42 Year Old (Extremely Obese) Looking For Some Answers

ts8586

Awards
OK, I've been here before, but it's been a few years. Had a bad stretch over the past few years, but I'm really, really sick and tired of being a larda$$.
I'm a male, about 6 ft.1, 232 lbs. Just trying to get on the right track so I can swim with my kids and NOT have to wear a shirt! I also do so much reading about what to do to get going is that I get frustrated with the amount of information out there, a lot of it conflicting. I figure, might as well ask some people who aren't trying to sell an expensive exercise program! I have access to an elliptical and a pretty decent home gym (the Marcy Mach 4). Would love to get my use out of that.

I take fish oil (when I remember), Vitamin D, and Magnesium as far as vitamins/supplements go.

Any and all non-sarcastic advice welcome. Thank you.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
It's not so much what supplements you take as getting off the couch and using that eliptical.

It also means - NOT listening to they typical "one size fits all" advice you get from Doctors these days which says you can be physically fit just by walking around the block.

I don't know this particular elliptical model you have - I find most "home" ellipticals are ****. They are noisy, uneven and shaky. So if that's what you've got - better to join a gym where you'll find all kinds of cardio. You're going to have to do that eventually anyway because, even if you have a nice elliptical and manage to use it consistently for six months - you're going to get bored as **** of it - and your body is going to adapt to the movement anyway - and your gains will be less.

You need to concentrate on cardio - but you should lift some weights too to maintain muscle as you lose fat.

I would go two sessions of cardio - 40 minutes each with a five minute cooldown - so at least 45 minutes. One in the morning and one in the evening. Take it easy at first - but each day you should try to top the previous day's record for speed / resistance on the elliptical.

Honestly - I'd join a gym that has a Concept 2 rower - they are about the best thing I've found for losing body fat.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok for starters i'd say 6'1" 232 isn't extremely obese, barely even obese, not like thats really any consolation. You are maybe 30-40lbs over weight. Anyhow, the dietary portion of what you do is literally 10x more important than any specific details of the workouts or physical activity. Worry about diet first and just try to be more active in general. If you talk a bit about what your current diet is like I can help add some specific suggestions

ts8586

Awards
Once my financial situation straightens out, hopefully in the next month, I'll be looking into a gym, Honda. But I will definitely get going on the cardio, at least.

And EasyEJL, my diet is crap. Aside from the morning protein shake before work, it's all downhill after that. It does keep me full between morning and lunch. So anything you have to offer will definitely be an improvement.

And my son's Nintendo Wii said I was morbidly obese, or something to that effect! LOL!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm from charts your ideal weight is somewhere in the 160-190 range, so it doesn't seem that bad. I'm 5'9.5 and hit over 240 at 39, and was right at that morbidly obese point.

The critical part though with both the diet and exercise is to find things that will actually work, that you will actually do. So you really need to detail out what you do today, and then we can dissect it and come up with reasonable series of changes over time to where you build the habits of eating right. Its TONS more critical to approach it that way after 40 years old as you've had a long time building the bad habits, so you have to begin to break them permanently. Otherwise you'll get down to a decent 190 by the end of summer this year, but balloon back to 230 by january.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
And my son's Nintendo Wii said I was morbidly obese, or something to that effect! LOL!
Nintendo Wii - THE VOICE of AUTHORITY! /s

One thing that helped me was - I just stopped eating processed food and cut my carbs. It's really hard to gain weight and get fat on natural foods. It seems to smooth out the insulin spikes for me and I just feel better throughout the day - when before I was on a roller coaster.

Now I will tell you this ... I made a decsion, after researching it - not to worry at all about my Cholesterol levels. They can go to 500 - I don't give a ****. I don't even know what my "cholesterol" levels are - I don't pay attention to them. And - since I don't - this allows me to eat any amount of eggs and red meat I want - so I have more options when it comes to eating naturally.

People can criticize it - but I'll tell you - since I've been eating this way I've turned into a ****ing barbarian. I feel like my test levels are sky high - I still build muscle, even off cycle and my BF is no higher than 13% even though I don't really try to get very lean. I'm 49 and most guys my age have problems with energy level and weight management and libido. Not me - I'm taking off work early today to go home and take Mrs. Honda on the Persian rug in our living room - and I may take her twice if the mood hits me! LOL

Steakumm

Steakumm

Awards
Dont eat at night Nothing but water after dinner. Get out and start walking every marathon starts with the first step. low cARBS

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Easy nailed it on the head dude- diet is NUMBER ONE! then exercise and finally supplements- your goals you could reach in 6 months easy with some discipline and effort.

clean clean diet, exercise 4-5x a week, and basic supplements (protein, bcaa, multi, creatine)

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I was here a few years ago: 6'4", 265 and wondering how I let myself get to that point. Start with simple, good habits. Start weeding out the junk when you get groceries. No more chips, fried foods, sugary junk food, and soda. You don't have to do it all at once, but work towards changing your eating habits so it doesn't feel like you're on a diet, but rather changing the way you eat for the better. Start exercising. Even if it's just 25 push-ups every morning, you're creating another good habit that can grow into more as it becomes more comfortable. Eventually, you'll want to work towards doing some strength training and some cardio on a daily basis, but for now just pick somewhere to start. As you start seeing results, you'll be motivated to do more. Just do your homework and try to stay away from diet and training fads. If you're consistent, you will get where you want to be.

