Can an old man get huge?

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Pretty much, what I want to see is opinions if a 35-40-45-50 year old with a decent foundation can get HUGE with the right training/diet/drugs/supplements.

I see old guys who are kinda big, and old guys who are ripped and old guys who are in good shape, but can one get huge, I mean really huge at that stage of life?

Before anybody takes offense, I fall into the above mentioned age categories, and only use the term "old" to distinguish the parameters of my question.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Without roids i think it would be very hard to do. Even keeping test levels high would not make you huge. Some of the otc supps would help.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definitely possible, just harder the older you start. HGH + Testosterone can work wonders on anyone

slimguy

Awards
Albert beckles didn't start bodyduilding till he was 52...

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
IDK. I'll be 42 this fall. stats: 5-6 170 lbs. Bench 335, squat 400, never maxed out. Only a few PH cycles...otherwise just lots of good food/protien shakes, and herbal supps+my vitamins.

I'm trying to get huge, but the size of my stomach just wont let me. Can't eat enough to get to 185lbs.lol

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
yes and its not that hard if you have had a good workout history.in many cases i think its easer at 35 then 25 when it comes to diet nutrition and not drinking.the bigest problem i have is joints they do not hold up as will as they did at 25

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes and its not that hard if you have had a good workout history.in many cases i think its easer at 35 then 25 when it comes to diet nutrition and not drinking.the bigest problem i have is joints they do not hold up as will as they did at 25
exactly....additionally, now that I am 34 I realize I train smarter and with greater discipline than I did at 24 or even 14

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
im 30 and my bf is very low and my muscle are the biggest they have ever been.

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
Damn it !!! why didn't I think of that.... at 56 I guess I'm old, you are as old as you feel...lol. Just kidding, there is only one difference, we have to lift a lot smarter not harder. At 32 I was 241 at 5'7'' I never thought as being large, now I'm 181.5 and still growing..again. I do believe that diet and correct supplements can make all the difference. It's easier today to stay on a strict diet and workout, than it was years ago. I see us older guys getting bigger all the time, healthier and stronger.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn it !!! why didn't I think of that.... at 56 I guess I'm old, you are as old as you feel...lol. Just kidding, there is only one difference, we have to lift a lot smarter not harder. At 32 I was 241 at 5'7'' I never thought as being large, now I'm 181.5 and still growing..again. I do believe that diet and correct supplements can make all the difference. It's easier today to stay on a strict diet and workout, than it was years ago. I see us older guys getting bigger all the time, healthier and stronger.
i feel better now than i did in my teens and 20s. i got rid of all the sugar,i dont eat,drink,and wash with anything that has a dye in it. i went all natural and only eat twice per day. best i have ever felt

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i feel better now than i did in my teens and 20s. i got rid of all the sugar,i dont eat,drink,and wash with anything that has a dye in it. i went all natural and only eat twice per day. best i have ever felt
Only eat twice per day?!!! Are they 2 giant ass meals?

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
I'm taking some downtime from the gym and I still have to eat 4x to 5x per day. I worked out with a guy who did the am/pm one meal and it was working for him. I would have withdraw doing that.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
I'm taking some downtime from the gym and I still have to eat 4x to 5x per day. I worked out with a guy who did the am/pm one meal and it was working for him. I would have withdraw doing that.
carb cycling at our age mate

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
and Ageless is 65 now with updated pictures

that big enough for you?
and i dont consider myself old but at 43 i ainn no spring chicken but i absolutelu guarantee ill get there, i have the determination and im aquiring the knowlege

Ageless old buddy you inspire me

BIG R

Awards
I think its a lot easier to get big at older age if you used to be big in your youth then if you never worked out much.

Muscle has memory.

Im 41, lifted hard until my early 30s, then stayed in fair shape. Then woke up last christmas and realized somehow fat-pigness had creeped up on me. Busting my ass now to get back to my prime levels, and Ive found its coming back quick....but Im thinking that actually passing any lifts that I had in the past is going to be far more difficult then regaining what I lost.

We shall see. Im certainly going to try.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Being smarter has its advantages, but I get injured more, have lower test levels and my insulin has had years of sugar. I used to never get hurt from lifting. Although being smarter keeps test high I'm still no 25yr old. Also I dont think my insulin is working as well as it used to when I was young. Trying to reverse the insulin damage. I'm 36 and still trying to get large but I've accepted the fact that I'll never be 6'0 240 with abs.

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
I can not set limits, I set goals. I have to agree with edwitt, he wants it and he is going after it. I'm getting my cruise controll fixed, 16 wk cycle planned start July 1st may be delayed but I have a workout and 7x per day meal plan. The wife took it to work and her nutritionist is reviewing the meal plan. ( she works at a rehab center ) Three bases now are covered, next is what to stack with test e during the 16 week run. At the end of cycle it is what it is, 200 maybe 205, no new injuries goal complete whats next, g2g again!! In short, set a goal and go for it, just one goal after another.

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
Didn't mean to step on anothers thread, anyone can put their .02 in on cycle thread. We just have to review our health issues and set new goals. My goals are smaller and well planned, I have had enough gym injuries and it takes alot longer to recover.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Ageless now 65

Just does TRT levels of Test that it and a good diet

33097d1273026776-gym-pics-61-p5040062.jpg

Big enough for you

MEPSE

MEPSE

Awards
Wow - he still has hair! Congratulations to Ageless on looking great. At 46, I am currently bigger than I have ever been. I started lifting 30 years ago, although I was not really consistent until about 2 years ago. I still use a lot of weight, and have been fortunate to avoid injury so far. I am working on losing some BF, and am shooting for 190 lbs at 8% BF by the end of the summer. To compare, I competed at age 21 and weighed 165 lbs.

MEPSE

MEPSE

Awards
One other comment I forgot to make - I have 2 friends here in town, and all 3 of us are 46 years old. Both of them are also in the peak condition of their life, and both became IFBB pros last year at age 45. They motivate me every day. The bottom line is that there are many examples of older guys reaching new heights in physical condition all around us.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
One other comment I forgot to make - I have 2 friends here in town, and all 3 of us are 46 years old. Both of them are also in the peak condition of their life, and both became IFBB pros last year at age 45. They motivate me every day. The bottom line is that there are many examples of older guys reaching new heights in physical condition all around us.
thats great im 43 and ive got a lot of work to do but id love to get to competition level in a couple of years

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
I've got work to do as well, but we can do it.
Well I ain't kidding you can follow my progress as I am logging the journey

Link to that log in my signature

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
My biggest issue to getting "huge" at 36 is the fact that I do not cut weight from around my waist the way I did when I was 22. I could cut weight by thinking about it back then and now I cut weight everywhere except my abs. So, at 202 now, I wouldn't want to put my body through the gauntlet it would have to endure to reach, say, 225-245, with low bf. That would mean that I would have to be around 255-265 in order to cut down to 225ish and stay around 8% bf. That isn't going to happen, period.

On top of that, my joints are seriously killing me after each and every session now when back 10-14 years ago, I never had knee, back, ankle issues. That alone would keep me from getting "huge" right now.

I have decided to look the best I can at 200-215 with as low bf as I can achieve. I can look huge at this weight if my bf is low enough. When i was around 235, around age 20ish, I was kinda of miserable in terms of comfort.

But, of course, as the pic above shows, there are exceptions to all of these rules.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
My biggest issue to getting "huge" at 36 is the fact that I do not cut weight from around my waist the way I did when I was 22. I could cut weight by thinking about it back then and now I cut weight everywhere except my abs. So, at 202 now, I wouldn't want to put my body through the gauntlet it would have to endure to reach, say, 225-245, with low bf. That would mean that I would have to be around 255-265 in order to cut down to 225ish and stay around 8% bf. That isn't going to happen, period.

On top of that, my joints are seriously killing me after each and every session now when back 10-14 years ago, I never had knee, back, ankle issues. That alone would keep me from getting "huge" right now.

I have decided to look the best I can at 200-215 with as low bf as I can achieve. I can look huge at this weight if my bf is low enough. When i was around 235, around age 20ish, I was kinda of miserable in terms of comfort.

But, of course, as the pic above shows, there are exceptions to all of these rules.
For joint

Cissus and Animal Flex and stretch stretch and stretch some more lifting will be so much more enjoyable. If ur an AAS guy stay away from Winny add NPP to any cycles

And for the belly carb cycling works like a dream for me

Taper those carbs off during the day get em in around WO and fasted cardio

Id be glad to go into further depth

Stop by my log anytime and ask away

C Dub805

C Dub805

Awards
I'm 35, stand 6ft 2in and weigh a pretty solid and lean 240lbs. I'm not "huge" by modern day bodybuilder standards, but certainly one of the beefiest guys in my gym. I have 18.5 inch arms to boot.

Now, to answer your question....I started bodybuilding at the age of 33 and my starting weight was about 195, so I gained a significant amount of lean muscle mass in the course of two years and in my 30's!

Make no mistake, genetics plays a major role in determining how "huge" one will get au naturel. I've never taken any juice, PH's, etc. However, I am leaning towards trying my very first PH cycle with something like H-Drol to see if I can pack on a few more quality pounds of muscle and increase my strength a tad.

I eat a very clean, high calorie diet and consume a decent amount of quality/complex carbs and protein. My supps include multi-vitamins, fish oils, flaxseed, creatine AKG, l-arginine AKG, glutamine, glucosamine, and ZMA.

MEPSE

MEPSE

Awards
Sounds like you're doing everything right. I have started using PH's somewhat regularly, and I like the results. Some older guys (like DreamWeaver) get good results from herbs and test boosters, and some don't. I feel like all of the above work for me, and I just keep switching around to keep gaining. I personally like to pulse PH's 3 times per week on workout days, and I only use OTC PCT. I am working on shedding the extra fat right now, and will be using P-Mag next. I did feel like Prime worked well also.

C Dub805

C Dub805

Awards
Sounds like you're doing everything right. I have started using PH's somewhat regularly, and I like the results. Some older guys (like DreamWeaver) get good results from herbs and test boosters, and some don't. I feel like all of the above work for me, and I just keep switching around to keep gaining. I personally like to pulse PH's 3 times per week on workout days, and I only use OTC PCT. I am working on shedding the extra fat right now, and will be using P-Mag next. I did feel like Prime worked well also.
You mentioned you "pulse" PH's 3 x per week. I am familiar with the "pulse" method and its mixed reviews and so I would be interested to hear how it's working for you???

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Check out my log

Link in my signature

The pictures at the beginning show a tall lanky out of shapy 42 year old man, scroll down and you will see how far I have come in a short period of time and I'm still growing, I am ever conscioud of injury especially as I've come so far and would hate to be derailed by injury.

That being said nothing is slowing me down I just take every known precaution to man, take a look and if you wanna get big there's no reason why age should be a factor,

After a life time of being skinny I set out a very detailed plan and its working

MEPSE

MEPSE

Awards
You mentioned you "pulse" PH's 3 x per week. I am familiar with the "pulse" method and its mixed reviews and so I would be interested to hear how it's working for you???
I have liked pulsing because it reduces sides for me, and I feel like my shut down is minimal. I also tend to run longer when pulsing - M-drol for 6 weeks and M1,4ADD for 6 weeks, bridging into D-plex for 3 more weeks (took about 10 weeks off after M-drol before the M1,4ADD). My first PH cycle was Epistane every day for 5 weeks, and I shut down hard. Also, I feel like pulsing works better for older guys. Everyone is different, but I will stick with pulsing from now on.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Yes he is one of my trie inspirations

C Dub805

C Dub805

Awards
How is the "pulsing" working for you and what compounds do you pulse?

JOHN 62

Awards
49 years old first h-drol cycle need help

just started my cycle monday it looks like this
75/75/75/75/75/75
first pill 7am second+third at 3pm
cycle assist 11 am &9pm pre loaded 10 days prior

pct
pct assist
nolva
inhibit e
also have some arimadex
need help with the proper dosege

supplements
gnc sport vita pak
pre workout dymatize xpand
post workout wheybolic 60 3 scoops & vitargo 2 scoops
also just pick up anmial pak traning pak

any help would be greatly appreciated

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Using Herbs can work but it takes a lot of discipline and planning. The advantage is the ability to take then for long periods of time and run them back to back. The only other reasonable alternative would be TRT and that is not easily done here in Canada, or so I hear. From what I have read and seen though TRT would make me a lot bigger and leaner than I do on herbs. My Natural test is still pretty high though so I don't want to depend on synthetic just yet, or maybe never....

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Pretty much, what I want to see is opinions if a 35-40-45-50 year old with a decent foundation can get HUGE with the right training/diet/drugs/supplements.

I see old guys who are kinda big, and old guys who are ripped and old guys who are in good shape, but can one get huge, I mean really huge at that stage of life?

Before anybody takes offense, I fall into the above mentioned age categories, and only use the term "old" to distinguish the parameters of my question.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
id like to sidetrack this if i can ,sorry OP, and ask can an older guy say 45 upwards, build muscle . Im lucky enough to have test replacement therapy- every 11 weeks i get a fresh supply of testosterone which peaks for approx 5 of those weeks at the upper end of the range for a man.Yet despite trying to do everything by the book , building muscle has been and is a hard task.

So whats the missing link?

I train 4x a week for approx 1 hour, Cardio is limited to walking and in the gym about 10 min on the bike.

I take creatine, bcaa, a preworkout -all the usual supplements but it s very hard work.
So do you reach a point in your life that all you can expect to get from a gym session is to maintain a decent shape,and stay in good health -i just dont know.

seunim

seunim

Awards
  • Established
Who should you visit and what tests should you ask for to see if TRT is an option?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Who should you visit and what tests should you ask for to see if TRT is an option?
the first thing your doctor will ask you , is why do you think your testosterone is low. You will have to put up a strong argument to justify treatment imo. So i suggest you do your research via google as to what the symptons are for low testosterone ie outside the normal range and see if you can identify with anyof them.
If you can convince your doctor then to take a blood test , youve moved forward. However the result of the blood test will tell you if treatment is justified.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the first thing your doctor will ask you , is why do you think your testosterone is low. You will have to put up a strong argument to justify treatment imo. So i suggest you do your research via google as to what the symptons are for low testosterone ie outside the normal range and see if you can identify with anyof them.
If you can convince your doctor then to take a blood test , youve moved forward. However the result of the blood test will tell you if treatment is justified.
Yah I have never really had any of the symptoms except for when I was out of shape. When I am back in the gym and in shape my libido is sky high, (to the point it's actually a little big annoying), I have good energy, I feell strong. This does not mean I am putting on tons of muscle though. There are increases though. I have to admit if administered by a doctor and safe, I would love to get a little boost though. I would have to wait till I stopped competing though. Maybe when I'm in my sixties...

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When did being in the 30s constitute oldness...especially when weight lifting or strength is considered? Arent most of the worlds strongest men in their 30s?

I would think a better question would involve guys in their 60s at least. Of course some guy, in the words of the OP "with a decent foundation", can get huge if hes in his mid thirties.

I have friends in their 40s who have never lifted a weight before who a lot of people would consider huge already, just from a lifetime of outside work, lots of food, and great genetics. Id love to get them in the gym.
Yah I am just starting to notice a difference now that I'm in my fifties... most of it has to do with joints and small injuries. Just ordered 4 bottles of SuperCissus...

BIG R

Awards
When did being in the 30s constitute oldness...especially when weight lifting or strength is considered? Arent most of the worlds strongest men in their 30s?

I would think a better question would involve guys in their 60s at least. Of course some guy, in the words of the OP "with a decent foundation", can get huge if hes in his mid thirties.

I have friends in their 40s who have never lifted a weight before who a lot of people would consider huge already, just from a lifetime of outside work, lots of food, and great genetics. Id love to get them in the gym.

(reposted....I deleted it because i was going to rewrite it, but the esteemed Dreamweaver quoted it so I reposted)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
id like to sidetrack this if i can ,sorry OP, and ask can an older guy say 45 upwards, build muscle . Im lucky enough to have test replacement therapy- every 11 weeks i get a fresh supply of testosterone which peaks for approx 5 of those weeks at the upper end of the range for a man.Yet despite trying to do everything by the book , building muscle has been and is a hard task.

So whats the missing link?

I train 4x a week for approx 1 hour, Cardio is limited to walking and in the gym about 10 min on the bike.

I take creatine, bcaa, a preworkout -all the usual supplements but it s very hard work.
So do you reach a point in your life that all you can expect to get from a gym session is to maintain a decent shape,and stay in good health -i just dont know.
What you have to think is that there are plenty of 22 year old guys here who have a hard time building muscle too. So its not just about the age, its also about all the rest of the details. So better to dissect it all, diet, training, rest, etc and see where the weak points are. If you want to start a thread to talk about it, or PM me.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What you have to think is that there are plenty of 22 year old guys here who have a hard time building muscle too. So its not just about the age, its also about all the rest of the details. So better to dissect it all, diet, training, rest, etc and see where the weak points are. If you want to start a thread to talk about it, or PM me.
Very good point...:fing02:

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
I am 39 and my Test levels are low....Total 270 and Free 60.....but my libido is higher than it has ever been and I don't have any trouble gaining muscle. Other than injuries, I cannot tell a difference as fair as gaining muscle and losing body fat. My injuries are what holds me back now and that is related to wear and tear and age. But I honestly look better now than I ever have.

Seems like your Test levels are not the "be all end all" like people seem to think. Based on my Total T and Free T, I should be having trouble maintaining muscle mass etc. I think that how we feel, sex drive and the ability to gain muscle is way more complicated than it is thought to be by most people. Seems like if my test levels were really what determined all the above, then if my levels got up to 700 or 800 then I would be humping the couch and would look like a gorilla.......there just has to be a lot more to it than just Test levels.

Sorry I went off on a tangent.......

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good point about Albert Beckles...

<-------------- Me at 51 and that pic is a year old i am bigger + more cut now newer pics to follow !!!

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Good point about Albert Beckles...

<-------------- Me at 51 and that pic is a year old i am bigger + more cut now newer pics to follow !!!
nice

43 and getting bigger stronger not so much faster

IMG_2096.jpg