Getting back into it...

cosmosis

Awards
Like the title says, 37 years old and getting back into it after 6 months or so off weights. I had two major health issues in the form of a broken left radius and ulna that required 2 surgeries (March, and June) and a bout of pneumonia that kept me out November and December.

I'm a compound, full body guy and was thinking of a bout of Starting Strength or 5 x 5.

Figured I 'd take half of my max's from before I was injured and start there:

Squat : 250 x 5
Deadlift : 350 x 5
Bench : 205 x 5
Military Press : 125 x5

Any advice is much appreciated!

cosmosis

Awards
Sorry I should have been more specific...and I just noticed this was in the anabolics section (which I'm not interested in at this time...)

Mainly just workout routine specifics, ie Starting Strength the better option than 5 x 5. Weight ranges, etc.

And it would be particularly helpful if anyone had any experience coming back off of a broken arm or pneumonia.

Thanks!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
SS and 5x5 are both great for getting back into the swing of things. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either, but even to this day 23 years of lifting later, I will mix in a 5x5 routine twice a year to break things up. So that is the direction I'd go.

I would say that you may want to ease into it a little more than pulling a 350 dead and a 250 squat coming back from time off and injuries, but you know your body.

cosmosis

Awards
Thanks bud!

Yeah, I decided to go the SS route first until I stall out and then into 5/3/1 (I made GREAT progress on that last year before my injuries) I like how you progress on 5/3/1 at a slower pace which is great for us older guys.

Now to your second point, the only reason I'm going to try SS is because I'm cutting my previous 1RM's in HALF. There's no way I'm pulling 350 anytime soon (or even ever again) after the arm injury I suffered. I have two 8 inch plates in my left arm to remind me!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, however you cut it, I am just happy to see you are focusing on compound movements. I say that because I've trained with a lot of people over the years and one of the hardest things to change is the mindset to stop focus on isolation work when building size and power.

Oh, and us old guys are smoking the young guns nowadays! I'm only 38, but there are some 50-70yo russian and dutch powerlifters I'll workout with in the gym that are still pulling 500-700lb deads. Also, I train MMA with a bunch of 20 somethings and I am one of the only guys not winded at the end of the class and ready for more.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Well, however you cut it, I am just happy to see you are focusing on compound movements. I say that because I've trained with a lot of people over the years and one of the hardest things to change is the mindset to stop focus on isolation work when building size and power.

Oh, and us old guys are smoking the young guns nowadays! I'm only 38, but there are some 50-70yo russian and dutch powerlifters I'll workout with in the gym that are still pulling 500-700lb deads. Also, I train MMA with a bunch of 20 somethings and I am one of the only guys not winded at the end of the class and ready for more.
thats because my generation (22yo) is full of phaggots and pussies lol

cosmosis

Awards
Compound routines are the only workout programs that do anything for me. I'm 6' 170 or so... ectomporph frame. I'm the type of guy who an never "get big" but just want functional strength and a good tone. Lifting heavy (as heavy as I can go) is the only thing I have tried that works.

It's also a matter of efficiency. I can do 3 weight workouts of 45 minutes and hit every major muscle group. I'm not sure it's a generational thing though. I've shared my routines with many other guys who "lift" (ie bench and curls pros) and almost all of them end up sticking with what they did previously.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IMO, it comes down to multiple things:

-knowledge. Look around your gym and you'll see that most people don't know what they are doing. They don't understand how big compound movements will build the muscles they are trying to build better than the isolation work they are doing. It's not age restricted, it's simply a lack of knowledge on how the body works. These are the same people that will simply add some protein shakes to their diets and get frustrated that they aren't making progress- no matter what the goal is.

-ease. It is a hell of a lot easier to go do a bunch of curls, tri pushdowns, leg curls, etc.. than it is to push or pull deads, cleans, squats, bench, etc

-functional vs pretty muscles. why spend time building a strong core and overall strength when all the ladies care about is a set of nice biceps. lol

cosmosis

Awards
I totally agree...

And I would say ease is the number 1 factor. Go ahead and squat or deadlift your five rep max for three sets, or in the case of 5/3/1 a max out during the last set, and tell me you don't feel crushed afterwards and even into the next morning.

Most people want nothing to do with that!

pappybay

pappybay

Awards
I totally agree...

And I would say ease is the number 1 factor. Go ahead and squat or deadlift your five rep max for three sets, or in the case of 5/3/1 a max out during the last set, and tell me you don't feel crushed afterwards and even into the next morning.

Most people want nothing to do with that!
For me age is a key factor. I simply am not willing to sustain an injury that may take me weeks and weeks to recover. For example I do leg press, a squat "machine", leg extensions versus a BB squat. I can assure you I am wiped out for the whole day.

I am open to the suggestions noted in this thread, with caution (BTW I am ectomorph and only respond to heavy weight). Regrettably I have found age matters........

cosmosis

Awards
Personally, I have not sustained any injuries at all doing squats and deadlifts. In fact, I would argue that those exercises help prevent injuries if you are involved in other kinds of team sports.

I think the key is proper form and knowing your body / not letting your ego get in the way. If you can only put one plate on the bar, then start with that. At our age (I'm assuming you're around my age, 37) progression comes slower. For instance, I started out squatting 75 lbs when I first ran SS some 4 years ago. But the key is that you build the proper base with the full body movements and everything sort of strengthens in proportion.

