Older wiser and just broke my old record

Page 5 of 8 First ... 34567 ... Last

  1. Shooting for 205? Are you still at 176 or is your profile out of date? If so that’s quite a jump.

    I just updated mine to 171, 5 lbs. heavier than when I joined in October. My goal has been to gain lb. each week and I’m pretty close to that. If I keep this up until my next physical around April my doc is going to go ape-$hit when he sees how much weight I’ve gained. The last time he did but my blood work was actually better and my heart rate and BP stayed the same as when I was running. He still wanted me to go back to running saying it was healthier. To which I responded asking if it was really healthy to have been running 70-100 miles a week like I was. Besides I will never stop Deadlifting if possible since it’s the only thing that’s ever stopped my lower back pain from a ruptured lumbar disk.

    @ TT Thanks for mentioning Sprouts, I hadn’t thought check there. I got mine at WallyWorld (Walmart) but they didn’t have extra virgin.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by grunt03 View Post
    Shooting for 205? Are you still at 176 or is your profile out of date? If so that’s quite a jump.

    I just updated mine to 171, 5 lbs. heavier than when I joined in October. My goal has been to gain lb. each week and I’m pretty close to that. If I keep this up until my next physical around April my doc is going to go ape-$hit when he sees how much weight I’ve gained. The last time he did but my blood work was actually better and my heart rate and BP stayed the same as when I was running. He still wanted me to go back to running saying it was healthier. To which I responded asking if it was really healthy to have been running 70-100 miles a week like I was. Besides I will never stop Deadlifting if possible since it’s the only thing that’s ever stopped my lower back pain from a ruptured lumbar disk.

    @ TT Thanks for mentioning Sprouts, I hadn’t thought check there. I got mine at WallyWorld (Walmart) but they didn’t have extra virgin.
    I was up to 195 before the arm issue started in and I had to take a break. 205 was always the sweet spot before I would start cutting. I would end up around 176-181. This time, I really should start cutting now, I still have to deal with the TRT issue.

    Today I'm 114/70 @ 64 bpm, not bad if I say so myself. I fractured two lumbar vertabre, the only thing that stops the pain is working out. The vertabre healed but the disks remind me on a daily basis with some pain. I dead lift with a belt to remind me to keep my lower back straight as possible, I use a nautlis machine to control the range of motion. The bar is 1.5 times higher off the floor vs 45lb plates off of the floor, protects the lumbar area of the back. Some use the smith machine in the same way, same benefit and control. So far I've had good results, maybe because I have to set the weight back down each time.

    I found a store here that sells the extra virgin coconut oil, they also sell on-line...The Raisin Rack.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by TINYTOAD View Post
    I haven't purchased coconut oil in a while, but I used to get it at a store called "Sprouts," which is in Texas and other western states.
    I'll look for extra virgin coconut oil next time I'm down there.

    I've used it for frying up some German potato pancakes. But yeah, it's pretty much solidified at room temperature.

    -TT
    I get my coconut oil online from Vitacost for about $20 for a 54 oz jug. The melting/solidifying point for CO is 76 degrees. Great thing is it never spoils. Just used 3 tablespoons this AM for my sunnyside up eggs and then used the remaining heated oil on my english muffin. Nothing like a tasty extra virgin in the morning LOL.

    TT, make a few extra of those Pfannekuchen for me. I'm on the way and bringing the Apfelmus.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by oldguns View Post
    I was up to 195 before the arm issue started in and I had to take a break. 205 was always the sweet spot before I would start cutting. I would end up around 176-181. This time, I really should start cutting now, I still have to deal with the TRT issue.

    Today I'm 114/70 @ 64 bpm, not bad if I say so myself. I fractured two lumbar vertabre, the only thing that stops the pain is working out. The vertabre healed but the disks remind me on a daily basis with some pain. I dead lift with a belt to remind me to keep my lower back straight as possible, I use a nautlis machine to control the range of motion. The bar is 1.5 times higher off the floor vs 45lb plates off of the floor, protects the lumbar area of the back. Some use the smith machine in the same way, same benefit and control. So far I've had good results, maybe because I have to set the weight back down each time.

    I found a store here that sells the extra virgin coconut oil, they also sell on-line...The Raisin Rack.
    OG, I wrecked a couple vertebrae in a 70 mph head on crash back in '87. My back workouts became a priority to help me overcome it since I refused any operation. Now for years I have been promoting Rack Deads either in the Rack or on the SM. I am back up to 5 X 420 and working towards my goal of a single @ 500 before Summer.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by oldguns View Post
    I was up to 195 before the arm issue started in and I had to take a break. 205 was always the sweet spot before I would start cutting. I would end up around 176-181. This time, I really should start cutting now, I still have to deal with the TRT issue.

    Today I'm 114/70 @ 64 bpm, not bad if I say so myself. I fractured two lumbar vertabre, the only thing that stops the pain is working out. The vertabre healed but the disks remind me on a daily basis with some pain. I dead lift with a belt to remind me to keep my lower back straight as possible, I use a nautlis machine to control the range of motion. The bar is 1.5 times higher off the floor vs 45lb plates off of the floor, protects the lumbar area of the back. Some use the smith machine in the same way, same benefit and control. So far I've had good results, maybe because I have to set the weight back down each time.

    I found a store here that sells the extra virgin coconut oil, they also sell on-line...The Raisin Rack.
    oldguns,

    I've been meaning to stop by for a while. Just wanted to say your blood pressure and pulse rates are good. I injured my back at the age of 14, and went through several periods where I could not straighten up to walk. What I learned from that was to keep my abs really, really strong and tight with lots of muscle, and it has a natural effect similar to a weight belt all the time. This is very protective of your spine. I'm talking about much more ab strength then the typical bodybuilder here, obsessively powerful abs. Even when I couldn't do much else with an injured knee, I worked my abs.

    I should start adding some rack deads like you guys too.

    BTW, I use coconut oil for eating and cooking too. it replaced canola oil for me about 18 months ago. Extra Virgin Olive oil is good but won't hold up to cooking temps.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by tuberman View Post
    oldguns,

    I've been meaning to stop by for a while. Just wanted to say your blood pressure and pulse rates is good. I injured my back at the age of 14, and went through several periods where I could not straighten up to walk. What I learned from that was to keep my abs really, really strong and tight with lots of muscle, and it has a natural effect similar to a weight belt all the time. This is very protective of your spine. I'm talking about much more ab strength then the typical bodybuilder here, obsessively powerful abs. Even when I couldn't do much else with an injured knee, I worked my abs.

    I should start adding some rack deads like you guys too.

    BTW, I use coconut oil for eating and cooking too. it replaced canola oil for me about 18 months ago. Extra Virgin Olive oil is good but won't hold up to cooking temps.
    I'm back, the granddaughter wanted to use my computer, afterwards I had to send it over to my brother-in-laws to get it straightened out, it's nice to have an IT guy in the family.

    I'm still out of the gym, tendonitis oh well, Tuesday I'm going back to start cardio, core and legs delaying the use of the arm. I think I can behave, maybe not. Anyway, I took the day off, planning to send the morning working on, core and leg workouts. In the afternoon, I'm having an appt. with a new urologist, it's time to take care of that issue also ! Due to the TRT issues, I'm going into a cut to drop body weight, and just wait it out until I get my numbers where they need to be before I try again. The wife cut my cal. intake again, increased my water intake and slow things until I get a grip on this issue.

    I agree that improving ab strength will assist the back even more so now is the time to focus on rehab of the old injury. I'll know more after this next appt. so until then I have to get back at it. The arm is going to take time until then there's plenty of work to do.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    OG, I wrecked a couple vertebrae in a 70 mph head on crash back in '87. My back workouts became a priority to help me overcome it since I refused any operation. Now for years I have been promoting Rack Deads either in the Rack or on the SM. I am back up to 5 X 420 and working towards my goal of a single @ 500 before Summer.
    After my injury, I was told never to lift anything off the floor, never carry over 45lbs or lift anything over my head. The pain was off the charts, nothing helped so I quit taking anything and returned to the gym after many years away. Dutchman, you and I are a work in progress....

  8. Quote Originally Posted by oldguns View Post
    After my injury, I was told never to lift anything off the floor, never carry over 45lbs or lift anything over my head. The pain was off the charts, nothing helped so I quit taking anything and returned to the gym after many years away. Dutchman, you and I are a work in progress....
    Hang in there OG, Rack Deads will really help you out. I built up from nothing, same as on my pull-ups and now I am killing both of them quite heavy. My back is stretched out, very wide and strong. Now I can do all the things my Doc said I would/should never do again LOL! Start your progression on both, low, and your back will love it. BTW, you should be getting some decent pain relief from the Cissus. It seems to kill any pain for me so I don't need the Big Pharma crap. You're gonna be just fine, keep your eye on your goal and we will all be cheering for you when you hit the top!

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Hang in there OG, Rack Deads will really help you out. I built up from nothing, same as on my pull-ups and now I am killing both of them quite heavy. My back is stretched out, very wide and strong. Now I can do all the things my Doc said I would/should never do again LOL! Start your progression on both, low, and your back will love it. BTW, you should be getting some decent pain relief from the Cissus. It seems to kill any pain for me so I don't need the Big Pharma crap. You're gonna be just fine, keep your eye on your goal and we will all be cheering for you when you hit the top!
    I took the advise of the Village Shaman, Cissus has made a big difference so far. Also the stinging nettle root, D3 and RYR have been added to the daily mix. The back pain is up a little, however I've been out of the gym for 60 days over this arm issue along with the TRT screwup. Thankgoodness, it will end tomarrow, I'm back at it...reguardless. I've noticed a big difference at work, even with all the walking I do daily, the knees are feeling great, no pain!

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Hang in there OG, Rack Deads will really help you out. I built up from nothing, same as on my pull-ups and now I am killing both of them quite heavy. My back is stretched out, very wide and strong. Now I can do all the things my Doc said I would/should never do again LOL! Start your progression on both, low, and your back will love it. BTW, you should be getting some decent pain relief from the Cissus. It seems to kill any pain for me so I don't need the Big Pharma crap. You're gonna be just fine, keep your eye on your goal and we will all be cheering for you when you hit the top!
    Dutch,
    I did end up buying 3 bottles of Super Cissus. I'm thinking of adding those rack deads you guys are using very soon. I'm going to work my damaged knee a lot when I start the cissus too.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by tuberman View Post
    Dutch,
    I did end up buying 3 bottles of Super Cissus. I'm thinking of adding those rack deads you guys are using very soon. I'm going to work my damaged knee a lot when I start the cissus too.
    Damn replied and lost it again. Go for it Tuber, you won't be dissappointed with the Cissus. You'll love the rack deads just start out slow and work into high weight/low rep eg 5 or 6. I precede them with 3 X 20 @ at 45 plate raises and follow them up with 2X each of front and back shrugs.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Damn replied and lost it again. Go for it Tuber, you won't be dissappointed with the Cissus. You'll love the rack deads just start out slow and work into high weight/low rep eg 5 or 6. I precede them with 3 X 20 @ at 45 plate raises and follow them up with 2X each of front and back shrugs.
    I agree, the cirrus worked like a charm. The workout went better than expected, the rack deads are going to take some time. Shrugs at 290 front and back no problem, close grip pull downs @ 160, wide grip pull downs @ 140. Hit the preachers bench with 20lb bar to test the arm, so far so good. The arm felt a little heavy and tight but there was no pain. I can't wait to see how tomarrow goes...

  13. Good news OG, keep it up!

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Good news OG, keep it up!
    Thanks, hope your tests come out ok. I'm back to the testing stage, however I have had just about all I can handle. My primary care physician sends me to another urologist, he asks me what meds I'm on...etc.." Oh no we can't do injectable test, or even the gel ". He wants to refer me to a friend of his an endo to see what he has to say. Then after the male exam, we talk about low T issues, he tells me that I don't have any and that " I look really good for a man of my age ". It was the first time in years that I could feel my blood pressure rising sitting still ! I'm just going to relax and avoid doctors for now...! " You can't fix stupid "


    Never the less, the workouts are still improving, switched to straight leg rack deads @ 50lb. I plan to kick the weight up at the 1st of the month. The rehab on the lower back is going better than I had hoped for....at least something is going right.

  15. I restarted the old test injection levels and will just cruise along for now. Dutchman was correct on the cirrus rx, waiting to see how it works when I turn up the heat so to speak and start lifting heavy again. Stinging nettle root, ryr have been added to my supplements along with vit d3. As soon as I can get more than 5 minutes on here, I will be able to give a complete post reguarding new goal / workouts, etc...

  16. Why do we age? Let's just rewind to the point in time when we were at our peek. I am 6 months after shoulder surgery. They had to reattach the tenant that attaches my bicep to my shoulder. I have been back to the gym several times but finding motivation levels low. Doesn't help that the temps are hovering around -20 to -60 the last month and a half.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Chawks View Post
    Why do we age? Let's just rewind to the point in time when we were at our peek. I am 6 months after shoulder surgery. They had to reattach the tenant that attaches my bicep to my shoulder. I have been back to the gym several times but finding motivation levels low. Doesn't help that the temps are hovering around -20 to -60 the last month and a half.
    For me it's not motivation issues, just to much going on at the present. Supplements are due any day now, blood work is due next week the workouts have been set. Now all I have to do is to get it all together and set a new goal, without one, I just get sluggish.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by oldguns View Post
    For me it's not motivation issues, just to much going on at the present. Supplements are due any day now, blood work is due next week the workouts have been set. Now all I have to do is to get it all together and set a new goal, without one, I just get sluggish.
    Oldguns,

    You just hit it right on the noggin for me. Always too much going on with job, health concerns, recovery from injuries and various goals that slightly conflict. Just one stride at a time, and we'll get there.


    Chawk,

    I had a major operation to reattach my tendons (both sides) to my patella a year ago. How's your recovery?

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Chawks View Post
    Why do we age? Let's just rewind to the point in time when we were at our peek. I am 6 months after shoulder surgery. They had to reattach the tenant that attaches my bicep to my shoulder. I have been back to the gym several times but finding motivation levels low. Doesn't help that the temps are hovering around -20 to -60 the last month and a half.
    Yikes!!! It's 45 degrees here in the morning, and I just dread going outside, and sitting on those cold seats in my car. At 45 degrees, and being all dark in the morning, I have to push myself to get up and get down to the gym. At -20 to -60 degrees, you're one tough dude!

    -TT

  20. Quote Originally Posted by TINYTOAD View Post
    Yikes!!! It's 45 degrees here in the morning, and I just dread going outside, and sitting on those cold seats in my car. At 45 degrees, and being all dark in the morning, I have to push myself to get up and get down to the gym. At -20 to -60 degrees, you're one tough dude!

    -TT
    I have to agree, cold and me don't get along. I remember when it's 0 outside I would go to the gym and stand in the heat in the locker room just to get flexable enough to workout. This year were having a warm winter so far and I hope it keeps up.

  21. One word gentlemen . . . Phoenix!

  22. Quote Originally Posted by grunt03 View Post
    One word gentlemen . . . Phoenix!
    I have to agree! Phoenix has the best winters of any place that I've lived. The temperatures are about the same as San Diego, except you don't get all the clouds and fog.

    As for their summers... I don't care if it's "dry heat." The dry heat isn't so dry come mid July. All those days over 110 really wear you down. I will miss those thunder storms, and the little toads that come out in the rain.

    In about 45 minutes, I need to brave the 48 degree weather and drive down to the gym.

    -TT

  23. Even though I work 2nd shift, much of it outside, I’ve yet to wear more than a T-shirt this year, well except when I was in Germany.

    I’ve never minded the summers, for that matter I only recently got a car with air-conditioning so that if I need to drive my father around he won’t have to cook, however last summer was a little rough. I’ve always had around 8% or so body fat but last summer I’d bulked up by 30 lbs. and my BF% was up around 15%. That plus I was still eating to bulk and things got a little uncomfortable for the first time until I decided it was time for a cut.

    Your right about monsoon season which has didn’t used to start until August when I was growing up but it seems to come earlier every year. However, I’ll still take it over the Philippines.

  24. Supplements were delivered yesterday, so the preload stage begins. Next week, blood donation, bloodwork and getting things kicked off to a good start. The wife told me " just run a cycle and then set your own cruise level " she is tired of the run around. I just gave up on the doctors around here, I have wasted too much time and money. It's time to get back to business and take care of my health issues on my own.

  25. Nothing like getting the flu to toss a wrench in my plans. Sitting in the docs office, I was reading up on leg cramps. Leg cramps often result from inadequate vitamin e intake and/or an electrolyte imbalence. Dose; 400 iu of vit E, 400 mg of magnesium, 1200 mg of calcium and 100 mg of potassium daily. I use to just increase water intake / potassium when I could feel it coming on. I'm going to have to give this a try, as soon as I get well and hit the gym. Today was blood donation/ draw, If I'm back on my feet by tomarrow, I'll go take care of it then.

    TT- Dad has hit the final stage of rapid onset dementia, It's taking it's toll on me. Starting this weekend, it's work, workouts, eating and sleep, the rest of the time I will be a care giver. To handle the stress, it's time to lift harder than before, I have to find some way to release this stress.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. broke yet?
    By madds87 in forum Politics
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-03-2010, 01:02 AM
  2. pct v 2.0. lil wiser but still need assist
    By EDizzle in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 07:59 PM
  3. deadlift record
    By wilgates in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM
  4. Broke Drug Free 242 World Record - and scary vid to boot
    By kabuki in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 03:18 PM
  5. Why I'm broke..............
    By Vitruvian in forum Supplements
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Log in
Log in