Testosterone test results

texdb1

Awards
I broke down a few days ago and had my doc check my natural test level. Mind you I've never done a cycle of anything. It came back at 271! He told me the bottom of the normal range is 250 so no problem. I'm 39, and from what I've read online is that an average for someone my age is about 650. Should I talk to another doc? On the study I read, on average a person who is 85-100 years old will be around 400. I have noticed a major libido decline in the last few months, but nothing else. This really makes me want to do a test cycle. I've got some test cyp on hand, but am not ready to do a cycle yet. Does anyone know if there is a super low dose of this I could take to just up it a little. Or is a little all it takes to have to ancillaries and pct? Any input would be appreciated.

catty66

catty66

Awards
I think you need to find a more informative doctor before you do anything. 271 is way to low for an active 39 year old man. Some doctors will tell you that you're ok just because you are in range. But at that number, I would feel like crap all the time. No energy, no libido, and terrible workouts. I know there is some knowledgable guys on that might have some good ideas for you, but I still think you need to find a better doctor.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i was in a similar situation b4 i started trt. i was just above "clinically low" so my uro told me she couldnt do anything for me. she did and so should you try to find the issue. for me she had my pituitary checked and then did a clomid restart for 6 weeks. when that failed she told me if i were so inclined to look into anti aging clinics which i did. i started on trt a few weeks later. best thing i ever did. my uro is cool too. she gets my bw scribed for me whenever i want and she told me to come off in a year or so and retest and shell treat me.

word of caution to you if you go to an anti aging clinic. do your research and know what you are getting into. clinics are known to scribe outrageous amounts of test and other drugs for purposes of trt. essentially they scribe cycles. so know what you need and go from there. im actually prescribed 400mg/week but use no where near that. i get my own bw done and have my dr look at it not the clinic.

texdb1

Awards
I'm having some more thyroid and pit tests done tomorrow. If everything comes back normal, does the fact the I have naturally low test make it any more risky to do a test cycle with proper pct? I was really wanting to do one in Oct.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I broke down a few days ago and had my doc check my natural test level. Mind you I've never done a cycle of anything. It came back at 271! He told me the bottom of the normal range is 250 so no problem. I'm 39, and from what I've read online is that an average for someone my age is about 650. Should I talk to another doc? On the study I read, on average a person who is 85-100 years old will be around 400. I have noticed a major libido decline in the last few months, but nothing else. This really makes me want to do a test cycle. I've got some test cyp on hand, but am not ready to do a cycle yet. Does anyone know if there is a super low dose of this I could take to just up it a little. Or is a little all it takes to have to ancillaries and pct? Any input would be appreciated.
271 isn't terrible. If you felt fine and didn't have issues before knowing what that number was, why stress on it?

And whatever you read about levels was pretty well false, those numbers are at the high end, not the average + normal levels. average at your age is probably closer to 400.

texdb1

Awards
Thanks Easy. Can someone chime in on weather or not this would adversely effect me doing a cycle? Other than the obvious fact that it's not real good for you anyway.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, pick one of two options first - either you don't feel great and are going to pursue TRT, or you feel fine.

If you are going to pursue TRT, then forget about a cycle till you've been on TRT 6 months, are stable and have more blood tests.

If you aren't going to go after TRT, then at least you'd be starting a cycle knowing where you baseline is, so you have something to compare with after PCT

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great info from ambulldog and Easy, both.

I agree with all the information shared thus far.

A) Don't let blood tests dictate everything. If you feel good, don't worry. But if you feel like you have started to recently; find the cause and find a solution to it.

B) A cycle would likely have you feeling great for the duration and then when your levels plummet, even with a solid PCT, you'll likely feel worse than you do right now (not saying suicidal or anything, but it'll screw with your levels which will obviously effect you).

C) I'd be more inclined to run a TRT dose of test (with a scrip or not) over running a cycle. 100mg of cyp/week to start off and then getting more blood work done in a while would be a much better route.

texdb1

Awards
Well I don't really feel horrible. My workouts are average at best, but I'm still going 5X a week. I don't really feel like I've been able to bring it for a while. Also the libido thing kind of sucks. Upside is this may be the first time in my life that ass does not rule me. haha If I did try to go the self TRT route would you run it something simple like this?

w1-8 100-150mg 1x/week or split it up?
w1-13 .25 arimidex E3D
w10-13 clomid ED 50/50/25/25

once done, having test checked again in about a month. Go from there. At least this way I'll get a small feel of how I deal with a cycle if nothing else. Due to it taking longer for cyp to kick in should I jump start with prop the first week? If so what do yo suggest? Opinions please.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why self TRT? No insurance? many urologists will also prescribe trt, some GPs do.

texdb1

Awards
I have insurance, but I would rather not have that diagnosis on my medical record just yet. I probably need to just nut up and do a real cycle in a couple of months, if the rest of the labs come back ok. I'll just worry about TRT afterwards.

I would still like some input on weather doing a cycle with naturally low test is any more risky than normal.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have insurance, but I would rather not have that diagnosis on my medical record just yet. I probably need to just nut up and do a real cycle in a couple of months, if the rest of the labs come back ok. I'll just worry about TRT afterwards.

I would still like some input on weather doing a cycle with naturally low test is any more risky than normal.
Was the blood test not through insurance? Is there some specific reason you wouldn't want that on your medical record even though its accurate?

The only additional risks are related to whether your cholesterol levels start off being a bit off, and your recovery of natural levels post cycle.

texdb1

Awards
It was done with insurance, but kind of on the sly with a NP. So the test results don't technically equal a diagnosis, until someone puts the diagnosis in my chart. Which isn't happening.

Thanks for the input. By the way great website!

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
self medicating trt is a dumb idea

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was done with insurance, but kind of on the sly with a NP. So the test results don't technically equal a diagnosis, until someone puts the diagnosis in my chart. Which isn't happening.

Thanks for the input. By the way great website!
But whats the problem with the diagnosis being in your chart?

Not particularly trying to change your mind, but just I can't think of any reasons I wouldn't want relevant health information in my chart.

avsfreak24

Awards
This looks like a good place to ask this question:

Is it more beneficial to see a urologist over an endocrinologist?

Just curious. I've been considering the anti-aging clinic route, but they aren't cheap. I think I will get bloodwork done first and go from there.

Haven't had a GP for years as I rarely need to see a doc, but when I picked one recently, he latched onto sleep apnea as my problem, which I don't have. He didn't look at any other possibilities, so needless to say, I will be finding a different GP.

Easy and ambulldog, thanks for the good info.

Tex, good thread, and these guys have experience with this stuff. None of the regulars here have steered me wrong with any advice or knowledge.

texdb1

Awards
Went and saw another GP today. Dr. said my test levels are completely normal at 271, and would not be causing my small issues. She seems to think I might be anemic. Which I think is about as possible as me being Spiderman. She ordered some more tests: thyroid, CBC, etc.
I'm at the point now that if everything else comes back good, I'm just going to do a real test cycle in about a month and a half. I'd rather shop for gear than a doc at this point.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This looks like a good place to ask this question:

Is it more beneficial to see a urologist over an endocrinologist?

Just curious. I've been considering the anti-aging clinic route, but they aren't cheap. I think I will get bloodwork done first and go from there.

Haven't had a GP for years as I rarely need to see a doc, but when I picked one recently, he latched onto sleep apnea as my problem, which I don't have. He didn't look at any other possibilities, so needless to say, I will be finding a different GP.

Easy and ambulldog, thanks for the good info.

Tex, good thread, and these guys have experience with this stuff. None of the regulars here have steered me wrong with any advice or knowledge.
Well, if you've gotten THOROUGH bloodwork, and total + free testosterone are your only values off, then a urologist is probably better, because that is all they will treat - testoterone, and they are way easier to find and get appointments with. Particularly if you want to self inject at home, if you have to visit 2 or 3 doctors before you find one who will let you do that, it could take literally a year with endos to visit 3 or 4, but most urologists seem to have reasonable openings. When I hunted for endos, I couldnt' find an appointment sooner than 3 months out, with the urologist 2 weeks.

If your thyroid, DHEA, DHT, etc are off, then an endo is better as they'll take a more holistic view.

avsfreak24

Awards
Well, if you've gotten THOROUGH bloodwork, and total + free testosterone are your only values off, then a urologist is probably better, because that is all they will treat - testoterone, and they are way easier to find and get appointments with. Particularly if you want to self inject at home, if you have to visit 2 or 3 doctors before you find one who will let you do that, it could take literally a year with endos to visit 3 or 4, but most urologists seem to have reasonable openings. When I hunted for endos, I couldnt' find an appointment sooner than 3 months out, with the urologist 2 weeks.

If your thyroid, DHEA, DHT, etc are off, then an endo is better as they'll take a more holistic view.
Thanks for the info. Helpful as usual.

corvettels3

Awards
Whats up guys. I'm glad I found this forum. A lot of good info here. Regarding you test results, do not rely just on the serum (total) test. You need to get the Free Testosterone Direct test. The normal range is between 8.7-25.1 pg/ml. You can have a low total (below 280ng/dL) and have a normal direct range. In which you will not be classifed as having low t. To be diagnose with low t your direct numbers need to be under 8.7.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
Was the blood test not through insurance? Is there some specific reason you wouldn't want that on your medical record even though its accurate?

The only additional risks are related to whether your cholesterol levels start off being a bit off, and your recovery of natural levels post cycle.
I would guess he wants to be able to purchase insurance in the future. You never know why you'll get denied coverage if you don't get it through an employer. I had to go through physical therapy for my back over 5 years ago and was turned down for health insurance recently due to a "pre-existing" condition.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would guess he wants to be able to purchase insurance in the future. You never know why you'll get denied coverage if you don't get it through an employer. I had to go through physical therapy for my back over 5 years ago and was turned down for health insurance recently due to a "pre-existing" condition.
That's not possible in the US any longer....

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
That's not possible in the US any longer....
Not true. That doesn't take effect until 2014. And there's nothing in that law that says they can't charge you an arm and nut for covering you. Even if your "pre-existing" condition, like mine, requires no treatment. Besides, better safe than sorry. I'll be surprised if that law actually takes effect.

stankyleg

stankyleg

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Add lots of good fats, magnesium oil zma and ultra male rx. My libido, well being and semen volume are all at high points of my life at age 35. I was going to talk to my gp about trt until I came across this little stack. I think I can get a few more miles out of this old dog now.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not true. That doesn't take effect until 2014. And there's nothing in that law that says they can't charge you an arm and nut for covering you. Even if your "pre-existing" condition, like mine, requires no treatment. Besides, better safe than sorry. I'll be surprised if that law actually takes effect.
Ah maybe it was for 18& under for this year