Normal Test level???

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
My test level came back at 487. The doctor said that is normal for a 40 year old. I did a little research and that seems like it kind of low.

BJE

BJE

Awards
My test level came back at 487. The doctor said that is normal for a 40 year old. I did a little research and that seems like it kind of low.
That's about where mine was when I started TRT. I however have high SHBG which causes low free test. My free test was below the bottom of the range.

Another thing to think about is that it is normal for testosterone to decline with age, but do you want the test level of a young man or an old man? Also at age 40 diabetes is normal, high cholesterol is normal, obesity is normal, but none of these things is desirable.

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That's about where mine was when I started TRT. I however have high SHBG which causes low free test. My free test was below the bottom of the range.

Another thing to think about is that it is normal for testosterone to decline with age, but do you want the test level of a young man or an old man? Also at age 40 diabetes is normal, high cholesterol is normal, obesity is normal, but none of these things is desirable.
Young man lol do you have to ask them to test free test? I don't see anything about it in my labs results.

BJE

BJE

Awards
Young man lol do you have to ask them to test free test? I don't see anything about it in my labs results.
Yes, free test is an additional test. Usually when free test is tested they measure total testosterone and sex hormone binding globulin and then calculate the free test. Bioavailable testosterone is usually included as well, which is the free test plus the albumin bound test.

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yes, free test is an additional test. Usually when free test is tested they measure total testosterone and sex hormone binding globulin and then calculate the free test. Bioavailable testosterone is usually included as well, which is the free test plus the albumin bound test.
Ok I will get back in and get that lab run.