I'm 195 lbs. and approx. 9% body fat now, by the way. If I (and countless others) can do it, so can you.

Turboflex

Turboflex

Awards
I got nothin to add that aint been sed.. so I'm just here to agree the doods sayn a clean diet is answer.. i own a gym and tell people everyday, you can come here as much as you want, and buy as many supps as you can afford, but if your diet isn't in check it's all for shyt cuz you'll never reach your goals and be where you wanna be..

Most people I say that to respond with "O I will never beable to eat all those clean foods!!" then usally go right back to the "magical" supplements that will do all the work for them.. I just give em the WTF look, shake my head in disapointment and sell em some kinda preworkout.. :(

*My General Rule
If it was never capable of walking, flying, swimming, screwing, had roots or grew from something that did ect. DONT EAT IT!!

divo006

divo006

Awards
those things are bull****, my buddies told me that i had 20% BF (i have 10%BF after real measurements) and that i had the body of a 35 year old...im 24 and work in a RV trailer factory, if you dont know what trailer factory or RV factory work is like, let me explain in a short phrase...you run your ass off 8-12 even 16 hours a day + i workout 4 days a week....anyway...without a membership to a gym or access to a machine you can still do yourself a favor and change your diet...that would be #1 on the to-do list before you even think about excersise. i tell people this all the time who complain about being over weight and they just look at me like a deer in the headlights telling me im nuts and its easier said that done...well yes, it is easier said than done but whos the one that has to live with themselves? you do. no its not easy, yes it is hard work but the pay off is AWESOME! stay motivated, stay strong, and dont frickin bullsh*t yourself or you will fail..

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Hmm from charts your ideal weight is somewhere in the 160-190 range, so it doesn't seem that bad. I'm 5'9.5 and hit over 240 at 39, and was right at that morbidly obese point.

The critical part though with both the diet and exercise is to find things that will actually work, that you will actually do. So you really need to detail out what you do today, and then we can dissect it and come up with reasonable series of changes over time to where you build the habits of eating right. Its TONS more critical to approach it that way after 40 years old as you've had a long time building the bad habits, so you have to begin to break them permanently. Otherwise you'll get down to a decent 190 by the end of summer this year, but balloon back to 230 by january.
Damn good advice. I reached 230lbs back in 2006 and I am now around 185. I had gotten bored with the gym and really have always hated cardio, so I decided to do something completely different. I started BJJ and it forced me to look at the whole picture: cardio and strength. Since then I have started doing crossfit and I am fitter then I have ever been.

But as others have said: its very hard to out workout a crappy diet.

protoculture

Awards
I know I will get slammed for this, but I don't care because it worked for me and it MIGHT work for you too.

I used to weigh 220. ( I'm 5'9" and actually carried it ok, but I was FAT ). Anyway, I'm going to give you another option that the others may not have yet.

I got myself down from 220 to 170 without excercise, other than light yoga/stretching. How did I do that?

Fasting.

Yup. Once a week for 24-48 hours I would consume only water. I was losing on a consistent basis 2 lbs a week. I did it so my fast started at night 10pm and woke up on my fast day ( no stress day, or as little as possible - so do weekend if you work a 9-5 ). Anyway, my body went into fast mode while I slept so it was easier to deal with. When I got up it wasn't really that hard to not eat.

Seeing the pounds coming off really help my motivation to stick with it. 24 hours is good, but 36 hours is even better.

here are those who will say you lose muscle as well, but I think this is overstated, particualry if you are overweight.... the body knows what to keep to and what to get rid of. Don't be scared from this option - fasted is tried and true technique for health and has a LONG history. Its really quite safe and beneficial.

It you want more info PM me, be glad to share the specifics on how I did it.

Bob Jones

Awards
I am still fat 5'8 200 Lb , but I have been fatter . When I was fat I sat in the sun and drank cool gin and tonic . I could care less what people thought, if they did not like my fat belly , tough, and I sure aint hiding . Now at 57 I do my best to keep things together for myself. I still have a long way to go , looking for 175 lb .

I think a gym is a good idea. It gets you out of the house , and you wont get interrupted when working out . Also the other fat old men working out give inspiration.
Get rid of all the junk food in you house, and just stick to simple unprocessed food .
Oat meal , vegetables , eggs , clean meat, fill up on salad , and eat enough to keep going, dont starve yourself . That is my 2 cence