A question about muscle pain and weakness while on statins. - AnabolicMinds.com

A question about muscle pain and weakness while on statins.

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  174 lbs.

A question about muscle pain and weakness while on statins.

For my fellow muscle-heads out there I have a question about muscle pain and weakness while on statins.

Iíve been on a statin (Livalo) for almost 8 weeks. Iíve tried every OTC remedies you can think of, the only OTC that helps a little is Niacin (1500mg). Like most here, I had no lifestyle changes to make. My surgeon and PCP are convinced itís familial. My PCP says heís never seen anyone try harder than I do, but there again, no one said lifeís fair.

Simcor and Crestor made me sick within a couple weeks, so Iím pretty cautious about statins and looking out for any sides.

For liver damage Iím getting monthly checks and taking NAC, Milk thistle, and lemon juice.

For the muscle pain and weakness Iím taking 100-150 mg Ubiquinol (coq10). But the literature is unclear about how much to take and if the muscle pain and weakness is really helped by coq10. Some literature says if it is not much more than minor itís better to live with it. For me thatís totally unacceptable, if anyone understands this itís you guys.

So how do you look for the early signs and what do you do or take prevent it?
    Thanks

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  232 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DBinMD View Post
    For my fellow muscle-heads out there I have a question about muscle pain and weakness while on statins.

I’ve been on a statin (Livalo) for almost 8 weeks. I’ve tried every OTC remedies you can think of, the only OTC that helps a little is Niacin (1500mg). Like most here, I had no lifestyle changes to make. My surgeon and PCP are convinced it’s familial. My PCP says he’s never seen anyone try harder than I do, but there again, no one said life’s fair.

Simcor and Crestor made me sick within a couple weeks, so I’m pretty cautious about statins and looking out for any sides.

For liver damage I’m getting monthly checks and taking NAC, Milk thistle, and lemon juice.

For the muscle pain and weakness I’m taking 100-150 mg Ubiquinol (coq10). But the literature is unclear about how much to take and if the muscle pain and weakness is really helped by coq10. Some literature says if it is not much more than minor it’s better to live with it. For me that’s totally unacceptable, if anyone understands this it’s you guys.

So how do you look for the early signs and what do you do or take prevent it?
    Thanks
    One thing I've heard is that doc's tend to way overdose statins, and the you can get 80-90 % of the benefits at 1/3 - 1/4 of the normal doses prescribed. I was following the forum of one of the best Cardio docs in the US and that is an accepted viewpoint on that forum.

Keep taking the Ubiquinol as that is critical too.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  174 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tuberman View Post
    One thing I've heard is that doc's tend to way overdose statins, and the you can get 80-90 % of the benefits at 1/3 - 1/4 of the normal doses prescribed. I was following the forum of one of the best Cardio docs in the US and that is an accepted viewpoint on that forum.

Keep taking the Ubiquinol as that is critical too.
    I think you're right. I've just started but when I started it or the doc ups it, I ease into it depending on what my blood work says. I really like my PCP but sometimes he gets it seriously wrong. I've learned to completely trust no one.

Thanks for the reply.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  232 lbs.

I think you're right. I've just started but when I started it or the doc ups it, I ease into it depending on what my blood work says. I really like my PCP but sometimes he gets it seriously wrong. I've learned to completely trust no one.

Thanks for the reply.
    Interesting is that the statin makers claim that it is a small minority effected by your symptoms, when really it is a high percentage, and they really know that.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

For the muscle pain and weakness I’m taking 100-150 mg Ubiquinol (coq10). But the literature is unclear about how much to take and if the muscle pain and weakness is really helped by coq10.
    You do understand that Ubiquinol is not the same as Co10? CoQ10 is Ubiquinone and Ubiquinol is a good up to 8 times stronger and is sometimes called CoQH. Those friends who were using the Ubiquinone used from 100 to 400 mgs ED ie pssbly not enough. Those using Ubiquinol use either 100 or 200 mgs whih equates to a hell of a lot of the old CoQ10. The difference is that the Ubiquinol is what your body makes out of the Ubiquinone it gets. It called a reduced form of the milder CoQ10. In any case most of us need to take it simply because our bodies make less of it as we age much less the strong depletion which take place due to synthetic statins from Big Pharma. I know lots of folks who have successfully switched to using all natural Red Yeast Rice (the original, natural statin).
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  174 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tuberman View Post
    Interesting is that the statin makes claim that it is a small minority effected by your symptoms, when really it is a high percentage, and they really know that.
    Glad you told me that. I've had bad reactions to simvistatin and crestor. on the first, after 2 months my liver enzymes went so high I had to get it scanned to make sure i didn't have any permanent damage. re: crestor my PCP said "don't worry it's the lowest dose." Started feeling bad almost right away and after a week I couldn't get out of bed. I'm now on something new (Livalo). Despite a significant drop in my lipids, my PCP upped the dose. And, even though, I'm taking 100-150 mg of Coq10 (Ubiquinol), my workouts have been pretty bad the last couple of days so I think I'm going back to the medium dose. I was beginning to wonder if it was just me that reacts so badly to them.

