levels and/or place you on blood thinners or have you donate to control the issue?

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I,m on DR. supervised TRT and I will have another blood test in March to see where the levels are at and go from there. I do a double red blood cell draw at the blood bank, but it can only be done every four months. I told them my issues and they told me this would do more for me than just donating the normal way. My Hemocrit was 56 when I went in with red face and neck most all the time, this was in Dec. I had a blood test done 10 days later and Hemocrit was 44, then another test 3 weeks later and it was back up to 49. I,m amazed how guys do a gram a week of test and not be as red as I am.....
How did you go about asking for the double rbc draw? Since you can only do that every four months can you do a regular draw in between? Four months is a long time to wait in between draws.

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
The blood bank will give someone the option to do either, what I do takes about an hour. Unless Dr, authorized they will only do it every four months. I am not able to donate before the four months either way. I agree four months is a long time in between, but this is the info Ive been given...

How did you go about asking for the double rbc draw? Since you can only do that every four months can you do a regular draw in between? Four months is a long time to wait in between draws.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The blood bank will give someone the option to do either, what I do takes about an hour. Unless Dr, authorized they will only do it every four months. I am not able to donate before the four months either way. I agree four months is a long time in between, but this is the info Ive been given...
That is not entirely correct. You have to qualify.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/types-donations/double-red-blood-cells-donation
http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements

In addition to the height and weight and frequency restrictions you also need to be CMV-negative

What does it mean to have CMV negative blood? Can I still donate?

Yes! Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a common virus carried by more than half of the population. Most people who have the virus never know it and for the average, healthy person, CMV does not cause a problem. However, for patients whose immune systems are not functioning properly, (such as premature babies, cancer patients and others who cannot fight infection), CMV can be life-threatening. While testing for CMV is not universally required for all blood donations, we perform the test on a selection of donated units to make sure we have an ample supply of CMV-negative blood ready when it is needed.

http://www.unitedbloodservices.org/learnMore.aspx
Everytime I donate they always tell me I have the special blood (CMV-negative blood) and confirm (remind or invite me to because it is special) that I will be doing a double red donation.

Personally I prefer the double red for the logical conclusion: they take twice the volume of red and it's properties. Even though I can donate less frequently I feel it is more efficient and effective at controlling my blood cares. I do it for iron/ferritin as well as RBC and hematocrit control.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
David, do your blood levels actually stay more stable for the long duration opposed to what they would be if you chose to donate the regular amount more frequently? (Assuming a regular donation period would be once every 8 weeks)
If so is that common or more determined case by case?
And do you feel or notice any kind of side effects negative or positive after donation?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wish I had data. I have done it for precautions for years. None of my values have ever come back elevated.

I did just recently have my anual blood work draw. I am waiting for my results. I will be donating again here shortly. I will look into the possibility of running a CBC after to see any quantifiable significance.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to try and do bloods once before, twice during (planning a long, low dose cycle test e), and once after pct my next cycle. It'll be a couple months at least before I start but I'm going to log all my blood info. It'll be interesting to see how the donations affect blood levels. I'm not really sure how I should time the bloods, before or after donations. I think the first one should be before I pin or donatation to serve as kind of a control.

dawgdude

Awards
i just went thru this ( super hi counts ) hemoglobins 20.1 and hematacrits 57.4 ( yes walking stroke , h.a. victim) , caught them at a routine blood test . since i have been doing regular phelabotomys ( sp) all the while running 175mg test and 10mg dbol ... my counts have dramatically dropped 15.1 and 43.5 , respectively ...

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
i just went thru this ( super hi counts ) hemoglobins 20.1 and hematacrits 57.4 ( yes walking stroke , h.a. victim) , caught them at a routine blood test . since i have been doing regular phelabotomys ( sp) all the while running 175mg test and 10mg dbol ... my counts have dramatically dropped 15.1 and 43.5 , respectively ...
How often are your phlebatomies?

vassille

Awards
Because some are not genetically predisposed to your condition. I never had hemocrit problems regardless of the dosages and I never donated blood either.

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
The onle thing they did before doing this was ck. my Hemocrit level and then they asked me if I had the time to do the double draw. I have never been tested for the CMV-negative blood. Good discussion though.......

That is not entirely correct. You have to qualify.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/types-donations/double-red-blood-cells-donation
http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements

In addition to the height and weight and frequency restrictions you also need to be CMV-negative

Everytime I donate they always tell me I have the special blood (CMV-negative blood) and confirm (remind or invite me to because it is special) that I will be doing a double red donation.

Personally I prefer the double red for the logical conclusion: they take twice the volume of red and it's properties. Even though I can donate less frequently I feel it is more efficient and effective at controlling my blood cares. I do it for iron/ferritin as well as RBC and hematocrit control.

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Goof for you, it gets kinda old after about a month after I do the double I look a little sunburned in the face and neck all the time and if I get a little angry I get almost purple...

Because some are not genetically predisposed to your condition. I never had hemocrit problems regardless of the dosages and I never donated blood either.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The onle thing they did before doing this was ck. my Hemocrit level and then they asked me if I had the time to do the double draw. I have never been tested for the CMV-negative blood. Good discussion though.......
You may not know you have been tested but they test it. I would have no way of knowing otherwise.

Yes! Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a common virus carried by more than half of the population. Most people who have the virus never know it and for the average, healthy person, CMV does not cause a problem. However, for patients whose immune systems are not functioning properly, (such as premature babies, cancer patients and others who cannot fight infection), CMV can be life-threatening. While testing for CMV is not universally required for all blood donations, we perform the test on a selection of donated units to make sure we have an ample supply of CMV-negative blood ready when it is needed.

http://www.unitedbloodservices.org/learnMore.aspx
It is safe then to assume that you may not be required to be CMV-negative to donate double red. My blood is documented CMV-negative (your may or may not be documented depending upon who you donate with - their data base may or may not have your status) in their data base and is that "special" blood I was referring to for things "such as premature babies, cancer patients and others who cannot fight infection"

amateurfreak

Awards
Depending upon your hemoglobin and hematocrit levels, some donors centers will qualify you for the double red cell erythrocytapheresis donation based on those values alone. Definitely discuss it with your doctor prior and have a CBC not just your Hgb/HCT checked as that will not show the entire picture alone. O negative type patients are encouraged due to its rarity just like CMV neg. As David mentioned earlier, blood donations are also useful for controlling your iron levels which is important and often overlooked.

vassille

Awards
Goof for you, it gets kinda old after about a month after I do the double I look a little sunburned in the face and neck all the time and if I get a little angry I get almost purple...
Damn that's not good. Do you drink plenty of water?

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
I have a glass of tea or two, or a diet coke and the rest is just water. My BP is not a problem either, I,m medicated for that and it runs around 130/70. Doc. mentioned I may have to come off Test. if we cannot get this under control.... NOOOOO !!!!

Damn that's not good. Do you drink plenty of water?