How fast can I lose bodyfat?

bmichael123

Awards
I am working on setting my goals for this summer. I know everyone is different, and the less fat someone has the more difficult, and diet/type of training are variables. So what is considered reasonable. I know 1 to 2 pounds of weight is what accepted for weight loss, but this is not all fat. I dropped from 25% bf to 13% bf over this year. I would like to know if 10% is feasible by June 30th and if 5%-7% is feasible by the end of August.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am working on setting my goals for this summer. I know everyone is different, and the less fat someone has the more difficult, and diet/type of training are variables. So what is considered reasonable. I know 1 to 2 pounds of weight is what accepted for weight loss, but this is not all fat. I dropped from 25% bf to 13% bf over this year. I would like to know if 10% is feasible by June 30th and if 5%-7% is feasible by the end of August.
3% more in one month is unlikely. 7% by end of august is more possible, as that would be 2% a month.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The general recommendation re fat loss is 0.5% bodyfat per week, although some can lose a little more or less, dependent on the individual, their experience, etc. The faster one loses bodyfat, the less likely they are to maintain that loss once they reach their target - especially since most people "diet" to achieve fat loss, instead of just adjust a lifestyle nutrition plan - and the easier it is to rebound.

Losing 10% bodyfat is not feasible in four weeks, no, but losing 5-7% bodyfat by the end of August is definitely doable.

To calculate the time required to reach your body composition goal, know where you are now and then aim for a loss of 0.5% bodyfat a week and then add a week or two on either side of that number to see the period over which it would take you to reach your goal.

~Rosie~

bmichael123

Awards
Thanks for the great comments. One question though. Dieting correctly and exercising correctly will help lose body fat. The comment I question is gaining it back when I change my diet. If my diet reduces body fat, then a different diet should help maintain loss. In other words, continuing this diet should continue losses, at some point I want the losses to stop. I know the less I have the harder I need to work. The first 13% was pretty easy. I am now down to almost 12%. I really stepped up my cardio and focused more intensely on my diet. I am anxious to see where I will be by month end. 11.5% would be great.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the great comments. One question though. Dieting correctly and exercising correctly will help lose body fat. The comment I question is gaining it back when I change my diet. If my diet reduces body fat, then a different diet should help maintain loss. In other words, continuing this diet should continue losses, at some point I want the losses to stop. I know the less I have the harder I need to work. The first 13% was pretty easy. I am now down to almost 12%. I really stepped up my cardio and focused more intensely on my diet. I am anxious to see where I will be by month end. 11.5% would be great.
No worries :)

There is no reason for you to gain it back, nor is there a reason for you to change your diet aside from caloric intake. You are going to have a DIFFERENT Maintenance when you lose the bodyfat/weight; therefore I recommend recalculating it every month or so, depending on your progress, just to ensure that you are at the right level for your goal re caloric intake - ideally, you should be adjusting your nutrition on a weekly basis dependent on your progress for that week.

~Rosie~