Some people feel they're glad to just be alive. They just blindly follow their doc's advice. Maybe their standards are so low or mine so high. They can live with the sides but i can't (won't) .
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  174 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    You do understand that Ubiquinol is not the same as Co10? CoQ10 is Ubiquinone and Ubiquinol is a good up to 8 times stronger and is sometimes called CoQH. Those friends who were using the Ubiquinone used from 100 to 400 mgs ED ie pssbly not enough. Those using Ubiquinol use either 100 or 200 mgs whih equates to a hell of a lot of the old CoQ10. The difference is that the Ubiquinol is what your body makes out of the Ubiquinone it gets. It called a reduced form of the milder CoQ10. In any case most of us need to take it simply because our bodies make less of it as we age much less the strong depletion which take place due to synthetic statins from Big Pharma. I know lots of folks who have successfully switched to using all natural Red Yeast Rice (the original, natural statin).
    Yes, I understand that Ubiquinol is the more active form . I didn’t know it was called CoqH. But is it still, in the end, serving the same purpose? I’m having a hard time finding a recommended dosage. I’ve recently upped my dosage from 100 to 150 mgs. There’s 2 reasons I haven’t used RYR. The first is it’s a statin so I’m afraid of the same side effects. The second is that I heard they’ve taken the statin out of it because of pressure from the big pharmacies.

Is any of this true? Thanks for the info.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Yes, I understand that Ubiquinol is the more active form . I didnít know it was called CoqH. But is it still, in the end, serving the same purpose? Iím having a hard time finding a recommended dosage. Iíve recently upped my dosage from 100 to 150 mgs. Thereís 2 reasons I havenít used RYR. The first is itís a statin so Iím afraid of the same side effects. The second is that I heard theyíve taken the statin out of it because of pressure from the big pharmacies.

Is any of this true? Thanks for the info.

Withyour concerns I would say you have fallen completely for Big Pharma's hugedisinformation campaign aimed at protecting their cash cow. Personally I don'tbelieve either of them and have not found either to be true. There is a ton ofinfo out there about the corrupt data they have orchestrated.
    ďAccording to natural health advocate MikeAdams, author of "TheFive Habits of Health Transformation," red yeast rice contains a widevariety of supportive compounds that aren't found in the isolated chemical soldas a drug, and the scientific community believes multiple compounds work betterin concert than isolated chemicals.ď
    "Pharmaceuticalcompanies actually synthesized statin drugs by discovering and altering amolecule found in redyeast rice," Adams said. "But red yeast rice does not cause thedangerous side effects of statin drugs, nor does it require a high-pricedprescription. It's safer, more natural and works better."
    I wentfrom the high 200s, actually 280 down now to just 150 total cholesterol with 56HDL mainly by using RYR, Ubiquinol, Omega 3s, exercise and nutrition. Just forkicks, here is some interesting reading you can follow up on.
    The Dark Truth About the"Wonder Drug" Millions Swear By
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/26/think-twice-before-using-statin-drugs.aspx
    Hope this helps and gets you pointed in a safer direction,Viel Glueck!
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  174 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Withyour concerns I would say you have fallen completely for Big Pharma's hugedisinformation campaign aimed at protecting their cash cow. Personally I don'tbelieve either of them and have not found either to be true. There is a ton ofinfo out there about the corrupt data they have orchestrated.
    According to natural health advocate MikeAdams, author of "TheFive Habits of Health Transformation," red yeast rice contains a widevariety of supportive compounds that aren't found in the isolated chemical soldas a drug, and the scientific community believes multiple compounds work betterin concert than isolated chemicals.“
    "Pharmaceuticalcompanies actually synthesized statin drugs by discovering and altering amolecule found in redyeast rice," Adams said. "But red yeast rice does not cause thedangerous side effects of statin drugs, nor does it require a high-pricedprescription. It's safer, more natural and works better."
    I wentfrom the high 200s, actually 280 down now to just 150 total cholesterol with 56HDL mainly by using RYR, Ubiquinol, Omega 3s, exercise and nutrition. Just forkicks, here is some interesting reading you can follow up on.
    The Dark Truth About the"Wonder Drug" Millions Swear By
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/26/think-twice-before-using-statin-drugs.aspx
    Hope this helps and gets you pointed in a safer direction,Viel Glueck!
    Not completely, I’ve really tried hard to avoid the statin route for several years; in fact, my PCP says he’s never seen anyone try harder. I’ve avoided RYR for reasons I’ve already mentioned. Another effective supplement is Niacin, but because I’ve got major sleep issues I, erroneously, avoided it. Turns out I have a probable b12 deficiency. It’s another of those cases my small army of docs couldn’t figure out, I did. So I’m treating myself with mega doses of b12 and feel a lot better after only a couple weeks.

So for next month I’m giving RYR and Niacin (I’m up to 2000 mg so far) a go and have another blood test in six weeks (I have one scheduled for tomorrow so I’ll have the numbers to verify things).

IMO, the medical profession and the ambulance chasers deserve each other.

This helps a lot. Thanks a heap for your advice and lots of luck to you, also.
    P.S. you look damn good for a person of any age, let alone 70.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  174 lbs.

Dutchman,
    Which brand of RYR do you use or recommend. I'm thinking of Now Brands label.

thanks
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Dutchman,
    Which brand of RYR do you use or recommend. I'm thinking of Now Brands label.

thanks
    NOW's brand is excellent. I have used them and again Vitacost (their own housebrand) because I am pleased with their quality and price over the years.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. muscle weakness left leg overtaining
    By b555 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 11:49 AM
  2. Muscle pain question! help guys plz
    By Monstruoso in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 01:36 AM
  3. Advice on joint and muscle pain!!!!!
    By Biggedjr in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine