Total test 279

F

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
I'm turning 33, however I wanted to post here figuring you guys might be more knowledgable in this subject. I had a testosterone test at my doctors office it came back 279- total test. Which seems incredibly low. However, he said it was fine. I'm doubting him, what do you guys think?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm turning 33, however I wanted to post here figuring you guys might be more knowledgable in this subject. I had a testosterone test at my doctors office it came back 279- total test. Which seems incredibly low. However, he said it was fine. I'm doubting him, what do you guys think?
if he said it was 20, or said it was 2000, does that change how you feel? Its just a number. What the raw # is matters far less than what you have for feelings + symptoms.

F

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
I went in for the test because I was always feeling tired. Libido was down, slightly depressed feeling. However , he felt there was no problem with test. Than I saw the chart that said normal
Was 262-1593 and I thought " how is that normal" ... Technically ok it is, but seems pretty much on the nothing end.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that is low enough that many doctors would treat it. was this at your general practicioner?

F

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
that is low enough that many doctors would treat it. was this at your general practicioner?
Yes general doctor.

I am starting a 500 mg a week test cycle in about 2 months. Now, I'm wondering if I should look into more longer treatment/doses/therapy?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes general doctor.

I am starting a 500 mg a week test cycle in about 2 months. Now, I'm wondering if I should look into more longer treatment/doses/therapy?

I would. Your best bet (depending on insurance) would be to try for an endocrinologist, but if you can't get an appointment in a reasonable time frame a urologist will usually work fine. Get a copy of your current bloodwork before you go in, they may have you take some additional blood tests. Do this before starting that cycle, delay it as long as you need to. Generally once you get started on TRT, the first 3-6 months will be relatively frequent blood tests, so you won't be able to cycle then. After that, its once or twice a year.

F

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
I have a doctor appt tommorow for routine test. How can I bring this up? My doc knows I'm a gym rat, so I don't want to make it seem like I'm looking for a hookup.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a doctor appt tommorow for routine test. How can I bring this up? My doc knows I'm a gym rat, so I don't want to make it seem like I'm looking for a hookup.
well, but you aren't. you have a legitimate blood test showing low levels, and want to follow up to make sure no other hormones are out of whack. Look at the lists of symptoms and see if it does fit you

http://www.nowloss.com/low-testosterone-symptoms.htm

and tell your doctor you want more follow up. Most GPs are fine with referring you off to a urologist at least, if not an endocrinologist.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just a side comment- that is an incredible range on that test. I have not heard of anything like that.

grappler22

grappler22

Awards
I would. Your best bet (depending on insurance) would be to try for an endocrinologist, but if you can't get an appointment in a reasonable time frame a urologist will usually work fine. Get a copy of your current bloodwork before you go in, they may have you take some additional blood tests. Do this before starting that cycle, delay it as long as you need to. Generally once you get started on TRT, the first 3-6 months will be relatively frequent blood tests, so you won't be able to cycle then. After that, its once or twice a year.
Good info. here ^^^

F

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
I will be talking to doc agin about this. I just don't see a point in starting a cycle if your natural test is so low to begin with. It's just a matter of time before I lose all my gains because my body can't hold any of it.

burlyman

burlyman

Awards
Just a side comment- that is an incredible range on that test. I have not heard of anything like that.
Agreed. I usually see 250-1000 or 300-1100. Nearly 1600 is considered normal by a test?? lol. Wow.

T

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
I went in for the test because I was always feeling tired. Libido was down, slightly depressed feeling. However , he felt there was no problem with test. Than I saw the chart that said normal
Was 262-1593 and I thought " how is that normal" ... Technically ok it is, but seems pretty much on the nothing end.
The chart is surprising for the high end which usually stops lower, say less than 1300, but it's typical on the low end for your age. The chart that I looked at for the low range was down to 240 for the low end for my age group. But scoring a 279 at your age is like getting a D- on your exam. You passed but you shouldn't go on to the next level, and you didn't really pass the level you are at either. It's a very poor normal obviously.

It's probably your age is why your doc is resistant to putting you on TRT. My doctor offered it right away when my tests came out similar to yours in that I was just a few points higher the than the bottom cut off on the chart of what's normal. I decided to put it off for a couple of years to experiment with test boosters and foods that enhance testosterone.

GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE!

Awards
... I decided to put it off for a couple of years to experiment with test boosters and foods that enhance testosterone.
Curious if anything worked. I chased supplements around for years with mixed success before giving up and switching to test.

