To my fellow muscle heads, an important warning about cholesterol meds.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
I’ve tried 3 statins and 1 cholesterol blocker and they all make me sick, the worst was Livalo. I got a severe case of muscle breakdown back in December. I don’t mean I felt like I was in a slump. To make a long story short I lost so much weight my skin was sagging. Coulndn't even do what used to be warmup weight. . I’m over most of it now except my shoulders are still trashed. I suspect it’ll be a couple more months before I’m completely recovered. I’ll be filing a complaint with the FDA. A lot of people can take these meds so I’m not telling you what to do, but be careful the sides are much more common than they make it seem. Similarly, I’m staying away from RYR, too.

Hopefully, my Wellness dr will be some help. He would have to be, if worse, then he'll be putting me out of my misery, other than that i have a reason to believe i may be my old self again... He gives me this stuff to read, but I told him he’s the only person I know that knows more about this than me.

I friend of mine sent me this article, it's exactly why happened to me and why you need to be cautious.
Phys Ed: Do Statins Make It Tough to Exercise? - NYTimes.com

Who knew, exercise is bad for you. BTW, if it comes down to it, I’d rather die with my boots on so I still have my same goals as ever.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
I’ve tried 3 statins and 1 cholesterol blocker and they all make me sick, the worst was Livalo. I got a severe case of muscle breakdown back in December. I don’t mean I felt like I was in a slump. To make a long story short I lost so much weight my skin was sagging. Coulndn't even do what used to be warmup weight. . I’m over most of it now except my shoulders are still trashed. I suspect it’ll be a couple more months before I’m completely recovered. I’ll be filing a complaint with the FDA. A lot of people can take these meds so I’m not telling you what to do, but be careful the sides are much more common than they make it seem. Similarly, I’m staying away from RYR, too.

Hopefully, my Wellness dr will be some help. He would have to be, if worse, then he'll be putting me out of my misery, other than that i have a reason to believe i may be my old self again... He gives me this stuff to read, but I told him he’s the only person I know that knows more about this than me.

I friend of mine sent me this article, it's exactly why happened to me and why you need to be cautious.
Phys Ed: Do Statins Make It Tough to Exercise? - NYTimes.com

Who knew, exercise is bad for you. BTW, if it comes down to it, I’d rather die with my boots on so I still have my same goals as ever.
I believe this has been here discussed before, and yeah, all of these statins have problems. Taking large doses of Coq10 helps to eliminate some of them, but not all. I have not read the article you posted yet as I'm short of time, but muscle soreness strongly comes with statins, and heavy exercisers will notice this quickly, unlike sedentary people.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I had a heart attack 6 weeks ago and the doc put me on pravastatin. I stopped taking it cus I was getting bad muscle cramps and fatigue. He didn't give it to me for high cholesterol since my LDL was only 49 at time of my attack he said it would help blood flow to my heart. Anyway I'm taking low dose aspirin and ubiquinol now and feel better then pravastatin. Don't know if the ubiquinol is really effective but living with deteriorating side effects isnt living IMO. Btw I'm only 34 and my attack was lead on by stress as far as the cardiologist could tell.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Statins are worthless. Happy to hear you are off them. How is your cholesterol looking now without them?

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Statins are worthless. Happy to hear you are off them. How is your cholesterol looking now without them?
Don't know which person you were asking but in my case I wasn't prescribed it for cholesterol. Mine was crazy low already. They prescribe statins for more then just cholesterol.

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I had a heart attack 6 weeks ago and the doc put me on pravastatin. I stopped taking it cus I was getting bad muscle cramps and fatigue. He didn't give it to me for high cholesterol since my LDL was only 49 at time of my attack he said it would help blood flow to my heart. Anyway I'm taking low dose aspirin and ubiquinol now and feel better then pravastatin. Don't know if the ubiquinol is really effective but living with deteriorating side effects isnt living IMO. Btw I'm only 34 and my attack was lead on by stress as far as the cardiologist could tell.
Wow, sorry to hear that. Was everything else in check, like blood pressure, lipid panel and all? Just wondering if there were any warning signs? Do you have a genetic predisposition towards heart disease?

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Wow, sorry to hear that. Was everything else in check, like blood pressure, lipid panel and all? Just wondering if there were any warning signs? Do you have a genetic predisposition towards heart disease?
Yeah I posted a thread on the whole thing. At the time of the attack my BP was high and my heart rate was jacked. My bloodwork was outstanding so the only conclusion they could come to was stress related. I have family history of heart disease but up until showed no signs myself. Stress is a motherfuker is the diagnosis ;-)

tcun44

Awards
Yeah I posted a thread on the whole thing. At the time of the attack my BP was high and my heart rate was jacked. My bloodwork was outstanding so the only conclusion they could come to was stress related. I have family history of heart disease but up until showed no signs myself. Stress is a motherfuker is the diagnosis ;-)
Good topic- if anyone is on statins or has a doctor who recommends taking them- you owe it to yourself to read any book my Uffe Ravnskov. He has 2-3 books on Amazon on the topic of cholesterol and fat consumption. He goes to great lengths to debunk the myth that high cholesterol is bad for you- he argues the opposite. Definitely worth checking out- it opened my eyes when I had a doctor recommended them for me- after which I had to fire her.

mrgeeky

Awards
have you tried natural cures..

i was on the crap meds but got sore joints etc..

I gave it a shot naturally but using all foods that help lower cholesterol.

This is what worked for me.

A handfull of walnuts chucked in to my muslie in the morning.

Muslie high in oat content.

Take fish oil cap supplements.

Add advocado to your meals as often as you can.

At least 3 salmon steaks a week, tail end has no bones.

Cut out bad fatty foods.

Problemo solved.

It really was that simple

carpejohn

carpejohn

Awards
I am on simvistatin 10mg, lowest dose and works well for me. Keeps my triglycerides at good levels. No muscle issues, just growing :)

mrgeeky

Awards
hey people, why take meds when you can just make a few changes to your diet?

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes changes to the diet aren't enough. I have high bp and no amount of celery seed, COQ-10, fish oil, etc. made any difference but a low dose BP med keeps it in check.

Don't forget that in a lot of cases meds are actually cheaper than supps as well and, provided you don't have any sides to the meds, you may as well take them. This is the case with COQ-10 - yes, for some people, it can lower BP the same amount as a low dose BP med will do but generally can cost more than the med and if money is tight not everyone can afford to pick and choose what they need to stay healthy.

JayV

Banned
Awards
hey people, why take meds when you can just make a few changes to your diet?
Yeah, that's all there is to it.

Actually anyone who has any knowledge of this subject is aware that dietary intake of cholesterol has very little effect on the levels of most people.