Perhaps, I'm lucky though...I know a ton of people who have back and knee problems, even at ages younger than mine. I have never had any.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Age is not an excuse at all. Like I said, I am 38 and whoop all the 20 year olds in my class. My dad, at 73, benches 300lbs and deads 425. He'll jump on the bike and go for a 10 mile ride on the weekends just because.

When I hear age used as reasons for anything, I simply think that person has given up in their minds.

In fact the last two summers, I have done 4 Tough mudders with two other guys I work out with, one 43 and the other 52, and we all qualified for the national run. Age is only a number and as soon as you lean on it, it becomes your crutch.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I can relate to what you're feeling coming back after health issues. Im 35 I had heart issues early last year then a motorcycle accident in october where I completely fractured my right radius (plate an 6 screws) and a couple facial fractures. Two surgeries and 4 months later after the last incident I'm back trying to get back. It's not easy and it does hurt. Good luck.

cosmosis

Awards
Man...heart issues is serious business. Best of luck with that. Has your doctor cleared you to lift?

Sounds like your arm is as bad as mine. Mine was mangled...it was like I had a new wrist four or five inches up my forearm! I too, had a plate and a bunch of screws. One thing I have noticed is that on a pull up type grip, I still have pain in my arm...on a chin up grip, I do not. I still have a ton of scar tissue. How about you?

I did squats, bench, and rows today followed by 25 on the treadmill. The weights were LIGHT, I'm talking one plate on squats, etc., 3 x 8 style. Going to follow up with a workout "B" of deadlifts, military press, and chin ups on Wednesday, again 3 x 8.

I can still almost taste the impending soreness...ha!

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I get discomfort and swelling toward the bottom of the plate. I luckily did not break both bones like you did, that has to really suck. I still can't do any chin ups its just too uncomfortable. I haven't tried pull ups again yet but I think that should be ok. Both my wrists were pretty banged up as I hit the ground hands first and did a dive roll. Wrists are actually giving me more discomfort then where the break was. Good luck on rehabbing that arm.

brahmabull

Awards
I have been hospitalized 3 times in the last year. The first time was for a mitral valve repair. The second was for a mitral valve replacement and the third time was for an emergency hematoma evacuation of my left thigh. I have had to stop my training 4 times because of my medical issues and problems. And the sad thing is that i want to get bigger, leaner, and stronger but I have been setback by all these medical issues. I mean I developed 2 hematomas because I pushed myself to get that ext ra rep. Right now I sit here typing this with a huge chunk of skin of right leg that's been shaved off covered in an adhesive dressing that looks disgusting and my other thigh is wrapped in gauze and ace bandages that has a skin graft on it. It's not fair that people like me who want to get that extra rep have to be careful or she/he could end up in the hospital. I feel like I should just give up but, what I need is help. I am 42 years old with 3 young children that needs their dad. But how can I be there for them when I am always in and out of the hospital. I feel I still have more good years left but I don't know what to do anymore.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Hang in there, brother. Don't let hopelessness creep into your situation. You've got good reasons to be upset, but 3 even better reasons to carry on. You're surgeries were pretty significant and it will take some time fully heal...but you will. Not to sound like a hippy yoga instructor..but you have to work with your body and give it time.

I've had to take a year off here and there due to my wife's health issues and having to care for my daughter..all while going bankrupt. What I have found is that the training will always be there for you to come back to and when you do, your strength, size, and physique will come back very quickly. Muscle memory is not bro-science, IMO. I've gone from 190 to 162 several times and am currently working my way back to 190 from a long lifting hiatus (because I had to work non-stop for a year to catch up financially).

In any case, doing a much lighter routine might be the way to go. It doesn't have the psychological oomph that heavier routines have, but its something.

brahmabull

Awards
Thanks bioman for the kind words. I had a hard time in the past accepting that I still have limitations going against me. I needed a little encouragement from someone out there who's had setbacks too in their training and have had to claw their way back to training. It just sucks and I know I'm whining again but, my determination has been more of a downfall than a driving force. You're also right that I need to decrease my intensity so I don't end in this situation again. But, can I still make gains?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
That will be tougher, but you can certainly do some fantastic cutting. During the year I had to take off, my job required me to hike about 400 miles per month. I basically kept my protein intake steady, but did intermittent fasting as my situation wouldnt always allow me to eat when I wanted to. I dropped down to the low 160's, but I was kind of amazed at how much muscle I retained. I got lean and mean and it was kinda fun despite the fact I longed to get back in the gym and throw some iron around.

Phasing into cardio, with your Dr's approval of course, might re-focus your goals and allow your body the time to heal up.

brahmabull

Awards
One of the biggest mistakes I made this last time I got injured was using glucosamine chondriton and msm while taking coumadin. I have to take coumadin due to my mechanical valve. It interacts with coumadin by increasing it's anticoagulation effect. Also, I did cardio before my training and it was kind of intense ( above 65% of my vo2). I would do heavy cardio then kill my legs right after that. That's what happened which caused the pain in my leg which led to my hematoma days later. The thing rhat ticks me off is that the media promotes motivation and drive to get fit and healthy. The media bashes people who procastinates and celebritize people who can do all these things cause they don't have a limb or two. But, other than their physical handicap, they are considered healthy. It's the motto of "if he can do it, then so can I". But, no one ever takes into consideration people like me. It just pisses me off. By the way, I have nothing against anyone who trains with a physical disabilty-more power to ya. I know what it's like to not be able to walk or lose complete feeling or movement in a limb. I went through that a month ago.