F

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
Curious if anything worked. I chased supplements around for years with mixed success before giving up and switching to test.
I'm on the same boat. I now am holding test just waiting to start... However, im thinking what is the point of a 12 week test cycle if your body doesn't produce a decent amount of it on its own. Seems like I'll just lose it all soon after the cycle.

T

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
That test was nearly three years ago now, and with a good amount of experimenting I have gotten decent, but not super results. About 8-9 months ago I tested at 600 + using some strong boosters backed up by the right kinds of foods and supplements not considered testosterone boosters but that lay good foundations. I used Hcgenerate, with extra fenugreek (the high fenuside stuff), extra stinging nettle, and extra LJ1000. I also added tocotrienols and extra virgin coconut oil. Doubling my natural testosterone levels can be done with less effort, but trying to triple my original poor ratings in the mid 200's is difficult. It's much cheaper to go with TRT for most.

So I recently completed my very first cycle using AndroDrive at 3 caps per day along with some transdermal 11-OXO for a recomp. It worked very well in that I lost 3 pounds in 6 weeks while gaining some solid strength overall, and a lot of strength in two areas. Without anything I would have probably gained about 3-4 pounds and not done quite as well in the strength. This was a very mild cycle though.

GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE!

Awards
I'm on the same boat. I now am holding test just waiting to start... However, im thinking what is the point of a 12 week test cycle if your body doesn't produce a decent amount of it on its own. Seems like I'll just lose it all soon after the cycle.
Your probably right about that.
If your dead set on injecting yourself twice a week for the rest of your life than, you need to find a dr who will prescribe. College pharmacy has a tool to help you find a dr.
if your still on the fence trying some HCG or a serm might kickstart your own production. The serms are easy enough to get as research chems via the internet. Seems worth a try.

T

TMF LOVE

Awards
I have read the same range for test(as well as 392-1187). Mine is 472, Im 36 and I feel like chit man.

T

TMF LOVE

Awards
If you were to go on HRT indefinitely then you would be forever walking around with no balls right? Dats no bueno!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you were to go on HRT indefinitely then you would be forever walking around with no balls right? Dats no bueno!
I've been on TRT for around 3 years and they haven't shrank all that much

T

TMF LOVE

Awards
Ok, thanks man. Can you tell me how much you were taking. 200mg every two weeks?

T

TMF LOVE

Awards
Your probably right about that.
If your dead set on injecting yourself twice a week for the rest of your life than, you need to find a dr who will prescribe. College pharmacy has a tool to help you find a dr.
if your still on the fence trying some HCG or a serm might kickstart your own production. The serms are easy enough to get as research chems via the internet. Seems worth a try.
I tried that site-College pharmacy. Im not sure i was at the right one. Is there more info you could give me? Thanks

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, thanks man. Can you tell me how much you were taking. 200mg every two weeks?
200 a week. its prescribed at 150/wk but comes in separate 1ml vials, 1 per week. I hate to see it go to waste

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
200 a week and you aren't seeing atrophy? Are you using hcg?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
200 a week and you aren't seeing atrophy? Are you using hcg?
no hcg. they are a little smaller than when I started, but not a ton. maybe 10-15% smaller, and they've been that way since a month or two in. they definitely aren't shriveled raisins :)

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
no hcg. they are a little smaller than when I started, but not a ton. maybe 10-15% smaller, and they've been that way since a month or two in. they definitely aren't shriveled raisins :)
Makes sense since test producing cells only make up ~10% of testicular volume.

T

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
The "range" is not age dependant. Total B.S.
I don't care whether it's age dependent or not, but it seems that it's all over the place in different docs offices. "Total B.S." is a very harsh judgement to a very minor point.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol! No doubt, I was trying to make it bigger instead of squinting.

R

rboston22

Awards
Total test avg is 600-800 mg/Hg mm I was 237 and he put me on androge 1%l. Mine is now 837. works wonders building muscle and feel like I'm 20.

R

rboston22

Awards
If your test is that low your looking to become normal not out of the normal range. 600-800.

N

Nichelob

Awards
OP, I think it would be wise to convince your endo/urologist/pcp or whoever to check your Prolactin levels. If they won't do it, I would buy my own lab to make sure: privatemdlabs com

My testosterone was 140 when I was 33 because of a prolactinoma. My tumor is huge at 4cm and was spiking my Prolactin at 1400 (ref range 7-12), but even a 4mm tumor could cause your T to dip. My endo was convinced that I'd need HRT to get my T back to normal, but he was wrong, I'm at 430 and rising now.

Also, I would also look into seeing a Naturopath to get recommendations on herbs. They seem to work for me, but it's hard to get the dosage/cycle right.

Last edited: