Are Back Pumps Preventable?

Josann

Awards
I am starting a 30 day cycle of dzine today. I am coming off a bridge to this of osta rx. i plan to run dzine 30 mg. Last cycle i got back pumps bad, and had to cut the cycle to 3 weeks. I used taurine but did not get relief. My other supps will be fish oil, cissus, vitamin d3, whey and creatine. I was thinking that maybe not going so heavy and maybe doing more volume/higher reps, staying away from lower back lifts i.e. no deads, bent over rows, or heavy squats might help. Hyperextensions, lunges instead. Would ibuprophen help at all?

I should also mention that I am 58 and this is my third cycle. I am especially interested in what over 50 guys do, but welcome all suggestions. Thanks.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can't say for a cycle, but I get crazy back pumps now that I am on TRT. I've moved from heavy sets to med weight and higher sets. I used to do this about every 8-12 weeks to give my body a shock and grow, but I do it a lot more now. I am a firm believer that heavy is not needed for growth and that simple stress is the best. Plus, this lessens back pumps by about 50% for me.

Krampus

Krampus

Awards
Normally 5-7g of taurine a day will prevent back pumps. Some people get away with only using 3g.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
Normally 5-7g of taurine a day will prevent back pumps. Some people get away with only using 3g.

Yeah, 6-7 grams is typical and 3 grams would be low for most, some people go higher than 7 but that takes building a tolerance.

Josann

Awards
How do you space out the dose during the day? Do you take this the entire cycle or as needed?

Josann

Awards
Yeah, 6-7 grams is typical and 3 grams would be low for most, some people go higher than 7 but that takes building a tolerance.
How do you build the tolerance? I haven't noticed any sides from it.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
How do you build the tolerance? I haven't noticed any sides from it.
Not everyone has problems, but many get hershey squirts from more than they are use to, and they have to up the doses slowly.

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
nsaids are a no no and counter productive to your goal...I would say avoid at all costs. Also I would say double the dose on Taurine as stated earlier in the thread.

Good luck!

Josann

Awards
Curious as to how old some of you guys are. To me there is a big difference fro 35 and 55, so similar ages should be dealing with similar issues and adjustments. I'm working to get back what I had at age 35!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm 38, almost 39, and don't agree. To me age is nothing but a number because I have spent my life taking care of my physical fitness and mental health. Most guys I know my age have completely let themselves fall apart and may as well be 70 with all the problems they have. Then on that note, my dad is 72 and is in the gym benching and squating 300 four days a week. He's in better shape than 25 year olds nowadays.

My point being that age doesn't mean anything when it comes to ailments and things we deal with.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
I'm 38, almost 39, and don't agree. To me age is nothing but a number because I have spent my life taking care of my physical fitness and mental health. Most guys I know my age have completely let themselves fall apart and may as well be 70 with all the problems they have. Then on that note, my dad is 72 and is in the gym benching and squating 300 four days a week. He's in better shape than 25 year olds nowadays.

My point being that age doesn't mean anything when it comes to ailments and things we deal with.
I second this, I'm 46, and I pass for 30 all the time, now I know a lot of it is genetics, but lifestyle plays a huge roll.
Remember our bodies age biologically, but we keep track of time astronomically, (one trip around the sun is a year).
The two are not the same.
I know it's a cliche, but you're only as old as you feel.
Or to quote Groucho Marx "you're only as old as the woman you feel". I like that one better.
Peace

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
I am also 46 and pass for being in my 30's all the time. Shaving my head has helped conceal my age dramatically due to the great male pattern baldness I inherited in my gene pool. Now if I could just eliminate the greys in the facial hair I would be golden.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's comical to me that I was always given a hard time for having some competition or league I was joining throughout my 20s and early 30s. "Why are you always doing something?" "whats with the competition?" "what's with all the healthy food?" etc, etc.. I always laughed about it because I never cared and I wasn't a freak about any of it, I just knew what I wanted to do.

Now, all those same people have memory problems or something because all I get asked is what I am doing and how do I look so young and ripped. LOl. Um, the same stuff you've been giving me a hard time for the last 20 years about!!

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
It's comical to me that I was always given a hard time for having some competition or league I was joining throughout my 20s and early 30s. "Why are you always doing something?" "whats with the competition?" "what's with all the healthy food?" etc, etc.. I always laughed about it because I never cared and I wasn't a freak about any of it, I just knew what I wanted to do.

Now, all those same people have memory problems or something because all I get asked is what I am doing and how do I look so young and ripped. LOl. Um, the same stuff you've been giving me a hard time for the last 20 years about!!
I've lived this story.
Peace

Josann

Awards
I agree. At 58 I work out daily and have practiced karate steadily since 1990.I've had knee surgery, foot surgery and hip replacement along the way so I get it. I was referring to differences in how ph's are used, and adjustments to training. Once you stop competing, even if it's with yourself, you're done.

Josann

Awards
Been dosing the taurine at 7 grams spaced out during the day. I start with 4 grams upon waking as I work out at 5AM. Seems to be working great. Thanks for the advice and input.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established

I totally agree with this^.

Josann

Awards
I totally agree with this^.
Yes I agree. I've been lifting pretty steadily since 1967 and even when not lifting I've worked out everyday with some sort of of exercise. My point was that if you are going to continue you MUST make adjustments and adapt to changing internal processes. Consistency and avoiding injuries and forced layoffs are key. I was asking what adjustments with exercises, reps, equipment, diet, supps, and prohormones guys have had success with.I'd like to hear from guys like kisaj's dad for example who clearly would understand where I am coming from.

Hookbeard

Hookbeard

Awards
No offence to anyone who is recommending Taurine but you need to be careful when taking Taurine for the following reasons: 1. Beta alanine counteracts taurine's effectiveness by acting as a Taurine transport anatagonist (see: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8599026 ) Therefore taking the two together is a waste of time. 2. The study is also interesting for a second reason in that it shows that Taurine plus salt can cause hypernatremia (this doesnt happen when either Taurine or salt is ingested alone). Obviously no one wants to have hypernatremia so you might want to be extra cautious over your intake of salt when taking high levels of Taurine like this. I believe that the general cause of most cramps is due to an electroyte imbalance (more specifically, the inappropriate opening of calcium channels which are resonsible for muscle tone). Therefore taking a good multivitamin can be a good place to start. For example, if you were taking something like trenbolone the cause of the cramps I believe is related to agonism of the ryanodine receptor causing a calcium "leakage" which can be rectified with supplemental magnesium. So it does depend on what you are taking as to what to take to remedy the cramps sometimes but Taurine, plus multivitamins plus magnesium covers most of bases for the difference causes of cramps.(apologies for the link but I cant put the www in it because ive not got 50 posts)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Adjustment is the key, no doubt. Putting ego in check and doing what is best for you.

My dad is a different guy to say the least, but instilled good health and fitness mentality into us growing up. Very hardcore Hungarian with an old school mentality. He would never think about touching any steroid, prohormone, or anything remotely close. Played football at Ohio State, then joined the Army and went into the Special Forces after he escaped Hungary in 1956, and then spent the last 40 years as a pipefitter. His belief is that my mom's heavy cooking, never thinking about his age, and working out everyday whether it be in the gym or lifting pipes over and over, is a way of life. It's not even working out, it's just living.