59 year old needing knee help.

Turtlepecs

Awards
Hi all,
Don't know where else to post this ,but this seems as good a place as any.
Iv been lifting for a good few years now and have cycled a few times, I'm 28 and have a little(tiny) bit of aas knowledge.

But this question is for my old man,he's 59 and he's never touched a weight in his life.The construction job he works has destroyed his knees and he's in constant pain for a good few years now.The doctor has him on a constant supply of Diapine but that only helps a little bit.

So I was wondering if a small dose of deca or something similar would help I think he's willing to try anything at this stage.
The cartilage is gone on the inside of his knees,surgery is on the cards but he doesn't want to(cant) take time off work.I was also thinking some test e maybe and building up the leg muscles ?
I'm sure he,d respond quite well because he's never ever touched a weight or a protein shake:)

Obviously I'm asking here because the doctors here would just laugh if he suggested a weight training program with testosterone.

Cheers for reading lads and ladies ,

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
IMO that isn't the answer. Firstly if he has destroyed the cartilage in his knees the pain is from bone on bone inflammation. Secondly no workout is going to improve this inflammation.

Is he overweight? If yes he needs to go on a strict diet at once. As the weightloss will improve the amount of pressure he is placing on his knees.

Lack of cartilage makes leg extensions, squats and leg presses a slippery slope according to my doctors.

I have read that Ostarine can help muscle, bone and tendons at a dose not exceeding 12.5. I would read up on this and would be my consideration as a possible help.

evoateav8

Awards
Take it for what its worth, but at 48 and been on TRT of different sorts for 6 months and my knee pain is virtually gone. I weight train and do cardio 5 days a week. Still a little hard to run really hard, but overall a big difference.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
Building up muscles, tendons, etc won't do anything for his knees. No cartilage=bone on bone=pain. Supplements can help cartilage issues, but if it's as bad as your describing, it sounds like, the ortho surgeon is the best answer.

As mentioned, if he's overweight, losing some weight could improve his pain and should make any post-surgical rehab easier. As far as building up his leg muscles, working constructions should have them in resonable shape. I wouldn't think strengthening them would have much impact on pain.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Hi all,
Don't know where else to post this ,but this seems as good a place as any.
Iv been lifting for a good few years now and have cycled a few times, I'm 28 and have a little(tiny) bit of aas knowledge.

But this question is for my old man,he's 59 and he's never touched a weight in his life.The construction job he works has destroyed his knees and he's in constant pain for a good few years now.The doctor has him on a constant supply of Diapine but that only helps a little bit.

So I was wondering if a small dose of deca or something similar would help I think he's willing to try anything at this stage.
The cartilage is gone on the inside of his knees,surgery is on the cards but he doesn't want to(cant) take time off work.I was also thinking some test e maybe and building up the leg muscles ?
I'm sure he,d respond quite well because he's never ever touched a weight or a protein shake:)

Obviously I'm asking here because the doctors here would just laugh if he suggested a weight training program with testosterone.

Cheers for reading lads and ladies ,
Look up Prolotherapy, i'm trying to get my dad to get off his ass and get it for his knees, i'll probably end up paying for it he's so cheap. Anyways, it's several injections done around the joint that will give your body a kick in the ass to heal it's self and regrow cartilage, tendons and ligaments. My chiropracter has had two sessions know and his bum shoulder is completely better, he's suffered for 10 years. Check out it out on youtube for videos.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
Prolotherapy is an interesting option. It's starting to shed it's lablel as an "experimental treatment". Most health insurance plans won't cover it. But, if it works, it's a helluva lot cheaper and won't take him out of action as long as a knee scope or replacement.

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
I looked up the prolotherapy option but it will not help bone on bone related pain. Seriously if he is overweight lose the excess pounds and look into ostarine it is being considered a treatment for osteoporosis for its bone healing attributes.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
This is a good thread for me as I received a severe knee injury last December. I haven't been on here since that time. I was working out, in fact, and I ruptured the tendons attached to the pattela. In English, both sides of my quad tendons ripped completely away from my knee bone, taking a piece of the knee bone with them. My quads moved upwards, and were useless, and my knee moved slghtly downward and out of place. This required surgery 12 weeks ago, which 3 holes were drilled in trhe knee and the tendons were attached using heavy guage wire. It's just starting to be something like normal. Its not pain, so much as unstableness, and my fear of being helpless if it gets worse.

The problem is not just the weak knee tendons, but the strain on the ligaments behind that right knee from having to get around stiff legged to barely function. My lower back and left hip get stressed often due to the inbalance created by this right knee injury. I know a few tricks and my lower back and left hip are feeling better, but the right knee is healing so s.l..o...w....y it's depressing.

I may ask about Prolotherapy, but first I'm going to get off all pain meds, and that should help a little.

Turtlepecs

Awards
Thanks for all the replys everyone , he's going ahead with the surgery .He's not over weight at all there's just no other option. They've given him morphine patches for the pain untill he gets the op.
Tuberman, Jesus that sounds painful ! Good luck with it .

So I guess the hopes my dad body building are gone :)
Cheers lads,

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
You could always have your dad work his upper body and abs hard, it couldn't hurt.

My pain lasted about 10 seconds then the area went totally numb, kind of a localized shock. That scared me more than the pain.

Turtlepecs

Awards
I think he's having a total replacement, there's so much cartilage missing his legs are bowed outwards !
I think I might try to get him to do abs and upper body.
He's pretty relaxed though with the morphine ,so it will be hard lol .

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
I use a lot of gear and it doesn't help my knees. Look into Aflutops. Its suppose to rebuild cartilage. Gerovital is another one to look into.