Having issues with TRT

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
A few months ago, I finally went to see the doc about some issues I'd been having for the last 6-8 months...extreme lethargy, mood swings, and diminished sex drive and performance, mainly. I also noticed I was gaining weight extremely easily. Got my panel back, and test was at 319, so my doc felt like it was good idea to try TRT to see if it would help. For the first 8 weeks, I received 200 every two weeks of test cyp. My energy level and mood really responded, but honestly my libido didn't change a lot. One of the biggest things I noticed that was around the 11-12 day mark, my mood and energy levels were really falling off. Toward the end of the 8 week period, I started getting some pretty significant sensitivity and soreness in my right nipple.

I got my next round of bloodwork done at the end of the 8 weeks. Test level was 180. I was concerned, obviously. The doc suggested we try 100 every week to see if that would stabilize things, and get another panel in 8 weeks. I'm on week 6, and still a little concerned. Mood is down, sex drive is absolutely crushed, and still soreness in the nipple (I'm assuming that's related to estrogen issues, but I'm not an expert). Energy level is decent, but not what it was.

I'm guessing I should give the doc a call and see what she says. Any of you have experience with similar issues? I have no idea how I could go through 8 weeks of TRT and have my test levels actually go down. I have a feeling that when I get my next round of bloodwork done, my levels will be just as bad.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The basic answer is that this might not be test related. As I am find out myself, TRT is the easiest answer and once you actually dive into the numbers from a full blood test and figure out lifestyle choices, it may not be the problem. After lifting for the last 20+ years and being very competitive my whole life, I thought I knew it all. I realized pretty quickly about 6 months ago until now that I don't know jack about hormones and I have been on a crash course. I finally have a grasp on some things and have been working with my doc and endo, but it is scary how quick testosterone is prescribed now.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just reread this and it doesn't say when you were getting blood drawn after your last shot. If it was two weeks after, it could explain why it was lower since you may be shut off.

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
It was two weeks after or a little over that.

I felt 10 times better on 200 every 2 weeks than 100 a week. I'm absolutely exhausted at my desk today, and I haven't felt like that since I started the treatment. Completely lethargic. It was so bad before I started getting treatment that there were a couple times I almost fell asleep at the wheel when I was driving home from work at 5:00pm...

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The basic answer is that this might not be test related. As I am find out myself, TRT is the easiest answer and once you actually dive into the numbers from a full blood test and figure out lifestyle choices, it may not be the problem. After lifting for the last 20+ years and being very competitive my whole life, I thought I knew it all. I realized pretty quickly about 6 months ago until now that I don't know jack about hormones and I have been on a crash course. I finally have a grasp on some things and have been working with my doc and endo, but it is scary how quick testosterone is prescribed now.

I see a ton of people on here saying they are going on TRT, even some really young guys. My doctor has never even mentioned anything about trt to me ever. Maybe it is just in certain parts of the country.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I see a ton of people on here saying they are going on TRT, even some really young guys. My doctor has never even mentioned anything about trt to me ever. Maybe it is just in certain parts of the country.
It's quite common around here. Possibly has to do with lifestyle and the interest in heath issues in certain areas. We all know Colorado is huge on this, so it may explain why it is talked about more and well known.

Meister

Meister

Awards
Since you are tested just prior to your injection and your injections were every 2 weeks, you were definitely on the down swing of that horrid 2 wk TRT roller coaster. After being on synth T for that length of time, you are probably shut down. (Has the coin purse tightened up quite a bit?)

I go to a "Low T Center". That is it's actual name, but I don't know if they have them in Colorado. If so, I would look into them. My Doc is pretty knowledgable and I'm currently on 120 mg/wk and AI at 0.5 48 hrs after injection.

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
Since you are tested just prior to your injection and your injections were every 2 weeks, you were definitely on the down swing of that horrid 2 wk TRT roller coaster. After being on synth T for that length of time, you are probably shut down. (Has the coin purse tightened up quite a bit?)

