Test Replacement

TerpVTX

Awards
I have been following this forum for a while now but rarely post. I am 41 years old and have always been in good physical condition. I have lifted weights on and off for 20-some years now, however, I have really taken the intensity and frequency of my workouts up over the past year and a half. I have heard really good things about the positive effects that people have had from running a Test Cyp cycle, and would like to go this route, however, I am fairly certain that my doctor will be adverse to prescribing this. I haven't had my lab work done recently, but suspect that my test levels will fall in the normal range (although I have been experiencing a lower labido as of late). Are there any other avenues that I can pursue like any of these online test replacement consultation services, or are they just a waste of money?

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
no they are not a waste of money but they are also not out to supply you a one time cycle which is what you are after. at your age get bw done, you may be a candidate for trt. ill tell you that lowered libido may mean nothing in terms of t levels as thats one of like a hundred symptoms. if you want to cycle go ahead and cycle and call it what it really is. although at 6'1" 170lbs you prolly shoulda considered the want for more size years ago and done it naturally as long as you could

TerpVTX

Awards
I can't really argue with most of what you said. I have always been slim. The most I ever weighed was 180 in college when I played baseball and rugby. I wish I had been more focused back then about my diet and weight training. About two years ago, I became more focused on weight training, diet and supplementation. At that time I weighed approximately 165 lbs. I am up to 174 now, with the added 9 lbs consisting of mostly muscle. However, it has taken me 2 years to do it. I have been stuck at 174 now for a while. While my lifts are respectible for a guy my size (265x2 bench, 350x2 dead, and 315x3 squat), I simply haven't been able to add much in the way of mass. As far as diet, about a month ago I increased my calorie intake from 3,000 (50 pro, 30 carb, 20 fat) to 3,500 (40 pro, 40 carb, 20 fat) but still haven't been able to get the weight up.

I wish I had been more focused when I was younger, but I still believe (hope), that it is possible, even at my age, to build muscle mass with the right routine, diet and supplementation. I do need to have my blood work done to determine what my current test levels are. However, I have seen people in their 30s and 40s put on good mass with a well structured test supplementation.

As I am sure you can gather from my posts, I have never cycled before. It is something that I want to explore further, just not sure how to go about it.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
I can't really argue with most of what you said. I have always been slim. The most I ever weighed was 180 in college when I played baseball and rugby. I wish I had been more focused back then about my diet and weight training. About two years ago, I became more focused on weight training, diet and supplementation. At that time I weighed approximately 165 lbs. I am up to 174 now, with the added 9 lbs consisting of mostly muscle. However, it has taken me 2 years to do it. I have been stuck at 174 now for a while. While my lifts are respectible for a guy my size (265x2 bench, 350x2 dead, and 315x3 squat), I simply haven't been able to add much in the way of mass. As far as diet, about a month ago I increased my calorie intake from 3,000 (50 pro, 30 carb, 20 fat) to 3,500 (40 pro, 40 carb, 20 fat) but still haven't been able to get the weight up.

I wish I had been more focused when I was younger, but I still believe (hope), that it is possible, even at my age, to build muscle mass with the right routine, diet and supplementation. I do need to have my blood work done to determine what my current test levels are. However, I have seen people in their 30s and 40s put on good mass with a well structured test supplementation.

As I am sure you can gather from my posts, I have never cycled before. It is something that I want to explore further, just not sure how to go about it.
you are correct it absolutely can be done. without help it just so much harder so i understand. pm me

TerpVTX

Awards
Thanks John. I replied to your pm. I really appreciate all of the advice.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really first thing you should do before you even consider anything is get a hormone panel done. If you qualify for real TRT then you'll know it, and if not and you decide to try a cycle of something you'll have baseline #s

TerpVTX

Awards
I got my lab results back.

Testosterone, Serum (Total) 196 ng/dL the reference range is 249-836
Free Testosterone (Direct) 5.1 pg/mL the reference range is 6.8-21.5

I was just tested for free and total, but given the low numbers, I am going to investigate TRT and have a complete hormone panel done.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got my lab results back.

Testosterone, Serum (Total) 196 ng/dL the reference range is 249-836
Free Testosterone (Direct) 5.1 pg/mL the reference range is 6.8-21.5

I was just tested for free and total, but given the low numbers, I am going to investigate TRT and have a complete hormone panel done.
Looks like you definatly qualify. You're below normal on your total and free test. Some people even have problems when they're within the low normal range. You're obviously in need of some trt.

TerpVTX

Awards
Thoughts on whether to go to a urologist or an anti-aging clinic? If it is prescribed by my urologist, then most of it may be covered by insurance. However, I have seen posts from some who had bad experiences with their urologist (e.g, hesitant to prescribe test injections, etc.) I am not looking to run a cycle, but rather long term therapy to keep my test levels where they need to be, with my preference being a healthy test level and not just above the minimum of the range.

Westwood

Westwood

Awards
I have been following this forum for a while now but rarely post. I am 41 years old and have always been in good physical condition. I have lifted weights on and off for 20-some years now, however, I have really taken the intensity and frequency of my workouts up over the past year and a half. I have heard really good things about the positive effects that people have had from running a Test Cyp cycle, and would like to go this route, however, I am fairly certain that my doctor will be adverse to prescribing this. I haven't had my lab work done recently, but suspect that my test levels will fall in the normal range (although I have been experiencing a lower labido as of late). Are there any other avenues that I can pursue like any of these online test replacement consultation services, or are they just a waste of money?

Normal test ranges are relevent. Mine are normal for my age. Something like 180 or something. Who the flip wants that. I dont want to be a normal 56 year old. I keep mine in the "normal range" of a 20 year old. Docs do comparison to normals for others in your age group. Test drops. Thats normal. Again, who wants that. Of course HRT can help. At your age, you should consider. Many options, clinics cater to guys over 40. Research it. Good luck

Westwood

Westwood

Awards
^Actually I correct myself. My levels are high for any age.

BTW, hello. Im new

TerpVTX

Awards
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I have decided to go the hrt route instead of messing with an endo or urologist. Your thoughts are exactly what I am fearful of. That is that the doctor will only try to raise my level to that of a normal 41 year old. That is certainly not what I want.

Oh, and welcome aboard. I don't post often, but I do frequently visit the board and have gotten some great information from others on here.

SufferingEd

SufferingEd

Awards
  • Established
All of what was said above is true. The problem is what they consider normal is such a huge range and what may be low for you could be normal for someone else. Research and find a good uro in your area first. This way if they consider you a canidate for TRT then your insurance will cover. If that does not work out then go to anit-aging clinic. I think you'll be alright with Uro though. My T was higher than yours and my uro put me on TRT.

Once your on TRT though get to the gym, man you'll love the gains. I'm stronger now than I was when I was in my 20's and thirtes.

TerpVTX

Awards
Thanks. My primary doctor actually recommended that I see an endocronologist. I have an appointment on Tuesday and will see what they say. I am looking forward to the growth gains that come with it. I hit the gym hard 5 days a week, but have not been seeing the gains I would like for the past year. In fact, one of the reasons I checked my test was because it appeared that I was starting to lose muscle definition even though I am working out harder now than I ever have.