I go to a "Low T Center". That is it's actual name, but I don't know if they have them in Colorado. If so, I would look into them. My Doc is pretty knowledgable and I'm currently on 120 mg/wk and AI at 0.5 48 hrs after injection.
OK, well that would make sense then. I'm currently doing 100 mg / week, but I don't feel nearly as good as I did on 200 / 2 weeks. Regardless, I'll have bloodwork coming up soon, and this time it should be about 4 days after injection. I guess we'll see what it looks like then and go from there. I am wondering if I don't need an AI to combat estrogen issues...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OK, well that would make sense then. I'm currently doing 100 mg / week, but I don't feel nearly as good as I did on 200 / 2 weeks. Regardless, I'll have bloodwork coming up soon, and this time it should be about 4 days after injection. I guess we'll see what it looks like then and go from there. I am wondering if I don't need an AI to combat estrogen issues...
with 100mg 4 days after injection, i'd guess your levels will come back in the 400ish range, maybe a bit more

Meister

Meister

Awards
Is your Doc doing a full panel or is he just testing for test? Normally if the Doc can run the test in office and give you results within the hour, he is only looking at free test. Ask that a full panel be done and have them check your estrodiol levels. That will help you to figure out if you are or are not having estrogen related issues.

However, everyone is different and for some people even a small amount of esto change can make a big difference.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Even with the estrogen related sides I've been having?
without blood tests showing elevateed estrogen, there is no telling what is really causing the sides. Even with having a higher than normal conversion to estrogen, it won't affect testosterone levels that much. 100mg weekly should level out into the 500-700mg range after the levels stabilize. I was wrong before, levels should be higher than 400 4 days after. At 6 weeks in your levels should be pretty stable, so then the question becomes estrogen levels, and SHBG/free testosterone levels.

Realistically though, feeling better those first few days after the 200mg is not only normal, its totally expected as your level is higher at that point than has ever been naturally recorded in a human. You'd be seeing levels over double what a healthy 18 year old has.

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
Is your Doc doing a full panel or is he just testing for test? Normally if the Doc can run the test in office and give you results within the hour, he is only looking at free test. Ask that a full panel be done and have them check your estrodiol levels. That will help you to figure out if you are or are not having estrogen related issues. However, everyone is different and for some people even a small amount of esto change can make a big difference.
Its a full panel, done by Quest. It usually takes a couple days to get the results back. I'll ask the doc abput it when I get my next shot.

ken3744

ken3744

Awards
I been using Ethunate, not sure how its spelled but I dont get a roller coaster effect from it. It stayes in the body longer then the stuff your using. I dont know why doctors use it. I get 1.5 cc every 2 weeks now for the past 5 years.

BigAL46

BigAL46

Awards
Im on the 200 mg biweekly and so far much better than before. Maybe you should tell your dr how you were feeling on the 200 bi weekly.

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
Just got my bloodwork done. Will be a couple days before the panel comes back, and then I'll meet with the doc to discuss the options.

semiseco

Awards
First post here :)

Maybe cyp is not right med for you!? You can try gel or some other injectable...and get AI for those nipples before gyno appears. All the meds don't suit for everyone...i have personal experience for that.

I live in europe and docs here usually give you gel, sust or nebido. Gel was workin fine with me, but later i got bad cough for that, then i tried sust in every other week, but feelin horrid rollercoaster and my numbers was ****, finally i tested nebido and used it about 18months, shots was given in every 5-6 weeks (it should work 12weeks normally). Now i stopped nebido, cause lost of libido, just started 0,25 of clomifen to get my hpta working again...

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
I got my bloodwork back yesterday...test levels are now 780, which the doc is happy with. My sides seem to have subsided almost completely, so I'm not sure exactly what was going on there, but I'm going to pick up an AI for the future, just in case.

Looks like I will be staying at 100/week.

ken3744

ken3744

Awards
thats more like it, keep an eye on the liver enzymes

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got my bloodwork back yesterday...test levels are now 780, which the doc is happy with. My sides seem to have subsided almost completely, so I'm not sure exactly what was going on there, but I'm going to pick up an AI for the future, just in case.

Looks like I will be staying at 100/week.
good deal!